[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

environment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: test 1.png (486KB, 1019x529px) Image search: [Google]
test 1.png
486KB, 1019x529px
Making a test blockout for a new environment.

Are the shapes interesting enough?

Also general environment thread, I guess.
>>
try to only have one big structure
(like the top pipe on each side)

But focus on that one and make it interesting.

Then while mirroring is very helpfull as a tool, it tends to be to obvious and disruptive in corridors.

Your flooring stands out a bit much.
Meaning it's a solid plane in a paneled environment and it's edges don't realy fit into the corridor.

Now you can have floor tiles that are build ontop of the "real" corridor but you have to make it look like it was done on purpose.
>>
Reminds me of Star Trek TOS engineering
>>
>>546594
Shapes are good but you need to add some more geometry on the floor.
>>
File: 20160905205748_1.jpg (477KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160905205748_1.jpg
477KB, 1920x1200px
I've been meaning to create something like that, like maybe a mock-up for a futuristic racing game type thing.
Saved a few screenshots from warframe i thought might be a useful reference that might be useful to you.
>>
>>546704
there is alot of factors here that you arent taking into consideration.
for example, there are lots of baked objects here which will be the majority of your work. you seem to have started with lowpoly geometry and you will have to compensate with really good texturing.
secondly, to create an envrionment like that you would have to create a library of objects then place them like a puzzle, you don't block the entire thing straight away even tho it seems like the right thing to do.
third, its a realtime environment so it has that "look" your if you are planning on rendering your environment make sure to plan where the perspective and the lights are going to be.
>>
>>546721
cont. im doing the same thing myself and i find it to be alot harder than i initially thought.
as an environment artist you will only have certain duties to each part of the environment. as a portfolio piece you will have to do all the work which is not very realistic but at this point you will need to dedicate lots of time to planning which will be 50% of your work.
>>
>>546594
Asymmetry is a cheap way to make things interesting, leave only the big tube on the left and the two small tubes on the right.
Also, start using greebles and baked details, once you start it becomes fun as fuck and saves you some work for the next time.
Approach to the scene as if you were really going to build it IRL: where would te tubes attach to? How much light is there going to be? How are the walls tied to the ceiling/floor?
>>
>>546594
>>546704

Try basing it in part on shit that occurs in real life. Ridley Scott dismantled an old bomber airplane and turned it inside out to make the set for his Alien movie, to great effect.
>>
>>546594
wow another corridor?
>>
>>546894
He's a hack that literally makes the same movie over and over. Hav you even seen the new trailelr? God awful
>>
>>546594
>Are the shapes interesting enough?
nope, you could have some support structures coming off the walls
you also try making either side a bit different by changing the type or placement of the piping
maybe add an end piece for the corridor, maybe it bulks up when it connect to the main corridor or maybe it becomes rounded or beveled, tho if you are not going to show that end piece in any renders/walkabouts don't spend much time in it
maybe the ceiling could have parts were it becomes lower or higher (vents, piping perpendicular to the corridor, etc.)
has the community at polycount done something bad to you? actual artists post there and give critique for free if you don't behave like an ass
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.