[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How alike eachother are free programs vs. paid ones? Whilst the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1472177242974.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1472177242974.png
56KB, 491x585px
How alike eachother are free programs vs. paid ones?
Whilst the txt says none is "better", I assume they will be quite diffrent from each other. But by how much?
If I were to get good in blender, how much trouble would I have getting into Maya?

I have maya in my education-course, but was thinking of going for blender to get better at 3DCG in the course.
(And yeah ESLpost. Sorry.)
>>
noone cares which program you use , just if you make good stuff, only I think if you work at pixar or somewhere else where you need to literally work on the same thing with others (in the same program)
>>
>>537742
Yeah, I get that.
I just wonder how diffrent they are from eachother.
If I'll have to waste time learning blender and then have to re-learn everything for Maya it don't feel worth it.
>>
>>537743
you dont "re-learn" , you just get into an other User interface
>>
>>537744
Ah okay, thanks
>>
>>537744
This is not true. Blenders UI is very different from Maya, and while fundamentals will always be retained in your mind, the blow out from its UI will make you butthurt if you switch to something else, and vise versa. I would know, I switched from Blender.
>>
>>537755
maybe you're just not good at switching? Different people have different levels of abstraction
>>
>>537756
Nah, it's a common problem when people switch. I learned 3DS Max instantaneously with its layers, but from Blender to Maya it was terrible. Maya to 3DS Max was a breeze. A friend of mine had the same problem, and if you look in every thread that relates to this topic, people get annoyed when switching from Blender or too Blender.

It's a fine program but the UI just sucks.
>>
>>537758
Nah you are just not good with switching programs and UI's.
I learned Blender starting this year and also Modo, and Clarisse and Mari.
I switch from C4d to Maya to Blender to whatever.....
No problems whatsoever.
Not saying that Blenders UI is great, but its not THAT bad.
>>
>>537759
Some people have an okay time, like you. Otherwise, there are many people who have trouble switching and trust me, I've used Modo, C4D also. They were not hard switches. Blender is just shit UI. There is a reason it's a meme, it's because it's true. Sorry I hurt your feelings when I said something negative about Blender mate, but it's a very common problem, just Google it. Peace out.
>>
>>537759
>>537756

itt: autist defends his livelihood
>>
>>537759
It's the worst of all the UIs, why put yourself through it when you can just use Maya?
>>
>>537755
are you retarded, thats the exact point I wanted to make
>>
>>537760
You can't hurt my feelings by describing a problem you have with an tool. That is your problem not mine.
I am just telling you that i use a wide range of tools and i learn even more and i have not much more problems adapting to Blender than to lets say Mari.
Every 3D program has its idiosyncrasies.
You learn it and than you use it.

>>537770
Best and Worst becomes meaningless when you just can use it and don't have an strong emotional response to something superficial like an UI distracting your mind from using its functionality.

Why not use all of these programs and try to find the best way to do something?
>>
>>537811
>Why not use blender, 3ds max, maya, modo, fusion, c4d?

Are you retarded or are you just trolling? Specializing and not being a jack of all trades is the way too go. Of course you can learn other software, it's just that many of us work in a specific package and don't care to learn every other program like you because we actually have jobs in 3d. It is better to be a master of few than a Jack of all when it comes too software. Sounds too me like you're just a hobbyist who pirates all his shit and bounces around never really learning proficiency in a single package. Keep at it champ, peace.
>>
>>537811
Who let the /v/irgin in here who just downloaded Blender?
>>
Time
>>
The details are different, but the fundamental things are the same. The fundamental abilities that make you good at your job such as

- having a good feeling for how to navigate space
- having a good feeling for shape/form/proportions
- having a good feeling for anatomy
- having a good feeling for animation (timing, anticipation, ...)
- having a good feeling for lighting, colors, contrast, composition
- having a good feeling for sculpting
- having a good feeling for what a good topology is like for a mesh
- having a good feeling for how a mesh should be rigged
- having a good feeling for where/when what kind of level-of-detail is needed so that the overall piece is not over-detailed in some places and under-detailed in other places
- having a good feeling for materials and when to use the different types of shaders
- having a good feeling for how and when to apply physics and how

etc

are basically exactly the same in all software. But yes, you should expect to spend some weeks learning the new software. Depending on from what you switch to what, some things may be done very differently. modo, blender, maya, 3dsmax, cinema4d and the other "3d generalists" aren't really all that different in how they work except for the UI. When you get to more specific things like simulating physics, hairs, particles, sculpting-apps, etc, things become more varied.
>>
>>540093
basically know things that only experience will teach you. In other words just do it alot and try to actively become more efficient at what you do over time by paying attention to your mistakes/learn shortcuts.
>>
>>537738
watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1AKIl_2GM
>>
>>537755
I agree. Maya is also a more industry standard program so if you want to do this for a living, I would buy it and consider the cost to be tuition towards your CG education
>>
File: Gleb_Alexandrov_Seoul.jpg (487KB, 1100x1519px) Image search: [Google]
Gleb_Alexandrov_Seoul.jpg
487KB, 1100x1519px
>>537738
>How alike eachother are free programs vs. paid ones?

Concepts are readily interchangeable, and once you get to a point with one software you can easily watch a tutorial for another and translate the techniques over.

The biggest problem with Blender is that the default settings for things are garbage, and this causes two big problems:

People try Blender as novices, get disappointed, and move on to a program where there's already a big library of easy to use shaders, easy to use renderer, easy to use lighting setup.

The second problem, which is even worse, is they google Blender art and they see the oceans of garbage made with Default lighting, world settings, materials, and poor topology and they get discouraged and think that's all that can be made with Blender. Doesn't help that Blender tutorials are always done with the default ugly as fuck Default Theme and settings (understandably so).

If you go to Artstation and you type in 'blender', there are plenty of really great looking renders that you could not distinguish between whether it was made in Blender or Maya or Max or Houdini or whatever.

If it's a Maya course, you should stick with Maya for practical reasons (the school's rendering pipeline is going to be built for Maya, collaborations with other students are going to be via Maya, etc) and then later or on your own time try out Blender.
>>
>>540522
Omg!!! thats awesome!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.