[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an UE4 vs. Unity thread? Which one is more efficient/graphically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: UE4-vs-Unity.jpg (80KB, 1001x675px) Image search: [Google]
UE4-vs-Unity.jpg
80KB, 1001x675px
Can we have an UE4 vs. Unity thread?

Which one is more efficient/graphically superior for mobile?
>>
>>529166
Neither
>>
>>529168
Then what do you suggest
>>
unity is low quality - easier on GPU
ue4 is better quality - harder on GPU

use whichever suits your needs best
>>
File: adam unity.jpg (46KB, 980x420px) Image search: [Google]
adam unity.jpg
46KB, 980x420px
>>529172
mfw when
>unity is low quality

I don't know shit about Unity nor UE4 but I find this Unity demo really impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA
>>
>>529172
How does licensing work for Unity? I undertsnad there is the free version, and the pro version. Do I need the pro version for commercial use?

I know with UE4 you don't need to pay unless you make enough money over a certain threshold, is Unity the same?
>>
File: 3InYg4X[1].jpg (972KB, 2996x1583px) Image search: [Google]
3InYg4X[1].jpg
972KB, 2996x1583px
>>529174
It's quite low quality really. Most of those stuff is made with outsourced assets and it still doesn't have features like SSRR, a proper AOS, inbuilt MB, PPCC effects, DOF and many other things that come with UE4

>>529176
I'm not sure about licensing but as far as I know, if you gained a certain profit like above 500K, you need unity subscription. You can't just buy Unity, you need to have had subscribed to it. It's wierd like that to be honest, UE4 has a better system for licensing.

Nevertheless, both UE4 and U5 is pretty good. Unity is better for indie games with a simple structure, is more platform friendly and easier to prototype with but if you're going to make a next gen blockbuster game it's UE4 all the way.
>>
>>529177
So, as someone new to game developing, and basically working by myself, would Unity be more accessible? And would the licensing differences in UE4 outweigh Unity's accessibility?
>>
>>529178
Don't bother with licensing if you're an indie dev. Both are equally accessible.
>>
I haven't used Unreal so I can't speak for that, but the reason I went with Unity is the massive amount of documentation and tutorials available.

If you're experienced, make your choice based on tech and capability, but if you're a newcomer, Unity seems to be more friendly.
>>
>>529174
>thinking assets determine the quality of the engine
>>
>>529187
But wasn't UE was around longer?
>>
in the long run you'll regret not going with UE4

it's not hard to learn scripting
>>
>>529196
You'd think that because UE was around for a long ass time it wouldn't have such shit documentation or tutorials.
>>
>>529196
>>529240
UDK came before Unreal 4 and it had very little documentation compared to Unity. No one liked to give up secrets for UDK a lot of the time, I know I didn't. Unity however had a bustling community filled to the brim, and didn't take as much computer specifications as UDK. Come along UE4, and we now have a new engine actually building a large community.

In my personal opinion UE4 you can make much more graphical fidelity with a much easier time, but Unity is not a bad engine in itself. I'm sure a pro could turn it into a very nice looking engine, though ground displacement sort of sucks in Unity.

Unreal 4 for higher graphical projects
Unity for indie such as mobile or lower graphics

There is a reason we have these stereotypes for these engines.
>>
>>529264
and what about the blueprint system in UE4? Doesnt it ease up the process for an artist when it comes to "coding" ,I believe its limited but it seems capable of some very well functioning things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32uH1Hq9rM
>>
>>529172
>Unity is easier on the GPU

Best joke I've heard 2016, Unity is disproportionately hard on the GPU for the 2004 graphics it's regularly used for.
>>
>>529166
>superior for mobile?
I'd say Unity. You really have to have a pretty good reason to not use it for mobile. Loads of successful mobile stuff made with it.. even Pokemon Go.

For desktop, well it's up to you. I prefer Unity, but I like sane workflow and C#. They are both very capable, but IMO, Unity is easier to get to grips with, massively documented.

In UE I couldn't even find basic tutorials for using C++ with it. Fuck your blueprints, mang
>>
>>529270
UE4 Blueprints is great. People show huge graphs and a clusterfuck of lines and nodes but that's not always the case. People have released full games with decent complexity made entirely in Blueprints and many of them have said it's a lifesaver.

That being said Blueprints can also be terribly clusterfuck, but a lot of the time, that's on the user themselves. It's good and effective, but if you can C++ efficiently just use that as it's in reality the better.
>>
>>529177
>I'm not sure about licensing but as far as I know, if you gained a certain profit like above 500K, you need unity subscription. You can't just buy Unity, you need to have had subscribed to it. It's wierd like that to be honest, UE4 has a better system for licensing.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

>profit above 500K
It's 100K

>you need unity subscription
No, you buy the $1500 permanent license for that version of unity, or you go with the retarded subscriber option which is $75 a month for a year but access to the latest version of unity

>You can't just buy Unity, you need to have had subscribed to it.
No, you can just buy Unity. When you buy Unity you buy that version of unity. If they upgrade from 4.x to 5.x then you have to rebuy 5.x. The subscriber option is that you continuously pay for the latest version.

So if you make a PC game, after you make over 100K, you have to buy the PC license for $1500, and then you're done.

UE4
>UE4 is free to use, with a 5% royalty on gross product revenue after the first $3,000 per game per calendar quarter from commercial products
>>
Unity has some wierd pivot problems that cant seem to be solved.They call it transform or something like that and its bassicaly uneditable.
Made me switch go Vulkan
>>
>>529624
>Vulkan

I keep hearing this, what is it?
>>
>>529624
>comparing unity to vulkan
>>529632
Graphics API that's not an alternative for Unity, but rather for OpenGL and Direct3D.
>>
>>529387
>tutorials for using C++ with it
Get a CS degree, you lazy fuck.
>>
;^)
>>
File: OpenGL_logo_(Nov14).svg.png (7KB, 220x91px) Image search: [Google]
OpenGL_logo_(Nov14).svg.png
7KB, 220x91px
>using engines
>inb4 "using APIs"
>>
>>529240
Almost anything can be found on the UE4 answers site, plenty of examples for easy headstart.
>>
>>529387
They certainly exist... Look harder.

>>530590
>4 years of data-structure trivia and wheel-reinvention practice
>to use an engine

Yep, only archwizards can understand C syntax and a well documented codebase
>>
>>531558
Can those archwizards write code that won't run like shit? Most likely. Can someone who have no idea what he's doing?
>>
>>531560
That was me 6 months ago, you can learn so much faster by 'JUST DOING IT' rather than working from abstract examples and lectures.
>>
>>531562
I disagree, to an extent. You can get things done faster by doing it, but not having solid fundamentals is a surefire way of writing bad quality code.
>>
>>531563
just get a book
>>
I prefer UE4, so I recommend you fuckers all use Unity
>>
>>529166
UE4 has a higher resolution budget with meshes/textures.

Unity has less optimization capability because C# is shit.

Take your pick, but I doubt anybody will be able to tell the difference.
>>
>>529170
If you don't know a shit from programing and only want to do an fps go with UE4.

If you are fapping for source codes and want to costumize every single shit in your game go with Unity.
>>
>>529166
>unity store characters: shitload of cute chicks, most of them with nude shaders
>ue4 store characters: men and monsters
Guess it's answer every question.
>>
>>529166
Here's a question

What can you make better money with selling shit on the markets? Not asking for ideas what to sell, but which one gets more use do you think?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.