[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i fell for the modo meme and was using it for a few weeks, i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

i fell for the modo meme and was using it for a few weeks, i just deleted it because it sucks bad

the smallest things will set you back:

> literally cannot move a vertex or poly to a set location in space in relation from 0,0,0. i was planning on modeling my apartment and it was impossible to make exact measurements ( modo forum defense force says the reason behind this is that it isn't a scene creator, it's strictly a modeler, which makes no fuckin sense )

> no easy way to just turn on hard edges. for a sphere you have to edit the material assigned to the sphere and turn smoothing to 0, for box modeling you need to edit vertex weight. have a box and a sphere? you need to edit each respective object each way as i described

> i could NOT assign two different materials to two different selections of polys, even after copying and pasting them into separate groups, would assign whatever texture i had highlighted to both groups. this is probably something simple but i'm fucking done skimming through 10 videos to find out i need to click 10 more times in the program for something milkshape could do in one step

> program crashes all the time, feels like its in beta
>>
are you sure that the case? have you posted questions in forums?

what do you mean can't move a a vertices's in space? there is window that tells you the location of the vertices's?
>>
>>529931
There is a window that shows location of verts but it's in relation to the center of the object you're editing, so it's useless
>>
File: homer_court.png (221KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
homer_court.png
221KB, 512x384px
>>529917
I remember trying one of the very first beta releases of Modo years and years ago. It liked to crash a lot. Doesn't sound like much has changed, since you always here about how buggy the program is.
Also some of what you wrote reminds me of the archaic nonsense that is Lightwave. No proper support for smoothing groups/vertex normals. In 2016. Seriously, what the fuck.
>>
geometry : polygon : set smoothing group.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.02.50).png (106KB, 1030x699px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.02.50).png
106KB, 1030x699px
There is a plugin for working with vertex normals, must have for MODO
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=83&t=77919
It's really good, so good they bought it and now its a part of MODO 10.

Not sure whats up with materials, you just make a selection, press M and assign your material, pic took me 2 seconds to make.

When it comes to crashes - they usually fuck up their newest releases, so if you just get something like modo 9 with all service packs installed is should be good.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.18.35).png (165KB, 1051x714px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.18.35).png
165KB, 1051x714px
>>530126
As for exact measurements - just setup your units to metric system, turn on grid snapping on go on from that, its very easy.

Like let's say you need a table base that is 1.5 x 2.2 x 0.1 m - you just type those and here you have your table base with those measurements.
And snapping allows for percise editing and moving it around.
>>
>>530127
MODO has huge flaws, but ones you specified aren't the ones. It's just your inabilty to learn how to properly use it.
I guess lack of guides (compared to other software) and horrible official forums aren't helping.
On other hand it's not that hard and to figure everything out and when you do its really fast and comfortable to work with. As long as you keep it within geometry field.
>>
>>530126
>>530127
This UI looks almost as bad as Blender's desu
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.33.45).png (368KB, 1918x1037px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-22+at+04.33.45).png
368KB, 1918x1037px
>>530129
I just pulled down the window to not take huge ass screenshots but here how it looks fullscreen, and this is just default one, you can fully customize it.
Also if you're acessing MODO's tools from UI you're wasting your time, you can and should setup hotkeys and pie menus for everything. That's why modo can be really fast.
>>
>>530130
>I just pulled down the window to not take huge ass screenshots but here how it looks fullscreen, and this is just default one, you can fully customize it.
>Also if you're acessing MODO's tools from UI you're wasting your time, you can and should setup hotkeys and pie menus for everything. That's why modo can be really fast.
So exactly like Blender?
RIP modo
>>
>>530141
Yeah, it was like blender 2.0 for me when I switched to it from blender some time ago.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.