[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Employment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1462414529099.jpg (19KB, 345x323px) Image search: [Google]
1462414529099.jpg
19KB, 345x323px
Hey /3/,

I need some help/advice. I just graduated with a B.F.A. and a degree in web dev and multimedia design. I have a lot of skills but none on the professional level yet. About 6 weeks ago I applied to 50+ different companies in the field but haven't gotten an answer since. I'm not entirely sure why and I'm starting to be frustrated vegitating when I could be doing good work for an employer.

What do?
>>
please /3/, somebody must understand or have tips on how to land a job
>>
Got a portfolio?

If you don't have a good website/portfolio you're unhirable
>>
neroacegaming.com

it's my portfolio website. let me know what you think i should change/improve
>>
>>530201

Your website is very unprofessional. Ditch the lets plays and videos. You say you can do a lot of things but you haven't demonstrated any of this on the website in pictures.

If you are doing web deisgn you haven't linked to any example websites you have done.

You should upload the game so employers can play it.

Go on fiveer and design websites for people and build a portfolio dealing with clients will give you experience for a job.
>>
I had a look at the neroacegaming site there and I'm not going to sugar coat this.
It's pretty bloody bad. For starters that intro video was quite cringe worthy, I don't think any employer wants to know your home town was boring and you don't need to (badly) photoshop your head onto Arnolds body. I don't know if that was supposed to be funny, all I thought was "jesus that's a bad shop job." remember you're trying to sell yourself.
You also want to focus on what exactly you are trying to sell yourself as. If you want to show you're a fantastic web designer then get get rid of the horrible 7 minutes of maya footage. I'm a daily maya user and it was painful to watch. Drop it. and furthermore drop the league of autists clip too.
School work is rarely impressive. You need to spend time creating content that is non school related to prove you know your craft and are not just following instructions, when I was first out of uni my reel reeked of school work so i took the time while unemployed to create a reel with nearly no school work in it, and it landed me a nice job. Having a certificate or a bachelors or what have you doesnt mean shit of you are shit.

get to work buddy
>>
I'll take it and start right away. I appreciate the crtiticism. Thank you.
>>
>>530215
>>530208
>>530214
Not OP, but do any of you have any good examples of portfolio websites?
>>
>>530221

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio

That has a lot of good advice. If you mean for game art I woudn't even bother with a website nowadays. Going on artstation will give you far more exposure than a website nobody knows about.
>>
>>530201
you need contacts..
you should've went to gnomon..non of their graduates are left without a job after graduates... they got contacts out the wazoo
>>
>>530311
lol
>>
>>530311
Fuck gnomon, i hate this bullshit bullying

So basically you cant get into the industry unless you go gnomon? I fucking hate this!

Its like you cant be a lawyer unless you go harvard
>>
>>531970
completely re-design your site.
look at other portfolio sites of other webdesigners and 3d artists. they have slick designs and its all packed into 1 page.
also about the asset creation and unity, you might want to create a minigame to demonstrate your skillset into 1 package. if your stronger side is 3D go for a tech demo or renders.
your skillset is most appealing to mobile game developers so try to aim there. either way i don't even know whats your strong/weak sides seems like ur a jack of all trades
>>
>>531970
nah nigga, you can get into the industry just fine with out a photoshopped piece of paper with your name on it.

But you have to truly prove yourself above most if you go that route. School just looks good on a resume and it helps with networking. Shit is still possible to achieve with no school. It's just going to a take a little more creative digging, that's all.
>>
File: 1471851055735.jpg (47KB, 540x477px) Image search: [Google]
1471851055735.jpg
47KB, 540x477px
>>530208
jesus christ get rid of those animated jpg banners
>>
>>530201
That's because a highschooler is cheaper than a graduated, and have the same skills in this kind of field.
>>
File: Oh _.jpg (73KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
Oh _.jpg
73KB, 413x395px
>>530208
>goto page see nothing but crappy low res helmet dude
>expects to "WOW" potential employers with that.

You people are too funny.
>>
>>531970
>>531978

I work in the industry and have no degree. Contacts help a good deal but in OPs case it's obviously because his work was not up to par
>>
>>533681
>Crappy low res helmet dude
You just won the "uncultured 12 year old" award!
>>
>>533847
>Not understanding the intentional delivery in a childlike manner relevant to the description of the webpage
>>
>>530201
Your website is shit and your resume is absolutely awful.
>>
>>533847
you won a big dick in the ass, faggot
>hurr durr muh "12 years" insult
faggot
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.