[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ayyyyyy lmao \3\ This might be more of a /sci/ question because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Untitled.png (190KB, 445x394px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
190KB, 445x394px
ayyyyyy lmao \3\

This might be more of a /sci/ question because it's mathematical, I think, but I'll try here first.

So I want to have planets in my game. Problem is, the engine can't handle the actual scale of planets. So I have to fake it by making the planets like 1/10000 scale (or actually maybe even smaller). But there's something that just doesn't look right. Somehow, the eye can just tell the difference between a large sphere and a small sphere. It has nothing to do with motion. I can see the difference even when the camera is stationary.

So, any idea how to effectively make a small sphere look like a really huge sphere?
>>
File: t.jpg (140KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
140KB, 940x940px
For reference... Here's an actual image of Jupiter. The trick is something in the way the bands curve. They're much flatter in the real image.
>>
>>532340
probably something to do with camera fov
>>
>>532340
OP pic uses a wide angle from a short distance.
this pic is a crop from a telephoto lens picture. it has almost no perspective distortion
>>
>>532342
>>532344
So if I can't change camera FOV (because it would make affect gameplay), how would I fake the effect on a sphere?
>>
if you need to actually orbit the planet, then you can only use actual measurements, there's no way around it.
If the planet is just a background, you can fake it with a painted circle
>>
>>532347
>use actual measurements
Unreal Engine crashes when I do this.
Yeah, I need to actually move around the planet. I guess I'll just go for like 1/1000 scale and hope it's not too noticeable.
>>
File: Sanix Skybox.jpg (616KB, 1434x1325px) Image search: [Google]
Sanix Skybox.jpg
616KB, 1434x1325px
You make a second Camera that renders a miniature background skybox. See as in my picture.

It's fairly common method used in many games.

If you make a miniature Solar System while the player moves 1 Unit the SkyboxCamera that renders the Planets only moves like 0.0000000001 Units or something.

Hope this gives you a vague idea.
>>
>>532357

Also there is a gamedev general on /vg/ to ask game related questions.
>>
>>532357
That's pretty cool. How do you get the skybox to appear behind everything else when it's so close to the camera? Specifically how in UE4 if possible.
>>
>>532368
Fark dude I don't know Unreal, but in Unity you..
1. Have two cameras, one for the regular gameplay and one for the custom Skybox objects
2. You set the Regular Camera to render everything EXCEPT the Skybox objects, and the Skybox Camera to only render the Skybox objects.
3. After that set the Skybox Camera to Render Depth Only and change the render order to render the Skybox Camera behind the Regular Camera.
>>
Jupiter would look like it does in the first picture if you shot it with a very wide angle lens up close in real life. The actual size doesn't matter as it's only the relative dimensions between the object and the lens that affects the perspective.

Think of when physical miniatures and bigatures are used in VFX. It works because they make sure the relative dimensions are correct.
>>
>>532340
>actual image of jupiter

Fucking kek
>>
>>532599
IS it not?
>>
>>532604
No its not nasa has shooped every space image to hide the fact we are actually on a flat earth find me a genuine pic of earth from space
>>
File: Image 005.jpg (181KB, 1570x1011px) Image search: [Google]
Image 005.jpg
181KB, 1570x1011px
>>532934
>find me a genuine pic of earth from space

Here you go anon, the gen-u-ine article right here.
I was in the satellite when I took this, so you have my word that this is real and un-doctored.
>>
I wonder how elite dangerous does the scaling.
>>
>>532934

You can see Jupiter with a hobbyist telescope yourself. Does Nasa project Jupiter with a big ass projector on the nightsky too?
>>
>>533028
They sell telescopes with Jupiter painted on the lens.
>>
>>532934
Why would they do that whats the point ?
>>
File: 317.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
317.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>533047
>>
>>533176
To sell more telescopes.

Don't even get me started on the Globe market.
>>
File: PlanetMask.png (159KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
PlanetMask.png
159KB, 940x940px
You need to make a billboard with a transparent masked texture. Here's a mask made from your reference. Make a new material graph, set BlendMode -> translucent, drag this in and plug it into the opacity pin, drag the texture of jupiter's surface and plug it into the Base Color pin and you have your material. Then make a billboard actor and apply the material.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/HowTo/Transparency/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-_-wPwkgw

If you want it to rotate, make a (really slow) panner for the surface texture. If you want to be able to rotate around and see different sides, use the Object position and Camera Position WS to calculate the angle and use that to "pan" the 2d texture around. If you want to fly to the planet, make the actual planet mesh behind the billboard and fade the billboard when you get close.

Now all you have to do is orbit your billboard actor in the sky and you already have a more advanced game than No Man's Sky.
>>
>I want my game to be in real life scale

holy fuck what's the point? are players really going to have that much fun taking 6 hours to fly around a life-sized Jupiter?
>>
do you need the actual sphere? if not then make a material for a big dome and make the animations of the orbits and the rotation as a material. This way you don't need to worry about FOV shit.
>>
>>532934
>>
Here's a clue: clues
did not stealerino from vsauce noo
>>
>>533866
Daily reminder that Stanley Kubrick was kidnapped by the Church of Scientology to produce more space footage for the Illuminati.
>>
Try kicking up the roughness and adding some subsurf to the planet material (it's supposed to be gaseous), make the light source a smaller size then report back.
>>
>>532339
That lighting is an obvious problem.
As you can see from the NASA picture, Jupiter is practically matte.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.