[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know any good ways of creating handpainted textures?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

Anyone know any good ways of creating handpainted textures?

Like maybe, generating some UVs for a 3D mesh and painting upon these? Or going even furthur by painting metallic colors and grabbing the normals etc somehow?

All tips regarding this please.
>>
Also, software for this kind of texture painting stuff?
>>
Literally wanted to post A thread like this just now. bump
need to make cartoony style character
>>
oh god cgpeers is dead right now, I cant search up sht
>>
>>552196
bump for interest
>>
>>552198

>>551534
551583 in said thread
>>
>>552193
>generating some UVs for a 3D mesh and painting upon these?
That's how we used to do it, the option to export the UVs or even draw on the texture is pretty much in any 3d program. Or you could just use substance painter.
>>
>>552193
high poly > lowpoly > unwrap > bake AO > paint over
u can choose the program that you want to paint over, all can do that, is a basic thing.
here u have the texturing guide of dota, is not handpainted but you can get the idea
https://support.steampowered.com/kb/8700-SJKN-4322/dota-2-character-texture-guide
>>
>>552193
and here you have a few tutorials more if u need
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials
>>
File: textureprocess01.jpg (291KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess01.jpg
291KB, 1118x654px
>>552193
I'll post the Michael Dashow tutorial
>>
File: textureprocess02.jpg (395KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess02.jpg
395KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess03.jpg (168KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess03.jpg
168KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess04.jpg (161KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess04.jpg
161KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess05.jpg (146KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess05.jpg
146KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess06.jpg (150KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess06.jpg
150KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess07.jpg (179KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess07.jpg
179KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess08.jpg (177KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess08.jpg
177KB, 1118x654px
>>
File: textureprocess09.jpg (182KB, 1118x654px) Image search: [Google]
textureprocess09.jpg
182KB, 1118x654px
Done!
>>
>>552222
thanks and checked
>>
Why isn''t this in the sticky?
>>
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/#tutorials

ben mattis is the guy you want.
and yes, this took some effort in finding.
>>
>>552242
>tfw you found out about ben mattis through a scat fetish
>>
>>552240
there's lots of places with resources, in 3d there's lot's of things u can be interested in and that's the problem, if you are really interested in 3d in games I really recommend you http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Tutorials there is where I find that >>552213 and there's lots of topics
>>
>>552242
Not op, but thanks. Bookmarked.
>>
You need to know how to paint.
Figuring out how to manipulate occlusion layers and whatnot is really preference and depends on what kind of a game you are making, at best manipulating the maps can give you a good colored base to paint upon, after that you just have to paint.

desu I think photoshop is best for painted textures, even though it's paint on model isn't the best and stretches to fucks all the time, painting on UV is best simply because photoshop is generally great for digital painting.

So yeah, just learn to fucking paint.
>>
>>552362
Pretty much this. You'll have to learn how to paint. Search hand painted textures to study and I recommend ctrl paint for tutorials on how to paint.

From what I've learn on my own the basic process is unwrap UV, then create OC, diffuse/colour, normal and specular maps for your low poly. So, it's kind of usual thing except you're painting your own texture. How good your texture is, will depend on how good your painting skills will be.
>>
hijacking this thread. As a complete beginner to texturing, I heard that nowadays you can just paint directly onto the model and have the software generate the UV for you without having to do all the unwrapping and such. I get that it would really help to learn the fundamentals and do things the old school way, but I'm just looking for something casual and intuitive that'll let me paint on the model and have the program spit a complete texture at me after I'm done. I heard 3d coat or even Mudbox is good for something like this compared to something like MARI. Is this workflow viable or am I being naive? Are there any good 3d texturing softwares with easy workflows and decent capabilities?
>>
File: polycount.jpg (346KB, 1000x588px) Image search: [Google]
polycount.jpg
346KB, 1000x588px
>>552793
Yeah, zbrush does that. I painted popeye just with zbrush polypaint. No texture, image or any shit like that.
>>
>>552793
also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwEKqqFuTU
>>
>>552803
>>552804
ah I never considered zbrush as an option since I've always assumed it's used more for sculpting. I'm leaning towards 3d coat since it seems to be easy to learn and geared towards hand painted textures which sounds like my thing. I know this board shits on 3DC and opts for something like mari, but I don't really see the point in putting up with the supposedly unnecessarily complicated workflow if I don't plan on doing feature film stuff. But I'm still a beginner so what do I know.
>>
>>552805
gotcha. My advice for you: use the tool that you have more familiarity and keep practicing and learning
>>
I could perfectly draw Irl what I need, but the brushes are fucked in almost any progra, if I need to use a particular one I never can adjust it right and it completely looks like shit even worse with a draw pad, because you cant adjust brushes with the stick
>>
>>552193
Not pertinent to the thread but what is the second image here? An occlusion map? How are they made?
>>
>>552816
looks like a bump map from a sculpt, could be also an AO, but is almost 100% sure a bake from a sculpt to low poly
>>
>>552244

lol. I remember being the only person in my class who could uv map because I watched a poop tutorial. That definately was the dark ages of gameart tutorials.
>>
That dashow thing is great, thanks anon
>>
>>552793
from what I know Mari is fucking awesome for hand paionting, + I also want to handpaint my next character
>>
File: 46546.jpg (31KB, 500x526px) Image search: [Google]
46546.jpg
31KB, 500x526px
>>552793
if you want to texture paint naturally (without procedurals or masks) you can do that pretty much in every software there including 3ds and blender.
also there are new (not so new as of today) advancements like stencil and projection painting that gives you accurate ways to draw patterns into a model. you can also enable smooth stroke to have nice even lines when doing linework for lowpoly models. you also have blending modes like darken multiplay and screen which helps you gets highlights and AO properly to your final texture, its all there and there is no need to get proprietary texturing tool.
obviously photoshop is better because you have all kinds of shit like burn and lighten, but i seen plenty of people go without it.
>>
File: How I paint textures.jpg (1MB, 2968x2565px) Image search: [Google]
How I paint textures.jpg
1MB, 2968x2565px
This is how I create references for hand painting textures. Burn two different normal maps for the high poly sculpt on the low poly UV and use then to create a greyscale image as a reference.

This of course assumes that your low poly model is sourced from a high poly model.
>>
>>554440
this is.. a meme right?

what the fuck is that model?
>>
>>554449

It was a gnome I made but then I hated it so I never bothered to rig it.
>>
>>554449

Fucking hell I hate when people misuse the word Meme without having any understanding of how Richard Dawkin coined the term.
>>
>>554485

You do realize that in accordance with Dawkins theory that the misuse of the word "meme" is in itself, a meme.
>>
>>554486
That don't mean it's good.
>>
>>554485
>the meanings of words cannot change with cultural shifts
You're a real intellectual, Dawkins would be proud
>>
>>554486
dawkins also suggested that we become conscious of the memes we spread
>>
>>554488

Ah, the favourite tactic of the SJW. "I'm allowed to redefine words to mean whatever I want them to mean."
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.