[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

basic 3d shapes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: ngT6Io7.jpg (38KB, 750x613px) Image search: [Google]
ngT6Io7.jpg
38KB, 750x613px
holy shit guys i need some help.

First of all: I'm a programmer and until today I never even touched "blender" or whatever else there is. Visual Studio is my thing!

I need a basic cylinder that has its UV coordniates set "right". And by right I mean exactly like if you'd take a sheet (normal letter shape) and roll it up so the top and the bottom touch.

So I thought "It can't be that hard", downloaded blender and... well this thing has like 9999 quadrillion fucking options, funky ass isometric camera... what THE FUCK.

I sorta kinda got a cylinder (without a top and bottom disk just like I wanted) going but I have no idea how to align UV coordinates the way I want them to be.

Yeah I looked up tutorials, but just imagine how well things would go if you're not a programmer and you want some "simple" program...

I think I'm ready to give up, I've been at this for more than 3 hours. I accept that I'm just fucking retarded when it comes to 3D modelling.

Can someone show mercy and take 30 seconds to do this for me?
>>
cylinder should have 32 sides, no top or bottom disk. radius of 0.5, height of 1 or whatever.
>>
reset blender
double click a , then x delete everything
shift a -> add mesh cylinder , you cna adjust in bottom left if you want
Tab to edit mode,
select top and bottom face and mark it as seam, google how to mark seams
then go to edge select mode and slect one edge of the 32 and also mark it
go u->unwrap and thats it
>>
>>552187
if you're a programmer you could just generate the cylinder mesh in your program, ain't very hard.
>>
File: 1.png (172KB, 1107x1005px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
172KB, 1107x1005px
>>552195
thanks, but now it is like this.
and when i press S to scale it always scales uniformly somehow, and it seems to be impossible to make it fit perfectly into the square.

mind giving me the steps to make it "fill" the square perfectly (as in, no scaling by mouse, but entering values somehow, or snapping the top edge or whatever)

>>552206
Yes, true! And I DID do that in fact :) (for simple forms at least)

A cylinder would also still be super easy to generate in code, but I know that in a few day's I'll need a different solution.

Eventually I have to remove some faces, or have more specific needs in regards to UV mapping. Not yet, but I can foresee that doing it in a procedural way like I'm doing now won't get me very far. I hope that explains it.
>>
I think I got it.
Selecting all the individual vertices of the top / bottom and then translating them to 0/256 did the trick.

Thanks again man >>552195

If anyone knows a better way to do this (automatically filling / stretching the UV map onto the whole square) then please let me know
>>
>>552225
> automatically
Write a simple python script. If I'am correct, Blender very friendly to that kinda stuff.
>>
>>552211
In the UV unwrap window, press a to deselect all, then b to enter box select mode, select top row of vertices and then either press g followed by y and move those vertices with a mouse, locking the movement by the y coordinate, or idk you might be able to enter 0 in the side menu, you know, the in the upper right quadrant of your picture. Been a while. The way I usually did it was, I'd set the 3d cursor (that ugly thing that moves when you left click anywhere) to top right corner (either c or shift+c i believe), then scale to zero by the y axis (s, y, 0, enter)
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.