[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /3/, I just finished my 6 month long student project and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: fightloop_2.gif (461KB, 300x126px) Image search: [Google]
fightloop_2.gif
461KB, 300x126px
Hey /3/, I just finished my 6 month long student project and will be graduating in a few weeks. Any comments or tips for a fellow CG artist/animator going into the world?
>>
>>532952
If you're an animator you practice day and night to get as good as your gif and then some. You learn, practice, learn practice.

I have nothing to say for artists as that is different from my work. But practice for both.
>>
>>532952
if you are 3d animator I'd reallyy recomend looking into Street Fighter IV and V character animations and how they move, I have never seen such detail in animations almost in any game. just slow down videos and look how characters move, every one of them has theyr own characteristics etc, I really don't know why people are not using that game as refrence to character animation
>>
>>532952
If you made this animation from GIF and you know how to export it in FBX to unity/unreal, you'll be fine, actually drop some contact info, i might have work for you.
>>
>>534306
OP did not make the gif. It was done done by this guy.
http://animatorsteve.weebly.com

I'd be very surprised if anyone on /3/ could actually animate this well.
>>
>>534310
Thats sad.
>>
>>534310
I assumed everybody knew about this guy, and this gif, and this didn't even consider that OP was trying to pass it off as his own.
>>
>>534324
I never saw it.
I was just about to comment how OP was damn good.
>>
>>534306
>>534324
>>534327
OP here. I never tried to pass this off as my own work. What I did is pretty much hot garbage compared to this. I only used this because it's an animation and I'm an animator fresh out of school. My bad if there was any confusion
>>
>>534361
It's not your fault, most people here didn't even consider you the creator of the work. Anon was just going full autistic.
>>
>>532952
Start applying immedieately.
Last I checked from my industry contacts there was a huge need for animators/vfx artists. But that might be UK only.

Also congrats on finishing uni, i just finished mine a few weeks ago.

But yeah keep working on your portfolio, the more non-school work you have the more they'll like you. Go to events and befriend industry people, swap business cards (don't make your business cards anything other than the normal format) and make sure your cover letters and CV's are in order.
>>
>>532952
>>534384

> the more non-school work you have the more they'll like you

seconded, I recently broke into the industry and people repeatedly liked that the majority of my work wasn't school related or directed by someone else.

Don't make your reel longer than it needs to be, a lot of students shove way too much content onto their reel that weakens it just because they're emotionally attached to their old work or their student projects. be objective, if your very best stuff only lasts 40 sec total then cut your reel to that length.

If you're an animator, try to cover these bases in your shots:
- acting
- mechanics
- character interaction
- quadruped
- non human (mechanical or creature)

and if you are aiming for games, some solid cycles are probably a good idea.
>>
>>534614
OP here.
I'm currently working on a lip sync so I'll get to work on a few of those things as well. Thanks a lot guys!
>>
Another guy here.
I finished my studies in both modelling and animation and now I was thinking on building up a nice portfolio.
The thing is, I've only used Maya to work and I have some doubts:

-I got the Student Version, will that handicap me in some way?
-I also had doubts about what to animate, but >>534614 explained it very well, thanks.
-For modelling, should I work on something specific or anything goes?

Also, I've been looking for a page to put it all in and Artstation seemed nice, is it any good or are there better sites?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>532952
Really cool anon, being new in the game I always wonder where did you get the references to do animations like this one.
>>
>>534804
OP here. So far the student version of Maya hasn't been a bitch to me so youre probably fine.
As for something other than artstation, Artella which is more animation and group project oriented and it seems pretty cool. They even offer a free rig, which is what I'm using for my portfolio work.
>>
>>534804
guy you quoted here.

Student version is full featured.
Artstation is nice for modelers, for animators not really. I don't have an artstation, just a vimeo and personal website. Honestly as long as your portfolio/reel is clear it doesn't matter; you will be sending companies that directly anyways. Unless you're interested in getting contacted for freelance in which case Artstation might help your online presence.

For modeling, it depends what you are aiming for. Different industries and companies have different things they like to see. If you know what you are aiming for you can tailor your portfolio more. Otherwise, I'd try to cover a broad range.
>>
>>534872
Didn't know about Artella, but it looks really nice and worth checking out.
>>534964
That's fine, I prefer modelling and I can save my animations elsewhere.

Thank you both, your help is much appreciated.
>>
>>532970
It crazy that you mention street fighter.
My design teacher in highschool and college both used it as examples for great color use, and my girl friends music theory teacher used it as well.
Mark of quality, I suppose.
>>
How do you get this good at buttfucking 3d animation?
>>
>>534310
I can animate this good.

Source: I'm a pro animator
>>
>>537201
show proof then
>>
>>534384
> Last I checked from my industry contacts there was a huge need for animators/vfx artists. But that might be UK only.

Do you perhaps have any source? Or is it from a conversation you had.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.