[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

circlejerk communities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

why there are so many 3D communities that are circlejerks?

not once or twice iv seen this.
there is always a prominent user posting shit work and get lots of attention.

is there a community that isn't a cesspool?
>>
File: unknown.png (165KB, 502x433px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
165KB, 502x433px
https://discord.gg/0Y4utWZT6cw7HUcE
>>
>>541208

It's just human behavior. It's why 4chan, or at least its format of complete anonymity, is really special.
>>
File: 411581.jpg (91KB, 1080x690px) Image search: [Google]
411581.jpg
91KB, 1080x690px
>>541208
It's the same story with most communities. You should see what goes on on literary forums.
Strictly regarding cg though, I think like the worst community in that respect is blender. With small exceptions like Gleb Alexandrov's works, most of the things posted are crap yet they keep on patting themselves on the back for it and are constantly amazed by the most basic stuff.
>>
>>541221
this.
also blender user use heavy photo filter and saturation on their work to mask the awful plastic shader that cycles have
>>
File: elsa_is_too_old_for_your_shit.jpg (478KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
elsa_is_too_old_for_your_shit.jpg
478KB, 1200x1600px
>>541221
>>541222

You guys seriously going to pretend everything you just said doesn't also apply to Maya, Max, and Zbrush users?
>>
>>541223
i say that as a blender user. im tired of guys posting default cube and get 50 likes while others get shit on
>>
>>541223
The vast majority of quality work doesn't use Blender, whilst the Vast majority of Blender work is absolute garbage, and comparatively fewer users create good work.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 2480x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 2480x1800px
>>541223
Blender users are too self contained as a community and they also tend to have this mindset where they reject other software "the I want to do everything in blender" attitude, "but blender can do anything other programs can hurr durr" , "it's the artist. not the software" which contributes a lot to the overall quality they produce. That means that what is considered good is usually good only by blender community's standards, not general modern cg standards.
And the ones that say they do good work in blender usually do most of the work in other programs and use Blender only minimally(look at Ricco Ciliers, most of what he does is done in Zbrush/Substance painter but it's a lot easier to get noticed on Blender groups, isn't it? )
Pic related: two top rows, one from Zbrushcentral the other from Blenderartists - maybe at a first glance it's not obvious but there is a gulf between the two in terms of quality.
>>
>>541231
i have a local blender forum i visit and its pretty much inactive, the admin deleted my account for no reason.
only thing i did was post work in attempt to revive the forum and bring up the class abit. then another guy posts something terrible and get praise right away.
that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, don't want to improve? fine. but don't make your community an echo chamber for people who churn out shit.

and about blender as a software. you should avoid rendering all together unless you build your own shaders and know your way around photoshop, otherwise leave the rendering aside
>>
File: 5380427_orig.jpg (336KB, 1100x484px) Image search: [Google]
5380427_orig.jpg
336KB, 1100x484px
I always find it funny how Blender users are eating up everything Reynante Martinez does, e.g. pic related.
He makes very basic stuff, but slaps on some philosophical title, so for some reason it's "the best shit ever" or something.

http://www.reynantemartinez.com/a-long-way-to-go.html

>>541231
>Pic related: two top rows, one from Zbrushcentral the other from Blenderartists
You're saying the right one made it to a top row? Wat.
>>
>>541244
that's not how you make grass
grass have a different hue and color variation, also looks plastic.
the snail should be translucent, is also plastic.
again, just like i mentioned in my previous post, its so heavily edited with post effects you are missing the essential colors
>>
File: 3425855_orig.jpg (185KB, 575x800px) Image search: [Google]
3425855_orig.jpg
185KB, 575x800px
>>541244
Yeah, Reynante is great example of all the circle jerking in Blender community. One prop usually on a blurred background with some meta title and he gets praised like crazy for some reason. Not to mention his CMV scam where you basically pay money for a few textures and materials that he stole from Blendswap. But there are a lot of gullible people, watcha gonna do?
Pic related: One of his "masterpieces"
>>
>>541248
You have to include the title, otherwise half of the "work" is missing.
>>
>>541248
I'm not really sure what you mean by circlejerking. You may think it's pretentious but he's just trying to accomplish something different than you, he doesn't aspire to get by just based on his 3D modeling skills.

As for the plastic grass and whatnot, that's just Blender.
>>
>>541244
Blender user here that thinks aesthetic value is much more important than "Meaning", especially in the current situation of 3d media

He's intermediate level
>>
>>541208
Use Polycount. For the most part it has people somewhat serious to serious and in the industry. They could be circle jerks but to be honest, they have the most up to date art more often than not.

Also, they host AAA studios art threads and dumps. Very good to see how the pros do it from time to time.
>>
Odforce for houdini is a decent community
>>
>>542651
>over 9000 hours rendering sims
>>
>>542651
Odforce is more than decent, I think it's amazing. The Houdini community in general is pretty great.
>>
>>541219
This place is guilty of the same thing OP has been talking about. Dont think of yourself as special.
>>
>>542642
>Polycount
You mean the board where everyone posts their cringe tier MOBA fanart projects?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.