[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simple Stupid Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 73

New Question That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Got tired of scrolling in the old one
>>
When Creating depth to a background Image Does it count as 3d if the background elements are 3d even tho it's made up of many layers of 2d?

trying to make 2d background but I want the 3d touch in the background just wondering Thx
>>
>>550172
like this

the buildings are 3d and the birds

but particals and the HUD is in 2d?
still 3d system or a 2d with perspective?
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong:
Bump map simulates a more complex surface but is actually flat.
Displacement map actually deforms the surface (even if it's just a simple plane)

If so, why not exclusively use one or the other?

Clothes such as complex dresses eith multiple layers seem so realistic. Is Marvelous Designer used? Or is it sculpted in something like zbrush? If so, are there sotes which teach how to create the items realistically, i.e. like a real dress, with thickness and hollow inside?

In the same vein, how do people "simulate" hair? Do they sculpt and shape it? Or is there some way pf simulating?
>>
trying to inpoart .obj into UE4 but it crashes immediately after loading. any suggestions?
>>
Trying to get into Blender by watching tutorials but there's so much info I'm getting overwhelmed. Two questions:

1) If I rig and animate a model, can I change the geometry of the mesh afterwards or will it mess up the animations? In other words, should the rigging and animation be made when you are 100% you are done with the modelling?

2) One you have done an animation for a model (for example, a walk cycle), can you easily "port" it to a different model with different proportions, as long as the bones are the same?
>>
>>550182
You can use Displacement, Bump and Normal if you want to.
Bump/Normal is useful for very small details on the surface, displacement does fail when the resolution of the mesh is not dense enough and most times you don't want to have super-high dense mesh just for very small surface details.

>>550195
1) if you change the mesh afterwards you have to rebind the mesh to the rig. Your animations will be preserved since they are on the rig.

2) yes you can port animations to a different rig, with some methods/tricks even to ones having a different bone hierarchy
>>
>>550198
Cool. Thanks. I'm guessing using Displacement is more taxing.
>>
>>550198
Thanks.
>>
>>550205
Yeah, but Blender (of all programs) has a new adaptive per pixel displacement. Meaning the further away an object is from the camera the lesser it gets subdivided. That is super-useful for flying over landscapes and planets and stuff. Since no matter how close you get, the subdivision stays the same.
Use Displacement for big details which needs to change the contours of an object, Normal maps for medium details and you could use bump for micro details.
You could always bake small surface details into the normal map, but it stays more flexible if you have it in a different channel in case you want to change it.
>>
When creating a reference pic to work off in Blender, what is a must? Front view, side view, anything else? What should I watch out for?
>>
>>550513
>reference pic
depends on how complex the project is. Front and side are the most common for beginners. Only highly technical objects or objects that have strict specifications need more than that such as a car or airplane.
>>
>>550183
Does this happen with any .obj?
>>
>>550171
Creating A Film I want to use a 3d element in my movie, What is a good visual tool to just display cads and just show them ingeneral?
I am willing to put time into the matter I don't care about how advance or what level is nessasary, please state many :D cheers
>>
>>550528
Nothing too big either I can Have AUTODESK bc of its size feels bad man still want to know all recommendation no matter the size
>>
>>550528
Rephrase the question so I can understand you better. Are you asking for how to have a cad file show up in a movie?
>>
If I split my character up into diffrent objects, how do I get the weight painting to match up at the seams?
Using Maya.
>>
File: 1441948779047.jpg (40KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
1441948779047.jpg
40KB, 640x512px
Where would one go for information about pathfinding through Unity terrains with lots of rigid obstacles?
>>
File: Panels.jpg (65KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Panels.jpg
65KB, 300x450px
How do I go about making metal panels like this in Blender? Specifically, what I'm trying to do is emulate sheet metal like on an airplane, where it's squares of metal with rivets on the edges rather than just overlapping plates. I can't figure out how to make the grooves without destroying geometry. I remember there was some tool that let me displace model geometry with a texture but I absolutely forgot what it is.
>>
Can someone explain about Maya UV sets, and/or maybe link me to somewhere that does? As in, their usage for mapping multiple meshes per scene like in Allegorithmic's Substance Painter Tutorial on the futuristic crate.

So far all of the tutorials I've found talks about using UV sets to apply different textures to the same mesh (tillable and non-tillable).
>>
>>550182
Marvelous Designer is used, but im not sure how common it is to be honest. Only game i know for sure that used it is MGS5. I use it myself often for creating Second Life clothing (inb4flames), and then i often touch it up inside Zbrush. Moving the folds a bit, maybe adding a few more folds that MD didnt. You can sculpt them, and it can be faster, but it takes many years of study and practice to have a good understanding of folds from various types of materials.

Regarding the question about thickness...you do need to start with a base, which is always 'hollow' by default. Like, a cylinder with its caps removed, for example, as a start within Zbrush, or some cut-up UV map looking things in MD. They all just wrap around your model, and do not have an interior set of faces until you add them.

I usually add them by just duplicating the entire mesh, flipping its normals, pushing it inward a little bit, then using 'bridge' inside maya to connect the two.
>>
Copy skin weights tool. Just make sure the two models are stacked EXACTLY on top of one another before using it. The seams should line up perfectly, but its good to keep in mind that since there is a split in the mesh there, the lighting with certain rendering engines (mostly games) will make it obvious that theres a split in the mesh there.
>>
>>550669
MD feels very difficult to work with whenever there are tight spots (example would be between the legs or even fingers) where threading through a thin narrow cloth with the aim of clinging to the model makes everything spazz out. Is there any way to fix this? And how would you make multiple layers for clothes?
>>
>>550526
Yeah, I was originally trying a environment but that didn't work so I made a simple box with an extrude and saved it as an obj, that also crashed it. :/
>>
Is there any place I can go to get a basic selection of hairstyles that I can modify the textures for to apply to my models.
It seems pointless creating a fresh model for a very basic hairstyle for my character when chances are people have made that same hairstyle countless times before.
>>
How the heck do you stay focused for extended periods of time? I'm a NEET and I wana learn 3D but it's hard focusing for 10 hours straight on the same thing!!!
>>
>>550778
dmt nigga
>>
>>550780
i want to focus, anon. not experience 11 dimensional existence.
>>
>>550778
Find some good, calm-ish background music; maybe the ambient tracks from your favorite game or something. If it's something you enjoy, it helps you concentrate and keep on task.
>>
>>550778
focused on what?
tutorials make me sleepy but when im working i usually take a 10 min break or something and then come back
>>
>>550663
you can use procedural textures if you don't mind about just using it in blender alone
>>
>>550719
use .fbx my dude
>>
>>550786
No, see, that's the thing - I want to print this. I need the actual geometry.
>>
>>550785
solving the problems i'm having i guess. noticed productivity goes way down when i'm doing something new and have no idea what i'm doing. i eventually work though them, but it takes me way to long when i could just be solving.
>>
say your working on an environment for real time, but were dumb and did alot of destructive modeling. any good videos you could recommend for apologizing a low poly? i have zbrush and 3ds max.
>>
>>550798
well if i were being destructive towards my low poly, you better believe i would fucking apologize to it
>>
File: 17262356143.jpg (60KB, 540x416px) Image search: [Google]
17262356143.jpg
60KB, 540x416px
>>550802
ill have to figure it out.
>>
Is texturing more of a "run before you walk" for 3d modelling? How is texturing done so realistically for human models that they look real? I'm interested in learning but does having non-existent artistic talent mean I should just just avoid texturing in general?
>>
>>550798
you pretty much make everything highpoly first then think about lowpoly later.

lowpoly to lowpoly workflow is subpar

>>550824
basically there a program that have procuderal textures so u can change the settings/seed until you get a desirable outcome.
its pretty much just drag and drop these days. you hardly use the brushes aside from final touches
>>
>>550663
in the object data u are supposed to see UV sets, you can add more.
i don't work with maya but that's usually how its done
>>
>>550793
you lose focus quickly so just do 10 mins at a time and come back
>>
>>550849
What's this program? And does it do human skin as well?
>>
Why isn't there a free model of a penis on the entirety of the internet?

Everyone wants $50 for their mediocre cock blocks.

I don't get it.

All I want to do is 3D print some dicks man.
>>
>>550778
coffee?
>>
Where do people get their plugins from? A lot of the tutorials I'm trying to start use proprietary ones like x-particles and shit.
>>
>>550957
Can't afford it senpai.
>>
why does c4d r18 keep crashing at startup when i install arnold. driving me crazy.
>>
I'm making a helmet with the aim of moving parts (like the visor moves, mouth piece etc). As such, it would be smarter to make different pieces for each part, I assume? It is OK for the parts to pass through each other right? Or is there a better alternative? If I were to make it into different seperate objs in blender (for example) is there a way to tie them together nicely (I'm assuming the best option is just to parent the objs)?
>>
>>551002
go crazy with the parts and the polygons.

you will need to bake ur object

1.have both highpoly and lowpoly in same world location (different layer is ok)
2.make sure the lowpoly is unwrapped and have a material
3. keep the highpoly separate in parts and export them both separately
4.bake in whatever software you want, i don't recommend using blender for baking. there are free alternatives like xnormal
>>
File: FlatMe.png (23KB, 1104x496px) Image search: [Google]
FlatMe.png
23KB, 1104x496px
How do I "flatten" this curve? I don't know how, but it twisted during extrusion and I can't rotate it manually. The one closer to the camera is perfect, it remains flat and the top faces outside the entire time, but the one father banks for some reason. What do?
>>
>>551045
use G (move) to manipulate it at camera angel, it will sort itself
>>
File: StillCurve.png (22KB, 836x800px) Image search: [Google]
StillCurve.png
22KB, 836x800px
>>551049
What do you mean by "at camera angle"? Any numpad orientation I use results in the same thing.

All's I want to do is have a spiral of a shape without it rotating weirdly and I don't know what I'm doing wrong to make it like this.
>>
File: TwistFix.png (144KB, 1541x794px) Image search: [Google]
TwistFix.png
144KB, 1541x794px
>>551059
>>551049
Never mind, figured out a different solution.
>>
Is there a conventional way to set up rotation order on rig controls, such as the pelvis is always y-x-z, or hands are always x-y-z, or whatever (these are probably not correct), to prevent gimbal lock?

Or is it adjusted every single time, according to the animation?
Because if it is, that's terrible and I hate it.
>>
File: sup1.png (271KB, 1000x2550px) Image search: [Google]
sup1.png
271KB, 1000x2550px
sup anons, using maya 2016

issue: I want the toilet to be smooth and crease-less (crease seen in pic 3) but I need that edgeloop causing the crease/bump (highlighted in pic 2) to support the hole, so it doesn't look like pic 4 when smoothed.

do I use creases? because I've tried every crease combination I can and it looks ugly each time.. is there something obvious I've just not learned?

I'm the one who is making the ue4 archviz scene posted in the WIP thread, so I'm hardly a straight noob, but this sort of problem has been giving me hassle since I started 3d.
>>
>>550798
retopo?
here, I searched for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycBPwwQVBHI&t=237s
>>
>>551386
you should watch tutorials on modelling d00d
>>
>>551386
this dudes the man, he's using 3ds max but what he's teaching should translate over to maya no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbOCSkqmo8&t=161s
>>
>>551390
watched around 200 hours worth, somehow never come across this

>>551391
nice one, this looks great, appreciate it.
>>
How do I export 2D images into Unity-ready height maps without Adobe Photoshop?

>gimp
Which backwoods web 1.0 site do I have to slog through to find the correct plugin then? Gimp does jack shit out of the box.
>>
>>551394
"Google it" is the answer of people who don't have answers, but want to look important anyway.

Google should egg these people's cars for polluting search results.
>>
>>550658
youtube
>>
where can I get brushes for painting normals in substance painter?

I want stuff like zbrush dam standard but all the default brushes are useless for anything except normal strokes
>>
>>551435
why not make them?
do a pattern in highpoly and bake it to a flat plane in 512x512
or you can do an alpha in photoshop, i use vector shapes and polygonal lasso tool
>>
>>550787
Thank you, this worked!
>>
What's the difference between ram and vram, technically? Why can't we make GPU with 64GB vram?
>>
If I want to learn the 3d boogaloo using Blender, am I best off getting a Nvidia card, or is AMD fine?
>>
>>551555
No AMD is not fine, maybe for (lowbudget) gaming, but in the 3D world CUDA is (still) king, OpenGL just a lowly peasant.
The general rule is to go Nvidia or go home.
But be more specific, what do you want to do?
Some disciplines might work without touching CUDA.
>>
>>551555
i have amd card and im doing just fine
you can still use openCL, just make sure its listend in the cycles documentation
>>
>>551557
I just want to learn how to model stuff and animate it. Maybe create 3d environments to look at in VR at some point.

>>551558
Alright.
>>
>>551555
When buying new, there is literally no reason to buy AMD as long as the nividia 10xX series exists. For learning, it probably doesn't matter.
By the time you're at the point where it might make a difference, you'll know what to get.
>>
>>551003
Neato. Thanks. But what about intersections? Is that ok?
>>
>>551572
what about intersections?
sorry im not very versed on animation, you could ask again in blenderartists.net
>>
>>551572
>But what about intersections?
whoops sorry thought u were someone else.

anyways. when you export the highpoly model with separate parts the program automatically detect those parts and bake them separately to the lowpoly model.
just like when people used to explode models for baking, you don't have to do that
>>
File: topo.png (369KB, 691x732px) Image search: [Google]
topo.png
369KB, 691x732px
Nee to hard surface modelling, how can I make this work while keeping the surface smooth?
>>
File: 2017-02-15 00_42_19-Blender.png (14KB, 249x179px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-15 00_42_19-Blender.png
14KB, 249x179px
>>551594
errytime
>>
>>551596
that's not gonna help with a topology issue, genius
>>
>>551596
Just add support edges around each hole.
>>
File: 2017-02-15_000106.jpg (120KB, 710x648px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-15_000106.jpg
120KB, 710x648px
i'm trying to model a hole saw in fusion 360. what's the best way to model the teeth?
>>
>>551605
that will help the holes, but not the large curving surface they're punched in. These irregularities happen because you've got a pole on a non-flat surface, as well as edges on a curve that aren't parallel to the flow of the curve.
>>
>>551604
there is nothing wrong with his topology
i see gun bits that have this holes all the time
>>
File: bL6cD.png (186KB, 1500x492px) Image search: [Google]
bL6cD.png
186KB, 1500x492px
>>551613
If there was nothing wrong with it then anon wouldn't need autosmooth on the highpoly for such a simple shape. If the topology was good then it would look smooth when it's smoothed and it wouldn't need to ignore sharp angles when interpolating normals.

That's fine on the lowpoly though.

>>551594
You could cut the holes down to 8 vertices to make this easier since you're subdividing and do pic related, or put a relaxed square of 16 vertices around the holes to better transition into some edge loops at the area.
>>
File: Clean.png (23KB, 1080x540px) Image search: [Google]
Clean.png
23KB, 1080x540px
>>551594
Eh?
>>
File: topo2.png (418KB, 915x412px) Image search: [Google]
topo2.png
418KB, 915x412px
>>551616
Thanks dude, getting there.

>>551623
Thanks but the hole is meant to be partially on the curve.
>>
File: 2017-02-15 03_21_48-Blender.png (81KB, 790x566px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-15 03_21_48-Blender.png
81KB, 790x566px
>>551623
>>
File: male_front.jpg (41KB, 256x462px) Image search: [Google]
male_front.jpg
41KB, 256x462px
What is the "best" pose to rig a model? It used to be the T-pose but now its more of an A. Is there any other poses to consider?
>>
>>551649
X
>>
Hey autodick anons. I need some help.
I'm using maya 2016, and I have a character that I received, which has two normal eyes that need rigging.

I want to link them to a control, and make them rotate to always face the direction of that control.
I'd normally just slap on an aim constraint and everything would be alright.

This should be extremely simple, but the problem I've run into is that the eyes aren't actually modeled to be rotated.
The eyes work by translating the textures left+right, or up+down, but I have absolutely no idea how to rig something like this.

How do I go about rigging texture translations to work as if I have an aim constraint on them?
I want to be able to maintain control, making the eyes point where I place the control, but I don't really know how, and don't really know what to google, either.

I could always just make two sliders to control the individual horizontal and vertical positions, but that's kinda shitty.
>>
I guess this is rushing things, but I'm interested in creating games but am also kinda interested in stuff like ArchViz. Is this a problem? Do they have different approaches to things? It seems that 3d focused on games involve aiming for low poly and done via Unity or Unreal whereas ArchViz seems to aim for details and use vray or something as the engine.

Also, are skin textures painted with something like zbrush or photoshop? Or is there a procedural method to do this? Is it possible to make a skin texture to blend with a pre-existing texture (e.g. face texture)?
>>
File: latest.png (27KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
27KB, 240x160px
>>550171
Have you guys ever considered the possibility of making a videogame?

I always wanted to make the spiritual successor of Golden Sun.
>Djinn + Psynergy system
>Turn-based Combat style
>Same camera, but using real 3D cel-shading instead of 2.5D sprites
>Better storyline
>Better characters
>Not exaggerately big. Smaller, but with more quality.
>Using a 2017 engine, like Unreal Engine 4

The problem here is that I only have notions of programming, and I don't really have experience with game engines. I'm more into game design, desu.
>>
>>551665
you can transfer details to a lowpoly models in a process called baking.

honestly iv seen more impressive stuff from UE4 than vray
>>
>>551659
no maya user, but i had the same problem in C4d.
Make 3 sliders, one for each eye and one who controls both sliders.
>>
>>551659

There was a tutorial about this on Lynda.
https://www.lynda.com/Maya-tutorials/Character-Rigging-in-Maya/92564-2.html

I can't remember exactly how it is done. I think it involved using Place3dTexture nodes. (Or maybe Spherical UV Projection nodes)
>>
>>551671
Is there a difference in choosing unreal or vray? Can I just stick with unreal for most things? Is there a reason why vray is used, or rather, what does vray do better than unreal?
>>
>>551696
Vray is a cpu render engine, Unreal is a realtime game engine. The workflow in Vray might be a bit faster, because you don't have to worry about optimization and can have some ridiculous high poly stuff done with subdivided modeling, while Unreal will require a bit of optimization (not as much as in games, but you'll still want to be a bit smarter with your textures and polycount). The downside to Vray, obviously, is that you have to render your images, which is time consuming.

Vray will always have the potential of looking better than Unreal, because we're far from achieving absolute photorealism in realtime with current tech, although Unreal is pretty damn good at making pleasant-looking scenes. From my experience having used a little bit of both, I'd also say vray is easier to get into because there's lots of archviz documentation focused around it and its settings are perfect for archviz right out of the box. Unreal has a steeper learning curve, as well as little to no archviz-specific documentation currently.

Honestly, the reason why vray is the industry standard probably has simply to do with the existence of realtime engines powerful enough for photorealistic archviz being a brand new thing. If you think about it, though, each solution has distinct advantages and specific uses:

Unreal: Providing a realtime walk-through of a scene for a client.

Vray: Rendering perfect pictures where interactivity isn't a concern (i.e. catalogs), setting up good-looking demos on a tighter time constraint.
>>
>>551696
honestly if you are thinking of what to learn in terms of long-term benefit i wouldn't know what to tell you.

figuring out unreal is tough because you also have to make lots of realtime assets and knowing how to texture in substance, which is not hard at all, but if you want your texture to compliment your model it takes alot of work.

there is alot going on in the archviz industry, you can find work there if you have good interior designs and can keep up with sceudel. however there isn't much going for the game industry. unless you are living in western europe,united states or canada i would say realtime is a waste of time (little pun there). the real estate industry is everywhere. the game industry is not, you can probably find some guy that want to venture and take a risk for paying you money but if you want an actual steady career in gaming/movies you would want to be in the western world to begin with.
>>
>>551697
> vray is the industry standard
actually, its not. If anything, it died in 2012;
>>
>>551707
I'm not necessarily here to disagree with you, but perhaps you can at least back up that claim by naming a few programs that replaced it, then.
>>
>>551707
people keep using vray because it makes pretty things. if it works there is no need to replace it.

i gotta say tho, corona look slick as fuck. and im looking forward to buy/pirate it or whatever ill decide depending how much its supported in my 3d program
>>
>>551714
Arnold, Manuka
>>
File: industry_standard.jpg (49KB, 362x164px) Image search: [Google]
industry_standard.jpg
49KB, 362x164px
>>551717
>Manuka
l o l
>>
>>551722
>doesnt freelance for weta / the foundry, building big cities for the BIG SCREEN
stick with your commercialized tools.
>>
Is there any particular YouTube tutorial for Blender that explains rigging and animation really well from a beginner/low-intermediate viewpoint? Thanks!
>>
>>551734
andrew price
>>
>>551707
>Vray
>dead
yeah sure
>>551715
Corona is sick as fuck. Get it now since its still in Alpha/Beta and free. At least for C4d and there is even a version for Blender. Max version costs money but is cracked. Price is fair. Renders are awesomely fast for an CPU render, their lighcache system is solid even for animation and the denoiser is a dream.
>>551717
Arnold, Vray, Redshift, Manuka and Clarisse are all used in the industry. Did i forget a one?

>>551734
Try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f-WVs3ghI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEmonfLo94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuUWxUitJos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YdA-J27YPU
>>
File: render.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
render.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>551735
That's Blender Guru, right? Just got through his beginner's tutorial, here's my cup and donut.

>>551736
Thanks. Will check out this guy and BornCG and Blender Guru.
>>
>>551738
horrible render
>>
>>551736
can't get the standalone build anywhere, just the plugin.

i was looking at luxrender the other day. the gallery looks shady, people only use it for daz3d bimbo dolls and basic interior.
yafaray seems more suited for interiors
>>
File: 3D-Printed-Home-Decor-Stag.jpg (105KB, 468x348px) Image search: [Google]
3D-Printed-Home-Decor-Stag.jpg
105KB, 468x348px
What is the easiest way to model something like this?

i've tried doing it with cube and cylinder tool but i am not achieving what i'm looking for

is there any modeling practice where it's possible to just draw points and have them connect as a solid line?

i know blender has a wireframe feature but i am looking to make a faux wireframe
>>
>>551752
still a noob so there might be a faster way, but my guess would be to model it normally, then draw renderable splines over it with vertex snap on
>>
>>551752
Wireframe modifier in Blender, probably similar things exist in other programs.
>>
>>551754
actually i suppose you couldn't weld all the vertices together neatly, could you?
never mind
>>
>>551754
>>551755

i am not looking for actual wireframe, unless there's a way in blender to render triangles instead of quads
>>
>>551757
i know, but in max at least you can make splines have some thickness so they render out like >>551752
>>
>>550171
How possible is it to make a quality game with quality graphics using unity?
>>
>>551757
wireframe modifier does exactly pic related
>>
>>551768
physically based rendering
don't be a talentless retard

Seriously, Unity is more limited than engines like Unreal, but even so, the reason why so many Unity games still look like garbage at this point is because people who use it are garbage. It's the Blender effect.
>>
>>551697
So from what I understand, vray means more Sub Ds but static images. Unreal allows interactivity? I guess Unreal has the benefit of having simulation as well?

>>551705
But I'm doing this ArchViz and/or gaming as more of a hobby. I doubt I have the talent for actual professional work.
>>
How do I install this for blender?

Do I install them like an addon?
http://zbyg.deviantart.com/art/HDRi-Pack-2-103458406
>>
>>551791
You load the images as a texture for the world. In the texture tab click the tab for the world instead of the material.
>>
>>551789
You have to understand the difference between a render engine (v-ray) and a complete game engine (unreal). V-ray is basically a plug-in for other software packages that allows you to create more fancy renders. If the software package can do simulations, v-ray will render simulations.
V-ray and other render engines are basically a "camera" making a pretty picture of what your software is doing.

Unreal Engine is a game engine. Naturally, that means it will render stuff, but it's capable of much more, ie. creating entire video games. You can't really compare the two.

The great advantage of UE4 and other realtime rendering applications, is that you can view your project in realtime, even interact with it. That is obviously a big plus for Archviz, because instead of looking at a picture or a video (passive renderers like v-ray), you can walk around your project and make changes as you go. Incredibly useful for design.
The problem with real time rendering is that it is much more hardware hungry, since realtime means literally rendering 30+ pictures per second. Thus, your scenes will have to be much more optimized and you will have to pay more attention to polycount, lighting, materials, effects etc. This will almost always mean that in the end, your project will not look as realistic as if it was done with a passive renderer like v-ray. Sometimes it's coming pretty damn close tho, and improvements in hardware and software will continue to reduce that gap.

The disadvantage of passive renderers is that you have to set everything up, hit render, wait a bunch (depending on your scene and hardware, renders can take from a few seconds to multiple hours) and then see how it looks. If you have a strong GPU, passive renders can also show you a realtime preview to get an idea of what the rendered scene will look like, but the finished render will always look way better.
The advantage is that you can render much larger and more detailed scenes.
>>
>>551795
In conclusion, what tool you use totally depends on what you want to achieve.

If you're doing Archviz and the client wants to walk around the project, possibly even in VR, you're obviously going to use a realtime solution like UE4. If you're doing Archviz for a real estate company that wants to print shiny ads or realistic pics for their website, you'd achieve better results with a passive renderer.
All that is provided you know what you're doing.

If you're doing games, you're going to want to use a game engine (duh). If you're doing art, a passive renderer will probably suit you better.

If you ever want to work in any of these fields, you should probably know a bit of both. Whats more important tho is to know about modeling, lighting, mapping and materials. The best render engine won't do you no good if you have ugly models with fucked up UVs, millions of polys and no idea how to make a proper material.

Seriously, I saw a guy in an UE4 archviz forum complaining that UE4 took 15 hours to load his relatively simple scene. It was just a few rooms basically. Well, turns out the scene had like 50 million polys and verts. God knows what the hell that guy did...
>>
>>551796
Thank you very much for the indepth answer!
>>
>>551797
Also, both UE4 and passive renderers don't work to create things, only to display them. You will still need a modeling software to actually create what you want to render in the first place.

UE4 has a large marketplace to buy assets so if you want to make a game you could just buy those, but it will probably look very generic if you don't do your own models.
For Archviz it's obvious that you will have to model the buildings. You can use bought assets for furniture tho. But not that god damned chair everyone uses..
>>
>>551798
I'm getting comfortable with zBrush and blender at the moment. Am able to do some rudimentary models, but I hope to improve soon! Thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 27-render_1040.jpg (78KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
27-render_1040.jpg
78KB, 1040x585px
Is there a better/more up to date face rigging tutorial for maya than this one?
http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/27-Rigging-the-Human-Face-in-Maya
>>
i use a very stupid and unorthodox lighting method in Cinema 4d to achieve a specific look. Unfortunately this means I have to light objects on a per-object basis. Or, I don't have to, but it looks much better if I do.

I could light and render each model separately, then composite them in post, but holy fuck would that take forever. I'd also have to do a shadow pass and composite that for any live shadows in every scene. fuck all that.

Is there a way of "baking" lighting into an object in cinema 4d? Not normals. I need to bake the diffuse.
The goal is to be able to set up lights for each individual object, bake the lighting down into something(textures, a tag? idk), and then load them into a scene with 100% ambient illumination.
Still not sure how I'd do shadows, but I could probably figure it out. Maybe I will actually be forced to do a shadow pass.
>>
as I was googling to find inspiration for body topology I saw a picture of the genesis 2 geometry and I couldn't help but notice that compared to genesis 3, it's a lot more topologically pleasant, with much better muscle definition etc

I googled to find out why this is and I found this response by some guy at daz

>A lot of the decisions I made with this mesh are about balancing and getting away from old ideas.

>Anatomy being baked into the poly flow was good for when we had more limits. Moving forward, it was better to have a lower count, an even spread better for sculpting, and a flow more suited to animation.

>Bear in mind that almost every expression you see, has been done using the facial rigging alone. People not liking expressions is something that has been floating around for a long time; people are very subjective about such things. Now, if you don't quite like an expression - you can simply tweak it however you want.

>She bends so well, because she has around 130 custom sculpted corrections shaping her. Somewhere along the line 'JCM' became a bad word. It's very common to use sculpted corrections in higher-end programs. When you bend an arm in a 3D program, using only weights, you are essentially folding it half. That's not how your arm works. Muscles shift, bones change alignment - ultimately the shape changes. You have to express that shape changing to get realism and accuracy, and the most control for doing so is sculpting.

what is he even saying here? why would more anatomically correct topology be dated? how is simplifying the geometry more suitable for animation?
>>
File: split.jpg (156KB, 1230x790px) Image search: [Google]
split.jpg
156KB, 1230x790px
problem, Want to make a line across the "y" or the "z" Plane to split the model in half to 3d print easier, what tool can i use in Maya?
>>
>>551809
>img is mfw someone mentions digital tutors
>>
>>551839
im sure there is someone that can explain it than me but ill try

lowpoly mesh deforms smoothly, there are no sudden normals flipping or creases to worry about during animation. when the topology is very simple so is the less chance of things going south.

now, this is not saying that ALL game models should be lowpoly by default. sometimes its better to have mid-poly iteration from highpoly for beauty shots or when making promotional content you really want to get rid of these jagged edges that are typical for lowpoly models
>>
>>551893
shift+right click and hold for the marking menu, select multi cut. You can then just drag from empty space to another point in empty space across the model and it will intersect the geometry and slice it. If you need to cut it on a specific angle, open the tool settings and set the snap to that angle.
>>
Can someone break down exactly what makes Maya the "industry standard" over Blender? I know how most sociological inertia is based upon training (if you train a bunch of Maya users, then moving people over to Blender is more difficult), but I cannot see anything from my perspective that demonstrates that Maya has anything better to offer.
>>
>>551752
Stick a model into an atom array in C4D.
>>
>>551954
>It's taught everywhere
>It's used everywhere
>autodesk bought out all the competition
>it's of tolerable quality
>it isn't free

Regardless of if blender is better than maya or not, freeware is usually always looked down upon as inferior.
Even if the industry does shift to blender, I'd expect it to be over a very long period of time due to the "free software is shit" stigma.
>>
>>551954
basically all the schools are teaching maya/3ds/vray so by default that's what employers ask for.

local school here still teaching lightwave for modeling and maya for animating. which shows how old-fashioned the industry really is
>>
>>551954
short version: the majority of people working in the 3D industry have decided its the best tool for several jobs, and they use it, and it works, and they all make money with it. So far, they didn't found a better tool for these jobs.
>>
>>551970
dude, employers don't ask for what schools are teaching its the other way around.
And your local school is old-fashioned for still teaching Lightwave.
That software is dead.
>>
>>551978
the whole industry is old fashioned.
if people really cared they would use modo/substance/houdini/nuke for everything. but sometimes its best not to interfere with the order of things
>>
>>551979
modo is shit for rigging, substance is shit, not FLOSS, houdini is just a spaghetti mess
>>
>>551979
Modo is a good modeller but sucks at animation.
The rest of the tools are in most pipelines.
>>551980
>substance is shit
>Houdini is just...
You just lost all credibility.
>>
File: Sin título-2.png (2MB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sin título-2.png
2MB, 1000x500px
How do i remove those fucking spots all around the wall paint, some parts at the furniture and the floor carpet?
>>
>>552010

forgot, i'm using 3ds max + vray
>>
>>552010
that's global illumination noise
a general tip, though: break your render into separate render passes, then you can look at each individually to see where the noise is coming from (in this case it's GI, I'm telling you, but with fireflies you can't always tell so it's good to know)
>>
>>552018

Thanks m80, i'll make differente scenes
>>
>>552020
be careful, what you want is different render passes, finding a guide on how to do this should be pretty easy but I'm almost sure it's a tab in your vray/render settings
>>
File: what.jpg (304KB, 1918x994px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
304KB, 1918x994px
Maya 2016, accidently held space and left clicked and dragged. tried zooming in and out, cant find the model in any View other than perspective. And viewcube never works.
Is there a "home" on object key? or what have i done?
p.s. closed the program and reopened it already
>>
>>552131
select your thing, make sure you're hovering over whichever view is fucked, and press F
>>
>>552134
F didnt work, (space clicked and hovered over "View"... Alt+Home is Default View -worked
>>
What's the workflow for texturing a model? Do people really draw on the model? I just can't fathom how you would do it without knowing how the edges all fit together.
>>
>>552265
>use fill color on wanted faces to make base colors
>after base colors do the linework
>highlights and shadows
>detailing

and its in 3d so some things are automated, you can use layer blend modes to speed up the process
>>
File: mgs1.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mgs1.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
Can anyone tell me why the arms seem disconnected from the body in most ps1 games?
>>
>>552325
They're different models that intersect.

Don't know why for sure, but given it's PS1 it's bound to be related to processing power. Maybe it was easier to rotate some cylinders than it was to do an armature deform that affected more than a few vertices at the elbow.
>>
is there a non proprietary version of clonetoquad or something similar?

https://vimeo.com/166291982
>>
Looking for a new monitor, general use ..web, lots of games, etc, but want it to also be conducive to 3d and some other work.

Would a ultrawide be any more useful, or a 4k?
I could see those extra few inches of space being useful. Yet I'm told constantly 4k is, "so much more clarity" than anything else, and ultrawide is "just a fad."
Anyone got any experience, or input with the 2?

I use a lot of blender, solidworks, fusion, photoshop, occasionally teach sketchup classes or do work for people that want sketchup.

Been using a 24" 1080p monitor. Just got a steady job, and some extra side-jobs, so I'm long due for a good upgrade.
>>
>>552325
>>552327
Pretty much. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=879176&page=8

Also:
>TF2 models have little under 500 tris while MGS1's Solid Snake had 690 tris
I'm having a hard time believing it, then again the world is just planes and who knows how many tris the NPCs have
>>
>>552380
Turns out the lowest LOD models have between 500 and 700, except Pyro at 294. Highest LOD models are about 10x that.
>>
>>552325
because armatures didn't exist back then so they had to animate different limbs seperately
>>
File: 23908739873'.jpg (666KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
23908739873'.jpg
666KB, 1920x1080px
>Best program for mechanical objects
I've got the urge to design an engine but I want to be able to turn a shaft, have it turn sets of gears and move pistons. Without having to animate it by hand.
>>
>>552406
sw, inventor
but you can't design an engine, engines are far more than a few pistons and whatnot
>>
Program for making stuff like fur and hair or plants, preferably with conversion to STL files
>>
File: 983616361741.png (139KB, 2112x1195px) Image search: [Google]
983616361741.png
139KB, 2112x1195px
any idea why exporting this obj is taking an exceptionally long time? exporting obj's has never taken this long before. just going to let it do it's thing but i'm curious what may be causing this to happen.

i've exported this same file before, and it only took around a min?

only difference right now is i created the uv map on the low poly.
>>
>>552422
I don't want to design it with the intent to produce it.
I just want to model something that looks like an engine and moves like one. Thank you though.
>>
>>552428
idk man. try exporting it as a different file type?
>>
>>550171
I have my model skinned with Biped and Skin modifier in 3ds max. Is it possible to attach 2nd model to the Biped and make it collide with the 1st model when I move bones? 2nd model would be static and 1st model would be the one deforming when collision happens.
>>
>>552423

Houdini 16
>>
Is it worth getting UE4 for rendering character animation loops? I'm not looking for amazingly realistic accuracy. was trying to make do with VP2.0 in maya but it lacks some features and has shitty shadows. I don't want to use Arnold. what are the alternatives that support animation?
>>
>>552520
ya fuck objs fbx ftw.
>>
File: NoobCut.jpg (80KB, 1040x816px) Image search: [Google]
NoobCut.jpg
80KB, 1040x816px
>>550171

Hi anons, got an easy I guess but why my model is being cut like that ? Is there a way to connect the faces so it doesn't look "empty" ?
>>
>>552685
why not make a new cube isntead?
select 2 edges and click f
>>
>>552687

Sorry the cube was a bad example. I'm facing the issue with more complex structures with more edges.
>>
>>552690
then why not post a relevant example?
>>
Why is UV mapping even a thing?
Can't a texture simply read the normal of a face and be applied accordingly?
Why unwrap something when we know the normals? I don't get it
>>
how many "layers deep" do constraints go in maya rigging?

From my understanding, constraints only go 2 constraints deep.

So if I constrain a control to a bone, constrain that bone to another bone, and then constrain the original control to a null object, I can't move the null and have it affect everything.
I'd have to group the first bone, and then constrain that new group to the null, to have the null affect everything.

Or am I mistaken?

Fuck. I hate rigging.
This may very well be the most autistic OCD part of 3D, and 3D is already pretty autistic.
>>
File: 11155.png (62KB, 944x514px) Image search: [Google]
11155.png
62KB, 944x514px
>>552711
>Can't a texture simply read the normal of a face and be applied accordingly?

Can't a texture simply read the normal of a face and be applied accordingly?
actually it can. you can make a texture wrap around the object from a camera angel or have it controlled through coordinates. it only works with render engines that have this feature however.
you can't use it for games, but you can use it for rendering and movies
>>
>>552722
Why isn't this done more or improved more?

Shouldn't the process of mapping at least be very easy to automate? Every 3d object consists of faces with normals, why can't it project a texture onto itself?
>>
>>552728
because old habits stick like shit, and the industry follows.

it works well if you know how to use the mapping node
>>
>>552718
What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>>552728
Actually it is easy if you know what you are doing and use the right tools.
>>
>>552711
ptex is a thing.
>>
So I've been working on manual retopology, it's been very slow and I'm pretty unsure of my quality, anyone have any good tutorials?

Like a problem right now is faces have met up to form an edge loop with an odd number of vertexes, I cant make it all quads to fill it, and I dont see a decent place to add another edge loop to even it out, most of them would loop back on the other side and make it 2 more vertexes instead of 1 anyway.
>>
>>551666
vg's /agdg/ is what you're looking for.
It's either a blessing or a curse - it's constant, almost non-stop shitposting but sometimes you'll get a useful answer to your questions.

UE4 is easy to use: Learn to use the Blueprint visual script and it's a piece of cake. There's tons of official tutorials and even more unofficial ones. Take it one step at a time and you'll do fine.
>>
>>552743
post picture?

when retopologizing always start with the topology-sensitive areas

figure out the loops, poles etc and then just fill the geometry out
>>
File: topo.png (358KB, 1316x1150px) Image search: [Google]
topo.png
358KB, 1316x1150px
>>552746
been workin on this wing. the top selected part is an edge loop with 7 vertexes.
>>
>>552749
just put a triangle there
>>
>>552750
probably. just dunno if I'm missing some topology technique to avoid this stuff.
>>
>>552685
First, with the quasi-X-ray view (all edges visible) it's hard to tell what orientation that is.

Next:
-Are you sure your normals are facing correctly? That may cause unexpected issues.
-Are you using boolean operations or the Bisect tool? Bools may not perform how you expect, while the Bisect tool has an option for fill/no fill.
-Have you tried "fill holes"?
>>
File: Testarossa.jpg (19KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
Testarossa.jpg
19KB, 620x348px
Can anyone convert this to an OBJ or STL file for me?

I've only been able to find this as a MAX file.

http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/ferrari-testarossa-1984-1303.html
>>
File: griff_by_sythgara-db0076l.jpg (2MB, 3000x2341px) Image search: [Google]
griff_by_sythgara-db0076l.jpg
2MB, 3000x2341px
what is this low poly style called, where they make the topology really shit on purpose?
>>
>>552757
decimated?
>>
>>552757
Shit. It's just a meme and it looks terrible.
>>
Blender cycles is killing me, how do I bake normals to a mesh with multiple uvs? It's simple as hell in maya but takes forever.
>>
>>552753

I was using the Bisect Tool but I had the same issue sometimes with booleans. I haven't tried your tips. I will, thanks anon
>>
>>552757
If they have identical textures on both sides, why don't they overlap UVs?
>>
>>550171
>Simple Stupid Questions

Next thread should be
>Simple Stupid Questions You Never Get Answer To
>>
>>552789
Isn't it due to something related to shading? I remember reading about it once but I don't do much UV work that requires "advanced" knowledge so I'm not really sure.
>>
>>552777
you mean multiple objects? i already answered this
>>
Just discovered how ridiculously expensive Maya and 3DS are for someone doing amateur work. Blender is free so is that considered a more pragmatic option? Will everything I learn from Maya (trial version) be transferable elsewhere?
>>
>>552819
Do you mean amateur work or freelance work? No one gives a shit if you do free work on pirated software. For freelance, I'm not sure what the consensus is but there's nothing wrong with wanting to stay on the safe side (using free programs or valid licenses).

Anyway, in my personal experience learning 3D from nothing takes a lot of time (and learning a new program once you know 3D takes a couple weeks).You're good starting in Blender or Maya, the only thing that should really affect your decision is your end goal. If you're planning to work in the industry, Maya would be better to learn in (it's way more used than Blender), and if you're planning to freelance you might as well learn Blender first.

But keep in mind both have good documentations and switching from one to another isn't terribly difficult down the line.
>>
>>552821
Doing it for fun (game mods being the motivator) but would be interested to get into commercial work when I get better at it.

Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>552797
This
>>
>>552755
Anybody?

I don't need materials or anything like that preserved, just the mesh.
>>
>>552819
>>552824
CONCEPTS will stay the same (topography, modeling techniques) while PROCESS will change. The interface between Maya, Blender, 3DS is different so it won't be a 100% transfer but you'll still learn how to model no matter what you start with.
>>
I have installed Blender and it lags whenever I move the viewport view like a son of a bitch. No other 3D program lags at all on my machine but Blender runs slow as fuck.

Is there a "don't suck" setting for Blender that lets it operate at a normal speed? Is it possible to load just the modelling part of Blender without having it being encumbered with all the other Blender modules?
>>
>>552853
uninstall blender. Learn Modo.
>>
>>550171
hey 3ros ) can anyone tell me or link some tutorials how to make lowpolly water in maya
kinda like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPujZkk7Sfc
>>
>>552860
or better any kind of easy way water tutorial will be great
I've tried to search but whay I find kinda .. IDK I need something

thank you all for being this kind )
>>
i'm shit at math, will I ever be limited by that in 3D?

will I hit a roadblock ever due to how shit my math skills are? I'm assuming rigger dudes have to deal with a lot of math, so probably don't include rigging.
>>
>>552866
no
>>
>>552856
Eat shit.

>>552853
It might be a driver issue, from what I'm seeing. Are you using Win10?
>>
>>552869

Yes. I'm using Windows 10.
>>
>>552870
Well, damn. I'm still using 7 so I can't really help much, unfortunately.

"Try going to File > User Preferences > System > Window Draw Method and change it to something else other than the default value" is something I'm seeing - also check if you're running with integrated graphics or not (if it is, turn it off, if not, turn it on).

Rolling back the graphics driver might help.
>>
Good blender tutorials? I need to make characters. Free or paid.
>>
Beginner here. So when I finish painting the diffuse layer I can create any other layer I need with Photoshop or any other texturing software right? Like when I need a normal map I can use Photoshop or something to generate a normal map out of my diffuse map? The only thing you mostly "paint" is the diffuse map right, along with any other maps you might need like an emmisive map? And if I were painting characters (relatively to today's standards), what are maps you would always need? Diffuse and some sort of bump map? Anything else is just extra to achieve a certain aesthetic?

Final question, what's the hype around Substance painter? I keep hearing about being able to paint over all the maps at once or something, why is this such a big deal? Does it save a lot of time?
>>
>>552916
Cgcookie is pretty good.
>>
>>552916
darine lile is the bomb
>>552918
you don't create other maps if you use diffuse only workflow.
if you wish to use other maps you will need to bake them from sculpts or use substance painter to generate them.
there is a way to work with photoshop but its pretty outdated.
>>
how create level model A technique??
>>
you smart??
>>
I've been working on a scene for roughly a week now in Maya 2017 but there's apparently a bug in 2017 that came up when i reached the uv unwrapping phase of things. as soon as I planar projected a UV shell it made it so any time I'm in that scene the program just locks up. This has also become a problem for my previous incremental saves.

I know there's a way to change the data somewhere in Maya Binary (mb.) files to be able to adapt them to different versions of maya, but have forgotten how to do it.
tl;dr I need to change a mb. so it can go from maya 2017 to 2016. Does anyone have a tutorial for this or can just explain how to do it?
>>
File: Least intelligent comment.png (178KB, 1190x906px) Image search: [Google]
Least intelligent comment.png
178KB, 1190x906px
>>552930
>>552931
>>
May be a dumb question, but:
Is it hard to get into 3d scuplting if im drawing for couple of years? Does this give a some kind of advantage or not?
>>
>>553136
Depending on the kind of drawing, I've heard it helps. You at least have a concept of proportions and scaling, and might also be able to set up a scene well if you know how to draw them.
>>
File: TexturesCom_PanelsWooden0001_M.jpg (687KB, 1949x1455px) Image search: [Google]
TexturesCom_PanelsWooden0001_M.jpg
687KB, 1949x1455px
Literally how do you even approach baroque ornament modeling
>>
>>553140
Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGek7n5LL3o

Some more stuff in the related videos.

Also maybe it'll be easier to figure out if you break it down into different elements, maybe even model some stuff without the curves and then curve them with modifiers.
>>
help??how create level model A technique??
>>
in houdini how do I set alt drag zoom to be vertical instead of horizontal?
>>
I need a good PBR passive renderer for Archviz.
I'm mostly doing real time with Twinmotion and learning UE4, but I want to step up my game with a strong passive renderer. I'd prefer to use the same materials tho to save some time.
There's just so many idk what to pick. Is there a good one for rhino? Or should I just learn C4D?
>>
File: asdada.jpg (159KB, 1884x952px) Image search: [Google]
asdada.jpg
159KB, 1884x952px
First sculpture ever and disregarding the fact that the head looks revolting, the mesh seems to be getting fucked up. What is this phenomenon called and why is it happening? How to avoid it?
>>
>>553208
do you know what polygons are senpai

google dyntopo
>>
>>553140
Here anon

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?277242-Blender-Baroque-(organic-modeling-and-retopology)
>>
File: halp.jpg (168KB, 713x1352px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
168KB, 713x1352px
I'm trying to properly rig/skin whatever this swimwear to the body, and I can make it work fine within Blender with the "Preserve Volume" checkbox in the Armature modifier.

The only problem here is that "Preserve Volume" seems to only work within Blender and does not export, at least not in the format I'm trying to export (proprietary format for Team Ninja).

Is there some way to make this function export? Potentially a simple workaround? Perhaps a useful modifier I've overlooked that can accomplish something similar here? I would really prefer the simplest option I can get because I will be working on many models that will require similar steps.
>>
File: VLA073-LVL1-LI-BL-LG.gif (54KB, 828x553px) Image search: [Google]
VLA073-LVL1-LI-BL-LG.gif
54KB, 828x553px
I'd like to do some practice work making arch viz renders but for the life of me I can't find any sites that distribute free floor/CC0 plans.

Are there any go to websites for floor plans that don't cost $700-$1400? My main concern is getting fucked over by copyright issues.

My goal is to start building a portfolio so that complicates things a bit.
>>
>>553224
For you to get in trouble with copyright, you'd need:
1. For an actual copyright holder to come upon your fairly obscure archviz portfolio,
2. Recognize their floor/houseplans from your renders and
3. Decide to sue you, an absolute random who is making no conceivable profit from their stuff

I'm not even sure if modeling off someone's floorplans would be considered copyright infringement seeing how different the final product is from the initial work, but eh, I guess it could be argued it's the same as building the actual house with stolen floorplans, and that's obviously got to be protected somehow as that's how these guys are expected to make their money.
>>
File: volcanostorm1.jpg (55KB, 964x612px) Image search: [Google]
volcanostorm1.jpg
55KB, 964x612px
>>550171
how to i get access to cgpeers.com? or find some ripping software/ free models to edit, i'm mainly wanting to animate stuff.
>>
>>553229
Registration opens the first of the month I think which is real soon.

Ripping software you'll want Noesis and Ninjaripper, and whatever software people make for the games you want to rip. Ninjaripper won't rip the models with their rigs though. There's models on SFMLab.com, Garrysmods.org, P3DM.ru, TF3DM.com, Smutba.se, Models-Resource.com, DeviantArt if you look up XNALara / XPS, and Facepunch.com in the right forums but usually they just upload their shit to the GMod / SFM workshop.
>>
>>553224
You could ask some architecture students for their plans. You are going to need more than floor plans tho. Sections and views.

Or you could ask some engineering firms or small architecture firms. These usually don't have the know how, budget or incentive to produce quality visualisations, so if you offer to do it for cheap or free they might give you some work.

There should also be 'open source' plans of famous historic buildings, but those are gonna be difficult to model. You could also check sites like competition online or similar architecture and just pull your plans from there. Archdaily has a very nice website with tons of projects, Architizer might be worth a shot too. The plans won't be CAD files, but if you can find high res pngs or w/e you can go with those. Bonus point is that you will also have photos or visualisations of these projects as reference.

If you just want to render and don't want to model, there should be a bunch of free training scenes floating around the Web. But if you're going to do Archviz you will need to model.
>>
what's the learning curve to get a good workflow going in substance designer?

is it worth it if i'm an independent game developer trying to create my own assets, or is it too "professional" and time-consuming for one person to really accomplish a good number of assets for their own game?
>>
>>553239
++ also, substance painter as well
>>
>>553239
It's very easy to learn, especially if you used a node based program before.

source: I did a bunch of intro tutorials

Seriously tho, get the student or trial version and do the intro tutorials. The guy doing them (Ves Dermont) is doing a fantastic job.
>>
>>553239
Agree. I had never worked with Nodes before, i learned Designer from Ves, then i started with learning Nuke and Houdini and i started to love nodes above all. Fuck layer-systems, give me nodes!

Designer is easy to learn, if you got it you can produce lots of materials, same with Painter. Both are 5-10x faster than doing textures the old way.
>>
>>553266
Parametric modeling is a blast anyway

It's like directing someone to do the dirty work for you while you play around with sliders
>>
>>553266
>>553246
>>553267
>Both are 5-10x faster than doing textures the old way
awesome, just what I was hoping to hear. being a one-man army in game development is fuggin hardcore difficult if you decide to go the 3D just from the sheer amount of time it takes to produce nice assets, even for a very small game. cheers
>>
>>553209
So if I wanna start with a sphere and make an entire statue from it, dyntopo is the way to go?

I'm watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsKPCCFbr4 right now.
>>
Messing around in Unity with the built in 3rd person controller. Placed the Main camera underneath the controller. When I move around, it's far too fast so I need to slow it down. How?
>>
File: cylindermerge.png (236KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cylindermerge.png
236KB, 500x500px
best way to create the cylinder I've circled in red? aka how do I wrap a cylinder around another large one? Even just a keyword for me to search would be great.

Maya 2016
>>
>>553393
Create the smaller cylinder with a flat seal extruded, then deform that seal using lattice until it roughly follows the curvature of your big cylinder.

For more complicated operations you might want to look into an align to surface script, but this one is simple enough lattice should handle it just fine.
>>
File: Capture.png (101KB, 1582x946px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
101KB, 1582x946px
I'm trying to make a character and I just noticed this as I was moving edges around. What's this phenomenon called? Any way to fix it without throwing it all in the trash?
>>
File: 1487545123894.png (107KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1487545123894.png
107KB, 600x400px
>>550171
I'm going to phrase this weirdly so please be patient with me.
The less vertices and faces a model has the better it is on hardware. This applies to 3d models with the intent of using them in games.
But is there a standardized chart for how many vertices a game-model should have? Like for example "this # of vertices is considered low poly and is ideal for machines with Xgb of video memory"? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I want to create game models for a little side project, and I want to maximize the efficiency of render so it is less demanding on lower machine specs.
>>
>>553397
throw it.
all 3d objects should be with uniform topology (isn't a must but dense topology is not good).

honestly the best way to avoid this is simply working with mirror +subdivison(level1). this way you can block out anything you want quickly and maintain good edge flow
>>
>>553399
a lowpoly character should be around 0 to 10k polygons.
10k polygons should be the maximum and that's pushing it.
an actual lowpoly character shouldn't be more than 4k polygons.
>>
File: 324234.png (75KB, 447x672px) Image search: [Google]
324234.png
75KB, 447x672px
>>553401
here is an example
>>
>>553402
Cool to know. I've been looking at various models in different marketplaces and I'm analyzing them while looking at their poly count. Some lowpoly models have similar number of poly as some models that aren't labeled low poly.
Maybe my potatoe brain can't register the difference. Thanks though.
>>
>>553401
I'm following along with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNEK7OGgFiM

I could throw it, but what do you think happened with my model for it to get like this? Don't really want it to happen again.

I've been watching different tutorials for the past two weeks and I've made many failed attempts at a character now but I still haven't really grasped what people mean when they use terms such as "good topology" and "good edge flow". Is there any baby's first tutorial for this?

I'm honestly kind of daunted by all of this talk (sculpting, box modeling, topology, retopology etc). Am I better off getting a big book that goes through all of this stuff? It must exist, right?

I'm ready to fail a lot as I try to get better but I'm still feeling I could be spending my learning time a bit more effectively.
>>
>>553408
darine lile tutorials are pretty heavy for newcomers or people who haven't modeled much.

not saying don't learn it, you should come back to darine lile tutorials at the proper time.
but you should simply follow simple modeling techniques to more complex ones,once you build enough speed and get used to the key binds modeling will become fun and not daunting any longer.
for this you must learn about modeling techniques such as bevel,inset,edge slide,bridge loops etc.
all can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/cgboorman/videos
just skip the things that are irrelevant to you, dude is patient and fun to listen to.
>>
File: Capture.png (190KB, 1910x959px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
190KB, 1910x959px
>>553411
I don't know, man. I've reached #24 (knife tool) in BornCG's Blender 2.7 series. I'll probably finish it soon. I've also seen other tutorials covering the basic tools.

I was following along with Darine's tutorial just fine (at least as far as I can tell) before I noticed that earlier fuckup, and I don't even know what I did wrong.

If this keeps up I'll probably stick to making basic objects and only super simple characters to begin with.
>>
Are images on /3/ not appearing for other people too ?
Other boards seem to work fine, how do I fix this ?
>>
>>553416
Same here
>>
>>553415
get rid of the dense loops in the middle
just dissolve those edges
>>
>>553422
Yeah I know they're stupid dense but that's because I got stuck before the step in the video where we're supposed to move the edges outward to get them more evenly spaced. At this point I noticed duplicate faces (>>553397) and I'm not sure how to reliably identify them all and remove them without ruining some other key part of the mesh. I know that some video I watched like a week ago brought this hypothetical situation up but I can't really remember exactly where it was or how it went.

I'll have another look at the mesh tomorrow.
>>
>>553420
>>553416
ask hiro at /qa/ it also happened with other boards throughout the week probably a server bug or something
>>
File: bones.webm (1MB, 974x586px) Image search: [Google]
bones.webm
1MB, 974x586px
fuck
Also clearing rotation/location doesn't work properly, but going back to edit mode fixes it.
>>
File: 1412279643876.jpg (20KB, 347x316px) Image search: [Google]
1412279643876.jpg
20KB, 347x316px
in maya 2017 I no longer have the blend shape erase/smooth brushes under the sculpting tab

where have they gone?
>>
>>553530
Have you checked their changelog? Useful read from time to time. Really helps you to know your program.
>>
>>553512
Please tell me that HandIK.R isn't actually parented to your Hand.R and that you have a separate hierarchy for your IK bones.
>>
>>553535
>HandIK.R isn't actually parented to your Hand.R
It isn't, but it was to another bone, probably should not have abused ctrl+z too much.
>>
does anyone know how the pose driver works in unreal engine?

I have a number of corrective blendshapes for certain body deformations

I want it to work on all animations+ragdoll physics so I don't want to make animation specific targets

isn't it possible to just drive them with the rotation value of a joint?
>>
Maya question.

I'm trying to make a digital clock but I have no idea on how to add in the time. What's the best way of doing this?
>>
if I'm making assets for a computer game, is it better to have edge loops and a single smoothing group (more polys), or to split my edges up with hard edges (less polys)?

hopefully my question was clear enough
>>
>>553597
Are you asking whether you should control hard edges with control loops or smoothing groups?

It will depend, because ideally you don't want 100% hard edges (with no smoothing/bevel, those look bad). If you're using a tileable texture on your mesh then go with control loops, korean bevels, weighted face normals, whatever you want to produce your smoothing.
You can use hard edges (from smoothing groups) when you're baking down from a high poly onto unique UVs.

Control loops increase your vertex count but so do UV splits, in either case polycount is generally not a massive consideration, how you're going to organize your textures/shaders matters a lot more.

So to sum up, control loops (or equivalent methods) to create bevels when you use generic textures, smoothing groups/splits when you're using a mesh-specific normal map.
>>
File: 3D_room_by_EluxioS.jpg (129KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
3D_room_by_EluxioS.jpg
129KB, 900x675px
>>553598
>ideally you don't want 100% hard edges (with no smoothing/bevel, those look bad).
I actually don't mine that because my game isn't realistic but rather inspired by pic related, retro 90s graphics

I was just wondering which is more efficient and will produce less artifacts / shading problems when baking things like AO and normal/bump maps...

I'm not sure what you mean by unique UVs vs. generic textures ??? all my model assets have unique UVs...
>>
>>553599
>baking ao
nigga you can get dynamic ssao for less than 2 milliseconds per frame
>>
I keep getting this error when trying to export in Substance Painter:

[Shelf Agent] Updated export preset cannot be saved: default shelf is only available in read only mode because either you don't have write permission or because it is locked by another process

any idea what the fuck that means
>>
>>553606
try running as admin?
>>
why is there no simple way to move vertices to specific coordinates in Maya?

I'm currently switching from max to maya and I love it, but I noticed I need to run a script in order to do something as simple as snap a vertex x coord to 0, unless I want to mess with the pivot. Is there a reason why this software lacks this simple feature?
>>
>>553628
In the top right corner there are three separate input spaces for x y and z coordinates, left from them you can select if you want to move vertices to absolute or relative coordinate, choose absolute transform and punch in the coordinates that you want.
>>
>>553631
I must be retarded because I cannot for the life of me find what you're talking about, however I did find the component editor that lets you edit individual vertices's coordinates so that's great. It's still easier to use a script to snap to 0 whereas in max all I have to do is right click the coordinate box, but it's not a big deal.
>>
>>553408
I was in your position a few weeks ago. I didn't find a babby's first tutorial to spoonfeed me everything (I wish) but from watching a shit ton of different tutorial series by different youtubers and most importantly practicing a ton and trashing and redoing a lot of models taught me a shit ton of techniques and practices. I can model a biped with good animation topology without much effort now.

If you're struggling grasping what is and isn't good topology you should probably be tackling simpler objects than a biped.
>>
File: Coords.png (22KB, 1917x59px) Image search: [Google]
Coords.png
22KB, 1917x59px
>>553682
You're not retarded, the input fields are probably just hidden by default, here is a pic that will hopefully explain the location better.
And as you already figured out, you can use the mel command line to move, scale and rotate stuff as well, it's usually faster and more precise that way too.
>>
How do I "save" expressions on a joint based facial rig? So I dont have to redo them every time.
>>
>>553732
key them?
>>
File: ss (2017-03-02 at 11.27.37).png (93KB, 1078x792px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-03-02 at 11.27.37).png
93KB, 1078x792px
Hey, I done goofed and enabled something I shouldn't have. Now when I enter wireframe I can see hidden geometry (the non-selected crossbar) and I don't know the right search terms to put into google to disable it. How do I fix this?
>>
>>553732
in maya you can use the set driven key thing and link it to a nurbs slider. I'm sure blender has something comparable.
>>
>>553692
that is exactly what i needed, why the fuck is that hidden. thanks anon!
>>
File: ObjModeRotatex&ScaleY.png (55KB, 1456x716px) Image search: [Google]
ObjModeRotatex&ScaleY.png
55KB, 1456x716px
Newbie here. I have issues understanding why Blender does different things here

This is what happens in object mode when I rotate a cube along the x and then scale along the y
>>
File: EditModeRotateX&ScaleY.png (64KB, 1688x742px) Image search: [Google]
EditModeRotateX&ScaleY.png
64KB, 1688x742px
>>553849
And this is what happens in edit mode when I rotate a cube along the x and then scale along the y

Does this have to do with global and local space or is that another thing? And why does the cube grow in height in the object mode example if I'm only scaling on the y?
>>
>>553850
why do you transform 2 objects nigga?
when you transform 2 objects blender assign 1 transformation point for both, not for each.
if pivot point goes off somewhere just apply object to origin and ctrl+a apply scale
>>
>>553851
As far as I know I'm only trying to transform one object, a cube. That's the only thing selected.
>>
>>553852
i don't see the problem then
>>
>>553853
That's okay but I have issues understanding why Blender does different things, hence the question
>>
>>553855
you tilted the cube then scaled on x.
the axis is universal, therefore you couldn't scale it like a regular cube
>>
>>553856
I don't get it. As far as I know I'm rotating on the x and then scaling on the y. Why am I not scaling on the y? Which axis is universal and why? What's a regular cube? Are my cubes special? help
>>
>>553857
you are scaling on the Y
i just tested it.
if you scale on Y without applying rotation,scale and location the cube just gets bigger
if you do it stretches which is what is supposed to happen, so i don't understand your complaint.
and why are you scaling and rotating in edit mode? you are steering off your pivot point. only start editing when you are extruding more Pisces.
>Why am I not scaling on the y?
but you are, whats the problem? green is Y
>Which axis is universal and why?
all axis are universal x,y,z. it means no matter where your object is x will always be x and y will always be y. unless you change it to local which turns your z into y i think.
>What's a regular cube?
the default cube
>Are my cubes special?
generally speaking you shouldn't scale cubes at 45 degrees because blender dosen't know how much thickness the mid section should have in comparison to the sides

sorry for the mindfuck, just pushe edges around if you are not satisfied with scaling.
>>
>>553874
disregard my last comment, you can scale anything as long as your scale and location is applied
>>
>>553874
>>553875
Thanks for the explanation attempt

I settled at dragging vertices and edges around in the end.

It might have been that I simply mixed up the scale with something I'd done earlier for some tutorial, resulting in confusion.
>>
File: flota3.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
flota3.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Does somebody has a cgpeers forum account?

i really need the Phoenix FD 3.0 plugin for 3dsmax 2016 and it seem to only be in the forum.

2 mill particles limit for the demo is too low for any simulation.
>>
>>553913
Why not just use krakatoa or houdini?
>>
>>553850
>>553910
that happens to me when i have an object parented to another.
>>
does anyone know how to change the field of view for the perspective camera in maya?
>>
>>553922
I made a scene from scratch and plopped a cube in. Still happens. Oh well
>>
File: Capture.png (248KB, 426x833px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
248KB, 426x833px
Here's my first sculpture. I'm gonna have to trash it and start over but supposing that you wanted to quickly put clothes on it, what options do you have? Do people generally just sculpt the clothes on top of the body? In that case, what happens if you later want to change clothes? Do you just keep a saved copy of the naked body around?
>>
>>553925
Just sculpt the clothes out of a separate subtool or whatever your sculpting program's equivalent is. The body will be intact under them.
>>
>>553926
Thanks. Forgot to mention it's Blender.

By the way, how do you deal with breasts if you're creating a mesh and then do multires sculpting on top of it, like in my pic? If your character has big tits that fold and rest on top of the rib cage, how do you create that crease where the underboob and rib cage meet? Alternatively, do you first sculpt the breasts outwards and then somehow pull them down to rest nicely on the chest?
>>
File: flota2.jpg (656KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
flota2.jpg
656KB, 1280x720px
>>553915
because this one is veeeeeeeeery simple to use and is from the vray guys.
>>
File: Untitled.png (219KB, 1119x657px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
219KB, 1119x657px
>>553927
that's one way you could do it. I kinda struggle with creases as well, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this but what I do is sculpt (the breast in this case) as a separate object, then merge it onto the ribcage. The problem is that when remeshing they might weld together and you will need to redefine the crease with a thin brush.

I suggest you look for sculpting videos on youtube and pay attention to how artists sculpt the nose, the space between the nostril and the cheek in particular, which also creases. You might be able to adapt the same techniques.
>>
>>553932
oh and if blender has an equivalent to the inflate tool, you can inflate slightly on top of a crease to raise both surfaces between the crease. This will make it look more natural
>>
File: IMG_0234.png (2MB, 1200x1656px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0234.png
2MB, 1200x1656px
Hey, what is, in most people's opinion, the best way to go about modeling a face? I'm using Blender, I'm planning on using shape keys for modifying facial expressions, and attached is a crappy model sheet I threw together for my reference. I have modeled shit before, but I'm aiming to make a full-functioning face rig along with the model, and that is something I've never attempted. Figured I'd ask some people who know what they are doing.
>>
>>553952
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JiuZpbi_w
>>
>>553932
>>553933
Thanks, will try this on my next attempt
>>
>>551386
check out "smoothing groups"
>>
File: subsurf.png (216KB, 840x883px) Image search: [Google]
subsurf.png
216KB, 840x883px
I'm taking my first steps into modeling. I'm doing a stylized head (see pic) and I just turned on the subsurface modifier. This resulted in a really recessed lower jaw. What's the typical way of dealing with this?

I tried doing a loop cut thing and dragging it toward the tip of the chin which did solve the issue, but it also introduced a pinch along the face.
>>
>>554091
edge crease?
>>
greetings from /o/

i doubted this question warranted it's own thread so here goes...

several years ago i was heavily into secondlife and created dozens of vehicles, i've not really thought about these till recently when i purchased a 3d printer.
my question is, is there a way of exporting the files from secondlife in a form that can either be 3d printed or easily converted to printable formats?

i asked in /diy/ but they're too busy making chain mail or underground shipping container bunkers.

cheers.
>>
>>553850
>>553849
>>553924
You're scaling it in the /local/ coordinates rather than global. Generally you tap the direction twice (X then X again, Z then Z again, Y then Y again) to get local transform but your seems to be doing that by default for some reason. I don't know how to fix it, sorry, but that should get you started along the path. You can hit Ctrl-A to "apply" various transforms and reset the global and local orientations to be the same, though (you want rotation).

>>553856
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, that's non-default behavior and should use global by default unless you've messed up a setting
>>
>>554094
Welcome to /3/; I can't answer your question but I'm letting you know this is a SLOW board so don't get discouraged if you don't get an answer for a few days.

Found this on google, don't know if it's relevant but there's the names of a few model viewers in the description so maybe you could use those to rip the models?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg8y556lng8
>>
>>554098
thanks, yeah i know this is one of the slower boards, so thanks for the prompt reply.
i'll have a look and see what's what.
>>
File: untitled.png (224KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
224KB, 1920x1080px
>>554093
Thanks, I didn't know that existed.

Now it looks like this. I see that there are still some uneven and sharp areas.

If I wanted to animate this face, what do I need to learn? Is there any good noob tutorial out there that uses a mesh similar to mine?
>>
>>554091
>really recessed lower jaw
Don't be afraid to mess around with the vertices inside the mesh to get the result you want after subsurf. Try pulling out the chin area - it won't look pretty inside the object since the vertices will be far out, but it doesn't need to.
>>
File: untitled.png (296KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
296KB, 1920x1080px
>>554106
Thanks. I didn't really know what to do at first since I was scared of ruining the original object. If I don't have to care about that I guess it's fine. It looks fucked up if I remove the subsurf now.

Anyway it's coming along but I have these particular problem areas. It's like the edges are rounded by themselves and it's hard to do anything to it without accidentally something else.
>>
File: GeometryHoles.jpg (153KB, 1144x967px) Image search: [Google]
GeometryHoles.jpg
153KB, 1144x967px
Why do I have "holes" on the edges of my geometry, in the red boxes? The green boxes are set up the same way but they work - what I did was I ripped each surface (long runs, e.g. where it steps in or out) to get a nice edge on the face that's normal to the screen, but it's not quite working how I'd expect it to. What am I doing wrong?

In addition, is this is the right way to build such geometry or is there a better way?
>>
File: 1488787693492.jpg (172KB, 1144x967px) Image search: [Google]
1488787693492.jpg
172KB, 1144x967px
>>554188
The reason the edges "smooth" away, is the software is trying to figure out what is smooth and what is hard edged, its averaging the angles and distance of the surrounding edges, so if you had a graph with 3 points, 1 on the bottom, the middle point really high, and the end point lower than the middle, one would expect a "bell curve" instead of a triangle. The solution is to place an edge loop close to the smoothed edge. in terms of geometry, always avoid anything above 4 edges, quads are comprised of 2 tri's, and its preferable to use quads because they allow tools like bevel and edge flow to function correctly. so instead of making squares at the corners, make triangles.
>>
File: 8ef20514ffb9c42afa8c6c4e00de9f43.jpg (276KB, 564x5469px) Image search: [Google]
8ef20514ffb9c42afa8c6c4e00de9f43.jpg
276KB, 564x5469px
>>553952
Get your reference and start drawing closed loops around the face, this will help you visualize the topology you will need to polygon model a face. Draw a loop around the nose, the eyes, the mouth. most importantly is to keep working on it, most people will model something up, get frustrated that it looks bad then stop, if you look at professional 2d or 3d artists, they often change proportions and positions until it feels right, which doesn't always look 100% like their reference
>>
File: csg_tree.png (72KB, 800x709px) Image search: [Google]
csg_tree.png
72KB, 800x709px
>>553393
Best way would be to use CAD software like autocad, sketchup, or moi. these softwares use solids which are basically NURBS, that can handle complex joining and boolean functions, which is then converted to polygons, otherwsie these can be done by hand by moving the cylinder to where you want it, cut a hole in the other cylinder, then snap the verts from the hole to the shape of the first cylinder, after some cleanup, you should be done
>>
>>553208
too many subdivisions on the face, not enough on the nose, or the torso. what you are looking at are super stretched polygons.
>>
>>552799
>>552789
Overlapping uv's can produce lighting errors if there is baked lighting, as the stacked uv's will have one correct UV normal direction, and one reversed, with the other parts lighting incorrectly baked on. also organic models usually need a bit of difference in the texture otherwise it looks a bit uncanny/fake
>>
>>554113
Also, if I'm going to attach this to a body, how do I do that? Turn off the modifier and join faces between torso and neck?
>>
File: ss (2017-03-06 at 07.26.19).jpg (89KB, 770x782px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-03-06 at 07.26.19).jpg
89KB, 770x782px
>>554224
Thanks mate, works perfectly now. I had a hunch it had something to do with the poles (? right term) but I wasn't 100% sure.
>>
File: ss (2017-03-07 at 03.24.36).jpg (40KB, 527x767px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-03-07 at 03.24.36).jpg
40KB, 527x767px
Any suggestions on how to make this part? The best way I can describe it is that it kind of looks like a pringles chip - it's a thin sheet that's bent into shape with pins fixing it. I can't really grasp how I would go about making this.
>>
File: ss (2017-03-07 at 03.57.04).png (31KB, 861x628px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-03-07 at 03.57.04).png
31KB, 861x628px
>>554431
This is as far as I've gotten, and it looks pretty bad; it doesn't subdivide well since there's tris and I can't make quads since the faces aren't flat.
>>
File: ss (2017-03-08 at 09.43.12).png (27KB, 1140x462px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-03-08 at 09.43.12).png
27KB, 1140x462px
More problems, fun. So I want to get a smooth loop but shade flat on the outside; that's fine and works well since I can subdivivde and edge split to get the surfaces I want. However, I also want to bevel to get a nice rounded edge/transition between the loop. Problem is it ends up looking terrible and I don't know how to fix it. I've tried every combination of the subdiv/edge split/bevel modifiers and I'm using "Limit method: Vertex groups" to try and restrict beveling to the edges I want instead of every subdivided edge.

Is there any way to fix this or am I boned unless I apply the modifiers, then bevel? I'd like the option of keeping LOD (subdivision).
>>
File: Untitled.png (24KB, 832x875px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24KB, 832x875px
Newbie here.

What do I do in this situation? Don't know if it's because I'm a brainlet but I can't fill this in without ending up with either a tri or an ngon. I've been trying for 2 hours now.

Do I have to just delete everything, find the root of it and make sure that the upper loop also has an even number of verts? Or what? Kill me.
>>
>>554699
Hit F, select new face, hit Spacebar, type "flat", click on Flatten, continue as normal.

Though, if you're trying to preserve the geometry I can't help you there. can you zoom out so we can see what exactly you're trying to fix?

Also, you can press Ctrl-T to turn the selected face into tris, which may or may not help you.
>>
File: ass.png (29KB, 578x843px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
29KB, 578x843px
>>554722
Thanks for the tip.

I'm following a tutorial, was trying to make an ass. Ended up sperging out with the dissolve tool, removed an edge in the inner thigh, and then I managed to follow along and get it finished.
>>
File: screencap.png (56KB, 1399x604px) Image search: [Google]
screencap.png
56KB, 1399x604px
Images aren't loading, why does this only happen on this board?
>>
>>556407
It's happening on all the slow boards. tl;dr Mook / Jackie 4chan / NewMoot fucked something up and deleted half the images somehow, so they're all gone.
>>
File: maya.jpg (82KB, 1153x676px) Image search: [Google]
maya.jpg
82KB, 1153x676px
How do I make this a circle?
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.