[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just found out something very disturbing regarding autodesk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: autodeskno.jpg (623KB, 1917x1080px) Image search: [Google]
autodeskno.jpg
623KB, 1917x1080px
just found out something very disturbing regarding autodesk
>>
Well meme'd my dude
>>
Why do people hate autodesk?
>>
>>549239
>30$ a month
>can't buy the software
>people use uvlayout,topogun and xnormal because they won't update their tools
>>
>>549239
They let their software become worse than Blender while still having the gall to charge for it.
>>
>>549239
people here have a hardon for blender because le open source xd, when in reality an extremely small amount of studios in the industry use blender.
Chalk it up to 4chan aggressively trying to be contrarian as per usual.

although autodesk stuff is very expensive tho.
>>
I work in a pretty big studio, and I'm the only artist there that mainly use Blender as my modelling toolkit. (Jumped from Maya to Blender two years ago, I still use Maya now and then, as well as a stepping stone when I input my models into the pipeline, but I'm never tempted to go back.)

All day I read chat comments from other team members having Maya crash and bug out in countless ways. It's a super-powerful suite, but jesus fucking christ, it reliably shits itself if you do stuff like trying to undo a bevel, or refrain from deleting the history every three minutes.
>>
>>549245
don't maya have a history stack? (open stack, search for the undo and click)
>>
>>549243
Just because Blender is open source doesn't give Autodesk the excuse to make their software unbelievable garbage. Especially when you have better alternatives like Modo, Zbrush, 3D Coat, and MARI. In the past Autodesk has been able to deal with the competition by just acquiring them out and then killing their software (see Softimage and Lightwave). Now that they actually have to compete their being exposed for the joke of a software development firm they are.
>>
>>549246
Sure does, and in Maya 2017 that will very frequently immediately and violently crash the program. There might have been recent updates that fixes that particular issue, but I haven't really played with it recently, beyond when I absolutely have to use it - but in general I just think it's a bloated and slow piece of software - even if it's immensely powerful, I just don't enjoy working in it. Blender next to never crashes on me, it's super-fast and fun to work in, and I like having an orderly modifier stack and hotkey-driven workflow. I've heard great things about Modo, though, and wouldn't be surprised if it blows Blender's box modelling tools out of the water - but we don't have any licenses for that, so I'll have to play with that in my own time. :(
>>
>>549247
maya isnt made for modelling you retard. Its an animation program. Max is the modelling program but if you werent mentally challenged you would do your modelling in modo and zbrush
>>
>>549247
Lightwave is still around and not owned by autodiks.
>>
>>549248
i hear modo have some sick bolean and retopo tools.
>>
>>549251
I don't really like booleans - but I'm super-interested in anything that can change my mind about'em, hah! I'm currently looking into the Hard Op plugin for Blender - but I'll make sure to check out that in Modo as well. Thanks!

Retopo is ez tho :U
>>
>>549249
I wasn't taking about just Maya you prolapsed anus sucker.
>>
>>549265
go take a lesson in zbrush and modo you cocksucker
>>
>>549240
>30$ a month
>can't buy the software

What? They went with adobe's subscription model? When did this happen?
>>
>>549240
Headus UVLayout? That shit is the bomb. What program would you recommend besides Mayas auto UV pack?
>>
>>549319
For years dude, at least four.
>>
>>549321
Three*

My bad, been up for almost two days. I believe they ended purchases in 2014.
>>
>>549239

>products are overencumbered behemoths
>every year new version with next to nothing useful added
>ancient features
>overpriced as shit
>not enough competition until recently
>have a habit of buying actually good software and technology, break it into pieces and add it to their own
>SLOW AS FUCK
>a pain to work with even as distributors (you have no idea how god awful that side of their websites look like and how they perform)
>for some reason (probably inertia), big content producers refuse to move away, leading to good plugins still being developed mainly for their software (looking at you, VRay)
>pricing policies that even their people don't like
>focusing on corporate cloud when content privacy is a must in a lot of cases (had clients drop whole deals when they hear about these features. Police, army, secret services all drop these products like hot potatoes when they hear the word subscription, and private clients have to spend a lot more on extra security)

I've got more, just ask.
>>
>>549266
Modo has started popping up around here more and more. Is it worth picking up nowadays?
>>
>>549329
I heard it doesn't handle high polycount very well.
>>
So what's the alternatives?
>>
>>549332
Modo for modelling, maya for animation, mari for texturing, zbrush for sculpting.
>>
>>549240
>pirate it
>Produce stuff
>If you suddenly decide to use your shit for profit just buy a license and pretend you did it legally
Sorted.
>>
>>549332
Blender

If it doesn't have something you want, maybe one of the thousands of user-made addons does it. And if it costs money, pirates use Blender too.
>>
My company uses SketchUp/Layout and import into Autodesk using V-RAY CPU on shit machines for architectural visualization. I've been trying to talk them into a different pipeline but they don't listen to me because I am a dev and not an artist. Can anyone give me a better pipeline to pitch?

They refuse to use substance, we should be doing our materials and fixtures in Zbrush, and I know they secretly just take a texture and use Photoshop Find Edges to make bumps. Artist peeps pls give tips
>>
>>549356
sketchup to vray is like an ancient that alot of compaines use to speed up to process.

from what iv gathered, employers don't really give a shit about quality. they just want to match the specs to the needed work quickly as possible.
don't try to argue or go out of line, this is how things are being done. employers can ask you to do 10 different things but god forbid if you actually try to change anything in their workflow.
just go with the flow and let the company sink,join a better one later.
>>
>>549351
i would use blender if the UI didn't look like something out of the 90s.
That and the navigation controls are disgusting, but idk if you can change those or not.
>>
I use lightwave and blender.

I learned how to model and animate on lightwave in college, stuck with it.

I find blender better in every way. But I have trouble with it still, whereas lightwave is as straight forward as it was back in 2005. As it is now. I've never had a hard crash in it or blender.

I will never use maya or 3d max, seems pointless.

My career is nothing to do with art, but my hobby and second paycheck is art.
>>
File: 90s.png (213KB, 1599x862px) Image search: [Google]
90s.png
213KB, 1599x862px
>>549358
It really doesn't, not even the default theme.
>>
>>549358

You can change everything about Blender, the problem is YOU have to change it.

You have to go and find the add-ons, the py extensions (I forget what it's called, like QTPy or something), and so on
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.