[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do 90% of indie devs go for Unity vs Unreal Engine 4? Not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 19

File: Unity-Engine.jpg (23KB, 600x270px) Image search: [Google]
Unity-Engine.jpg
23KB, 600x270px
Why do 90% of indie devs go for Unity vs Unreal Engine 4? Not hating on Unity, just curious its advantages vs disadvantages vs UE4
>>
Because Unity is documented to hell and back with even TONS of printed media about this matter.

Also for some reason most think UE is harder to master than Unity.
Personally I felt instantly comfortable with UE.
>>
Unity has a friendlier interface, runs much smoother since UE4 is clunky and you have to wait for minutes after pressing every button, Unity builds are compatible with every platform out there. Unity allows different types of scripting language that any coder can find a spot to fit in. Unity has a bigger community, bigger asset market and developer feedback
>>
>>524558
>and you have to wait for minutes after pressing every button

I use a shitty i3 from 2013 + GTX750Ti and never encountered this problem.

Are you using a calculator?
>>
>>524559
Nope, I use i7 with GTX970. I use 4K textures and complex terrain materials, which always hangs me for a minute after importing or making a tiny modification. I don't even wanna talk about the build waiting times.

Are you just making reflective spheres ?
>>
File: 132416878768.gif (973KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
132416878768.gif
973KB, 500x240px
>>524561
>4K textures
>>
File: 111[1].gif (1MB, 285x212px) Image search: [Google]
111[1].gif
1MB, 285x212px
>>524562
> not using 4K textures
>>
>>524556
I personally use it because the asset store, easier to compile projects, and you don't have to use the gay Epic launcher.
>>
there are no advantages

the reason some people still use unity is because they're used to it since it was the only feasible indie platform before ue4

also that 90% figure sounds pretty made up it's probably more like 50/50 these days
>>
>>524568
Its definitely not 50/50, but its definitely not 10/90 either. I'd say Unity was the major tool the almost all indie devs used aside from a few chickenshit indies that use pleb-tier shit like game-maker or some 2d shit.

Some people who want better graphics switched to UE4 and make things like Rocket League and some other nice stuff. But people who want an easier flow for working and building sticks with Unity. Thats about it.
>>
>>524571
As the community help in UE4 grows to match Unitys, so will its developer base. Unity doesn't have the same requirements as UE4 so there will always be a plateau but it's probably somewhere at 70-30 or 60-40.
>>
File: image01_crop[1].png (546KB, 793x457px) Image search: [Google]
image01_crop[1].png
546KB, 793x457px
>>524573
Dunno about that. Unity is already adapting the high-end features like ScreenSpace Raytraced Reflections and volumetric GI grids in the upcoming updates. It's also adding new elements like Dual Quaternion skinning and few other game mechanics improvements that are rare to game engines.
I'm not saying that Unity is gonna stump UE4 as in UE4 looks amazing already, but as user database goes, theres a big competition between them and Unity has more advantage.
>>
>>524556
Because Unity allows shitty devs to use C# and JS, both of them the Jar Jar Binks of programming.
>>
>>524574
yawn, all that is old shit.

> It's also adding new elements like Dual Quaternion skinning and few other game mechanics improvements that are rare to game engines.
yawn, old
>>
>>524602
I can see that you're not around this board and you got no clue what I just said there.
>>
>>524603
>
>>
>>524604
thanks for proofing my point :^D
>>
File: 1445289187245.jpg (55KB, 345x359px) Image search: [Google]
1445289187245.jpg
55KB, 345x359px
>>524605
>>
>>524556
I went for unity because my impression at the time was that it was more of a 'build anything you want to from scratch' kinda editor, while UE4 threw a lot of ready made polished stuff at you.

It's the appeal of starting with more of a blank canvas instead of that of a cookie cutter fps you gotta turn into something else.
Plus Unitys scripting seemed much more developed and accessible at the time.
>>
File: image.jpg (138KB, 480x502px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138KB, 480x502px
>>524556
Because programing in raw OpenGL is hard.

>Using other peoples engines
>Not making your own from scratch, blood and tears

It's like you don't even want to be bought by EA
>>
>>524609
openGL is dead and buried, friend. Its all Vulkan now.
>>
>>524607
you've always been able to create blank projects in ue4
>>
>>524615
I just looked at what people where building in them and the stuff coming out of Unity seemed that more appealing and interesting to me.
My choice wasn't very informed since I lacked experience as a developer outside some maxscript and shader programming at the time.

I just went on the look and feel of the editor and the span of projects being made. This was like 2011 and youtube was riddled with
reskinned UT style gameplay coming out of UE. And everything on display from Cry engine just looked and played as if it was made in a map editor for crysis.
Unity had cruder graphics but the unity vids of the time had lot's of interesting and novel things going on with controls and game mechanics.
That was how I got drawn into learning unity, and when the unity community and forums turned out to be such an excellent experience I stuck to em.
Been using it ever since.
>>
>>524556

I'd actually like to switch to UE4, but I have a lot code and personal experience tied up in Unity - such that it doesn't make to start over with UE4. UE4s feature set not only needs to eclipse Unity's it needs to overtake my own developments within the Unity environment.

As for newer devs with less of a bedrock than I do, I think more of them are going to UE4.
>>
>>524625
>As for newer devs with less of a bedrock than I do, I think more of them are going to UE4.
funny that unity isn't close to being bedrock. Its like someone wrote a script and now you're using that script
>>
>>524556
Because Unity has C# support

>>524613
OpenGL is still better
Vulkan doesn't even have fullscreen support yet
>>
Unity was also being used pretty extensively in schools in and around 2012, making it the familiar choice for capstones that are being turned into actual titles today.
>>
>>524651
what?
>>
>>524656
He said that Unity has C# support and that Vulkan doesn't support fullscreen yet.
>>
>>524657
Vulkan supports fullscreen...are you serious right now? Vulkan gets called into a windowing context created by glfw, sdl2, etc. Have you even run the examples from nvidia?
>>
>>524658
I was just repeating what this nigga said i ain't never used none of this shit dog
>>
>>524563
>using full fat textures in a dev build
Why cripple yourself on purpose? Just downscale so you can iterate during dev and then switch to 4K at the polishing stage

>>524659
This place needs IDs. Also I'm not this guy: >>524658
>>
>>524556
Because I already have a cracked unity up to version 5.
>>
>>524651
dafaq Vulkan is a specification like opengl, it has no concept of full screen like opengl. for Vulkan vs opengl, Vulkan was never meant to be a replacement, it's tons more complex and if you don't know if you should use it, it's probably not for you.
>>
File: 1450750950267.jpg (25KB, 341x339px) Image search: [Google]
1450750950267.jpg
25KB, 341x339px
>>524601
>>
>>524750
>>524658
Borderless Window isn't Fullscreen
No Fullscreen means input lag, judder, and no VSync/G-Sync/Free-Sync support as well as lower frame rates
That currently makes Vulkan a bad API for gaming
>>
>>524770
Again, vulkan has no idea about platform specific api calls to enable system windowing or "fullscreen". Those are handled by glfw or sdl etc
>>
>>524770
Most gamers value quick tabbing between OS and game to access things like voice chat, music and browser for various gameplay related tasks. Borderless windowed makes this a seamless experience. True fullscreen is way to clonky to be worth that extra performance gain.
>>
>>524771
There currently is no way to get Fullscreen with Vulkan

>>524772
Switching in/out of Fullscreen is almost seamless in OpenGL and completely seemless in DX12
It's only a problem in DX9 and 11
>>
>>524774
>Switching in/out of Fullscreen is almost seamless in OpenGL

i've played plenty of ogl games to know that certainly isn't true
>>
>>524776
That's simply because they're doing it wrong (the same way as DX9/11, which doesn't work with OpenGL)
If you do it right the screen goes black for about 1/60 of a second
>>
>>524779

I'm sorry, but that's just plain bullshit.

OpenGL doesn't do fullscreen. It has no concept of such a thing. OpenGL is device independent.

To display anything, you're using some kind of library between OpenGL and your output device. Maybe it's Glut and GLX. Maybe it's SDL or Qt. Maybe it's built into the windowing system of your operating system, I dunno. The point is, OpenGL doesn't know or care about your display. It just draws where the platform-specific library points it.

Vulkan's no different. Maybe there's no library for your platform that lets Vulkan do fullscreen, but that's not Vulkan's fault, that's the fault of your platform. We didn't have the nice little utility libraries for OpenGL back in the day either.

DirectX is tied in with Windows, so it plays by different rules. I don't do Windows so I can't comment on it.
>>
File: 1446601222990.jpg (441KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446601222990.jpg
441KB, 1280x720px
Why doesn't anyone, literally anyone use the doom 3 engine? It was open sourced a while back.
>>
>>524792
Why would you wanna use a undocumented engine with unexplored capabilities over something like unreal or unity?

If you are an advanced programmer you might find the source code access appealing and interesting.
For people just interested in realizing gameplay by any means having the source isn't of much use.
Having a robust pipeline for importing assets and having user friendly editor with well documented scripting is what really matters.
>>
>>524774
>There currently is no way to get Fullscreen with Vulkan
Vulkan has no idea what OS the user is "displaying on".
>>
>>524556
Unity is more customizable.
In UE you can easily design a first person shooter level, but god forgave you if you want to make a real time strategy, in space.
Unity is harder if asset store doesn't have the exact thing you need, but if you know programing or arent lazy to look it up you can make whatever you want in it from a 2D platform throught a jrppg to an educational simulator for medical students.
>>
>>524790
Both OpenGL and Vulkan don't have explicit Fullscreen support
But on Windows all major GPU manufacturers added heuristics to enable Fullscreen to their OpenGL drivers
The Vulkan drivers on the other hand have no support and nothing is announced

>>524799
Yes, but Vulkan was supposed to be an explicit API - not "write once, debug on 10 different implementations"
>>
File: 1444180889530.jpg (14KB, 294x273px) Image search: [Google]
1444180889530.jpg
14KB, 294x273px
>>524812
>Yes, but Vulkan was supposed to be an explicit API - not "write once, debug on 10 different implementations"
You don't understand what you're talking about, let's leave it at that.
>>
>>524813
At least I'm not a Linux user
>>
>>524803
what exactly is stopping you from making a real time strategy game in ue4?

if anything ue4 is more customizable than unity
>>
It's called Unity for a reason. It's ease of use factor applies to both artists and coders alike, which is an issue between lots of indies. It unifies them. With the way the inspector works, you can package art with code to function so even the dumbest developer can make it work.
>>
>>524812

So, in other words, your beef isn't with Vulkan but with the GPU vendors.

Once Vulkan becomes more popular, the support code will fall into place. This is why so many people avoid early adoption.
>>
>>524792
it has serious drawbacks. it could never really do landscape well because the engine just wasn't meant for it. the engine proved to be a limiting factor and that's the reason why any true id tech 4 engine game is an indoor corridor shooter
>>
>>524842
UE4 is more customizable because of its open source platform. Unity is still closed in many areas for its source code, unlike UE4. The thing about Unity though is its much more 'unified' community. Content, tutorials, assets all overflow compared to UE4s moderate material in order to make a game. With UE4 you can write whatever plugins you want in any area of the engine, but Unity has a very large community. UE4 is growing but it's inherently a large reason why Unity is still more popular than UE4. I mean look at UDK. Who the fuck used that compared to Unity? The difference in developers was substantial. Now its growing to less of differences in members and if it keeps up you could easily see a 60/40 split Unity/UE4.
Just remember Unity is more about lower spec games while UE4 is marketed as higher spec games. That doesn't mean neither engine can do the opposite, it's just the way people view these engines.
>>
>>524803
>but god forgave you if you want to make a real time strategy, in space.
Funny that you say that, ever since we moved our realtime space strategy game from unity to UE4, the development has been pretty much smooth sailing, considering artists are now also involved in making game logic.
>>
Just adding to these already excellent answers.

Unity and UE4 have two vastly different licensing offers. Unity is free/subscription based, while UE4 requires royalty. That's a huge factor for a lot of users who don't want to deal with the bureaucratic paperwork bullshit and report back profits to Epic every quarter.
>>
>>524556

> 2D Dev easier in Unity
> C#
>>
File: mrstealyface.png (93KB, 216x246px) Image search: [Google]
mrstealyface.png
93KB, 216x246px
Supid Unity question:

What keeps an indie dev from developing a game with the free edition and purchasing the pro license prior game release in the same month to save money?
>>
>>525458
nice question
>>
>>525458

Nothing, that's a completely valid and legal approach, and something many do. The only reason to upgrade to pro is if you want to remove the splash screen, or if you exceed the $100,000 yearly threshold. Also there are some other benefits of upgrading but nothing really noteworthy.
>>
>>525466

I remember from the top of my head that there is the dark theme available for pro.

Is it still like this, that the profiler and graphics debugging tools are only available through pro?
>>
>>525467

No, all engine features (including debugging and profiler) are included in Personal edition. Pro is basically just extra fluff that's irrelevant for most users (cloud build, analytics bs and stuff like that).
>>
Documentation, speed/stability of the editor.

also, schools were using it for years before udk went free and epic started shipping its staff to colleges all over the world.
>>
There's this Chinese company called Tencent.

Everything they do is sketchy as fuck, and I'm not convinced they aren't some off division of the Chinese government. It's going to sound bizarre, particularly in the "only results matter" field of games/graphic design, but I can't bring myself to use or support any product that is funded by or profits Tencent.

And they own 48% of Epic Games, developer of the Unreal 4 design platform.

As far as I know, Unity is still owned by the three Danes that started it.
>>
>>525567

No lol, unity a few months back entered a multimillion dollar investment.
>>
>>524556
Literally trillions on content regarding tutorials and bullshit like that.
>>
>>525569
with who?
>>
>>524561
4k in god knows what flappybird shit you are making, are you dumb as fuck?
>>
>>524556
Until unreal 4, unity was really the only indie engine. Maybe source or blender engines were used a bit as well or some other stuff, however nothing major came out of them from indie developers. Recently a lot of people have been using unreal though.
>>
>>524556
i use unity, here's my opinion on the matter:
i like that its empty projects are 6 mb instead of +600 mb.
it takes less than 5 seconds to start up instead of just shy of 2 minutes (i timed them both opening an empty project). and i also don't need to log into something or see the unity store.
it doesn't have a ton of garish, engine-identifying post-processing on by default. i generally appreciate that unity's graphics are more basic by default. in general, ue4 feels bloated as hell, and i don't really need any of its unique features.
on the other hand, i don't like unity's shit "made in unity personal edition" splash screen. leave the animation and the "personal edition" out, make the background black instead of blue. it makes for a jarring and unprofessional intro. but i suppose that's the point of it, isn't it? removing it is pretty much the only thing the pro edition has going for it. i also don't like how the code for its pbr shaders work, i really don't understand how to make a new shader anymore. but i guess that's partly on me to learn anyway. i also don't appreciate the black box nature of a good amount of its components. since they're made for general use, they're not and cannot be optimized for specific kinds of games that would benefit from optimizations and changes.
all that said i'm thinking of giving ue4 a good long try in the future, to judge the whole process of making a game in it instead of just generally using it.
>>
>>525605
>removing it is pretty much the only thing the pro edition has going for it.
That realization caught me off guard a while ago. I was thinking, "why cant they give you several different splash screens to choose from to put in front of your product? Different colors, different animations, maybe some black backgrounds, you know to match your game intro?"

And then I thought "Oh, if you could pick a splash screen you liked you wouldn't consider paying money to make it go away completely."

And then I was mad for a little while.
>>
a retard can use it. That's it.
>>
>>524776
that's the window system's fault.
>>
>>525567
I just was told this by a former employee!!!!
Iirc, after the success of gears of war, epic gave shares to some of its employees. All of them said thanks, left the and sold their shares to ten cent.

I guess their Chinese overlords (or whatever you get with %48) are being typical in creative money chasers, just following the latest money making turned, and THAT'S how their MOBA Paragon came about.
>>
>>524556
>Why do 90% of indie devs go for Unity vs Unreal Engine 4
Do they? Or is that just a number you pulled out of your ass? Lots of indies use UE4, but mainly just the ones who can handle C++. UE4 has a "blueprints" thing for visual scripting but it's not worth using for anything beyond a very simple game. Like everyone else in the thread has said, Unity allows programming in C#, which is C++ with rubber padding taped to all the sharp corners so that the kids don't hurt themselves.
>>
File: 1458782590898.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1458782590898.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>>525662
this game is made entirely with blueprints, and the dev has said the large, complex scale on which he's making the blueprints is actually no problem, surprisingly

>so that the kids don't hurt themselves.
programming is merely a means to an end, nothing worth being smug over
>>
>>525665

That was made by one guy? Got a link and possibly making of?
>>
>>524609
>It's like you don't even want to be bought by EA
i laughed
>>
>>525668
yeah, one dude. it's called mayhem league. i don't know if he has a blog or something but he posts frequently in /v/ gamedev threads and /agdg/ of /vg/. you have ample opportunity to talk to him about it. i think he's in the gamedev thread now.
>>
>>525662
>UE4 has a "blueprints" thing for visual scripting but it's not worth using for anything beyond a very simple game

Now i'm sure you have no idea what you're talking about, blueprints are as powerful as C++, except for some specific methods which are not accessible by default by the nodes system, however, if you're c++ literate you can make those methods acessibles via the Blueprints with ease.
The only downside to blueprints is of couse that it's a layer above pure C++ so it'll take a little longer to compile however in a realistic scale it has no effect whatsover, i've done series of complex calculations all within the Event Tick node and saw no performance loss whatsover, even with a fucking old school android phone.
>>
>>524556
I honestly have no idea, both in the programming side and the art side Unreal is the superior.

Starting by the node system, which you can use to adjust or generate materials within the engine itself, let's say for example that my normal map bake came out a little too strong, you can adjust that by using the multiply node, or let's say i want to make the same material with different variations, such as a brick that can be either red, blue.. whatever, that can be achieved by using material instances, which are extremely lightweight in comparison to making a new material (which is all you can do within Unity)
The lightning is also better out of the box, sure you could program some shaders for Unity which would make it look as beautiful as Unreal but that's a waste of time and as anyone under a schedule knows, time is money.
Also, it feels like PBR in Unreal just feels right, instead, in Unity everything just looks off somehow, i'm guessing it's something to do with lighting, which is another issue since somehow, when i model enviroments it seems the that the light "leaks" into the mesh somehow, i've tried fiddling with the lighting but i could only make the effect less severe, not remove it, on the other hand, everything looks great in Unreal, lighting just works..
>>
File: Schedule_ Senior Fixtures.png (337KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Schedule_ Senior Fixtures.png
337KB, 1920x1080px
>Be tied with another team for the title
>We both draw, and lose twice
>This happens
Muh dikk.
>They also lose
It's coming!
>>
I'm going to make an environment scene in Unity and later on UE4. Do you think employers will appreciate using the 2 engines? Or shall I use UE4 alone.
>>
>>525852

As long as the final outcome looks good, whichever.
>>
File: Homer.jpg (262KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
Homer.jpg
262KB, 1284x980px
>Unity
>>
>>524557

I think it has to do with Unity using C# scripts, while UE uses C++.

That does startle me a bit. That said, I have little interest in writing code. I have moderate to very high interest in virtually everything else game related.
>>
>>524882
His beek is with Vulkan because both DX and GLUT allowed the fullscreen thing without driver heuristics. Why this, an essential feature for games, was removed in vulkan is anyone's guess.
>>
>>526118

GLUT was an add-on for OpenGL, not part of the core standard. That's what I meant by "support code."

Who uses GLUT for real programs anyway? There are much more modern toolkits that will do fullscreen OpenGL and throw in audio and input support as well. SDL2 can do it, and it also supports Vulkan.
>>
>>524556
>>524556
you should ask this on AGDG. I personally use unity. Not because its better, i have no means knowing witch one is better since it takes so long to learn how to use one engine that knowing 2 makes you a nodev, by nodev i mean someone that does not make games. So we have a plan, Finish a game in X months. And that what we do, we pick a game engine/framework and finish a game. Some brave souls make the game engine their own. And i have this wild guess that every single engine that you pick will give you trouble. From what i read on 3 those game engines/frameworks can deliver : Gamemaker (belive it or not it was made by a dude on agdg and in gamemaker. So no more hating on this game engine, it can deliver),Unity, UE4, Love2d,Godot, construct. Those are the "meme" game engines i see delivering in the indie game scene. There are other game engines like source but what ive heard you need a big team to finish a game in that.
>>
>>527231
sorry what i meant about gamemaker was : risk of rain was made by a dude that used to post on agdg.
>>
>>527231
Asking AGDG is a bad idea. That place is fractured and opinionated beyond belief. Not to mention its constant shitposting.
>>
>Loads and some more learning resources, both official and youtube etc
>Easy workflow
>C# scripting means you don't have to wait over 9000 hours for the entire project to recompile
>Massive asset store
>Large active community
>Ideal for mobile dev

Things maybe changing though. It's not just Unity and UE now. You've got Lumberyard, Cryengine.. All freely available.

Only thing that pisses me off with Unity is the appalling terrain performance once you add detail to it
>>
>>527510
Ive been trying to make a third person shooter [spoiler]similar to ratchet and clank [/spoiler] in unity for a year now and ive barely found any "Learning sources" for something like that.

If youve got lots of money to drop for asst store packs that make you reliant instead of teaching then the asset store is for you. And the community will commonly link you to learning links that are either Expired/Highly Depreciated or paywalled. or just dont work. Or are just bait n switches cause when you say "Third person shooter" they link you to a Third person MMO controller that has nothing relevant to you with a nasally Indian(?) accent. And then you find out that it was just the guy himself posting his own links and saying "Oh, this guy knows answer!"

Unity is great if you want to dev on a low end PC. And UE4 dosnt have a low end mode as good as unity's do to the fact that they linked parts of their UI to the graphics they dont let you disable.
>>
>>527231
>gamemaker. So no more hating on this game engine, it can deliver

A lot of decent games have been made in it. Undertale was made in GM, so was the original Spelunky and Rogue Legacy.

>Inb4 "those are shit games"

Game Maker still performs like shit, though.
>>
>>524871
>ease of use factor applies to both artists and coders
IDK, if you're making that argument then you're either completely ignoring Blueprint or have never heard of it.
>>
>>527231
>>527536
Risk of Rain and Deadbolt were also made in GM, so you can't say is a "shitty engine where you can't do anything".
>>
>>525809
Unity has material instances but they don't work quite the same as that, just thought I should say that
>>
File: wheel shop m4 red.jpg (734KB, 1894x1010px) Image search: [Google]
wheel shop m4 red.jpg
734KB, 1894x1010px
>>527533
>i couldnt find a tutorial to tell me how to make the game i want to make

Are you serious senpai? Break your game down into it's smallest logical pieces. Create these pieces. If you don't know how to, try googling generic things you are trying to achieve. It's easy to get sidetracked and end up trying to do a million different things at once. Concentrate on small parts and piece them together, as you do, you'll learn and advance. Learning is exponential, so the further you dig, you'll find your learning more in the same space of time.

I'm not saying your whole project should be from the asset store. But especially if you are trying to learn, it will help you, by looking at the way others code/workflow.

Also, don't think Unity is just for low end. Pic related, it's my current project.
>>
>>528716
turn that fucking bloom down
>>
File: 1467090321817.jpg (91KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467090321817.jpg
91KB, 1000x800px
>>524601
>>
>>524803
This pretty much sums it up: A lot of people are easily swayed, misinformed trendwhores and the Indie development scene is a massive concentration of such people. They've heard marketing FUD to the tune of "Unreal Engine can only make cookie cutter FPS meatshooters" from Unity's evangelists and marketing team so often that they just believe it.
>>
>>524556
It's extremely easy to use Unity.
>>
>>524679
>Switching to 4K at polish
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>525606

They are actually updating the splash screen to just "Made With Unity" (dropping the "personal" edition"). They're giving you a few color options and what not, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJ562A7V-E
>>
>>528885
This and the 'UE4 is better suited for teams' meme.

Like what does that even mean
>>
>>524556

It's extremely easy to use Unreal.
>>
>>524556
The reason it seems unity has more indie devs is because the company has been pushing it for years to become a publicly traded company. they marketed to indies while unreal marketed to professional . With the success of pokemon go however unity's public offering is certain now.
>>
>>524559
>GTX750Ti
It's not shitty. We are talking about indy fucks that use notebooks with Intel HD-XXXX-level shitty.
>>
File: desperate.jpg (261KB, 1599x909px) Image search: [Google]
desperate.jpg
261KB, 1599x909px
Can anyone recommend learning resources for C++, C#, etc...?

Also, what are your opinions on CryEngine 5? It seems like they just skipped 4, but I haven't looked into it.
>>
>>530585
>an anyone recommend learning resources for C++, C#, etc...?
University
>>
>>530585

There's a million youtube videos, websites, and books for learning to program. Pick whatever suits your style of learning and run with it.

Just bear in mind, the only way to learn programming is to do it. A lot. Program some every day.

You can get by without a university education. A computer science course would teach you a lot of theory and math that's useful if you were building your own game engine, but if you're just filling in game logic into Unity or whatever you don't need it.
>>
>>530585
>tfw you chose C#
Everything's coming up Milhouse
>>
>>530585
4 unity3d.....could you please look at the official web training?
https://unity3d.com/es/learn/tutorials/topics/scripting/coding-unity-absolute-beginner
>>
>>530541
Easily staged asset production pipeline, maybe? Idk.
>>
>>525924
>I have little interest in writing code
Then the choice of engine really isn't yours to make. You're going to have to work with someone who can actually code, let them decide. If all you're doing is 3D models, 2D art, sound, music, whatever, then all that works in any engine.
>>
>>530585
Unfortunately, this:
>>530589
is kind of the true answer. Yes, you can watch tutorials and learn the syntax of an if-then-else statement. But real programming is kind of a black magic and any game you make will be slow and buggy and just generally shitty if you spent two months self teaching on YouTube.
>>
>>530656

I think you're overestimating the value of a computer science education.

Sure, if you're going to be working in very tight loops where you only have two or three milliseconds to work in, then yeah, some time spent working on big-O notation will help (in the sense that it teaches you to see patterns in the code for how much time and space something needs). If you're rolling your own datastructures (as in C), then yeah it helps to know the difference between a priority heap and a queue.

If you're working inside a prewritten game engine, you don't need all that. You just need some experience coding.
>>
>>530531
Yeah, I saw that too a few days ago.

It's impressive they added literally every feature I was talking about, and then some. And none of it says "personal edition" anymore.

Good on them.
>>
>>530656
>if you spent two months self teaching on YouTube
what the fuck
why would anybody do that? how can anyone learn CREATIVE WRITING by WATCHING SOMEBODY
there are two problems: creative vs somebody and writing vs watching
if you want to learn how to write code then you FUCKING READ, unless it bores you, but then how are you supposed to not to get bored with writing if reading bores you?

to LEARN THE FUCKING BASICS of coding:
>get an environment like game engine where you see the changes you made right away
>lean syntax of choosen language
>learn fucking basics like what is method, what is memory, what is life
>think about something you want to accomplish
>think about how to break it down to simple pieces
>try to write it
>fail miserably
>google how to do it properly
>do so with the new knowledge
>keep writing stuff until you think you think you are capable of writing anything you will want
>you won't ever actually, but you may think so
>eventually work on a bigger projects with other people that actually know how to code
>learn from them on the go
>start your own big project

here you fucking go, you just learned how to code like a pro, unless you're fucking stupid and black, but then you should learn how to rap instead
>>
>>531316
>unless you're fucking stupid and black, but then you should learn how to rap instead

Your racism is pathetic you fucking failed normie.
>>
>5% per sale past 3k
vs
>pay once ~$1000 past 100k sales
>>
>>531333
it's not racism [spoiler]when it's true[/spoiler]
>>
>>531316
what if ure not into coding cuz its boring and shit :(
>>
>>531392
>want to make a game
>"oh, but no coding pls"
The fuck am I reading, son?
>>
>>531395
Yeah, going OMA is difficult and inefficient. Someone can handle the coding while someone else can handle visuals. Just like how every single gaming company works.
>>
I'm not exactly a dev, since I just mess around with stuff, but the biggest issue is scripting in UE4. I know blueprint is supposed to be this easy fast visual scripting, but it feels pretty inefficient. That and I don't like visual scripting. The only alternative is to code in C++, from what I heard isn't welcoming to beginners.
Meanwhile, in Unity you can just script with C#. I chose Unity mainly because it's generally lower end, getting a good performance boost in 5.5, and I really dislike BluePrint.
If UE4 had something like UnrealScript, then I might have been using that.
>>
>>524556

I chose Unity because I needed an extra CS class this semester and had the choice of a game dev course using Unity and a game dev course using Unreal. I chose the one with Unity because the professor that's teaching the Unreal course sucks.

If not for the professor, I'd probably have chosen Unreal because I feel at home with C++. I've never used C# because I'm a UNIX guy.

I have zero interest in game programming and will probably never touch it again after the course.

>>531398

C++ itself can be confusing as fuck if you let it, but if you already know C# you're most of the way there. Stick with modern C++11 and newer - it really removes a lot of the warts of the language and almost removes the need to manually manage your own memory (which is the scariest part of C/C++).
>>
>>527536
it doesn't perform like shit, they added something called YYC compiler that makes it way faster
>>
>>531398
>pretty inefficient
Blueprints compile to code, the performance is identical to writing C++.
Also, converting from script to code is simple, as most function names are the same.
>>
>>531561

He was talking about how it is to work with them, not their performance.
>>
>>525665
FUCK. This is the first time ive seen this gameplay and it overlaps with some ideas I had for my next project... which I do solo... in UE4... with blueprints.
>>
>>531398
Literally because you're in this thread I guarantee that nothing you do will cause you to see any difference between native code and Blueprints.

Also Epic is working on conversions to pure native code from Blueprints to reduce overhead. Beta is out already
>>
>>525665
I can tell that has 'orrible mouse input.
>>
>>531664
how do you know it's not using a gamepad? this looks like the kind of game i'd play with a gamepad
>>
when I started game developing unity was working with blender very well and later I switched to mobile games and UE didn't offered mobile support i think.
>>
File: 1461032137820.gif (1020KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1461032137820.gif
1020KB, 500x373px
>>524556
Because 90% or more indies don't go for AAA games, since they don't have a 25 people Dev team, and why use the overbloated UE4 which features you won't use, if you can have a more lightweight engine. Also C# is not meme spaghetti like blueprints, and C# is also easier and more comfortable for prototyping than C++. Additionally a bigger community, more noob tutorials and helpful shit in general to easily go into Unity from an Indie and Beginner point of view.
>>
>>524564
i like how the launcher manages multiple engine builds, wish unity had that in its project launcher
>>
>>524561
Reduce your texture quality until final build
Ue does lock up a bit when I'm trying to make very large things but I imagine anything would.
>>
>>524556
One of the reasons is Unity supports DX9 and runs well on old clunkers Unreal does not (well it does if you run your game in unlit mode)
>>
Can I use normal maps for mobile games on the unity engine? I've done research and can't find out, figured I'd post here.
>>
Unity is more for indie devs, because of the amount of tutorials and how simple it is to use. Greed also has a part in this, Unity is royalty free as Unreal takes 5% of your dosh,On what you make of the game you're selling. In advantages, unreal is more powerful and is used to make good looking... Everything. Unity is less better looking, but takes less to power it, So mainly, people with shit PCs use Unity for deving, as for people who know what they are doing and/or have better PCs.

>Good decisions come from experience
>>
>>525662
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5El-yYNUwU
pure blueprints, developer said it himself hes not a coder
>>
>>530529
why do it at polish when you can do in at english?
>>
>>531950
no development support on linux though
>>
>>533561

Say what now?
>>
>>533572
"say what" what?
>>
>>533594

In this context "Say what now" is meant to be interpreted as "Your comment is incorrect."

You can run Unity on Linux. There's a beta editor. It's a bit glitchy at times, but it works.

You can use C# on Linux, inside and outside Unity. Mono has been around as long as some of the people on this forum have been alive.
>>
>>533603
If there isn't directly on their download links, then it isn't supported.
>>
>>533605

That's a weak argument.

>The 'Report a Bug' link currently directs users to this area of the forum, which is dedicated to feedback and issues with the Linux Editor. This is the primary location for providing feedback and reporting issues with the Linux Editor.

>Crashes will launch the bug reporter, and you should use this to submit a bug in this case (the bug reporter attaches stacktrace and other information we need to investigate crashes). After submitting your bug with the bug reporter, please post on the forum with the case number you receive in your confirmation mail.

Sounds about as well supported as any other piece of commercial software from a practical standpoint.
>>
>>533619
no, it doesn't, crash handling is the first thing to do, even if the project will fail.
>>
>>530585
MIT opencourseware
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-096-introduction-to-c-january-iap-2011/

lecture notes, assignments, and projects are posted online for anyone to see, you just don't get a professor to help you along the way, or the expensive sheet of paper.
>>
>>533639

And yet, it's still fully possible to develop in Unity on Linux.

You just remember to save from time to time, like we've been telling you to do since the 80s.
>>
>>533658
no, it isn't. If it were possible to develop on linux in a stable way they would put the download link together the other SO, with the say "beta". They don't do it because it still very unsupported.
>>
>>533664

Guess I'll keep doing impossible things, then.
>>
>>533684
good crashing dude
>>
File: 1461788855073.jpg (504KB, 1170x702px) Image search: [Google]
1461788855073.jpg
504KB, 1170x702px
>>524601
>>
>>531316
Writing code is fuck all like creative writing. It's like saying that the only way to learn how to draw is by reading about drawing.
Also:
>here you fucking go, you just learned how to code like a pro, unless you're fucking stupid and black, but then you should learn how to rap instead
edgy fucking newfag /10. We aren't your playground buddies, and we aren't impressed by shoehorned swearing and faux racism.
>>
>>531615
>Literally because you're in this thread I guarantee that nothing you do will cause you to see any difference between native code and Blueprints.
The fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>533853
lmao especially in this industry
>everyone is a fucking die-hard liberal so /pol/ fags like me have to stay quiet
not him btw
>>
C# vs C++

Ez GG job vs Sleepless nights without coffe ...
Well here you go.
>>
>>533912
If you can learn c# the transition to C++ is very easy. I'm doing it right now.
>>
>>533935
I doubt he's talking about syntax or the like.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.