[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What schools did you guys go to to learn this stuff? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: Dontstop.gif (18KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
Dontstop.gif
18KB, 125x125px
What schools did you guys go to to learn this stuff? I can't figure out if some of these schools are just cash grabbers or wtf is going on. The only schools I'm certain of are SCAD and some New York film school. I live in Ga though and SCAD seems like the only option but it costs soooooooo much money.
>>
>>528359

No school. They can only provide a computer and little time. Artistry is a lifelong personal journey. Just spend the money on a good computer and go on cg Persia and download a bunch of torrents or support people on gumroad.
>>
>>528359
>school
You can find everything online nowadays. If you don't have enough money to buy all that, some pirates at the shore might help you out.
>>
>>528359
School is for making connections and if you don't have the discipline to learn yourself.

If you're going to a literally who school and paying tens of thousands you are getting scammed. Otherwise, go for it.
>>
>>528359
SCAD is really generous if you don't suck, and isn't a scam, a lot of good people came from there. Lots of bad work from there too as they accept easily, but that doesn't make it a bad place. Didn't go there btw.

If you're poor go to a cheap normal art school and teach yourself, or go to a cheap school for something else.
>>
>>528404

i cannot stress this enough
>>
This thread is bad until now: I think OP wants to know where these people come from who say "where Im working at , ..." or "I work at [.O=] and your modeling skills are shit" and post this all over /3/
>>
>>528359
A school isn't mean to teach you 3d skill
but you will learn how to treat request, use a budget and stuff like that
>>
>>528359
No school. Learned it all on the internet.
>>
>>528404
>>528420
>>528434
>>528458
>>528570
>>528573
Whats with all the school hate?
>>
http://4archive.org/board/3/thread/498095

new day same thread
>>
>>528359
Never trust the first few posts OP, these are ALWAYS made by australian shitposters.

Gnomon or Fullsail are both very good, what makes them good is that they have connections in the industry and are a name people know.

If you can, you should pirate the Gnomon DVDs and do as much of them as you can before you go to school (any school).
>>
>>528359
You don't need school. This art can be self-taught with observation and persistence. Each crappy model you build will carry, with it, small lessons to take through your journey to perfection.
>>
>>528359
I went to a shitty community college to learn the basics, and then a shitty university to continue learning. Most places that offer 3D courses don't set out to rip you off but still sort of have the same effect just by being not that great or tailored to retards who haven't touched a PC prior to attempting the course.
>>
>>528359
I went to school, got taught by professional and well known 3d and 2d artists, go networked, got internships at AAA studios, got freelance projects and improved faster than I would've when doing it alone. Not to meniton befriending all the teatchers.

It was rough and hard and very stressfull but the school was very well worth paying a years wage in tuition.
>>
>>528624
people who are salty that employers pick people who went to school with better portfolio over them.
>>
>>528359
I went to SCAD and can honestly say most people just dropped out after the first two years. The programs are hit and miss but you're really only paying for connections and from what I've seen with everyone I graduated with, only the ones who came with their foot in the door are successful. Nothing to do with the school.
>>
>>528754
>only the ones who came with their foot in the door are successful.

elaborate more and on the school in general
>>
>>528359
A proper school is supposed to teach you the basics and introduce you to all the diffrent fields that exist in the CG world. I am from india and i leared from Toonz animation school. The program was only one year long which I personally hated.But they started from the very basics, the tradition hand drawn animation and worked our way up to maya. This involved learing to draw each frame of a 1 sec animation of bacis stiff like ball bounce, pendulum, a boat n fisherman in a wave ect. This may sound stupid but trust me, I thank god theybmade me do all that basic stuff coz thats when you really recognise where your skills are, my drawings where shit but the actual animation and flow was really good whichbis why my mentor suggested i try animation coz i have a good instinct with animation. We then did animation in flash, graphics in illustrator and photoshop. Then moved on to interior modelling in 3dx max and the modelling, rigging, animation and rendering in maya. This is the best way to learn IMO. Right from the basics, we even had figures drawing where eachnof us would take an mid-action pose and the whole class would make a quick 1 min sketch. These guys here say you can learn everything on your own but learing under a teacher will make it dozen times better and faster. Of course there are a lot of cash grab schools oit there so watch out. For me i payed the USD value of 1800$ for my tuition alone.
>>
>>528674
Are the gnomo dvds available in cgpeers? I have an account...
>>
>>528789

If you have an account, why not just search for yourself?
>>
>>528359

Youtube and experience. You will be fucking TERRIBLE, but if you don't give up, you will succeed.
>>
4 years of listening teachers showcasing youtube tutorials and shitton of self learning
>>
File: 1360251956627.jpg (73KB, 524x468px) Image search: [Google]
1360251956627.jpg
73KB, 524x468px
>>528624
schools are notorious for offering people dreams for 2 years and 100k. you have to have a good understanding of the basics to do well otherwise youll graduate as an intermediate faggot with no real talent. people who go to school to get a degree under belt are met with about a year of gen eds and basic intro classes that get pretty old pretty fast. since all colleges that offer 3d degrees are for profit, credits dont transfer when you find out that most instructors are dropouts from the industry or just people who dont know what theyre doing. Ive been to the art institute and got a settlement out of them for not having an up to par game design course and now at fullsail which inst too different but at least Im learning better stuff than I did at AI. the kicker is that you can basically get the same information from these colleges from lynda or digital tutors. my advice is just do your own thing and use your time to work on what you want to be good at. if you are going to school dont expect to come out an expert it is all about what you put into it
>>
>>528624
Waste of time and money
>>
>>529081
spoken like a true NEET
>>
>schools
>$40k tuition to have a guy who read books to tell you to read those same books
>>
>>528359
School is good for networking and for those who just truly need someone to coddle them. Even though half the time you will indeed have to do much self learning. School can get you an easier time for a job, degrees are nice. But in reality you can become amazing at home, the internet holds a fortitude of knowledge.

Whatever you choose, just know one is more costly and will require networking and cooperation, alongside a lot of money. The other will involve the ever creeping procrastination from yourself because there are no deadlines, and the possibility of never truly breaking into the industry. Speaking as a option two guy, it worked out quite well for me, but I know both have their positives and their negatives.
>>
>>529661
>the internet holds a fortitude of knowledge.
Dude...
>>
>>529662
fortune* fucking tired man
>>
>>529661
hey I'm someone who dropped out of school to self-learning after school became way too expensive for what it was offering me. I'm now close to the point where I'm gonna apply to some studios and I'm going to siggraph this year as well (I live close)

do you have any tips? I mean besides always trying to improve the portfolio of course. it seems way harder to network, although I have it better than you, but almost all of my connections are still students, since I left school early. did you message artists off of websites or recruiters on linkedin and shit? is that kind of stuff worth the effort or did you just focus on making the work good?
>>
File: dkface.jpg (27KB, 188x359px) Image search: [Google]
dkface.jpg
27KB, 188x359px
I'm not great by any means, but I did my research on schools before deciding to do it as a hobby while going to an actual accredited college. Majority of them seemed cash-grabby to me, as well.

As >>529661 said, by learning on your own, your chances of actually working on things, networking, etc won't be that great. But at the very least I can do this as a hobby, or maybe get paid by some idiot to make a quick model. I hope to be able to work at a reputable place in the future, but I'm not banking on it.
Life is weird and confusing as hell. Regardless of what you choose to do, make sure you have back up plans upon back up plans.
>>
>>528359
Its all bullshit to me even on social media the non stop shilling of places like gnomon, who can actually afford that shit? Its really unfair because rich kids dont even care about this shit
>>
>>528434
Disagree school can help with problems also and gives you examples of what work life really is, you cant just make connections by having an art station it doesnt work like that
>>
>>528969
I hear what your saying but i have nothing and am literally working as a wage slave im moving back home so i can go uni this is my last chance but i think a degree will help i pick up things fast and am dedicated. What things are you learning now? Ive been looking at digital tutors but not sure its worth in case i get stuck
>>
>>528359
everybody here is shit, why would you ask them?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.