[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did CGI artists in the 90s love noise texture so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: screen37.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
screen37.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
Why did CGI artists in the 90s love noise texture so much?
>>
File: 1348876529462.gif (120KB, 497x372px) Image search: [Google]
1348876529462.gif
120KB, 497x372px
>>537398
why do you think, fuckoloid? maybe because it was the90's
>>
>>537398
>those sandals
>>
just think about it. 3dcg was in the early stages especially for games. just adding bumps or details wouldnt work on those low poly assets. to not make it look so bland they choose noise for better recognition and more detail. also yes. its kind of a style question too.
>>
>>537398
Easier to just use procedural textures than to have someone make a bunch of textures from scratch. 3d texturing and shit in games was pretty young at this point. Odds are they didn't really have a large team to texture every little thing (barring memory constraints). Noise textures were probably easier, and you didn't need an artist to make them.
>>
>>537398
People have never stopped using procedural textures. What we have now is just much easier to fake.

Tho that image is exceptionally lazy.
>>
God the 90s were so good.

People got paid full wages for shitty polygonal models like this and your excuse was the technology of the time for it looking so shit

Nowadays you need a AAA tier model to earn next week's rent AFTER 3 pain-staking iterations . And you had better be thankful for this charity upon you.

Goddamn being a game artist in the 90's would've been awesome.
>>
>>537464
Its was, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon... and here we are.
>>
File: 1457846813628.jpg (29KB, 297x380px) Image search: [Google]
1457846813628.jpg
29KB, 297x380px
>>537464

You have no fucking idea.

You can't fucking compare the 3D modeling workflow now with the one in the 90's.

They expect a lot more from you because it was almost rocket science to do good models back then. Also, everything is much, MUCH faster now. A lot even happens in realtime while back in the 90's it was not uncommon to let shit render/bake etc FOR DAYS.
>>
>>537468
This. When DKC was released for SNES, it was an amazing technological marvel, as it used the "same tech as used in the creation of Jurassic Park"; AKA tech only available for universities and rich-as-fuck Hollywood studios at the time... and got those visuals work on an outdated 16-bit 2D console.

Yeah, we all know how they did it, but 3D modeling was still some real voodoo and true unknown art for most people.
>>
>>537464

I worked in the early ps2 era. I miss it so fucking much.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.