[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sculptris

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: FirstSculpt.png (196KB, 1000x937px) Image search: [Google]
FirstSculpt.png
196KB, 1000x937px
Hello, this is my first time on the board and my first attempts at sculpting, so I am a total noob and I apologize if I am asking dumb questions.

I wanted to try a 3d program and chose Sculptris because it is free and seems more intuitive and to have less scary interfaces than other programs. What are people's thoughts on it as a program? My goals at the moment are not anything like creating some model that can be in-game...no, I just want to have some fun sculpting and maybe create some things that I can use as reference because I am a 2d artist.

I have a few specific questions to ask about it, but first I will post up the two sculpts I have made so far, then I will show the exact problems I want to find solutions for.

Both general feedback/advice and specific answers are welcome.
>>
File: SkullSculpt.png (783KB, 1674x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SkullSculpt.png
783KB, 1674x1000px
My second sculpt...
>>
File: SculptrisProblem2.png (78KB, 624x500px) Image search: [Google]
SculptrisProblem2.png
78KB, 624x500px
>>540445
Okay specific question about the horse. I attached an image showing a closeup where I had two problems.

1) In blue, you can see the hooves were tough and I left them blobby paddle shapes. How would you go about creating a nice would shape for them with a crisp edge on it? Is it possible to slice off something?

2) In the red, there was this weird ertifact blobby shape that appeared on my tail, and I wasn't sure how to get rid of it. I tried flattening it, smoothing it, using the reduce brush, but nothing seemed to work.
>>
File: SculptrisProblem1.png (85KB, 666x300px) Image search: [Google]
SculptrisProblem1.png
85KB, 666x300px
>>540446
On this one I ran into the issue of how to connect pieces, or to punch a hole through them. In this closeup the zygomatic arch should connect to the main skill, but I don't know how to do this. Is this even possible in Sculptris? Alternatively I would like to punch a hole through forms, like that would both be an alternate way of handling this section and could be used like creating a hole between the jaw and under the zygomatic near the teeth.

So is it even possible to create a donut shape in Sculptris?
>>
>>540445
>>540446
>>540447
>>540449
I forgot, I have one last question, regarding rendering in Sculptris. As you can see in the skill images I had fun with the default materials they have, but I would like to be able to create my own materials or change the lighting. Is it possible to create a light source that I can move around? If not, can the sculpture be brought into another program to do this?
>>
Sorry made some typos before

>>540447
>creating a nice would shape
*creating a nice round shape

>weird ertifact
*weird artifact

>>540450
> As you can see in the skill images
*skull images
>>
>>540447

1 Sculptris might be too limited I dont know I havn't used it. In zbrush you would use a polish or flatten brush. You can ignore the majority of zbrush's interface, you can even customize it to look like sculptris, give it a try.
>>
File: Woman_nosymmetry.png (2MB, 2820x2370px) Image search: [Google]
Woman_nosymmetry.png
2MB, 2820x2370px
>>540470
Ah I see. Is it possible to do similar in Blender or some other free program? I don't want to drop 800$ on a program I am using as a hobby, and am not really keen on pirating, though I may do that if Sculptris really is too limited for what I want.

Attached is another sculpt I did today in Sculptris, probably went overboard with how many angles I showed but I'm amazed at 3d and being able to see it from different angles. I tried on this one to have symmetry off from the very start so I had to manually sculpt it evenly and could get an asymmetric pose.
>>
>>540476
no
you can do a trial of zbrush to check it out

and then if you like it tournentnt it from cgpeers
>>
File: 1478437979668.jpg (459KB, 718x709px) Image search: [Google]
1478437979668.jpg
459KB, 718x709px
Another complete noob here.

Is it possible to use multiple materials in sculptris? Like when I pick a material for a sphere all of the spheres in the scene becomes same material, how can I prevent that if possible?
>>
>>540476
I don't think any program works like Sculptris does. It has some of my favorite tools from the way they work and behave.
Really wish Zbrush had a Crease tool like Sculptris does. Tried a trial of it and there are like 25 different tools that all do nearly the same thing.
>>541281
I don't think you can, you could try separating the objects and exporting and .obj and put them together in some other program.
>>
>>540476
>Is it possible to do similar in Blender

Yes absolutely, Blender doesn't have a trim brush (for some stupid reason) but you can make one very easily

Blender is really powerful but the default settings are shit; there's practically no built in textures or brushes, and you need to install or enable a lot of (free) add-ons

This guy's channel is amazing (but not really for learning), https://www.youtube.com/user/alexkovalev1985/videos

This channel is for learning, and this video is good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZnUgt659oI
>>
>>540476
>...probably went overboard with how many angles I showed but I'm amazed at 3d and being able to see it from different angles.
Maybe you'd be interested in https://sketchfab.com/
I don't know too much about it, but it's a place to upload your 3d models and then you can show them to people, and they can look at it from every angle.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.