[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people will defend this over blender

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: LVL80-3dsMax-1210x242.jpg (196KB, 1210x242px) Image search: [Google]
LVL80-3dsMax-1210x242.jpg
196KB, 1210x242px
>people will defend this over blender
>>
I had to format my Windows workstation and install Ubuntu on it, since then I've been using Blender instead of 3DS for my 3D.
Couple of things I've noticed:
>Camera controls are not that bad. If you've used Mudbox before (as I have), you can get used to it fairly easily.
>Autodesk's ViewCube is a blessing.
>Fuck Cycles. A tiny issue with material nodes and boom, your model won't show up.
>Modelling is really quick and easy, way better than Max.
>Find Shortest Path... Why hasn't Autodesk implemented this in yet?
>RAM usage in Blender is seriously satisfying, after Max and it's 4 out of 8GB used RAM bullshit.
Though the best thing in Blender, hands down, has got to be the
>UV mapper. I used to spend a day or two just to map a low poly arm, but I got an entire scene done in less than 10 minutes with Blender.
Loving it, so far. I'd try out the sculpting tools, but I couldn't sculpt if my life depended on it.
>>
give cycles some time. we will get there eventually.
>>
>>540435
I've never had my models disappear because of one wrong move with nodes, but I will say that cycles is seriously inefficient and needs some kind of better averaging algorithm to get rid of fireflies
>>
>>540475
Happened to me just yesterday - was working on a box modelled object, UV unwrapped, exported layout, painted in Krita and imported back into Blender.
Rendered it in Cycles, only to find that my model disappeared.
Removing the material did nothing, and all the options that could've avoided it from showing up were disabled.
Only thing that fixed it was to save entire scene to new .blend file and open, unselecting "Import UI" or whatever it's called and retexture everything.

I wasn't going to use Cycles, as most people here shit on it more than on Blender itself, but RenderMan and POV-ray decided to just not work.
>>
>>540480

Cycles is good enough if you just have a very small scene or just an asset like an character or a prop.

https://gumroad.com/l/caFQw

With this PBR shader you can use in Substance created textures and they'll look good.

I made the jump to Blender this year coming from C4d because i am sick and tired of using 15 year old UV unwrapping methods and waste my time with slow modeling tools.
>>
>>540501
Forgot....if you like the UVing in Blender there is also this coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUoLQUK3-s
>>
>>540480
happened to me too, i just use restore and it works
>>
>>540431
how can they justify that price tag?
its not like this is an inmensly profitable industry
>>
>>540510
All of adobe's software including photoshop, after effects, premiere, etc. cost like half of that

Autodesk confirmed for bigger kikes than Adobe
>>
Do you pay the same $125/mo even if you're a big developer as it doesn't seem to be turnover based? Talking about the studios who do work for/owned by Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc. I imagine they have to be evaluated for some multiuser license agreement?
>>
>>540502
That's neat but if they were going to make any changes to UVs, it'd be nice if they could make it easier to work with UDIM sets.
>>
>>540431

>free educational version of tools the professionals use.

Muh Open Source!
>>
if you are torn between paying for MAX or figuring out blender.

get modo instead, their prices are better and they have indie version
>>
>>540544
>get modo instead, their prices are better and they have indie version

Why wouldn't you just get the student version?

If you get hired by or start your own studio, you can buy a license then (and write it off) or they'll buy one for you

The appeal of Blender is that it's light weight, runs well on older hardware or a laptop (but you're still going to want to do your renders on a desktop / home render farm), and the open source aspect means autists make cool branches
>>
>>540543
good goyim, defend the software jew
>>
>>540565
that's not a problem.
offer a good price for people who want to start 3D and don't force them to other programs, that's take away from your market share
>>
>>540572
$125 a month is perfectly reasonable goy, it's what the professionals use!
>>
>>540609
>paying for software in 2017
I think you're responding to a troll.
>>
>>540612
>implying this entire thread isn't a troll
>>
If you don't make $125 a month off 3d work to pay for software like this, you must not be that good.

/sarcasm
>>
>>540619
this is what autodesk shills actually believe
>>
>>540620
I'm an Autodesk 'shill', and i definitely do not believe this. Why the fuck anybody would buy Max over Maya / LT is beyond me, but Maya definitely shits all over Blender.
>>
>>540431
you guys know you can get a free version from their site right? it has all the same features. you just have to be a student. but idk cause i used my gmail account so i dont know if they really check. only thing is, if you open a saved file on an actual paid version itll say its from a student version of the program. thats it though
>>
>>540627
What are you some kind of fucking communist faggot?
>>
Basically, Autodesk doesn't give a shit who uses what version of their software, even if it's pirated. If you're not making enough money to cover the cost of a legit subscription, they won't care what you do. They know full well that most of their paying customers got their start on pirated copies.
>>
>>540627
>so i dont know if they really check.

It doesn't even need to be a valid email address, it just needs to end in .edu and you need to specify a random school from the dropdown list
>>
>>540712
nah, they don't even require an .edu email. I signed up with gmail.
>>
>>540621
>but Maya definitely shits all over Blender.

you are stepping a little bit over the edge here.
maya have better plugins out of the box, but in the state that is blender today you can't really say that.

blender users are really just lazy + not watching the right tutorials
>>
>>540732
>blender users are really just lazy + not watching the right tutorials
i do feel that blender could use better tutorials. or maybe im just retarded
>>
>>540736
here is a breakdown of blender tutorials

>click here to make this awesome landscape!!
>eyy hol up
>just download these textures they are in my website :DD

im thinking about making proper tutorials myself
>>
File: 41060835_p0.jpg (265KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
41060835_p0.jpg
265KB, 1000x500px
>>540431
>Not using Zbrush+Blender for everything.
>>
>>540435

not to mention the amazing modeling tools.

i love blender for its simplicity and shortes path ideology.

>>540436

cycles is amazingly underfinanced. if you see how many money Autodesk and render farmers put into their renders.
>>
>>540526
>big developer

can you please name me one?
>>
>>540621
>but Maya definitely shits all over Blender.

tell that to all beer i can get for 125 dollars a month. seriously nigglet with 125 dollars i can even afford the zbrush or drawing courses in internet.
>>
File: 1478504421543.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1478504421543.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
your preference for blender is why you're STUCK ON THIS GOD FORSAKING FORUM MAKING SHITTY ANIME WAIFUS AND MAKING SHIT FOR YOUR GAME THAT NO ONE WILL BUY
>>
>>540842
>implying I wanted to sell my games
>>
>>540647
this man speaks the truth
if you are not a studio or a very successful freelancer just pirate the damn thing, they don't even make it hard to pirate it
>>
>>540829
Maya doesn't cost 125 bucks a month you retard.
>>
3ds max vs maya?
>>
>>541342
Part of the eternal fights
Xbox VS Playstation, Microsoft VS Apple, Tits or ass, etc

Both have their thing going
>>
>>540435
You don't know how to use greentext.
>>
>>540732
>blender users are really just lazy + not watching the right tutorials

There's one aussie who outputs a fuckton of good tutorials for free. since like 2011/12? The amount of free/paid tutorials for blender is staggering
>>
>>541447
Ofc I do, that was just for the sake of readability.
>>
>>541453
Name/link?
>>
>>541453
I'm guessing Andrew price. Yeah, most of his tutorials are shit and the guy can't model to save his life
>>
>>541511
>216k subs
>>
>>541512
yeah i agree with the guy above me.

you won't learn dick with andrew price.
i recommend borncg + oliver villar + darine lile

tutor4u are even better than andrew price
>>
>>541511
he's not a modeler, he's a compositing guy. his strength is rendering/compositing/post/effects. you don't watch him to learn to model, UV unwrap, texture, rig, animate, etc.
>>
>>540435
I still have a hard time with UV in Blender.
How do I get good at UB mapping?
>>
>>541905
3D Coat is fantastic.
>>
>>541523
>borncg
Talk about people who can't fucking model to save their life.
>>
>>541511
>>541894
What's a good chanel for modeling in blender then?
>>
>>541945
he is better at blender than you, guranteed
>>
>start maya
>fbx isn't a recognized filetype without a plugin
>obj isn't a recognized filetype without a plugin
do people really think this is good?
>>
>>541988
Surely you're jesting.
>>
>>541988
That's trolling right?
>>
>>541947
blender guru
>>
File: 1293175649876.png (105KB, 474x368px) Image search: [Google]
1293175649876.png
105KB, 474x368px
>>542000
>>542042
it's not and it is true
>>
Lie and say you're a student and get the free version. Problem solved
>>
File: 1479965806959.jpg (31KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
1479965806959.jpg
31KB, 498x482px
>>542073
The hell you talking about? I'm using Maya 2016 and you can import both fbx and obj without any plugin. You just select the file type and import them
>>
>>540435
Dont forget the circle tool, and boolean modifiers. It practically models itself.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.