[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here use these things? I'm very tempted to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: 429506.jpg (28KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
429506.jpg
28KB, 800x600px
Does anyone here use these things?

I'm very tempted to test one out.

The smaller ones that are just the "joystick" seems to be useful enough, but going bigger with the entire "keyboard" seems like it's gonna be very useful, but you will still be tied to your keyboard.
>>
Oh, and also how useful you find it outside 3D softwares.
>>
Test it out and tell us what you think. Everyone I know in the business still uses a 3-button mouse but different strokes for different folks!
>>
>>534131
I have one, I can't go back to operating the camera with a mouse or tablet. it's so fucking natural, I can't believe I didn't make the switch sooner.

the best thing is: you operate the camera the same natural way in whatever software you use, so no need to getting used to different camera controls when switching from one software to the other.
>>
>>534238
I have a similar feeling towards logitechs scroll wheels.

Do you just have the joystick version? Because after looking at reviews I think that's what I'd benefit most from.
>>
File: 11.jpg (76KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
76KB, 675x450px
>>534240
yeah the 3D mouse is what makes it great, so that'll benefit you the most. the other stuff is nice to have but not necessary .

I have pic related.
>>
>>534241
I don't think I'll be able to get used to the extra keys as I'm not a user of a numpad for example.
And my current keyboard is very slim so I can fit the joystick next to it and not move my hand.

Do you use it for anything else?
>>
Oh and I'm also wondering if you are able to move the camera with it?
>>
>>534243
wtf? did you read the thread? the 3D mouse has the sole purpose of camera movement. You change your view with your left hand, and working and manipulate (model) with your right hand (preferably using a tablet)
>>
>>534244
I'M SORRY ANON

The videos I had seen so far only used them to manipulate the model, not the camera.
>>
>>534246
are you sure they weren't just orbiting the object with the camera, and you thought they were rotating the object instead?
>>
Fuck me, these are fucking expensive like a new GPU.
Seems like the space navigator is the only option for my wallet.
I guess when you want to rotate over the object you can tilt the stick?
>>534238
Dammit now i want one.
>>
>>534251
the stick has every possible movement option, so eventually you don't think, you just do.
>>
>>534248
No they specifically rotated the entire object.

But in these new ones I've watched they use it as a camera.
>>
File: 1469779103262.jpg (13KB, 360x425px) Image search: [Google]
1469779103262.jpg
13KB, 360x425px
>>534246
>The videos I had seen so far only used them to manipulate the model, not the camera.
>doesn't post links to videos
>>
>>534131
They're great for 3d navigation
I automatically disregard software that doesn't support them

The buttons are pretty bad though
I recommend getting a smaller one and building a keyboard around it if you can solder/diy
>>
>>534251
You can get them relatively cheap if you don't mind buying used
>>
>>534258
>building a keyboard around it if you can solder/diy
jesus christ. just use an external (USB) numpad and autohotkey to bind other functions to the keys
>>
>>534260
You ideally need keys on the left and the right for it
Though a numpad on the left would probably work
>>
>>534261
well, either just buy one, or use a numpad. creating your own keyboard just to save some money, means your time ain't worth much. meaning, put your time to better use.
>>
>>534263
I have one with buttons but regret not getting one without because I could quickly build a keyboard around it in a day or two
>>
>>534264
* the issue isn't really higher price but rather the original buttons being 1999 mobile-phone-tier quality
>>
>>534264
>I could quickly build a keyboard
just because you could, you're recommending this method to random people?
>>
>>534266
With most 3d modelers being highly talented and intelligent individuals the chance of them being able to diy something is reasonable
>>
>>534267
we rather spend time making art than fucking around making ugly keyboards just to save some cash
>>
File: Spaceball_5000.jpg (39KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Spaceball_5000.jpg
39KB, 400x400px
>>534131
yes, they are fucking great. I use Spaceball 5000 and it is fucking great pic related. It was 15 bucks on ebay. I believe it is way better than the newer spaceballs because this one has buttons. Buttons are great because you can hotkey up stuff like controlling music and what not. Drivers still work for solidworks and most software at least on windows 7.

Feels like you're reaching into the screen man.
>>
File: render.jpg (214KB, 600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
render.jpg
214KB, 600x2000px
What renderers do you guys use?

What are the pros and cons of each render engine?
>>
>>534131
Used and never liked it. Good for wannabe artists who WANT to look pro. protip - you only have two hands. One hand on WSAD, where most of your time-saving key bindongs are, second one on mouse to click in viewport. COnstant switching one hand from key/mouse to this fucking thing is huge time disadventage. Only people in industry i was using it were fuckwicks that discussed 2 weeks about look of 5 icons, and finally never delivered anything, because icons were too mainstream and we should - they just want to impress people that dont know shit about industry, while not doing any work.
>>
File: 417Vll2NOSL._SY300_.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
417Vll2NOSL._SY300_.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>534238
>I have one, I can't go back to operating the camera with a mouse or tablet. it's so fucking natural, I can't believe I didn't make the switch sooner.
This.
I bought one maybe 2 years ago and I get annoyed when I switch between work stations and I don't have it.
Pic related is the one I have
>>
Does anyone here have experience with this + zBrush? It just seems that this is perfect for zBrush, but I can only imagine that Pixologic and their alien interface would basically find a way to keep their user experience bad even with this. Please, prove me wrong, I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was great not only to Maya, but zBrush also.
>>
>>534351
Doesn't work with Zbrush
>>
>>534131
wasted money
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.