[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wanting to get myself a 3D printer. Pic related is the model

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 9495907368990.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
9495907368990.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
Wanting to get myself a 3D printer.

Pic related is the model I'm thinking of buying, the FlashForge Finder.
Able to print 140x140x140 mm, which seems decent for me since I mostly plan on printing smallish figurines for use in D&D and such.

Anyone know if that printer is good enough for what I plan to use it for, or should i save up a little more money and buy something bigger??
>>
How small are those figurines?
I don't think fdm printing is accurate enough for the details desu

Anyways, for small stuff like that why not buy one of those DIY kits from China for 150 bucks?
>>
>>544728

Just FYI OP, this board is super slow, and while there are occasionally threads on 3d printing, you'll probably have a lot more and faster feedback from the >>/DIY/ board

Also, pretty much regardless of what printer you buy, you're going to need to hand tweak them a little (like you'd do with tabletop figure kits) and acetone vapor polish the figures if you want them to look super smooth and nice
>>
>>544739
They don't have to be super detailed, just enough so you can actually see what it's supposed to be.
Taking something like this for example thingiverse.com/thing:945822 and scaling it to around 6-7 cm in height.
That said this printer is according to the site I'm buying from, able to do layers of 0,05 mm, which i thought sounded pretty detailed.

>>544758
I don't mind doing some tweaking on the figures, I was already expecting I'd have to based on what I've read about the filament this printer is using.

But based on the price and selection available to me (Living in a small town in Norway) this seems like the best option.
>>
>>544778
The problem is not so much the detail itself but where it is. Especially with small intricate details like those staffs in your link, there will probably be a lot of problems because you will probably need support material, the details might be too small and flimsy and break easily, etc.
It could work if the things are supposed to be 6-7cm tho.

That being said, the printer looks good for that price, and 3d printers and the skill to use them can be very useful outside of making little figurines or gimmicks. Especially if you know how to make basic 3d models and how you get them to be closed meshes /polysurfaces.

For example, I used my 3d printer to print a custom filter for my dishwasher, a bunch of rings to hold up my shower curtain, a couple of feet for a custom build laptop case as well as a couple of stands glued inside the case where the laptop fits on perfectly, a whole bunch of Christmas presents, a small train an autistic boy asked me to print, and of course a whole array of stairs, facade elements and buildings (I'm an architect).

It's def a nice skill to develop and a cool hobby especially if it gets you to learn some modeling. I'd say do it, can't really go wrong at that price even if your figurines turn out more difficult to print than expected.
Tho if it's solely for the figurines it might be cheaper to just buy them.
>>
Save yourself the headache and just send your models to be primted by a professional company like shapeways.

It's far easier, cheaper, they have a variety of amazing materials, and they have much better printers than you ever could afford.
>>
OP here, thanks for the replies, I'm going to buy it.

>>544787
It'll start with the figurines, but it'll definitely develop into other things.
>>
>>544728

With no heated bed you might have some trouble getting the first layer to stick after the surface (which looks like Buildtak) starts wearing out. Flashforge doesn't seem to have any actual specs on their website either, so it's hard to say if the firmware on the machine is any good or what kind of gcode it accepts.

I'd personally go for a Prusa i3 MK2 (www.prusa3d.com) which has pretty much everything you'd need, though it's more expensive.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.