[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good starter material/ tutorials I should read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Cup.png (367KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cup.png
367KB, 960x540px
What are some good starter material/ tutorials I should read to get into 3d modeling? The software I am using is Blender. Thanks!
>>
>>540550
Maybe you should start by posting that in the question thread that's on the first page, faggot. This isn't reddit.
>>
borncg
>>
When i was starting in blender i was watching tutorials on youtube. Channels like blender guru, CGgeek, tutor4u and so on. They have plenty of good tutorials, after about few months of repating what they do i was able to do anything i want. Sorry for english, poland here,
Hope i helped
>>
>using blender
lul
>>
This is why I wanted to start a youtube channel doing material tutorials on various renderers. Renderers like Luxrender, Mitsuba, Nox, Renderman, etc. Not Cycles though because there are plenty of those. but I can barely find any in depth tutorials of other renderers
>>
File: doit.png (155KB, 479x358px) Image search: [Google]
doit.png
155KB, 479x358px
>>540614
>pic related
create a thread for it so others can post their experience.
>>
>>540648
I don't even know where to start. Or what to name the channel.
>>
>>540698
first thing first. Start anywhere.
and for name since its a tut channle. dont need to be super fancy. be some shitty name like "CheckMy3dShit"
>>
>>540614
im also thinking about making tutorials for things like baking and retopology. maybe even sculpting

the only video i found on retoplogy/baking was an obscure vimeo one
>>
~1 get rid of blender, find the sort of thing you want to do and pirate/get the student version of that (MAX for arch viz ect) that MIGHT be blender but lol plz

~2 digital tutors is shit but get one month of subscription and sit through every level of your chosen program. watch each tut, then watch it again and work along.

~3 at the end of each level do a small project on what you have learned

~4 by the end of the month you will have an understanding of all basics, some work done. then just make whatever you want and look up/work out any issues you run into.

~5 work and keep working till you have a reel to send off. and if you get no reply it means you are shit. do more work and make a new reel. and if you are a hobbyist, i dont know, kill yourself?

~6 read the sticky first cracka
>>
>>540808
>Get rid of blender

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>540698
Here, use this guy's tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLda3VoSoc_TR7X7wfblBGiRz-bvhKpGkS

You'll need to supplement them with videos tackling specific things, though. So, after learning basics from his videos, start looking at stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Lvb_T81Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EoKEJzMDE
>>
>>540821

I'm actually interested. hobbyist i can get on board with entirely and use whatever you want. but to be good and respected and qualified for anything other than basic indy game dev work licenced software is a must. its not opinion.
>>
>>540822
Oh I have a basic understanding of modeling and how it works. I'm not very good at it but what I wanted to do was more like videos on how to make various materials and different render settings for each renderer and how they work. I don't really plan on doing any modeling tutorials since there are already so many.
>>
>>540823
>respected and qualified
the only thing that will get you respect is your portfolio.
employers won't spam your email account for merely using 3ds.
this fucking guy
>>
>>540825

wrong end of my stick. everything you said is correct. but good luck getting work if you wont fit in anyone's pipeline. unless you are gods gift its much easier for employers to pick from two reels of equal strength if one of them has a skill set catered to the industry standards. i like the idea of applications like blender, but from the outset all anyone is doing is limiting the pool of potential employment. there is an order to how many studios use what programs. Autodesk>C4D> Blender for example.
>>
>>540834
pipeline is just imaginary buzzword flying here.
you don't even know what is going inside a pipeline and for what purpose.
>>
>>540844

even in a small studio not a big one there is a pipeline, or i suppose you could call it workflow?

for example somewhere i work is

Maya > Zbrush > 3Dcoat (UV / Retop).

then Quixle / Photoshop / Rarely Mari

then Nuke or if motion graphics AE.

steps can be skipped project depending. but if you look at the places you want to work, id always pick the two or three most popular applications and learn those. even if you get a job with great work in a program they don't use. its gonna suck learning multiple programs as you work in a new job.
>>
>>540871
in such a competitive market where its hard to find worthwhile artists to invest it. id say nitpicking over software is not smart.

id take ease of use and speed over> ideals any day
>>
File: finaldonut1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
finaldonut1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>540550
this is the tutorial i followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYj6e-72RDs

he teaches you to use shortcuts from the beginning wich is really helpful i think.

just know in part 5 or 6 (the texture tutorial one) dont follow his advice on getting the normalmap from his own site but instead do a short tutorial on how to make normalmaps yourself in gimp.
other than that i really liked his tutorial.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.