[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shadows Spider Realtime Engine update

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: thirdPers0.jpg (142KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thirdPers0.jpg
142KB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHATrOyFHTU

My FLOSS engine continues to live. Check out the source now at https://github.com/bergjones/Shadows_Spider

>3/3
Added third person movement with a controller and its left and right sticks. Turns out that it was harder than it looked, to get the object to move and point the right way.My next move is replacing the teapot with an animated character that blends between a walk, a run, and an idle depending on controller movement.
>>
How hard would it be to move it to Vulkan? UE4 and most other engines vulkan support is still a hack job. Since your engine is still fairly early in development you could probably beat their Vulkan support easily.
>>
>>553900
not OP but vulkan is SIGNIFICANTLY harder compared to modern openGL
>>
>>553900
You can still get great results without vulkan if you use profiling tools on opengl and use multithreading or similar.
>>
>>553832
What's the end goal with this program?
>>
>>554038
I want to make a versatile real time engine that can be used from anything from third person to fps to fighting with examples for each and share it with everyone for free to get my name out there. I also wanted to get feedback on my code, but that hasn't happened yet although I do have some people downloading it off github. Most people are happy to script unreal / unity but not directly program openGL which really isnt that difficult and could save you cash in the end vs using an established commercial engine.
>>
File: Literally_cursed_treasure.gif (3MB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
Literally_cursed_treasure.gif
3MB, 400x274px
Okay, so you have gotten to the stage of OctaForge(lua scripting), Nexuiz, Tesseract, Cube 2, many Quake/Doom engine clones, Inexor, etc.

So beyond maybe having a shit editor, and 2010 reflections as default materials...
Do this engine offering anything?
How is the frame pacing?
Is the performance good?
Is importing from Blender good?
Will the default templates be good?
>>
>>554097
I have deferred PBR lighting, animation, and what I believe to be a very readable and understandable code base although you will have to decide that for yourself. I haven't really gotten into profiling or optimizations. You can import obj, fbx, or anything that assimp imports.
>>
Why
Shadow Spider
Do you plan to include a default model or something?
>>
File: shadow3.jpg (135KB, 1269x712px) Image search: [Google]
shadow3.jpg
135KB, 1269x712px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWetjmJ_qJU

Added a default water shader. Turns out it was harder than I thought to get everything to work together with the transparency and the SSR but I'm happy with the solution. It can still be greatly improved on and doesn't refract at all.

>>554993
I chose the name because I saw a spider's shadow one night when I was watching TV
>>
Making 3d engine in times of unreal and unity is waste of time, unless you do it strictly as practice.
>>
>>555946
No, its not. It benefits everyone. I prefer FLOSS as opposed to non-FLOSS
>>
>>555946
>Trying to create competition in the market is a waste of time.

Not that I think OP can get to the level of UE4 and Unity without a team of full-time paid professionals, but this is the wrong mindset to have, anon.
>>
>>555946
Why is it a waste? Unreal and Unities level making tools is generally crap.
They are also so oversized, its hard to just use the defaults(which are also intended to never be used)
>>
>>555980
Its not.
Its an over-saturated market and the competition has 5-10 years advantage.
>>
>>556023
>Its an over-saturated market
Most kits are pretty bad
>the competition has 5-10 years advantage.
Tutorials isn't worth as much as good defaults

Its like you don't understand why being in the marked is a advantage, or why.
>>
>>556023
the point of FLOSS is being free for everyone to use and examine and not being in "the market" at all. The engines you have mentioned are completely non-FLOSS. Don't you get it yet? FLOSS is the future and development towards that is only a good thing. Closed, paid, walled off software may work in the short term, but its not a long term solution
>>
>>553832
OP, please , make this thread a general, i am learning how to make an OpenGL engine myself, so this is really helpfull. Thumbs up, OP.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.