[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"3DCG was a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki https://www

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 1481416146364.jpg (193KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481416146364.jpg
193KB, 1600x900px
"3DCG was a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfxlgHBaxEU
>>
Fuck.
All memes aside right now,
I just realized that one day in the near future technology will probably advance far enough that 3D animators will no longer exist.

We already have mocap, but it usually spits out gross looking shit that needs to be cleaned up.
But if the technology gets too good, to the point where AI generated stuff is identical to hand-made stuff, that entire field of the industry will be completely gone.

I could easily see this being applied to every part of 3D as well.
Everything will become so tool-assisted and automated, that you have to do increasingly more as an individual, until it's completely automated and your job no longer exists.

What the fuck is going on anymore. I'm learning a skill that's going to be obsolete in 20 years.
Fuck me.
>>
>>544055
I don't believe you're correct. Mocap may advance to the point where mocap cleanup no longer exists, but it isn't going to kill character animation, especially cartoon animation that operates based on principles not fully reflected through motion capture unless you do a lot of edits... you're not going to automate cloudy with a chance of meatballs style. Plus many stunts that you cannot mocap are still going to make sense to hand key, not to mention things like flying creatures etc, even with an anim library or ai generated base, you're sure no matter the situation, no matter the shot, something automated could give you exactly what the director wants? It would be great technology but it's stupid to fear advances like this, you just need to work on your craft and be willing to adapt.

Even with a field like lookdev/texture the existence of stuff like megascans or better photoscanning technology doesn't mean the job no longer exists. Things still have to be fine tuned and changed for the needs of the project, and even if photoscanning were perfect, what happens when you need to create something more fictional? Sure, maybe if photoscanning were better there would be less labor intensive work required to create fantasy surfaces even, maybe you would combine parts of different libraries and it would automatically blend them... but that doesn't mean the work itself would go away. We have megascans at work, yet I still do texturing.
>>
>>544054
Why did they show it to him?
With all my respect, Miyazaki is old and definitely not high tech kind of guy, he's more like Tolkien. He's traditional old man who don't like technology, so why they even wanted to show it to him?
Totally missed target audience.
>>
>>544054
> "could be applied to zombie video games", they said
Yeah, right. Hayao Miyazaki is well known with his zombie survival horror games, genius!
Maybe they did good job. But world will remember them as guys who made Miyazaki sad.
>>
I wish some anon would make me a 3D house so I can print it out and live there, since I'm a hobo.
>>
well this
>>544058
>>544059

Miyazaki is getting old and bitter and is not familiar with 3dcg. also i think if he talks about "this technique" he refers to the idea of zombies since he cant imagine whats possible with 3D.
thats where these guys completely failed to reach out to miyazaki showing him this garbage.
Also I'm pretty sure Studio Ghibli used 3D in their animation series of Sanzoku no Musume Ronja
>>
>>544060
ik that probably you're just kidding but there's already some projects for building fast and cheap houses on emergency situations one with two rooms i think they said costs around $70 and you could assemble it within 10 mins
>>
>>544061
yeah, of all the applications of their tech to show miyazaki, why a creepy zombie lol
>>
>>544061
>Also I'm pretty sure Studio Ghibli used 3D in their animation series of Sanzoku no Musume Ronja

More than that, they allowed their art to be used it that crappy No Kuni (or whatever it was called) RPG game for PS3.
>>
>>544055
this applies to pretty much every industry, not just animation. just enjoy the ride and hope universal income gets implemented rather than mass disposal of us obsolete fleshbags
>>
>>544054
>insult to life itself
fucking kek
>>
>>544083
>crappy
fuck off
>>
>>544054
That is a fucking insult to everything.
>Look it's using it's head as a leg,
fuck thats bad
>>
For those who think he over-reacted, I think Miyazaki is talking about how lifeless animation could become because of this AI method (you'd need to teach human emotions to the AI, and even then it wouldn't be enough) and how talented animators could potentially lose their jobs to machines.

I mean, if you're fine with all industries being automated, okay. But I definitely get from where Miyazaki comes from. Try making traditional animation your whole life, then watch as a robot takes your place, and you're fucked. It's obvious why he reacted like this.
>>
>>544221
I bet he would have reacted differently if someone would have shown him this clip instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgaEE27nsQw
>>
>>544225
He definitely would have reacted more nicely.

But after seeing his films, I think he still would have rejected the presentation. He has quite strong opinions about the relationship between humans and nature. Seeing things being automated, especially animation, is obviously going to trigger him.
>>
File: fool1.jpg (230KB, 1170x864px) Image search: [Google]
fool1.jpg
230KB, 1170x864px
It's a demo of artificial intelligence and deep learning, applied to 3d animation.

It has nothing to do with 3d being bad medium, you fools.
>>
>>544054

Oh man, what an uncomfortable situation... Dude at 1:32 was crying, i feel bad for him. This isn't about 3DCG at all, some company was just proud of the artificial intelligence model they made and wanted to show it off. Miyazaki didn't like it, since it reminded him of a friend with a disability - understandable.

But, since he's an animation bigshot, that one opinion alone carries great heft and makes it out like these people's entire work is garbage. All the joy is suddenly sucked out of this room. Next time they will think twice before attempting to use AI for animation, and so a new idea is extinguished. Shame.
>>
There's been 3DCG even in spirited away though, doesn't really have much to do with that
>>
File: shamefurdispray2.jpg (158KB, 319x480px) Image search: [Google]
shamefurdispray2.jpg
158KB, 319x480px
>>544054
S E P U K U
E
P
U
K
U
>>
>>544221
Before the last part, the presenters specifically said it was never meant to be lifelike; they admitted it looks shitty and uncanny because it's done by a computer and it would be useful for animating zombies at best. Though it should be easy to see the benefits of automation in this context at least: it looks clumsy, unpredictable and can be generated on the fly. They just made a mistake of not showing this to someone who works in video games who would actually have an idea what the fuck's going on and doesn't have a vegetable friend that looks like the model.

I hear paranoid artists say this "we could be losing our job" nonsense a lot and I wonder how they feel about all the other 10 million (actually existing) humans better than they are. You're not going to become obsolete just because something better than you exists.
>>
>>544054
>Well, we would like to build a machine that can draw pictures like humans do.
Did they actually think this was a good idea to say or did they deliberately try to verbally slap him in the face?
>>
>>544249
Even then the dude presenting the technology was talking like it was a living thing and they're controlling it instead of talking about technological aspects. If he said, for example, "We have an AI that can learn and automate life-like movements, using repeated simulations and deep-learning to do etc." it would present the technology as something that would help in its own way.

Instead, he said "The AI has no concept of self-preservation and using its head to move" which is both unnecessary and presents the tech in a bad way. No doubt a guy like Miyazaki would react to that.
>>
I think miyazaki was viewing the demonstration from a bit too human standpoint.

Take his example of his disabled friend. For him it's not just a matter of translating his friends movements onto a screen. Which could be done fairly simple. It's about the human struggle behind those motions.

The emotional struggle and the mentality behind why someone tries to do what he does. Which is what he's spent his life doing. Not only animating, but capturing the so called "ghost" of a person. To make it seem as a simple 2D-rendering has a purpose and drive. To give it a personality. A future, a past, hopes, ideas, dreams which explains its motivation and drive. Not unlike a good writer and his characters.

Which is probably why he reacted as he did. He couldn't disassociate himself from the pure mechanical equations the 3D-model was using to propel itself forward and instead saw it as a representation of life being tarnished by moving unnatural and wrong. Not that far from using a simple corpse as a puppet.

I'd compare it to demonstrations were you introduce electrical currents to frog legs. Some view it as a demonstration of how electrical current can make muscles contract. Others see it as being an unnatural abuse of a frog.
>>
>>544225

Is this something we can use as regular users? I would love for some of my creatures to have a natural walk.
>>
>>544061
Hell, there even was some CG in Princess Mononoke, which Hayao Miyazaki directed himself.
I don't think he's completely unaware of it.
>>
>>544754
THEY USE A SCRIPTABLE + AUTOMATABLE PROGRAM AT GHIBLI HE"S A FUCKING HYPOCRITE
>>
>>544055
Really? whos gonna animate non realistic stuff, whichis like 90% of the animation industry? "AI"?
>>
Calling miazaki to show an animating ai is like calling gandhi and showing the new street fighter game. The guy is a hardcore traditionalist, we cant expect him to appreciate something that is purely logic and technical. Right thing for the wrong person.
>>
>>544054

I love his work but he's a bit of a dramatic, pretentious fuck.
>>
>>544054
They showed to a guy known for drawing sensitive stuff full of flowers and butterflies an animation of basically some ragdoll physics dragged by some spore-like procedural algorithms telling him "this will take your job". WTF did they expect?
>>
>>544602
Seconding.
>>
Not a fan of Miyazaki's work DESU. It's quite pretty, but in a pretentious, overdone sort of way where you're looking at a ton of money dancing on the screen but aren't really invested in what's going on. Most often things don't make sense and it's becomes exhausting to try to figure out what all the metaphors mean all the time.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.