[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scanning sculptures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

File: 1Xbox-360-Kinect-Sthandalone.png (2MB, 3820x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1Xbox-360-Kinect-Sthandalone.png
2MB, 3820x1320px
So as a hobby I started making my own game.

For my 3D Models I want to sculpt them out of clay and then scan them.

I am currently thinking about getting a kinect ( which could also do motion tracking).

But from what I have gathered the resolution for my 3D Models would be horrible with kinect.

Has anyone any experience with scanning small objects?

Can anyone recommend me a good and preferably cheap way to scan sculptures?

I'd like to use Clay as I'm fairly good with that and way faster then sculpting anything on Pc.
>>
I like the idea of actually sculping the models irl.

Dunno bout scanning, you could try 123D catch, a free autodesk app that seems allright. Let's you download the scan as .obj or .stl and includes textures as well
>>
>>545029

The thing is, I dont need that highly detailed Models. I am aiming for a cel shaded look.

Pretty similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH61guAmB5k&index

The programs you showed actually look pretty good. Textures would not be important for my cel shading look. Just the basic colors.
>>
>>545030
Then you should just give the app a try, it's free so you got nothing to lose.
Let us know how it turns out
>>
>>545028

▲▲
>>
>>545028

Good luck, Once you overcome the hurdle of rl to digital conversion of your work the way you work may end up being better overall than full digital.
You'll stay sane longer at least.
>>
I was even able to do this by adding little stickers to a clay model and using 123d catch.
>>
File: kinpho_compar_v3.png (439KB, 674x934px) Image search: [Google]
kinpho_compar_v3.png
439KB, 674x934px
Don't get a Kinect. They're shit tier for even the simplest things.
I say this from experience. I sold my 360 about two years ago after it red ringed, but I kept the Kinect and ordered a usb adapter for it.
The models looked pretty cool, since they were my first ever, but they were actually complete and utter shit - it usually outputted 3 million polygons for a model that has the same resolution as one with 500 polygons.
The only thing that the Kinect is ever going to be good at is being a high resolution microphone (though, sadly, almost nobody uses it for that purpose) and motion tracking for indie games.

If you really want good scans for real cheap, go with photogrammetry. Lots of tutorials, free software if you don't want to pirate (though the really good stuff, like Agisoft Photoscan, is paid and can be easily pirated), can be done with any shitty old camera you have (even the one on your phone!).

If you don't believe me, here's a pic of a model done in KScan3D with my Kinect...
>>
File: 4k.png (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
4k.png
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>545136
...compared to a model made with my phone in Photoscan.
>>
File: david-sls3.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
david-sls3.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>545137

Indeed, Kinect is seriously shitty for scanning, and so ar emost sub-1000$ scanners. Stereophotogrammetry software like Photoscan does a much better job, though the professional version is more than 3000 bucks.

David-laserscanner's systems offer the best price-to-performance ratio that i've seen, but they're still expensive (more than 3000 bucks again). They're owned by HP now...
>>
File: 3.jpg (258KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
258KB, 1600x1066px
Op here
So I wanted to give you guys some updates if you are interested.

I took 123d catch to "scan" in some Models. But I noticed if the clay models were to detailed the mesh would look weird. So I am now splitting each model bodypart into one claysculture and then scan the parts. Then I put them together using blender. then just some smooth brush and done.
I will have to tinker with the program, the camera or the lighting a little bit more on order to achive better detail.

I also only sculpt half the of my model in rl and then just add a mirror modifier.

The Kinect will be used for Mocap. I have already set it up and it works very good. Will Post some Pictures.

Haven't used any brushes on pic related.
>>
File: 1.jpg (96KB, 1600x358px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
96KB, 1600x358px
>>546001
Here a picture of what the mocap looks like.
>>
File: 2.jpg (266KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
266KB, 1600x1066px
>>546001
So this head took me about 1 hour to create from taking the pictures to adding the jaw to the head.
>>
File: 4.jpg (272KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
272KB, 1600x1066px
>>546003
Will post more updates if anyone is interested.

I'll go on and make lighting. Does someone know how to creat a cel or toon shading look in unreal engine? Or maybe in blender so that I can import it to unreal?
>>
>>546001
>>546003
>>546004

wow that's pretty fucking impressive. i've been thinking about doing the same thing but too lazy to give it a try. thanks for making that clear for me anon.
>>
File: PhotoScan_logo_Scaled-2.jpg (36KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoScan_logo_Scaled-2.jpg
36KB, 550x500px
Bro use Agisoft photoscan
>>
>>546004
Looks very interesting! Low-fi but full of character. I could see this growing into an indie fad.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.