[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Horror robot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: TERMINATOR-GENISYS-14-1940x1288.jpg (475KB, 1940x1288px) Image search: [Google]
TERMINATOR-GENISYS-14-1940x1288.jpg
475KB, 1940x1288px
Do you think it's possible to model a better horror robot than the original t-800 terminator? I often think about trying to make one as hard surface modeling tools have become faster and Hollywood has destroyed the terminator franchise.

Attempts to make new terminators in newer movies have been terrible, though some of that is because it was no longer a horror movie.

I can never decide where to start, is a metal human skeleton always going to be the most unnerving robot for people? The T-600 was the only decent attempt at a different design but it was just a bulkier terminator with slightly less human anatomy. Or would a less skeletal robot with a more deformed human anatomy be a better starting point?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
6KB, 480x360px
>>
File: Furio Tedeschi Terminator.jpg (326KB, 1186x936px) Image search: [Google]
Furio Tedeschi Terminator.jpg
326KB, 1186x936px
Yes.
>>
>>526704
>>526705
>>526706

Childish and cheap having the red eyes. Same with matrix. Doesn't look menacing & scary to a soldier fighting them, looks like a target.

Matrix drones are guilty of the same. Whatever your design is no fucking neons. Just imagine what a joke Jason Voorhees would look like should they've made his eyes glowing red.
>>
>>526707
red light coming out of where theres supposed to be camera doesn't make sense or add anything for me as well. But this terminator >>526706 has a badass form and it would make a much more threatening villain for genisys rather than that autistic crap.
>>
>>526704
>I can never decide where to start, is a metal human skeleton always going to be the most unnerving robot for people?

Horror relies on triggering people's natural reactions to viewing bodily dysfunction and harm.

Whether that's seeing organs, muscle, teeth, stretched limbs, disjointed fingers, exposed eyeballs, oozing sores, (or things that mimic or approximate all of that), that's what it comes down to aesthetically.

So ask yourself what would a robot version of all that shit look like and you'll have an answer to the OP question
>>
>>526707
In my eyes the red makes it far more menacing than without it. How is it childish if grown men made the decision to make the eyes red? also jason with red eyes would be terrifying, as if he is a demon with his pure hell energy is emitting from his eyes.
>>
>>526710
>has a badass form and it would make a much more threatening villain for genisys rather than that autistic crap.
This one is too busy for me. CG led to strange looking robots with excessive parts in modern movies. Making models by hand seems to force them to make more functional looking designs.

But then you have the issue the T-800 has aged a bit, you can tell it was what a person in the 1980s thinks a robot should look like. The hydraulics are crude and most people would notice many parts do not look protected against small arms.

I don't know why horror themed robots become unpopular they pretty much stopped after the 1990s before CG got good enough. Most of the post 2000 ones are goofy organic looking things.
>>
>>526717
>I don't know why horror themed robots become unpopular they pretty much stopped after the 1990s before CG got good enough. Most of the post 2000 ones are goofy organic looking things.

Portal came out and everybody realized that the robot that'll eventually murder us all wont look like a T-800, it'll probably look more like an iPhone.
>>
Boston Dynamics robots are pretty scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
>>
>>526711
>Horror relies on triggering people's natural reactions to viewing bodily dysfunction and harm.

I don't know if it works the same way with robots. I think the perception of how much damage it can do and how hard it is to destroy is a stronger factor than when modeling monsters.

A good example would be some ultra-liberal getting hysterical over seeing some black rifle with tactical crap on it. The object isn't scary on an instinctual level like monsters but they have conditioned themselves to fear it due to the perception of danger.
>>
As far as scary robots are concerned this scene captures what it's all about. Vicerally it's not so much about the visuals as it's about sound and motion.
I think >>526721 is on the precise right track with factoring in how unstoppable and leathal the machine seem to be.
It's the horror of going toe to toe with what amounts to a indoor tank that is the biggest scare factor with terminator and co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4
>>
File: latest.png (1MB, 1200x805px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
1MB, 1200x805px
>>526704
>>526724

And for the visceral horror robot I think HR Giger got down the right track with the original source material for alien, where the mechanical factor of bio-mech was more apparent.
Some mech heavy more believable bio-mech type creature is probably the best 'movie monster' type robot that can be made.
>>
>>526725
looks like a benis coming out of the head and a benis coming from the torso
>>
>>526726
That is correct, Giger was deep into genitalia and thought that monster dicks and pussies was the scariest shit there was because it made a monster of something that attracted us sexually.

So therefore the xenomorph of alien fame have a dick head and the equally famous facehugger is a spider legged vagina that rapes people orally.
>>
>>526728
he was a hack that drew dicks. Poor anatomy, the only gud thing is the dark bitcrushed shading style
>>
>>526729
He established bio-mech as a wide-spread art style and is the designer of some of the most influential movie creatures of all time.
Think our moronic opinions about his artistic accomplishments weights pretty lightly in the grand balance of things anon.
>>
>>526704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bmTNadhJE
>>
>>526729
It's easy to call people hacks when you can't achieve anything yourself
>>
>>526704
I feel like the presence of the Terminator has everything to do with how people react to it.

If you had it walking in a way that seems natural to humans, then it loses a lot of it's spook factor.
But when you have it move with purpose, and no extraneous movements apart from those designed to fuck you up in the worst way possible, then you have the spook factor. Every movement of the Terminator is meant to kill humans in the most efficient way possible.
That motive is definitely carried out in the way it moves. The footsteps are heavy and deliberate, scanning the horizon is a constant sweeping motion, even aiming a weapon is instant and snappy, ready to shoot the moment the crosshairs intersect with it's target.

I think the way it acts has everything to do with it's spook. The fucking human teeth on a robot that doesnt eat adds to it.

Plus, why the fuck would a robot even take a human physique if it's designed to kill people. There's that extra factor of psychology right there. Surely there'd be something more efficient (technically there are in universe though).

TL:DR - The way the robot moves fucks with people on a basic level.
>>
>>526777
> The fucking human teeth on a robot that doesnt eat adds to it.
wasn't that part of its disguise to blend in before it gets torn off eventually?
>>
>>526777
>>526794
>>526704
What if the terminator didn't have that artificially grown flesh and instead had to flay a victim and wear their skin as a disguise, periodically replacing it as the previous skin began to rot or the skin of someone the target trusts became available?

Would add in an "invasion of the body snatchers" vibe.
>Are Greg's clothes really bloody because he was "wounded"? Does Lisa's voice only sound flat because she is "tired"?

Whatever the design, remember that the core of the Terminator's scariness is its implacability- it doesn't eat or sleep, so every time you do, you are giving it time to catch up. It can't be scared off or wounded the way a person or animal might. It's like the thing from "it follows" but faster, smarter, stronger, resistant to almost all damage, and of course, no-one will believe you if you tell them about it.
>>
>>526712
>pure hell energy

Bruh
>>
>>526794
The terminator in the OP is just your run of the mill death squad type of terminator. Soldiers and the like. Not the infiltration type.
Which only adds to the fact as to why the fuck would he need human teeth.
>>
>>526707
"wah, i dont like red eyes, i hate all of you for that"
go back to /pol/
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.