[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I'm working in Maya 2014, did this torso and arm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: shading_mesh_problem.png (661KB, 1224x2856px) Image search: [Google]
shading_mesh_problem.png
661KB, 1224x2856px
Hey guys. I'm working in Maya 2014, did this torso and arm separately and merged the two so that none of the vertexes overlapped. I'm still getting these weird shadows on my mesh and I don't know how to get rid of them or make the mesh look better, and I've tried soften edge as well. I've also got this problem down the chest of this guy as well.

Also, are there any good fixes for the mess of mesh that I managed to come up with on the armpit area? I couldn't find a good way to connect these two things on my own, I'm sure I'm missing something though.
>>
>>529876
I don't use Maya but a seam like that is indicative of there being an issue with how the shading is being interplolated across the mesh. In this case, it doesn't appear to actually be connected at the right vertices. I see you have a bunch of triangle faces there which are known to cause problems but I don't know if that's that's the issue. Is there a way for you to remove overlapping vertices with a button or command like you can in Blender?
>>
Did you just attach the arm to the solid body as-is or did you leave holes on both parts and "weld" the holes together?
>>
File: insidearm.png (237KB, 1230x1320px) Image search: [Google]
insidearm.png
237KB, 1230x1320px
>>529892
Here's a shot of what it looks like from the inside. I don't (to my knowledge) have any faces inside this thing that are being unused, it's just outline at this point.

Every single vertice should be connected, and everything's merged into one shape, unless there's something I missed.
>>
>>529894
It's not the faces that you need to worry about. When joining vertices, are you getting rid of the overlapping ones?
>>
File: whytho.png (161KB, 1226x1562px) Image search: [Google]
whytho.png
161KB, 1226x1562px
>>529895
The way I've been checking to see if verts are overlapping is by clicking once and dragging, and if it looks weird just ctrl + z and kind of going from there. Otherwise I'll just do the marque drag tool to select the area and do merge vertices. I'm not sure if there's a better way to check other than that.

He's a much simpler version of what I believe to be the same problem. I just extracted some of the problematic polys for this.
>>
>>529896
So Maya has no way to automatically find and remove overlaps?
>>
File: fixedmaybe.png (591KB, 1212x2900px) Image search: [Google]
fixedmaybe.png
591KB, 1212x2900px
>>529898
I mean, you can just drag select all of the vertices and merge them through a menu option. Not sure what you mean besides that.

I think I figured this out. Somehow, the normals of the torso got flipped around, so even though they were all softened, it seems like the lighting was hitting at different angles. I figured this out by unchecking "use twosided lighting", selecting all the black faces, reversing the normals, then softening the edges.

At this point, I think I just need to get my topology better so it actually comes out looking better. Not sure if anything else needs to be fixed after that for improvement.
>>
>>529902
Cool. Glad you got it sorted.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.