[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What hardware components should be prioritized when looking to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Sculpting.png (734KB, 982x719px) Image search: [Google]
Sculpting.png
734KB, 982x719px
What hardware components should be prioritized when looking to increasing polycount when working in Zbrush?

On the macs at my workplace, I can get up to 40 million, though not very stable. At home, I can only get 3 million or so before it hangs up on me.
>>
>>540238
do you use sub levels or just use bare polies?
>>
>>540239

Subdivision in this case. I was able to reach 7 million polys in dynamesh at work.
>>
File: 1422574102631.png (200KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1422574102631.png
200KB, 600x451px
>>540238
My coworker talked with the Pixologic guys.
While the CPU and GPU are obviously important, the primordial hardware to consider is RAM. 32gb is okay, 64gb is ideal, and 128gb is the best, especially for big productions.
>>
>>540240
You got your answer, dynamesh isnt for such high sub levels
the higher the polycount on your lowest sub level the worse the software will run

>>540246
>While the CPU and GPU are obviously important
funny that, since zbrush dosnt support gpu acceleration and uses only the cpu for rendering
i can easily get to 100mln polies on my 16gbs of ram
zbrus isnt really deisgned to go higher than that, in fact 100mln is the limit of a single subtool count, at 1000mln the software will start shitting itself with the memory dump times, you will spend more time waiting for strokes updates than actually sculpting

so stop bullshiting
>>
>>540249
Uuuh yeah, of course there's a limit of polys at some point, but the idea is that the more RAM you have, the more freedom you get while working, otherwise some operations (especially projections) will make the software crash everytime thus restraining you to do proper work

>While the CPU and GPU are obviously important
Didnt talk about acceleration, but those high polys and shading and shit still need to be displayed properly. Learn to graphics

If you wanna call bullshit on my previous post, your loss.
>>
>>540250
>Uuuh yeah, of course there's a limit of polys at some point, but the idea is that the more RAM you have, the more freedom you get while working, otherwise some operations (especially projections) will make the software crash everytime thus restraining you to do proper work
you clearly have no clue what you talking about
what projections?
you mena projecting meshes, displacing alpha maps?
those operations are done on a vertex per vertex basis ad use 0 ram memory

>Didnt talk about acceleration, but those high polys and shading and shit still need to be displayed properly. Learn to graphics
so you were only pretending to be retarded?
truly a quality post by a newfag, you will make an amazing addition to this board...
>>
File: 1473903607838.gif (4MB, 327x261px) Image search: [Google]
1473903607838.gif
4MB, 327x261px
>>540254
>>
>>540238

40 million at 20 frames a second. I hope they really improve this shit for 5. GPU acceleration is not the answer either as substance painter is slow as fuck also.
>>
>>540246
>tfw 4 GB
>>
>>540274

I have 8, and I feel you. Changing to 32 in not too long.
>>
>>540250
Lol zbrush does not utilize a gpu ...at all.
>>
>>540257
Try optimizing your mesh topology and maybe it'll work for you .
>>
>>540306

When I go up that high, it's for sculpting on a low poly model and baking down normal map and texture map. Some models have large flat surfaces, so I have to crank it up to get the detail I want.
>>
>>540316
that makes no sense
why would you model the low poly first? optimizing is the final steep of a half competent workflow
and even if you have a low poly before there is no reason to limit yourself to the low mesh topology has no impact on the normal baking
just set up the cage and bake what you want
>>
>>540341

I'm talking about hard surface stuff here. Things like furniture and such that's supposed to be ready to put into a game engine, with 100-1000 polygons.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.