[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /3dcg/, /k/ here asking for some help. I bought a kel tec

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: rdb ma5c overlay parts.png (258KB, 930x420px) Image search: [Google]
rdb ma5c overlay parts.png
258KB, 930x420px
Hello /3dcg/, /k/ here asking for some help. I bought a kel tec RDB with the intention of taking an MA5C model from Halo and matching the bottom handguard to the handguard for the RDB and then 3D printing it at my school. I was using AC3D but my trial ran out before I could finish and now I'm trying to find a program that can handle the file. I had the handguard 3D scanned and then modeled around it so it has a fuck ton of edges and thus the file size is massive. I tried using CAD derivations but when I try to convert my .ac files to .stl it fucks up the model. Really any help with this is appreciated. I'll get a picture of the current model to post, but this is what I want the finished product to look like.
>>
File: model.png (234KB, 1910x1043px) Image search: [Google]
model.png
234KB, 1910x1043px
>>551130
ayy lamo, reinstalling restarts the trail. So here is the current model. I'm basically trying to cover the top in the correct places with planes so it lines up with the receiver. Another problem I'm having though is basically adding material to the inside so it isn't a thin wall. I'm 100% new to this, so again, all help is appreciated
>>
>>551139
The verts all belong to the model I'm modeling around, the outer shell is what I'm actually working with, so it's not that bad. I really just need help on figuring out how to add a nice solid wall and fill it for the 3d printer.
>>
>>551140
Just make it a solid and boolean the handguard out.
>>
>>551144
Super new to this, how would I go about that and what does it do?
>>
>>551145
Idk about your specific software, but boolean operations are basically cutting or trimming a polysurface or mesh with another surface or mesh.
For example, if you have a sphere intersecting a cube you could boolean union them to turn them into one object, boolean difference one with the other (ie the cube would be cut by the sphere or vice versa) or boolean intersect them, leaving you only with the actually intersecting parts.
At least that's how it works in Rhino. Booleans can be pretty fucked tho and don't always work right, or at all.

For your specific task, I would probably start like you did and model the halo handguard as a solid around the real handguard and then try to cut out the shape of the real handguard using boolean operations. Then I'd split the Halo handguard up into parts that will be easier to print.
>>
>>551202
This is assuming you want to put the new handguard on top of the regular one. If not, couldn't you simply measure the barrel and model around that?
That 3D scan seems overkill if you don't want to actually keep the original handguard
>>
>>551206
I'm using to get the dimensions perfect, I'm going to delete the reference parts once I have the parts that need referencing modeled.
>>
>>551130
did you eat the brownies?
>>
File: model.png (165KB, 1904x1038px) Image search: [Google]
model.png
165KB, 1904x1038px
>>551233
Wasn't there for that one :^)

Current iteration, version 1. Gonna get it printed within the next few days and see how it turns out.
>>
File: Kel-Tec_RFB_IRL_Photo.jpg (159KB, 1890x649px) Image search: [Google]
Kel-Tec_RFB_IRL_Photo.jpg
159KB, 1890x649px
>>
Gib files when done
I don't have an RDB yet but this is sex.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.