[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make animation this good? https://youtu.be/oJ09xdxzIJQ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (41KB, 529x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 529x360px
How do I make animation this good?

https://youtu.be/oJ09xdxzIJQ
>>
>>523155
It requires a lot of work, a lot of work, that's it.
>>
>>523155
By practice animation and rigging until you get good at it. There is no shortcut to putting in the hours, as in thousands of hours.
What u see in that clip look like classic handmade keyframe animation of bone rigs with common IK features.

Basically the stuff that is on offer out of the box in max and maya, or blender for that matter, With no additional tools needed.
Just difficult to obtain skill you yourself need to bring to the table.
>>
time, experience, dedication, and most importantly a really good team.

and team part is not just for specilization and more work force.

to make a cohersive (both estheticly, tempo-wise, well directed, technically efficient and proficient) animation you need a team that keeps each other in check and capable.
>>
>>523158
Not even that. Just practice Animation. You don't need to know rigging, lighting or anything to be a great animator.
>>
>>523155
by killing niggers and jews
>>
its called mocap
>>
>>523218
only some of it is mocap
>>
>>523155
Loads of money. Blizzard has it.
>>
>>523218
actually, they don't use mocap on overwatch according to their GDC presentation, they needed cartoony animations and mocap couldn't give them that
>>
>>523401
holy dick i feel like this is what a lot of 3d animation sorely lacks, why don't more people do things this way?
>>
Go through the basics. Learn easing in and out. I find that animating slowly with lots of keyframes gets best results. Studying movements in life and using references. This shit is on tier with Pixar man, youre asking how to be on par with the best.
>>
>>523540
Money I'd assume.
>>
>>523540
Oh yea, they do animation the deformation way, very stylish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OMGog_W-2c
>>
>>523401
>>523582

Wow, so this game has "inbetweens" or whatever they call that in traditional animation?

That's pretty cool, although it means eight billion aladdin-style reaction images are incoming
>>
>>523218

Assuming every quality animation is mocap is like accusing every painter or artist of tracing.

It's difficult, but people who do this shit are extremely good at what they do. Don't just brush it off and dismiss it as "oh, it's just mocap." Like it's that easy. It discredits their work.

Especially, if you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>523595
Any partially experienced animator would see that it isn't mocap just looking at the way it moves.
The fact that other anon thought it was mocap is either a praise for the animators or an embarrassment for anons lack of awareness.

I'd say mostly the later.
>>
>>523595
>>523597

It was a troll post, from someone almost certainly from /v/, meant to be a snide remark and/or jab at Blizzard's skill.
The obvious sign of troll posts is that they're always in all lower case letters and have no punctuation.
>>
>>523540
Doom, Rage And Wolfenstein were animated like that
>>
>>523586
Smears.
>>
Maybe you should try animating in 2D, I've read that you can get better if you've learn 2D before 3D
>>
>>524469
thats mostly a different skillset
>>
>>524476
the 12 principles of animation are true for both 2d and 3d but you'd be amazed at the number of 3d game animators who don't know them.

>>523540
>why don't more people do things this way?
Funny story actually, UE3 didn't support non-uniform bone scaling, which made that kind of smears impossible out of the box (they had to modify the UE3 source for Xrd). It may seem weird but it actually helps compress animations a lot more easily (it guarantees local bone matrices are decomposable, which in this case cuts the animation size by half)

But mostly it relates to the above answer, ie many 3d game animators just weren't taught to do it, and many bigger companies use mocap, where you'll never get that kind of stuff, and don't add it afterwards.
>>
>>524479
you're right about the 12 principles but you can be taught those doing 3D or 2D. You would have to learn a lot that is't necessary if you only want to do 3D
>>
>>524481
>you're right about the 12 principles but you can be taught those doing 3D or 2D. You would have to learn a lot that is't necessary if you only want to do 3D

That's a contradiction. Nothing you learn when applying the 12 fundamental principles of animation in 2D will be wasted when you are working in 3D. Learning how to apply good practice transfers from one to the other. And working in one medium as opposed to the other is a great way to mentally "stretch your legs" and exercise your animation muscles in different ways.
>>
>>524655
what I meant was that you need to learn how to draw to do 2D animation and be an artist in general. I say this because I have a friend who has been taught 3d animation and is pretty good at it. He has no interest in being an artist only animating. You may believe that having more skills will "stretch your legs" and you very well may be right but some people only see it as a waste of time and prove that they don't need it.
>>
>>524481
I don't know about this, I just tried something from a disney type of animation, doing a left hand right leg type of walk and the whole animation looks a lot better.
>>
>>524685
Being able to do really simple art is still generally considered to be a good skill if you ever want to plan scenes ahead of time. Sketching a simple screenplay is a lot quicker than blocking.
>>
>>523155
Extremely expensive assets.
>>
>>524791
sketching and blocking aren't necessary if you're only one person working on it
>>
>>524801
Of course they are.
>>
>>524802
of course they're not. You're only one person, your mind's eye already has the vision so just animate naturally - freeform.
>>
>>524801
>>524804
Blocking is still useful solo for the same reason that shopping with a list is useful.
>>
>>524827
its not the same thing. Theres a difference between freeform animation and pose to pose. Its like comparing an orange to a bannana. I take it you've never read more than the cover of the Illusion of Life or The Animators survival kit
>>
>>524828
So? Are you attempting to claim that freeform is strictly better while working solo?
>>
>>524829
>Reading comprehension
>>
>>524830
You clearly need some, yes.
>>
File: IMG_0544.jpg (49KB, 447x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0544.jpg
49KB, 447x447px
>>524831
>>
>>523540
>>523586
It's literally a bunch of normies who think this is bad animation

I followed Overwatch pretty closely up to its release. Every step of the way someone, somewhere was complaining about squash and stretch like it isn't literally the #1 core principle of animation
>>
>all these people just saying to practice

Is it really that simple?
If I put in the 10,000 hours, will I become this good? Or do I have to actively keep researching and looking up different techniques/principles of animation?

I've animated since middleschool, and I feel like 6-7(?) years later I'm nowhere near where I should be.
>>
>>524853
>10,000 hours
yes
>>
>>524801
Holy fuk ur dum
>>
>>525611
>shitpostin
>>
>>524853
There are only 12 principle of animation, 3D animation also hasn't changed a ton since IK came out as far as I know
>>
>>523554
>slowly with lots of key frames

Lel
>>
>i'm going to study one specialized skill only anything else is a wastw of time

protip: do this if your goal is to flake out of or get pushed out of the industry years into your career
>>
>>525636
I don't see anyone in this thread saying anything that could be close to what you implied.

What's your source for that info anyway, or are you just talking out of your ass?
>>
>>526131
hes talking about the dumbass who thinks there's a lot in the 12 principles that isn't necessary for 3d
>>
>>523158
He's got a point but he's making it seem a little out of reach.
A: You dont need to know or be good at rigging to be a good animator, you need to understand it slightly but in many places in the industry "rigger' and 'animator' are two separate positions.
use reference, all the time. learn animation in maya, you can get it for free legally many ways.
learn the importance of keyposes and how things move in reality. Watch some masterclass tutorials on both the operation of maya and the fundamentals of animation traditional and 3d.
>>
>>523155
by doing it better
>>
>>523218
From your comment i can tell you're no where even remotely close to knowing anything about animation
>>524481
Every single principle in the 12 principles is applicable to 3d animation. Every single one of them. Been going thing for a long time.
>>
>>526650
I'm not doubting principles but drawing and animating in 2D is a different skill set then moving IK controllers in 3D
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.