[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC vs MAC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Mac-vs-PC.jpg (208KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Mac-vs-PC.jpg
208KB, 1000x600px
Any other students out there have to sit and listen to your profs and fellow classmates choke on Apple cock all day long? It's like they enjoy wasting money or something.
>>
>>533862
wrong board, faggot.
take it to /g/
>>
File: cd3.jpg (25KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
cd3.jpg
25KB, 600x418px
>>533862
>tfw apple has shit vidya cards
>>
>>533862

Honestly mac's really aren't THAT expensive. Especially if you aren't a retard when you buy it. Yeah, for 3d stuff, it's pretty pointless if you're doing animations, not too bad for single images depending on what render engine you're using.

I have a PC I built myself (its kinda old) it's got a 6core amd, so not fantastic, maybe around $800-1000 for all the parts when I put it together.

And I also just bought a mac off some guy on craigslist for $1000, it shits on my PC. 4th Gen i7, maybe 8 cores (that's what it shows on my activity monitor) 16 gigs of ram, and a 250gb SSD. Not too bad, but also 90% sure it was stolen.

The operating system is far beyond windows in terms of stability and how lite it is.

I run CPU renders, so the graphics card isn't a big deal to me. So my mac does everything I need it to do, and wasn't any more expensive than any PC. So I don't really know where all the hate comes from
>>
hardwares shit and overpriced, software is good.
>>
File: IMG_5600.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5600.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
If you don't mind older hardware, you can get a 1,1 Mac Pro, drop a pair of 2.66GHz quad core Xenons into it, add 32GB of ECC FBDIMMS and a Radeon 7990 3GB to it for less than $600 shipped via eBay- you can envelope run El Cap on it. I have two like that, and they are beast Maya/zBrush workstations.
>>
OS X is unusable for 3D. OpenGL, openCL and CUDA are drivers are always either out of date or broken and it doesn't even support Vulkan. Apple isn't going to make proper workstations ever again, keeping 3d programs running on OS X is a colossal waste. Most high end 3d programs have moved to linux, mac users are holding back everyone because photoshop and zbrush keep getting mac ports instead of linux.
>>
>>533918
The hardware is good, but like >>533919 said the software is shitty.
Why don't you put a CentOS on one of your machines (dualboot) and compare how Maya runs. Doesn't cost you much except some time and you could use OpenGl/Cl and CUDA.
>>
>>533885
>1000$ mac
>i7
Pick one
>let me just compare this stolen mac i bought at a stupid and obvious "steal" price with legit PCs.
Good job
>>
>>533885
>8cores
Nigga how are you stupid enough to not know that those are logical cores or threads, but smart enough to use a 3d program? This is a paradox.
>>
>>533924
Well, I can assure you it's an i7, granted it's probably a modified i7 to be more energy effecient.

And so what if it's stolen? Does that take away from the fact that I bought a macbook pro with an i7? I have an imac that I bought for $400 from my old work that has an i3 in it, the possibility to buy macs for cheap are there

>those are logical cores or threads
That's why I put "(that's what it shows on my activity monitor)" in parentheses, The info about the computer doesn't show the exact i7 model, so I don't know.
>>
File: silicon_graphics_fuel.jpg (184KB, 1024x548px) Image search: [Google]
silicon_graphics_fuel.jpg
184KB, 1024x548px
Mac or PC? How cute.
>>
>>533885
>The operating system is far beyond windows in terms of stability and how lite it is
>beyond windows in terms of stability and how lite it is
>how lite it is
>>
>>533956
Tell me again how you need a fuck load of bloat ware and built in trojans from Microsoft.

The OS for Macs is far better than windows 10. The last good OS for PC was XP
>>
>>533966
>Tell me again how you need a fuck load of bloat ware and built in trojans from Microsoft.
>The OS for Macs is far better than windows 10. The last good OS for PC was XP
Windows is shit but Apple no longer support OS X for 3d work or anything CPU and GPU intensive. If the OS X users would just use linux there would be enough reason for the last few graphics programs to get linux ports and there would be a proper non-windows alternative for 3d. Instead they all stick with OS X and expect developers to spend more and more time trying to work around missing features and drivers while Apple does nothing.
>>
>>533934
Buy all the stolen shit you want. But dont make a comparison using the price you got. Tomorrow you might go steal a gtx1080 n then say its better than buying a gtx 1060 because you got a gtx 1080 for free. What the hell is wrong with you?! Mac is shit for the price its sold on, in a store.
>>
>>534001
>Apple no longer support OS X for 3d work or anything CPU and GPU intensive
What the fuck are you talking about? If anything, Apple is more supportive of that, and more developers are shifting to that too. I do video production for a living and 90% of the people in the industry use Mac environments, video is very intensive (not as much as 3d).

>dont make a comparison using the price you got|
I'm not saying it was stolen, but it's amazing that I was able to get a macbook pro with i7 processor in it for $1000. Why can't you get something like that yourself?
>>
Mac is a PC, PC means Personal Computer. Quit falling for the Apple marketing meme that tries to make Mac a special category.
>>
>>534034
>Apple is more supportive of that, and more developers are shifting to that too
What the fuck are you talking about?
Video Production is not 3D, your personal experience from a nonrelated business means nothing.
>>
>>534050
Maya, C4D, 3DS Max, And more that I won't list, are all available for Mac. What the fuck are YOU talking about??

>Video Production is not 3D

No shit, I was refering to how you said OS X doesn't support anything cpu and GPU intensive, which is a fucking lie
>>
>>534034
>Why can't you get something like that yourself?

Some of us have a problem with making dealings with shady people in craigs list. Especially if the said goods are stolen property.
>>
All the people I know who use Macs for /3/ complain like hell about the software. Mac versions of the software always lag behind PC versions for updates because not many people use Macs for /3/ so there's not a lot of incentive for the software developers to support it as rigorously as they do the PC versions of the software.

Macs are still used a lot for 2D graphic design and desktop publishing and some colleges mandate their students in graphic design buy/lease macs but for 3D the PC rules.
>>
Mac is really moving away from professional consumer products as obviously the general consumer market is way bigger, just look at when last the Mac pro got a upgrade, meanwhile you can now upgrade a new iMac to the point where it has comparable specs to a bottom of the range Mac pro, also final cut pro becoming final cut x, which looks like a consumer product, not a professional product. For the same money as a new Mac pro, just look at what hardware you can buy for that money in pc terms, it just doesn't make sense to buy a new Mac pro with 3 year old technology for that price anymore. There aren't even rumors of a new Mac pro coming out any time soon.
>>
>>534059
Where is Apple MORE supportive?
It moves away from the high performance market.
Is slower than the competition AND more expensive.
Yes the main application are on Mac (minus MAX which is not)
but what about the plugins, the renderer?
What about the latest GPU's?
>>
>>534116
Where did I say that Mac was MORE supportive? YOU said that macs don't support any intesive work, which is an absurd thing to say, because I know that's simply not true.

>What about the latest GPU's?

You can get up to two AMD d700's. One of those is equivalent to an nvidia gtx 780 ti. 12gb of vram isn't bad.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.