[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you find entry-level positions? Almost none of the 3D

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

How do you find entry-level positions? Almost none of the 3D jobs I'm seeing on online lists are for straight out of college students
>>
no such thing as entry level position in 3D
>>
File: 1463152422712_1.jpg (32KB, 267x274px) Image search: [Google]
1463152422712_1.jpg
32KB, 267x274px
Bro idfk, it's been 4 months since I've graduated, and I still haven't picked up a job in animation
>>
>>545988
yeah i am looking at job listings and its mostly 5+ years of experience in the industry

..hmmm
>>
>>545988

>going to art school

you know employers AUTOMATICALLY hate you, right? like they actually HATE art school students?
>>
>>546013
I graduated from art school and got into an entry level position pretty quickly.

Most jobs in this industry are not posted online. You have to just network for job offers.
>>
>>546013
autistic af
>>
>>546015
Yeah I'm planning to drop in at some offices after the holidays finish up. Hopefully something will drop my way after building a few bridges
>>
>>546015
>Most jobs in this industry are not posted online. You have to just network for job offers.

are you from the 1950's?
>>
just apply for them anyway. How long you've been out of school doesn't really matter in the art industry. Just how fast you can work and how good your work is.

though good luck my friendo. Getting a job in 3d is pretty tough if you aren't in a big city and you don't actually know a head at a studio.

only reason i managed to get my job as an animator was the head of animation at a studio liked my reel at my colleges industry night.
>>
>>546114
post your reel
>>
>>546114
neoptism is so hard here i found a reel of some guy posting 6 months worth of work (at best) and he is now teaching at local art institute.
the guy can't even texture or shade, he just does everything matte. half of his portfolio is below acceptable. the rest of borderline.
not saying there are plenty of worthwhile people to get a job anywhere, but certainly not him.
>>
>>545984
- Knowing people not only gives you some nepotism points, it also lets you know when a studio might be more willing to hire.
- Be on linkedin and search for recruiters, you can even message them directly. Don't only apply when you see a job listing online, by then a lot of people in the industry probably already know that studio is hiring or have been interviewing. You must be proactive.

>>546008
"5+ years experience" etc on job listings is probably just to deter people from applying who aren't ready to hit the ground running

->>545988
- Despite networking advantage being a thing, if you've been applying a lot and having even gotten interest in four months this simply means you're not good enough to be hired. So get better.

>>546013
- I'd say a very large percentage of people I've met dislike art school, but this doesn't mean they dislike the students themselves lol.

>>546125
- teaching is a separate thing because schools have very shit standards. With higher standards like at an animation studio you wouldn't likely get recommended if your work is super bad, since it will reflect badly on your contact. I'd say you can have work that is about par but have a collaborative attitude + network really hard and get work though, I've seen it.
>>
>>546127
iv seen people both at institutes and studious and work that barely passes the level of a student that came out of college.
what i mean is people that still use specular workflow for everything. and slap global illumination on every scene they make
>>
>>546078
I work at an AAA game studio and 90% of our art hires are not posted online. People are keen to refer people for a position before we even need to advertise on a website. Those referrals can vary from students who've had our employees as mentors or just coworkers from past projects.
>>
Is it even worth studying this shit if im halfway through college and havent picked a major yet? This seems like something I would like, but I have no experience in it. Should I even bother trying at this point?
>>
>>546150

a lot of it is just about getting good enough to be noticed and then you have to pretty much be lucky enough and meet the right people. if that doesn't make you think twice then go ahead.
>>
Entry level doesn't exist.

If you don't have a job after leaving """"college""" just kill yourself or work at mcdonalds.
>>
>>546192
>cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck
>>
>>546192
99% of graduates are not ready for the industry from what iv seen.

colleges didn't transition to PBR and other workflows yet (aside from the major ones).some even still use lightwave and sketchup
college is only worth it for the 2D and photography lessons you get
>>
>>546195
can confirm, in college and currently learning diffuse/specular maps lol
>>
>>546195
college is a lot about simply earning a degree and getting a chance to be associated with a particular class of people.. its a lot more complicated than just learning about your specialization

there are a lot of roadblocks for people without degrees, ive seen my friends go through that
>>
>>546211
meh. if you don't care about the quality of your produce and let your friends on a payroll then you are not doing any good for your studio.
not saying associates are not good employees, but more often then not it just hurt your business
>>
What am I supposed to do if no colleges around me offer a degree in this? What would the degree even be called? Am I better off going for something else, and learning this on the side?
>>
>>546231
in general you don't want to become an artist. do some major that involves solidworks/cad you will have 90% chance finding a job right off college and it also involves 3D in some sense
>>
>>546234
Understandable. What degree or major would that be under though? Engineering?
>>
>>546235
Drafting Technology i think
>>
>>546238
That's not really a good idea, though, is it? Picking a major based on finding a job instead of doing something you want to do? Something to consider, though. Has anyone ever branched off from a CAD degree or job with interior design shit and snagged a job in something more artsy? I don't know if i'd be fine with relegating myself to simply designing interiors and buildings for the rest of my life
>>
>>546240
what i know from experience schools are churning out artists at a scary rate and the market is oversaturated. and with things like unity store and chofur its not profitable to be an artist like it used to.
not alot of people know about drafting technology and that's a good thing as something that wants to have job oppretunity.
take my advice and grab some essentials course from lynda (solidworks) and see if you like it. if you aren't feeling it then move on.
i know that rhino+vray courses are better than literal art degrees and it involves art, and it have better job outlook
>>
>>546240
that's architectural engineering, and its not the same as drafting technology.
>>
>>546242
What can you expect to do with a degree in drafting technology then?
>>
>>546243
the remote control for your TV, bottles,bicycle parts,shelves for refrigeration. the possibilities are endless.
its modeling but with scale with accuracy that 3D programs can't achieve, then a machine chops down a block of plastic with your draft which can be 2D fed as well
>>
>>546127
Hear hear
>>
>>546240
Well, it's worth trying out some of the options first that aren't oversaturated, and I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who works in animation. Because if you end up liking it you'll have a much better time. But if you literally can't stand doing 3D besides in an industry/discipline that isn't as profitable, then you need to weigh your passions against profit and make that decision for yourself. However it's my opinion that ff you're good enough then it doesn't matter if the market is saturated, you should be fine regardless. Plus, it's not like you can't change paths later. Life is long.

>>546150
You should try it and wait to see if you actually like it, and then see if you are willing to turn that into a career because it's pretty risky.
>>
bruh does anyone on here have a job
>>
>make shit game
>put it on steam for fifty cents
>make threads on /v/ and other videogame forums with userbases of IQ lower than 100 about how you found out about this amazing indie game
>spend half your money on resources to make a better game to sell more
>repeat
>>
>>545984
>How do you find entry-level positions?
Didn't you find one whilst DOING your undergrad?
>>
>>546478
nigga i was trying to not fail
>>
>>546421
yeah..
>>
>>546729
nigger you know an art degree means nothing, right?
>>
>>546732
its called having a bachelors
>>
>>546737
a bachelors means nothing, too, nigga!
>>
>>546740
damn nigga
>>
>>546737 is right >>546737.
Funnily enough, the Fine Arts are probably the last bastion of Skill over Paper.
I've seen people come out of four years and many tens of thousands in debt who couldn't even use basic construction. Who had to use lines for EVERYTHING.
Do not go to Art school for ANYTHING unless you can already basically draw AT THE LEAST. In fact I'd recommend not going until you have an acceptable portfolio in various medium/media + some REAL commission works + social media presence + busked.
Those alone will teach you more FOR FREE then any degree.
Once you've done that, and assuming you're making at least beer-money with your art (since it's the only arbitrary meytric of success we can use) the go to a good school with an entrance exam, and USE EVERY FUCKING DAY NETWORKING AND THEIR HIGH END EQUIPMENT!
Otherwise sorry bro, your piece of paper is a piece of shit.
>>
>>546786
>high end equipment
nigger what
>>
>>546791
Pencils with neon lights on them.
>>
>>546139
>I work at an AAA game studio and 90% of our art hires are not posted online.

I have not worked at a AAA studio, but this is consistent with what I hear from friends that went into that field. Why on earth would they post online and have to deal with hundreds if not thousands of submissions when they can get the right sort of talent by more direct means.
>>
>>546935
>Why on earth would they post online and have to deal with hundreds if not thousands of submissions when they can get the right sort of talent by more direct means.

because up and coming talent have alot more to prove and they usually don't come with wage negotiations right off the bat
>>
>>546936
That wasn't a question, and those aren't compelling reasons when you can get a known quantity at the going rate.
>>
>>546127
>Despite networking advantage being a thing, if you've been applying a lot and having even gotten interest in four months this simply means you're not good enough to be hired. So get better.

4 months isn't enough time to make that judgment, given that turnover rates can be several months long, depending.

If he's not getting any interest, this could also point to a portfolio problem where the work is fine, it's just not being packaged in a recruitment friendly way. That's a skill all by itself, and not a reflection of an artist's ability to do the job.

And it could be that he's just not skilled enough, or any of the above.

>Don't only apply when you see a job listing online

This is very good advice. I know people who've gotten calls 8 months after applying. Obviously, that job never needed to be listed in the first place.

If they'd waited for a job listing to apply, they might never have gotten hired. That job listing might never come, that doesn't mean they aren't hiring.
>>
>>547077
I second this, 4 months isn't enough. I applied/emailed to about 70 studios right outta college till i got a 3d generalist job working on marvel/disney movies. I was also rejected from local crap advertising studios in that timeframe.

Sometimes it's just about getting the right people to see your stuff
>>
File: tumblr_ogfml0Vn3s1ql31zxo2_1280.gif (533KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogfml0Vn3s1ql31zxo2_1280.gif
533KB, 640x360px
I sent in my first job application at a bigger studio two weeks ago, with absolutely no prior work experience - I'd been staking them out for a while, and panicked and sent them a mail when they suddenly opened a job listing on ArtStation - and got hired immediately after my art test last week - started this monday as a trainee.

I'm not sure why I'm sharing this here, I'm just so fucking stoked and everything is amazing and life is so fucking great

We're all gonna make it brehs!
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.