[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I going to have to learn 2D so I can get some god damn references

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: shelter.png (139KB, 367x535px) Image search: [Google]
shelter.png
139KB, 367x535px
Am I going to have to learn 2D so I can get some god damn references for my models?

PLS tell me I don't have to spend years learning 2D, just so I can always have a reference available for my hobbies
>>
What are you making? Pic related?
>>
File: ccb2c7b3a52766366c44d3f7cb7e4b6d.png (602KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ccb2c7b3a52766366c44d3f7cb7e4b6d.png
602KB, 1920x1200px
Welcome to the harsh world that is called real life, anon. A world where artists don't draw character sheets of the characters you like, and even when they do and it's some god-tier level art, they don't do it right all the way.

Along with all the in-betweens of not matching the height of two different perspectives, drawing stuff two different ways in two different views, not drawing important decorations/decals characters use in clothes on a flat, easy to use view, not drawing the hands in, etc etc. 3D modelers get the shortest end of the stick when it comes to modelling cute girls and the average artist isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I yearn for the day when companies start allowing their professional artists to put out their reference sheets for CG students. That will be a day I orgasm without even touching my dick.
>>
>>554177
I'd love to make pic-related.
But I'm talking about in general.

I'd like to make me some original anime 3D cuties that have great proportions.

I find 3D infinitely easier with a reference sheet though.
>>
File: Anime.jpg (76KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
Anime.jpg
76KB, 1136x640px
>>554172
>Shitty overrated techno artist collaborates with the worst anime studio in Japan to make moeshit garbage.
>>
>>554186
but no one wants to see this kind of shit nor will pay you. world is flooded by shitty anime. why would we need more. please stop.
>>
>>554214
Why should I care about your opinion on my hobby?
>>
The realities of 3D character design dictate that you need to have a solid understanding of superficial anatomy. With such, you can just box in the basic dimensions that you can pull from just about any full body image and fill in the blanks yourself without comprehensive references.
>>
>>554186
If that's the case, you'll have to make a character sheet yourself. In most cases having the front and/or 3/4 is enough to draw the side and back view. If there are no information in certain things you can just make it up.

>He doesn't know how to draw
>>
>>554172

You either learn 2D or you learn how to 3D sketch. That's the only way to create your own references.
>>
>>554172

If you can't into 2D, eventually you'll learn enough 3D that you can block out shit without needing pixel perfect orthographic scans

Takes a long time though
>>
>>554812
I wonder, is it possible to get enough experience to do an "accurate enough" modelling off of a sheet like this?

You see this all over the internet, artists will draw a front and back view on a random pose. If you eliminate the need for a second view, you could potentially model off of a lot more material out there on the internet.
>>
>>554903
OP, ur such a faggot if you believe that lazy ass shit. Suck it up and learn the skill you twat. Instead of wasting time fuming and then commenting on, you could have been working on something productive like some 2D art you fat piece of shit.
>>
File: IMG_7518.jpg (34KB, 364x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7518.jpg
34KB, 364x366px
>>554172

just trace shit in photoshop don't get that cocky "I don't wanna be a tracer" cocky artist bullshit. just do it. nobody cares.

>watching reviews of 90s movies
>mfw my worst shit looks better than the fx in my favorite movies as a kid
>>
>>554172

Art teacher / 3D practitioner here.

Every time I see a character model or other attempt at creating human anatomy, I can tell immediately whether or not the person who made it has spent any time at all learning how to draw. I am correct 90% of the time.

The difference that just attending 2 or 3 life-drawing classes (yes, sitting in a room drawing a nude lady) will make to your understanding of anatomy and composition is huge.
>>
>>554172

First of all I have never, ever met a competent 3D character artist that hasn't studied anatomy or life drawing. Achieving a decent understanding of human anatomy in 2D is the easy part. Learning how to translate those shapes into a 3D form that looks correct from all angles is much, much harder. So save yourself the trouble and do the groundwork, learn basic anatomy in 2D.

>>554178

No, you've got it wrong. First of all you don't need 73 million different orthographic views to model a character, you need a solid understanding of anatomy, muscle groups and a basic understanding of bone structure. Google character concept art from any triple A title from the last 10 years and you'll find that nothing but 3/4 or posed views.

If you're focusing more on matching a character sheet to the pixel and not focusing on understanding the structure of their body you're doing it wrong.

Also side note, both of those images, and anime in general, are S H I T for character modelling. There is absolutely no definition of form on an anime character, 90% of the time it's one solid colour for the skin. There's no way to tell where their cheekbones go, how big their nose is, how deep their eyes rest in the skull etc...
>>
>>554172
3D programs are just tools for making 2D renders. If you want to make people, you need to understand anatomy.

Also when you are making people, you are never not drawing in 3D. Even when you are drawing an anime character you are drawing in 3D, it's just being rendered on a 2D piece of paper.

Like let's say you wanted to make one of those characters, the only limiting factor of using just that image should be that you'd have to guess what you can't see.
>>
>>555022
I didn't say you needed "73 million" orthographic views. But having at least a front and a side view on a T-pose to determine the basic shape of the object would be a common decency to give a modeler when you draw a sheet like this.

It's not like it's hard for your average artist, just look at my example pic. What in the blazes stopped that guy from including her on a frontal T-pose when he did just that for a side and a back view?

And I mean, yeah, you can go find anatomy classes or look up videos on youtube or whatever, but if you just had a couple of decent views, you could get most of the modelling process done without much knowledge of anatomy at all, since at that point, you're just dragging vertices onto the right places based on the reference. You shouldn't have to compensate for sheets like this when the artist could've very well included those two basic views in for you, but just didn't.
>>
>>555212
As an addendum to this, I realize this post sounds like "Waah, I'm lazy and don't want to learn about anatomy so the artists should always include two views I can use to get started with modelling!". But I dunno, the "problem" seems a lot easier for an artist to fix, plus it would make sense that you would iron this out earlier in the modelling pipeline.
>>
>>554998
lol art teacher doesn't that usually mean failed/burnt out 3d artist?
>>
>>555214
The problem is you are for some reason assuming as a 3d modeler you aren't an artist and that everybody else should do the work for you.

With any decent concept you should be able to produce a model. You were given more than enough information there to produce a model. Fuck off.
>>
>>555320
>The problem is you are for some reason assuming as a 3d modeler you aren't an artist and that everybody else should do the work for you.

I didn't ask people to do the modelling work for me. I don't expect a concept artist to do my job either while I sit there with my thumbs up my ass. If you have this sort of modeler/character artist dynamic, it's a team effort to get to the goal.

>With any decent concept you should be able to produce a model. You were given more than enough information there to produce a model.

I didn't say the concept wasn't decent. It's obviously top-notch art. I said that it would be nice if, when artists are drawing this sort of character sheet, they included a basic front and side t-pose to make the initial modelling easier, especially for people like students and/or people starting out, that want to jump into the process but don't necessarily want to spend their first moments learning just human anatomy.

>Fuck off.

Why are you mad though? I'm not demanding anybody do anything and what I asked for is hardly unfeasible.
>>
>>555345
>I didn't say the concept wasn't decent. It's obviously top-notch art. I said that it would be nice if, when artists are drawing this sort of character sheet, they included a basic front and side t-pose to make the initial modelling easier, especially for people like students and/or people starting out, that want to jump into the process but don't necessarily want to spend their first moments learning just human anatomy.

If you are going to make humans, you need to understand human anatomy; period.

Especially, especially, ESPECIALLY if you are attempting to make something stylized a.k.a an anime character.

Every anime character done by a profession artist is a stylized human who was created based on human anatomy.

The whole purpose of a character sheet is not to let a novice, who knows nothing about human anatomy, make a person; it's to give guide lines for an artist who does, so they can accurately make a character from a concept.

3D is a tool, period. You still have to know how to fucking draw. And yes, unfortunately your first moments are going to be learning how to do exactly that.

The problem is that most people who take 3D courses are garbage who will likely never hit the wall that all artist who give a shit eventually hit. The big fucking neon lit realization that if you want to get better, you need to build the same foundation that generations of artist have built their careers on.

3D is not some cheat that let's you skip the basics. If you can't pick up a pencil right now and draw an anatomically correct person, you have no business trying to model one.
>>
File: debait.jpg (107KB, 2044x2048px) Image search: [Google]
debait.jpg
107KB, 2044x2048px
>>554201
>>
>>554172
Knowing 2D drawing helps but I don't think it's a requirement.
You just gotta see well/ distinguish details and mistakes and that takes years of practicing (in both 3D and 2D).

[spoiler]Since I do 3D as a hobby, I generally just lay down the important bits of my model and get the right proportions. I don't have a colored full model reference. If I can't draw something, I just pick out some refs of other artists copy/paste it, like a scrap book. If you're working in a team or pro it's necessary to have a full presentable model sheet, but if you're a hobbyfag then you can BS it a little bit.[/spoiler]
>>
>>555351
>3D is not some cheat that let's you skip the basics. If you can't pick up a pencil right now and draw an anatomically correct person, you have no business trying to model one.

Holy fuck, elitist-chan. Sorry not everyone wants or can be part of your artist-modeler cabal. Some of us just want to chill out and model some stuff based on references.

You sound just like the old fossils that made students do bowing exercises for months before they could even touch a violin concert. Then came Suzuki and his method revolutionized the way beginners could learn violin, by actually getting them engaged with songs from day one.

Whatever, stay stuck in your shitty frame of mind. What do I care if you think other people should be artists before they start modelling?
>>
>>555351
>3D is not some cheat that let's you skip the basics.

It really is tho. I can't draw for shit but I can still animate and model fairly well in 3D given enough reference. You really don't need to know how to draw because 3D and drawing are pretty different mediums.

Anatomy knowledge is helpful, but really the most important thing is to always be practicing and learning from your mistakes, not studying anatomy or drawing.
Your points would be valid if you were explicitly talking about creating characters 100% from scratch without reference, but with enough reference it really isn't too hard to make a model.

Point is, you'll either pick up on it eventually over time, or hit a wall and be forced to study anatomy and learn drawing, but it's kinda pointless for a beginner to learn that stuff before even attempting modeling.
>>
>>555375
If you think you're good now, imagine if you knew the fundamentals.
>>
>>554172
What the fuck is wrong with the little one's knees?

Anyway, you can probably download an anime model somewhere on the internet and then you just gotta change its hair, that's how all this shitty anime bullshit is made anyway.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.