[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What grinds your gears?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (18KB, 441x334px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18KB, 441x334px
What upsets you in 3d?
For me is people that sucks dicks of another artist.
Theres a group where you post your 3d works, and theres some nice artist there. But the thing is, when someone post some nice 3d model, well made and polished, it getd like 40 - 50 likes, and comments like "cool", "oh nice"," well done".
And for some unknown reason, theres that guy who posts mid tier 3D models, and gets 140 likes, and people comment "WOOOW, AMAZINNG", "PERFECT MODEL MAAAN"

Wtf? Its like.... what?

By the way this isnt my story, but i see shit like this happens a lot in the 3d community, and it grinds my gear
>>
the reason for this is simple.

beginners can't see the effort put it in each and every model.
so everyone will suck the dick of the guy that made a robot arm full of unnecessary shit and is poorly excused instead of the photorealistic knife with perfect texturing.
>>
>>543802
also one time i was posting in a very circlejerky community. the admin's hided my threads and deleted my account some time after.

they have like 6 admins on the site which makes up the majority of the posts. they also let total noobs get in the site gallery
>>
>>543801
Bad topology really grinds my gears.
>>
>>543801
CAD/CAE Feels

1. When the dwg can't be edited in another application.
2. Someone renames the original part file.
3. Pointless fillets and chamfers
4. Can't tell if the simulation is temporarily stuck or it crashed a few hours back.
5. Simplified threads in all projections except the axiometric ones
>>
>>543801
People who actually think adding more subdivisions ans samples makes a better artwork.
(or just the people who make shit typology and then subsurf/subdiv) or are shit at lighting and composition but have to render at thousands of samples
>>
>>543801
>Anyone who ask you for advice and don't follow it
>Anyone who refuse to watch tutorials
>Anyone who try to get you to do free work
>Anyone who don't pay you the whole amount for your work
>Anyone who tell you can find someone else for cheaper
>Anyone who don't know what they want
>Anyone with the name Greg
>Any Greg that you finish a project for, that says he forgot to sent you an email saying he canceled the project.
>Any Greg that won't pay despite it being literally contracted work
>Any Greg that threatens to sue you if you call him again
>Any Greg that you have to sue in small claims court
>Any Greg...

Fuck you Greg
>>
>>543891
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what did you do for him?

You at least could sell whatever it was to someone else, right?
>>
Cinema 4d user who are also Apple fanboys.

Blenderfaqs who think Blender is the BEST.

Open Source fanatics who would never use ANY proprietary software because of morals &ethics.

Software fascist who insist that if you want to do x you have to use software y AND NOTHING ELSE.

But the worst:
Dumb clients.
Dellusional & Demanding clients who are also dumb.
People who try to rip you off.

Dumb people who don't know shit, but think they know it all.
>>
>>543891

Lmao
>>
>>543896
>Software fascist who insist that if you want to do x you have to use software y AND NOTHING ELSE.
That's especially rough when you're new and don't know shit. Because it feels like you're required to learn at least ten billion programs, which all do basically everything, but one thing really well.
>>
>>543891
Go fuck yourself anon
T. A Greg
>>
>>543896
>Open Source fanatics who would never use ANY proprietary software because of morals &ethics.

Morals and ethics is part of it, but I'd never recommend any proprietary software simply because it makes for a less useful program. If I can't alter it to fit my needs, fuck that shit. If I have to wait on some company to fix a bug or add a feature thats probably never going to be touched because its not profitable, doublefuck that shit. The simple fact is, more people working on a project usually means more features, fewer bugs, and better performance.
>>
>>545087
I've bought lots of software before. I bought Windows, MS Office, the Adobe Creative Suite, Maya 3D, Visual Studio, etc etc. Fortunately I had student discounts for most of these so they just cost a couple bucks each instead of hundreds/thousands, but even then I still felt cheated by most of these. In terms of usability and stability and features I actually use and support, all turned out to be inferior to their FOSS alternatives
>>
>>543801
likes and comments don't define the quality of subject nigga. and they probably just have more friends and are a likeable person, therefore his "mid tier" work is more likeable.
>>
>ppl who take 3d art too serious
>ppl who compare their own work with others. like fucking just have fun.
>>
>>545089
I bought windows 10. Best windows I ever bought. Now Im a poorfag.
>>
>>543801
Its because the people with less skill think that they can achieve the same results as the guy getting all those likes. The stuff that is out of their league kills them on the inside and they try to block it out.
>>
>>545094
>not taking your art seriously

not everyone want to sink in mediocrity
>>
>>543801
yeah most of /r/blender
>>
>ppl who bash blender with no legitimate reason

>ppl who get mad cause they're too impatient to learn

>ppl who have a no adaptation to appreciate styles different from their own.
>>
>>545094
never gonna make it
>>
>>545110
kek so?
>>
>>543802
>photorealistic knife with perfect texturing.
>drag on some base material in Substance Painter
>drag on some dirt
>drag on some edge wear
>drag on some finger print

wow so hard
>>
File: pikachu.png (96KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
pikachu.png
96KB, 300x279px
>showcasing your model in a t/etc pose rather than giving it an actual organic, life-like pose

there's no better way to make a figure look like shit
>>
>>543802
photorealism just isn't interesting, honestly. you're supposed to be an artist, not a camera; use your artistic and design skills to make your work interesting or nobody is going to care about your work because it'll be bland
>>
>>545123
your'e a 3D artist, not a concept artist. if you have ideas then fine. what matters is how you translate an image to a 3 dimensional object.

>>545117
well i only used a knife as an example, something that's easy to perfect.

my point is its better having an accurate knife then shitty fucking robo helmet on your portfolio
>>
File: modernartviewer.jpg (24KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
modernartviewer.jpg
24KB, 500x375px
>>543801

Welcome to Art, OP, where popularity is everything and skill doesn't matter.
>>
>>545130
yea if you're a child it is.
>>
>>545124
If it's easy to perfect why should anyone give a shit
>>
>>545160
It's not easy to perfect. The knowledge that goes into creating believable textures intelligently is what's hard to acquire, after that whether you choose to texture a knife or a space station is merely a matter of hours spent.

I think both you and >>545124 fail to understand or explain this.
>>
Art politics really pisses me off. I could stab anyone to death with a broken beer bottle over it. Just stop.

>you like it or you don't. now shut up.
>>
>>545160
>why would anyone give a shit

when you are doing a cool robot/character for someone to see he gets impressed and might hire you.
when its your employer he noticed every small error you make, he sees your UV maps, he sees your brush strokes, he sees your rendering,your light setup etc.
you are not some kind of genius for thinking outside the box, there are thousands of sci-fi concept artists out there. only a very few have the execution to pull it off.
if you can't conventionally make something good then you are just gonna end up looking like a clown when you try at more complex stuff

>>545164
its lazy jose that thinks realism is a few presents in substance
>>
File: 1460407862315.jpg (72KB, 531x471px) Image search: [Google]
1460407862315.jpg
72KB, 531x471px
>>543801
Okay now, u wanna know what really grinds my gears? When people Shit Talk people half finished or at beginner level then they are saying "I'm just being Blunt" or "from a Career in 3d".

>people talking condescendingly down towards others because they have "A more experience" or "B because I always know what Is best for you"

>>543801
I see that al0t but like most times I think it of it as people trying to motivate others to finish their work
>>
>>545320
you're the salty guy from the other thread aren't you

I don't like people talking shit based on subjective taste, but as long as objective, applicable advice is offered, I couldn't really give a shit whether they're being nice or humorously rude about it
>>
>>545320
What really grinds my gears is when people take critiques personally.

Don't use excuses like "I'm a beginner" to shield yourself from receiving critiques that you can only benefit from. Even if it's offensive to your wittle feewings. They're not saying you're shitty as a person, but it's your work that's shit. Get over it and improve......... Bitch.
>>
>>545087

bips tedora
>>
>>545326
If they can't take criticism, they are shitty persons.
>>
>>545326

if a person does shitty work, they're a shitty person.
>>
>Post work looking for critique
>Every beginner flocks to me sucking my dick and asking for a mentor.

>Looking for tool or specific brush to speed things up
>That one guy shows up and explains how its not about the tools.
>>
>>545123
>photorealism just isn't interesting
I've only ever heard this excuse from people lacking the skills to do photorealism in the first place.
>>
>>546081
upvote
>>
>>545917
>That one guy shows up and explains how its not about the tools
Every fucking time. I fucking hate that cunt.
Try telling a concept artist it's not about the tools and he should be able to work without their custom brushes and a tablet.
>>
>>543801
>Wtf? Its like.... what?

Several factors are at play here, and generally what's happening is: the first artist made a more technically excellent model but failed to make an interesting still image (poor composition).

Second, the people judging the work don't have the expertise or knowledge to actually be good judges (this is called the Dunning-Kreuger effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect), so they're only really able to respond on the subconscious level to the composition elements of the scene.

3/4ths or golden ratio doesn't just "look nice", it triggers some primal bullshit in human viewers brains. Along with a bunch of other survival instinct related shit regarding the perception of light, figures, motion, the importance of moving water, and so on.

TL;DR it's human nature.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.