[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ingame shaders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 3dtext.jpg (13KB, 300x322px) Image search: [Google]
3dtext.jpg
13KB, 300x322px
Any pointers on realistic textures and what needs to be payed attention too - in relations to shaders and the way models are rendered within the game environment?
>>
i noticed what differs a realistic model from unrealistic models is the AO map.

so that's important

hmm what else.. the hair needs to have alpha planes, there is a way to do that with zbrush fiber mesh or something. im not sure how.

don't expect procedural textures to do all the work, add some of your own brush paint in places where you think its needed.
>>
>>554574
first time i hear about AO maps. in most cases i worked with a uv map, specular and bumps.

just looked it up - will gona look into baking them into a texture, thx so much for the info dude.
>>
>>554587
roughness and metallic maps are important too. in addition with realtime lightning

rendered in hdri with reflection sphere
>>
>>554595
roughness and metallic are way more important than AO in PBR

If you want realism you're gonna go with PBR. Learn the workflow, there should be some decent (although heavy and somewhat impractical) documentation.

I would say what matters the most for realism is good base color and glossiness, texture bump (micro or macro depending on your material), good use of gloss variations, good use of dirt/wear, and post process/tonemapping.
>>
>>554597
Rough is gloss my confused anon
>>
>>554587
Why would you need to bake AO into textures when you can just enable AO in your engine?
This isn't a rhetorical 'im trying to be a smartass' comment; genuinely don't know.
>>
>>554657
>This isn't a rhetorical 'im trying to be a smartass' comment; genuinely don't know

not at all, quite a vaild question - i might have not read is this the board for pro developers or just a general 3d. I am not developing a game, simpy doing a mod or two.

As soon as the first reply mentioned AO, which i never heard of, i looked it up and besides ambient occlusion theory first practical results were along the line 'bake them into a texture' - which i am guessing it is a uv spread fine tuned attachment to a texture. Had a brief look into it so far.

>>554595
this comment will make me re-read blue and red book and phong stuff from ages ago and another plane of existance lol

what i am attempting to do, when i got time and will to play with it, is to map some quality texture via blender models into pro evo game - starting point is https://implyingrigged.info/wiki/Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2016/Faces

as it can be seen from the link, just faces for players
>>
File: Sub-Surface-Scattering-Example.jpg (26KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sub-Surface-Scattering-Example.jpg
26KB, 500x400px
>>554569
A realistic skin shader is based on physical based and organic rendering.

Important:
>Albedo texture - For coloring the skin, no shadow or light information included like in a diffuse texutre, just color.
>Specular texture - Basically how glossy/rough the object is and what color the specular light has, for humans it's generally a grey value of 0.6
>Normal texture - For mesh and skin details, skin often has two normalmaps, a standard one and one for microskin detail, based on how organic your material is, you blur the normals a bit for faked light scattering within the skin
>Wrap lighting - Doesn't have to be a texture, this is for the "red ring" between light and shadow that appears on the skin, which is also part of the next important feature
>Subsurface scattering/Transmission texture - Light passes through organic objects like humans, which is why when you hold your finger in front of a lamp, you see it going red like E.T., or ears going red/orange in movies when the sun is behind a person. Anyways subsurface scattering is faking this effect with a texture.
>Ambient occlusion texture - Adds more detailed shadowing to the character

If you don't understand what i mean with the "red ring" between light and shadow and light passing through an organic object, look at pic related.
>>
>>554670
got it.

info i got so far from you guys gives me few new options to try out.

thx anons!
>>
>>554657
Because ingame AO is very (VERY) crude and deosn't preserve or pay attention to fine detail (wrinkles etc) at all. Realtime AO should be used to differentiate between two objects or add a basic layer of extra shade on a big object. AO maps are used to make the shading "pop" some more by adding crisp "micro-shadows" mostly in areas without string direct lighting.
>>
>>554695
*strong direct lighting
>>
>>554695
Oh, and if you come across the term "cavity map" - that's basically an AO map with a more extreme focus on very fine details.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.