[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SChols Australia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: cgs.jpg (29KB, 465x513px) Image search: [Google]
cgs.jpg
29KB, 465x513px
So I signed up with these guys for 2017.

Have I cucked myself?

>itt: General School and Studies experience thread
>>
post their showreel
>>
While I understand the need for a degree in anywhere but America, I still feel that most school for 3D are a waste of time and money. Most university offering a degree in this field often have inadequate staff who couldn't make it in the industry, bare bones software that's not up to industry standards, and garbage generalist curriculum that try force everyone to be the same. The most offensive is that these schools are often out of date on the modern techniques, leaving student woefully unprepared for what awaits them in 4 years. The thing you have to consider is that this is an industry that's barely 30 years old and is rapidly changing. The information and knowledge that was discovered and cultivated was all done so by forums and communities.

My advice? If you're really dedicated, save yourself some money, drop out of school, and study this stuff online. Break in to communities, find out what you like to do, and go full ham. I guarantee you'll learn more in a year than you would have in 4 at a sub par university and for just pennies on the dollar. Shoot, some of these industry leaders are giving this information away for chump change on Gumroads! The only catch is you have to be dedicated.

Experience: Someone who went to one of the worst schools, The Art Institute.
>>
>>543320
Jesus m8, I'm going to have to check OP in to the hospital's burns unit.
>rekt
>>
>>543681
Wasn't meant to be a burn. Just some honest advice from someone who wasted a shit load of money.
>>
>>543296
Schools are a scam. They'll only teach you how to be a useless baby that can't learn on its own.

Yeah, you cucked yourself, but don't let me convince you of that, you'll find out on your own.

Get contacts while you're at school, try to actually learn something and it might not have been a complete waste of time and money.
>>
>>543320
This my man, I learned more in a whole month of learning and researching on my own than a full 2 semesters at a college teaching me this stuff.

If you still want to go for it, make sure you are really putting in the extra time outside of assignments and doing your own projects for the sake of it.
>>
File: 1479451086664s.jpg (5KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
1479451086664s.jpg
5KB, 250x166px
>>543877
I think this is what I plan to do.

Honestly? I'm weak. I need the structured environment (or even just being on premise) to really focus. :(

I plan to:
- Netwerk, werk, werk... And just be the Chad I wasn't in hs.
- Read more deeply in to that days lessons, as well as instructors.
- Apply what I learn from assignments to personal projects THE SAME DAY.
- Work more diligently at my job to help mom.
- Make more contacts.

Thanks for the real talk anons.
>>
>>543320
What was your experience at the Art Institute like and what made it shit?
>Aifag reporting
>>
>>543879
Networking is important, make friends there, get friendly with the professors, ask them questions inside and outside of class, and make sure they know you are 110% an absolute madman on this and they'll reciprocate. Especially if you start as absolute garbage and through the years show the improvement.

Honestly just showing your interest and willing to put an honest effort in goes a long way with them having a good impression of you, I was never the best at 3D or even illustration or graphic design, but I always asked questions, took notes during lectures and so on, and they really like a student thats into it like that.
>>
>>543886
>you are 110% an absolute madman
I can't believe I did it.
>>
>>543884
It was just the combination of everything. The school was a fucking magnet for autism. Furfags, autist, and generally lazy fucks everywhere. Sure there were a few good people, 1 out of every 15, but they were few and far in between and it became painfully obvious that networking with your classmates wasn't going to lead to much in the later years of school. That said, I still share a beer with my fellow classmates who are still working, but they're only a handful.

The other issue was the lack of experienced teachers and a decent curriculum that wasn't tailored towards the soon to be tanking oil and gas industry. If you're not aware, the standard for cg in oil and gas is super low. They don't care what it looks like so long as is something decent. School thought it could boost its numbers by pipelineing students towards that kind of work. Problem is that oil is very unstable and steering kids to a local economy only doesn't actually prepare them for working in other parts of the cg industry. On top of this, you have teachers who essentially are graduates who couldn't make it in the field so they go right back into school as teachers, propagating the same mistakes they made.

The worst is the cost. For the amount of money, I could have gone to Yale or outright buy a house. It's so fucking expensive and yet where does the value come in? The only benefit I got was I met my bestfriend and I had a subscription to gnomon that I learned as much as I could from.

So yeah AI sucks, and I hope they all burn to the ground. Realistically, no one should need a degree in this field. Art, even 3d, is a skill that just takes time, commitment and a passion to want to get better.
>>
File: 1481059975555.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1481059975555.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
>>544026
So what non-suit schools are there in Burgerland?
I was thinking of maybe selling my body and soul to attend Goblien...
>>
>>544026
thanks for the insight
>>
>>544026
jesus
>>
>>544285
If you really must go to school, Gnomon and Digipen and pretty good as they have more direct ties to the games and film industry then your traditional university. Don't go to a state school. No one in the industry gives a shit about if you went to UT or OSU, and if they do, they probably have different priorities on quality of work and how they assemble their team.

SCAD is still kind of good, but their primary focus is on animation in both 2D and 3D, so if you want to be a modeler or VFX guy or work in advertisement/ archvis, probably not the best. Overall though they're still just schools and you'll only get what you put in to it. The big mistake people make is when they go to art school, pixie dust is sprinkled on you over 4 years that makes you totally awesome without any time or real work put in. Getting better is all on you and the amount of time you put in, so when considering a school you need to realistically look at the benefits they're providing: Equipment and Software provided, student discounts, library or database on the skills you need to learn, quality of instructors who can provide on the spot insight into what you're trying to achieve, and connections to studios. When you pay the fat price of a 4 year degree, that's realistically what you're spending money on. It's not learning, but the tools and opportunities provided to you.

That said, I still recommend just buy a bunch of tutorials from your favorite artist and learning off those. You'll get more direct industry related results as opposed to "sculpting a generic human head," or "make a ball bouncing animation." Plus it's more fun.
>>
>>545432
This guy knows what's up.
>>
>>543879

A chick that can carry drinks on her breasts....

Its about time females had some practical use!
>>
https://youtu.be/SfnB193DPTg

showreel of the most accredited animation college in the country
>>
>>545660
Damn, that's sad. A few things (mostly animations near the end) were nice but very little of that work seemed anything above barely passable.

The only english page I can find about that school claims it mostly comprises of evening classes and doesn't even offer a degree, though.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.