[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you make your own textures? Do you paint them yourself or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Rust.jpg (116KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Rust.jpg
116KB, 512x512px
Do you make your own textures? Do you paint them yourself or cut them from photos?
>>
That depends greatly on what I'm texturing. For realistic stuff, I use textures.com, stock photo sites and my own photography. I always do some retouching (painting, cloning, merging with other textures) before importing it, so it looks unique and/or fits my needs.
>>
Occasionally, I go on little trips specifically to take pictures of stuff. Don't go with anything in mind, just whatever has an interesting shape or texture.
Take about 7 GB worth of pictures and process them at home.
Usually, they're for photogrammetry and texturing, but sometimes I use them for reference shots or just keep them for when I might need, say, a specific kind of rock, a patch of asphalt close-up or a rough model of an information stand.
I love these sorts of trips, because they're always to nice places out in the open or with lots of cool scan-able objects and they're mostly on overcast days (lighting is more uniformly diffused and shadows are softer, contrast is much much better for texturing).
>>
>>543079
>I go on little trips specifically to take pictures of stuff.

wow, finally found someone who is more autistic about 3D than me
>>
>>543083
>implying a high level of autism isnt a requirement to be a 3d artist
>>
>>543083
Hey, it gets you out of the house at least.
>>
>>542874
I once made my own Hex camo and then it got stolen and put in COD Ghost as a DLC camo
>>
>>543842
prove it
>>
>>543083
how do you think scan based textures are made? you must be an autist to think the only way to make textures is procedural algorythms.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-10-31 14.13.36.png (1MB, 1809x1253px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-10-31 14.13.36.png
1MB, 1809x1253px
>>543844
Not the most convincing but if you where to download the PSD and remove one of the layers and change the colours of the others slightly the only difference in then some offset and a few Hexagons that have moved
>>
>>543844
Also I can't just get a lawyer where I live for something like this.
>>
>>544317
So basically
>if you make an entirely new texture that also uses hexagons and a similar color scheme, you get proof!
I'm calling bullshit.
Besides, it's not like a pattern of shapes is anything special.
>>
>>544317
are you this dense?
>>
>>544580
>>544579
No, There are a few parts of the pattern that are exactly the same shape, the hexagons have the same scale relationship, and off all the textures I've seen on the web (apart from mods that use my texture) are mostly completely different)
>>
>>545061
>and off all the textures I've seen on the web
Yeah well what about they make their own? Jesus christ you just made a god damn pattern, and not a very unique one at that.
>>
>>544317
You're right. It's far form convincing.
>>
>>545077
>>545088

Don't kid yourselves, just cos they AAA game companies they won't have one dickhead artist or something that doesn't care to do this just assuming he would never get caught.

Look at the stuff with bioware and the mass effect 3 thing. I don't have the image saved but the companies will just take something if it fits and think that they can.
>>
>>545101
It's probably easier to just make a shitty hex camo pattern from scratch than grab some shitty deviantart bullshit and change colors and move shit around. Note how it's "a few parts of the pattern that are exactly the same shape". This is something you'd whip up in 10 minutes in Photoshop or Illustrator. Why even bother trying to steal someone else's shit.
>>
>>545126
It worked for ubisoft
>>
What do you guys think about that texture site the Andrew Price made?
>>
>>545142
I got a subscription for one month, and downloaded all of the textures on the site in that time. They're actually really good.
>>
>>545126
theres examples out there of companies doing it, stop being so defensive about it

doenst matter if they thing they copied was shit, its still a shit thing to do
>>
>>545153
Share on cgpeers? Seems like the gold subscription is limited to 300 downloads.
>>
>>545127
I blame the fact that the Ubisoft team is entirely made up of progressive women.
>>
>>546109

it is, i fucking hate ubisoft
>>
>>545101
This is the truth. It's pretty obvious that the pattern was taken (I can't find any patterns that look remotely similar at an earlier date) but this happens all the time. The pattern is also very simply and easy to replicate making it nigh on impossible to protect. Nothing you can do about it unless you have rock solid proof they took it which you won't. Just take it as a lesson to be more cautious in the future.
>>
>>543083
The fuck else are you going to do while out there
>>
File: andy ciggo.jpg (257KB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
andy ciggo.jpg
257KB, 2880x1620px
>>544317
>>545061
>>545101
>>546122

Nobody stole your work, friendo. Hexagonal patterns are extremely easy to make and very common in FPS games. An artist would have an easier time creating his own texture than searching for yours, downloading it, modifying the PSD, exporting the files and making sure it's scaled to the UVs properly. If you really wanted to, you could email the company in question and they would look into it, rather than deal with potential fallout for stolen assets. I'm 100% certain the artist would screenshot his own PSD and make you feel stupid.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.