[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best workflow to create 3D assets for the unreal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: japan3.jpg (91KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
japan3.jpg
91KB, 800x600px
What is the best workflow to create 3D assets for the unreal engine? My plan is to build a city in Blender or Cinema 4D and export it. Then import it to Unreal Engine 4 and build a small game or something. Should I be aware of something?
>>
Yes.

this is an excellent blender to game engines workflow tutorial. there is alot to know and explore. you won't find this type of stuff on youtube

http://3dmotive.com/series/modular-sets-in-blender.html
>>
>>530837
If you have money or if you're a student, I highly suggest Maya. Blender WILL make you want to kill yourself due to its incompatibilities with UE and all the problems that come about when exporting the .fbx. Wonky object sizes, crazy light maps, shadows cast by small objects being 30 times the size of the game world, don't get me started. There's ways to deal with this inside of blender, like changing Blender's scale to the same one as UE but this causes inherent scale issues inside of Blender, the most annoying being that everything is transparent in edit mode 100% of the time and there's no actual way to turn this off because of the way that clipping distance is calculated. Very frustrating indeed.
>>
>>530838
Thanks, I'm going to check that out.

>>530841
I'm a student so Maya is an option. Thanks for your advice. I'm going to try Maya
>>
>>530841
Yeah and going the Cinema 4D way might be as annoying as going with Blender.
Maxon doesn't give a shit about gamedevs.
FBX eporter is trash.
>>
>>530837
You don't build the entire city in your modelling soft and just export it to unreal...you create all the parts separately in your delving soft and build it within unreal...
>>
>>530837
The best approach for modeling city assets would be to create individual
modular assets, that can be reconstructed in UE4.

Personally, I would start by setting up Blender/Cinema 4D to the correct UE4 scale,
then block out the basic structure of the level using bsp brushes in UE4. (this is a
general starting point for most medium to large scale enviroments)

This assures two things, the correct scaling and how much work is needed to be put
into the level. This of course has its advantages and disadvantages, for example; it's
easier to texture smaller module pieces than larger objects (a texture atlas would be used for larger buildings in the distance),
module pieces can also cause light bleeding (due to incorrect lightmaps), this could be solved by
creating a second lightmap channel and not overwriting it in UE4.

Module assets can also be easily recognised by the player (if done incorrectly) this is
most commonly caused by no variance in textures or meshes. Decals work great for
covering up mistakes or tiling meshes/textures. A second aproach would be
to create procedural buildings, this requires more work but eventually pays off in the
final scene. Good luck.
>>
>>531617
>>530837
I highly recommend checking out these links
for more details.

http://polycount.com/discussion/137096/tutorial-hoarders-dump-collage-of-tutorials-hoarded-over-time

https://uk.pinterest.com/niuva/modularity/
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.