[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cost to maintain GameDev team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

Hello /3/

Could you give me a heads up on the salaries for an small-medium gameDev team?

Here is what I estimate

- Senior Character Artist: $50k
- Junior Character Artist $27k
- Junior Character Artist $27k
- Senior Environment Artist $40k
- Junior Environment Artist $24k

- GUI Artist + programmer $28k

- Lead Programmer $55k
- Junior Programmer (Gameplay) $30k
- Another Junior Programmer $30k
- Senior Programmer Graphics $45k

- Game Designer $24k

- Sound Artist $30k

-----------------
$410k per year total
>>
>>548507
Where are you getting these numbers, hombre? I just graduated and I'm making $50k as a temp environment artist.
>>
finished MSc in UK, our best students got hired for about 24k GBP (30k usd), as Juniors.

...But I feel it's a very low salary, so need advice
>>
>>548513
Newcastle Uni
>>
no indie team in the world can afford that kind of staff.
>>
>>548515

yes, but looking at the mentioned size of team. So was thinking around 500k-ish?
>>
>>548516
yes
>>
>>548518
oh i forgot to mention taxes,water,electricity,city hall fire department license, and sanitary license+health insurance :P
>>
>>548519
+Hardware and software licenses.
>>
>>548507
A reasonable indie team consists of 2 artists, 2 programmers, a designer and producer. Music is contracted out. Use a third-party engine to save time and money. The producer should know his shit and handle marketing/networking/business like it's his job and not a hobby. Don't bother hunting down an office until you've got a golden goose.

Alternatively, you could fuck everyone over and promise profit-sharing.
>>
File: wtfman.jpg (286KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
wtfman.jpg
286KB, 800x800px
>>548513
No wonder there aren't many British game studios. I have a friend who just graduated, got a programming job at a simulation company and is making twice that. In the southeast US.
>>
>>548522
Thank you, looking at assembling team person by person, aiming at supercell etc.

>Don't bother hunting down an office until you've got a golden goose
Could you please explain?

Definitely using 3rd party engine for first few years.

Thank you!
>>
>>548522
Hm, 2 artists, sounds right, but thinking about character creation / animating / environment / gui that seems too little even for the small-medium game.
>>
>>548532
you have tools that can help you animate easily. for FPS games/rts you don't need a whole lot of animation
>>
>>548530
Offices are a drain on your already-limited funds to make games. It's better to have people regularly meet up at a public place or use teleconferencing if that isn't feasible.

>>548532
UIs are highly dependent on the progress of the game. Over time there may be changes to the game that require modifying or removing certain parts of the interface. This is especially true during play-testing. Use placeholder art until all necessary systems are in place and the gameplay is finalized, then finish the UI. That isn't to say you shouldn't have concept art for the interface, though.
>>
File: 124144124124.jpg (50KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
124144124124.jpg
50KB, 500x330px
>>548537

Thanks,

There is approximatelly 27k GBP ($32k) to maintain office per year, for 6 people

To provide software + equipment, that's 13k GBP ( $16k ), but it can be considered a one-time cost, although additions are inevitable
>>
>>548537
very good advice about UI
>>
>>548520
can be rented, but still a good point

>>548519
Perhaps some are not needed for UK
>>
>>548520
Just use Blender senpai xD
>>
>>548541
get a team to work at a certain location. just find a garage spot/some empty unused room and make it your work space.

this is what people do and there is no shame in doing that.
next is the software, software costs alot of money but if you stick to rental and cheap solutions like modo/mari you can sustain the license or maybe even blender.
show that you are serious by creating a document consisted of everything you want. there are plenty of hungry artist out there but not alot of directors who know what the fuck they are doing.
>>
>>548558
modo is shit. blender is shit as well - that should go w/o saying

>show that you are srs
are you having a giggle m8?
>>
>>548558
Thank you!

Yes, I have a university business-advisor & a businessplan (but as was pointed out the numbers are a little off).

Talked to a couple of accountants and going to make a company very soon
>>
A senior 3d/2d generalist- $90k
A junior 3d/2d generalist- $50k
A programmer- $80k
A tech artist- your programmer
A game designer - you
Animation- outsourced
Sound- outsourced
UI- outsourced
>>
>>548560
modo and blender aren't shit. they might be a little difficult to work with however. but those difficulties disappear over time
>>
>>548522
Thanks for the heads up on music, will get a contract with studio / artist
>>
>>548522
How much will we have to spend to create music + narrate the game (10 different voices) if contracted out? (for small-medium game)
Cheers
>>
>>548562
OP here again, I have medium-to-advanced knowledge in all tech-related (except sound) areas related to game, so I could take various roles within my team.

During MSc I've built a fully working engine (C++, OpenGL 4.5), which features double-bounce VXGI.
I also coded a bucket-based database for sorting 10 million people in leaderboard + coded A* pathfinding. As of 3D, I know all aspects of it, up to the point of symmetrical UV unwrap topology and performance issues. My most favourite areas are animation and rigging (working in 3DS)
But I never had skill to make cool-looking artwork, which is unfortunate.

Will be working in Unity , since I don't know UT4, and feel very comfortable in Unity
>>
>>548566
Also, I have no life )
>>
>>548562
what does tech artist mainly do?
>>
>>548570
debug
>>
>>548566
ignore the idiots. sounding like you are head on shoulders guy. not many people have the balls to put together a team and communicate.

and another word of advice, every tool has positives and negatives. don't be offput from one tool because something someone said. be open minded for people that want to improve as well.
>>
>>548511
Where do you live senpai?
>>
>>548570
They develop tools that facilitate the work of artists, most commonly custom rigs or material functions. There also assist in any area that involves an intersection of art and programming.

>Shader development
>Procedural asset generation
>Real-time animation blending

The best tech artists are good at both art and programming, but most get by just knowing programming and communicating with their artist often.
>>
>>548572
>>548576
Thanks!
>>
>>548565
Can't give an exact figure. It generally depends on how much experience the musician/VA has. You could try offering a flat rate for tracks/lines and see who bids on it.
>>
>>548573
Florida
>>
>>548507
What happened to your website, Igor?
>>
>>548649
I cba maintaining it. Working on a game right now, which requires a website in its own, so I will work on the new one instead :)

You will hear about it in the future
>>
>>548695
this isnt fucking promo land. go shill somewhere else
>>
File: triggered.png (2MB, 1063x1143px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
2MB, 1063x1143px
>>548696
>>
>>548696
We'd like to see your projects too if you had any.
>>
>>548514
I'm staying there next year
>>
>>549057
It's a good place to be in
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.