[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the catch, /3/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: wat.png (193KB, 1602x695px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
193KB, 1602x695px
What's the catch, /3/?
>>
File: wat2.png (124KB, 1524x969px) Image search: [Google]
wat2.png
124KB, 1524x969px
>>542967

ctd,

£2234...

1TB , 128GB RAM , 12 Core 2x XEON E5-2667 -2.90 GHz
Graphic NVIDIA Quadro 6000 6GB GDDR5.
2 x PS/2 keyboard and mouse; 2 x RJ-45 to integrated LAN; 2x Firewire 400; 2 x audio In; 2 x audio Out 2 x mic in; 9x usb ports; RS232.
Windows 10, WiFi Dongle, Keyboard, Mouse.
3 months warranty. One year warranty available.
>>
That... a fairly good price, right?
>>
>>542967

You wont be making anything that requires this. The bottleneck will be the hard drive anyway.
>>
>>542975

1. How the fuck do you know what I need.
2. That wasn't the question at hand.
3. Not sure if you're aware but a hard drive is what's known as a 'user replaceable component'.
>>
>>542975
not sure if trolling or just really stupid
>>
>>542986
OP, please consider buying 2x E2630v4 or 2670 v3 from ebay (~230 for one and shipping is free), a sueprmicro atx motherboard, ram and case, and save LOTSA money
http://www.techspot.com/review/1218-affordable-40-thread-xeon-monster-pc/
>>
>>542986
You never mentioned what you'd be using this for. By your own logic, this thread is fucking pointless and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>542995

Thanks for the tip - checking it out now.
>>
>>542995

Are you talking about engineering sample CPUs? I'm really not sure I want to go down that road desu.
>>
>>543011

The ES chips are so fucking cheap though it's unbelievable. You can have like, a combined 20 cores for the cost of a years subscription to Netflix.... Jesus.
>>
>>543011
why the fuck not faggot?
>>
>>543017

because i can't be bothered to fuck around checking if all the fucking features of the fucking things are working and present and i don't want to fucking buy a set of used fucking chips from fucking china and have them shipped halfway around the fucking world to find out they've got bent or damaged fucking pins that's why fucknuts
>>
>>542969
for a PC with a Xeon chip and Quadro... yes.
Normally Xeon chips are upwards of $800 and Quadros can be $2-3000
>>
>>543067

TWO xeon chips anon. Two 12 core xeons, 128gb RAM and a 6gb Quadro...

it's... a really good price... that's why I can't help but think something's wrong - unless it has been put together with those ES grade chips and the seller has chosen not to disclose this fact, which would explain that low price I guess...

thoughts? anyone?
>>
there's a consumer thread on /tech/, never let me down
>>
File: 1479688550363.jpg (130KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1479688550363.jpg
130KB, 640x1136px
>>542986
Every component is a user replaceable component
>>
>>542967
What is the power supply?
>>
>>543211
No idea. I would've guessed it would be whatever came in that HP model as standard, but...

I called up the company that sell these machines in London yesterday and they seemed pretty legit and asked a few questions...

Apparently they're heavily worked on when they get them so it's perhaps a bit disingenuous to refer to it as an 'HP Z820' because they apparently strip them and reconfigure them from the ground up.

He plainly stated that obviously these machines and parts are bought from big post-production companies in soho so they've definitely seen use.

I asked the dude straight up if they use ES chips and he flatly denied it and said they're 100% legit retail processors.
Claims they give everything very thorough stress-tests and yadda yadda...

12 month warranty on this thing is an extra £150... I don't know whether to take that as kind of a bad sign...
>>
>>542967
you don't need it, that's the catch you moron
>>
>>543213

Cunt.
>>
>>543212
So they're hella used parts?
I'd take the risk.
Chances are these things were running 100% all day every day for their entire lifetime, like a bitcoin mining rig.
That means less thermal cycling.
Now, whether being at high temps all day every day is worse than constantly thermally cycling is in dire need of a research paper, so if you believe that thermal cycling is worse than being on all the time, then go ahead and buy it.
>>
File: ztX3mMi.png (329KB, 400x468px) Image search: [Google]
ztX3mMi.png
329KB, 400x468px
>>543300

Interesting perspective here. I'd never considered thermal cycling as a wear-and-tear influence before...

Let me see if I understand what you mean because I'm kinda coming at this angle afresh;

Thermal cycling (repeated periods of working / heat followed by periods of downtime / cool) exacerbates normal wear to electronic componentry because - (and here's where I'm making assumptions) - the repeated swelling and shrinkage the components undergo during temperature shifts will inevitably result in a compromised structure of the materials they're made out of, at a molecular level. Right?

Hmmm.

>>Now, whether being at high temps all day every day is worse than constantly thermally cycling is in dire need of a research paper,

You're right. I'd be surprised if there's really been no proper analysis of these factors...
>>
File: stroker.gif (969KB, 360x478px) Image search: [Google]
stroker.gif
969KB, 360x478px
>>543300
>Chances are these things were running 100% all day every day for their entire lifetime, like a bitcoin mining rig.

99% likely they're from post-production studios in Soho - all those offices are super nice environments; spotlessly clean, and air conditioning running the whole time.

Also - it's highly unlikely they will have been used for rendering, at all; they all have in-house farms. So, while the machine may have been left powered on overnight, I don't reckon it was doing any work in that time....

[beard-stroking intensifies]
>>
Just buy ES chips, what is wrong with you? They are completely good chips, you will save a lot of money you fucking faggot
>>
>>543341

> you will save a lot of money you fucking faggot

Ok - go ahead and cost me up a machine with the specs of the eBay item up there and beat the price. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>542967
OP I recently bought a dual 2670 z620 with 64gb memory. Spent 999 usd for it and just slapped a hard drive in it. 16 physical cores. I use it for rendering in 3dsmax 2013. The only drawback is the power consumption, but it's so fast compared to my 6 core desktop. HP boxes are a good investment because parts are plentiful.

I am probably going to scratch build a new workstation around V3 or V4 ES parts next year though to gain some power efficiency.
>>
>>543345
>3dsmax 2013.
w-why?
>>
>>543359
I mean, not much has changed to be honest, other than the musical chairs feature Autodesk calls MassFX.
>>
>>543374
tons has changed dude. You're living in the past. Hell, I bet you get app crashes.
>>
>>543359
Because that's what I bought and use for everything and have not had the need to go subscription yet.
>>
>>543375
Nope, it's pretty stable. I also did some OS comparisons, and still working on 7 Pro x64 because it's rock solid and doesn't have the "features" of windows 8/10.

For the kind of work I do I don't really need any of the stuff that Autodesk has added over the past few years.
>>
>>543516
>"pretty stable"
>win 7

lmfao
>>
>>542967
if you don't know for sure that your workflow benefits from ECC memory and a Quadro graphics card chances are you don't and could even be the quadro could become a bottleneck or serve very little purpose
>>
>>542967
>>542968

>quadro 6000

>fermi

>2016
>fermi

That's.... a 6 year old card. Stupidly outdated.
>>
>quadro 6000
That runs hotter than the surface of sun.
>>
>>543518
hey look, retarded person using internet image board
>>
>>543518
what are you 12? 7 is probably the most stable.
>>
>>543683
ECC is not going to "benefit" OPs workflow, but it will ensure fewer memory errors. Many xeon boards can handle non-ECC just fine. Kindof a moor point when buying used hardware prebuilt.

>>544688
Yep, just slap a newer card in there. Even a cheaper gaming card.
>>
I've bought a similar refurbished workstation like this on eBay OP.
It's an HP Z620, very similar. Dual E5 2670s, I opted out of the graphics cards though because nobody needs Quadros so it was even cheaper.

Had it for about 6 months now, it's running great. Very stable, silent, not a single problem. Doesn't break a sweat at full load for hours and days. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on it, didn't even have to install any special drivers, everything works.

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble. If the mainboard breaks on one of these you're fucked because everything is proprietary on these things and good luck getting replacement parts without HPs warranty. Don't expect to change anything except for the PCI cards or Harddrives on these things either, HPs case layout is weird as fuck. Considering what I paid for it and the power I got that's more than fair though.

Also, lol at the guy who said you don't need this. If you do any kind of 3D work that includes rendering even half seriously you literally cannot have enough power. But some people on this board probably only render at 800x600 using Blinns and Lamberts. If this shit is your job then time is money, if I could afford it I'd have 10 of these things.
>>
>>542975
Came in /3/ after 5month break to see whats going on here. Same shit i guess. Nothing but noobs and trolls
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.