[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what does it take to get into film industry for modeling and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: district9robot.jpg (137KB, 1600x865px) Image search: [Google]
district9robot.jpg
137KB, 1600x865px
So what does it take to get into film industry for modeling and texturing instead of video games?

Not interested in rigging, animating etc.
>>
>>536012
>So what does it take
A good portfolio.

Something you're likely to never get by browsing /3/
>>
be 100% competent in zbrush and max, have a banging portfolio
>>
>>536016
>film industry
>max
you mean Maya
>>
good discipline, working smart, networking
>>
>>536019
Depends on the studio.
Definitely Maya when it comes to animation, but OP didn't asked for that.
Some studios use Max or Modo for hardsurface modelling.
The tool is not the important thing here, skill is.
>>
>>536015
So why are you browsing here, Anon?
>>
>>536058
im not trying to get into the film industry, you cucky shitlord
>>
>>536012
Take whatever Jr studio for tv and movies modeling/surfacing jorb you can get. Don't be terrible. Bigger places will separate character modelers from all other modeling. Learn maya is more standard now (north america), but knowing more software is allllllways better. Go to cg meetups, just meeting ppl gets you in when they know your stuff personally.

Fucking listen to people once you get there. Learn all you can forever.
>>
>>536116
>a good portfolio
so you dont need to show anything to get into any other CG related industry ?
>>
>>536012
What the other anon said. You gotta make good stuff then show it off in ur portfolio
>>
>>536058
Because I have no desire to get into this industry.

Why are YOU here?
>>
isnt the vfx industry one of the absolute worst when it comes to digital art?
>>
>>536045
>>536019 here, yeah I totally agree that for creating the assets, the software definitely isnt important, but OP mentioned the film industry, and there's no doubt the standard is Maya.

>>536012
You have to master Zbrush, Max and/or Maya, Substance and Photoshop. You have to be able to:
>Create quality high-poly sculpt
>Retopo it
>UV it
>Bake your shit
>Create badass textures
>>
>>536970
BS, that's the gaming pipeline.

-And substance is made SPECIFICALLY FOR GAMES.
Substance and quixel don't handle Udims and multiple texture UVs.

If anything, Mari is the Film standard for texturing.

And I posted something hardsurface. NO WAY would zBrush be standard for film hard surface.
>>
>>537124
>NO WAY would zBrush be standard for film hard surface
Depends on your workflow man. More and more people are using Zbrush for everything, even hard-surface. There are some kickass IMM and boolean functions nowadays
>>
>>536970
>>537124
humm yeah fuck Substance, but the rest is accurate.. you have to be able to sculpt the high-res and retopo for animation
>>
800 dollars for zbrush
does it fuckin do all the work for you or something?
not even tempted.
>>
>>537180
Welcome to commercial 3D programs anon.
800 for a lifetime license is fucking nothing at all.
>>
>>537177
>More and more people are using Zbrush for everything, even hard-surface.
Its true but only a retard would ONLY work in Zbrush.
You build the general shape and the boolean forms in an standard 3DCC then you bool and refine in Zbrush. Works well for Weapons and general machine parts because you can mimic how they are actually carved/manufactured.
>>
>>536019
op specifically said not animation so more so environments which max probably better for
>>
>>537208
>>537180
Seriously, Autodesk costs like 1.5-2KUSD for one year.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.