[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automatic rigging tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: this_isnt_even_my_final_form.jpg (114KB, 654x762px) Image search: [Google]
this_isnt_even_my_final_form.jpg
114KB, 654x762px
Whats your opinion about scripts that let your automatically rig a character? Im watching this video demostration and Im seriously amazed. Do movie studios use this kind of technology for their models?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLzCSzfQe8A

Also do auto-rigs work so well? The tutorial for this tool is 12 videos long and implementing it looks more a hassle than anything else, but the facial rig is super powerful.
>>
>>525956
yeah, auto-rig are a really useful tool.

As you work your way through learning advanced setups you'll notice recurring control patterns (FK/IK switch, noodle limbs, zippers and so on) that require a bunch of extra control bones and, at the same time, you can set up very mechanically by following recipes, ie it's always duplicate those bones, place a bone at the root of each other bone and so on, that can really take ages to set up.

So long term it's well worth automatizing them since that'll save you tons of menial work. There's other benefits too due to how it standardizes rigs including controls and bone names, making it really easy to map poses and animations from one character to the other or how animators will have consistent controls to work with at all times.

It's used in movie studios, yes. There's a siggraph paper somewhere about Disney's modular auto-rigging system though I can't find it right now.
>>
the vast vast vast majority of people using auto rigs they download and dont write themselves dont understand 3d well enough to produce anything thats worth looking at for more than 10 seconds

if you dont write your own tools you have a 99.999% chance of being bad at this
>>
>>525963
Well put. On a side note, this is where computer science and art comes together, and there are plenty of technical art jobs in the industry (at least here in LA) just looking for people who enjoy aspects like scripting and speeding up workflow through proprietary tools.
>>
File: Ghillie_02.jpg (29KB, 560x544px) Image search: [Google]
Ghillie_02.jpg
29KB, 560x544px
>>525956
Most of the time used by lazy retards who have no idea how rigs even remotely work.
Used to be one of them.

People wouldn't download a pre-made character from the internet because 'muh creativity'. But at the same time don't give a rats ass and just shove in any pre-made rig in there instead of designed a rig specifically made to the needs of their character.
Last year I worked in a student group project and had to defend this opinion against a fucking teacher who blamed me for delaying the project.
It makes me sick.

3D is a craft and rigging is part of it.
If you have not even the slightest idea how to rig then you're most likely a fucking clown that shouldn't be doing 3D in the first place
>>
>>525984
To get back to auto-rigs. They're a great tool that actual riggers could script to speed up their work. Let's say putting all the joints and corrresponding controls into a hand quickly.
Should probably never use a full body autorig unless you work with several very similar characters.
>>
File: baneder.jpg (466KB, 623x795px) Image search: [Google]
baneder.jpg
466KB, 623x795px
When autodesk is ashes, you have my permission to die
>>
>>525984
I compromise and build my own auto rigs.
>>
>>525985
> full body autorig unless you work with several very similar characters
The way it works in the industry is you get modular autoriggers, like Disney's dRig. Basically the metarig's bones follow a naming convention so the autorigger will know what kind of module to run, like this is an arm, this is a leg, an eye, a spine, etc so you can rig some very outlandish bodies with the autorigger. Whatever doesn't fit the existing modules the rigger will leave alone for you to finish.

Blender's rigify also works that way, so you can actually use it to rig a four armed character or whatever.
>>
File: 1455920264123.jpg (27KB, 353x353px) Image search: [Google]
1455920264123.jpg
27KB, 353x353px
>>526027
>The way it works in the industry is you get modular autoriggers
>the industry meme
>>
>>526057
so you're going to ignore him because he said your trigger word? Grow up
>>
>>526004
>When autodesk is ashes
it has been 20 years since the first 3ds max.
GOOD FUCKING LUCK.
>>
There's some really freat auto-riggers for Maya out there, but has anyone found an auto-rigger for Max that doesn't suck ass?
>>
>>526094
just do it in maya lol
>>
>>526095

More comfortable in Max than I am in Maya
>>
>>526096
get used to it lol
>>
>>526098

I'd honestly like to, but do you have any tips how on how to avoid getting lost in the endless sea of nodes? I've built a complex rig for a character but it's got to the point where i'm losing shit either in the outliner or in the node editor. I'm like, huh what is controlling the root of this hair chain?

OK i'll click the hair mesh, mmk its using nhair01, now i've selected that what the hell is controlling the origin point.. nope it's nowhere in the node editor nor the list of connected nodes on the right of the screen. *digs in outliner for a while* oh it's controlled by this follicle node that doesn't seem to be connected to anything, ok then.
>>
>>526103
> nodes
You don't use nodes in Maya rigging. Atleas you don't have to. Just use the rigging tools though, modelling is still a job for Max
>>
>>526057
OP asks about movie studios so if you thought answers would leave that unaddressed you're a silly man.
>>
>>526106
stop shitposting
>>
>>526110
u jelly cause you don't know anything about the industry? Don't worry, you may yet grow up eventually.
>>
>>526096
There was one I saw on CGTalk once a few years ago that was pretty decent but I can't remember the name...search 3dsmax subforum for auto rig
>>
>>525956
all decent riggers working at a professional level use their own set of automated tools
>>
>>526104
fuck off retard. Nodes are the best. If you don't know how to use nodes you can't be a good rigger because you have to find a work-around for everything
>>
>>526208
> implying nodes are a part of rigging
learn what nodes are retard
>>
>>526209
redpill ?
>>
>>526209
Don't be fucking dense. Why build a parent constraint when you can link translate directly into the object you want using the Node Editor.

Most things can be done without using Nodes but that's still like trying to lace your shoes with duct tape.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.