[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto and/or semi auto retopology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: topology_breakdown.jpg (137KB, 800x548px) Image search: [Google]
topology_breakdown.jpg
137KB, 800x548px
So.. I stucked in doing retopology (i was suggested by doing it on 3ds max but it was too tedious), so after scouring some, I found some candidates

>Zremesher
>Blender (w/ or w/o Retopoflow)
>Topogun
>3D coat

Which one should I choose and why
>>
File: 1356231531704.jpg (92KB, 977x436px) Image search: [Google]
1356231531704.jpg
92KB, 977x436px
>>522141
if you really dont want to put any work into your projects then just shell 150 and get unwrella
>>
>>522165

Isn't that for uv's.

>>522141

auto Retopo is still not great for faces. Every studio will also want different topology depending on the project. Topogun and 3d coat are good choices.
>>
>>522141
Use topogun for anatomy
>>
>>522141
topogun. use topogun, such a sexy application. i don't know about max, but mayas live surface has become pretty useful, i assume max is as well, altho you don't like that option. you should just ask yourself why you want auto/semi auto retop, is it because you are laze, or is it because you don't know proper topology. if you are just lazy zremesh and then rebuild the bad topology, if you don't know proper topology, git gud
>>
File: batshit crazy.webm (654KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
batshit crazy.webm
654KB, 500x340px
>>522165
how reliable is unwrella ?
>>
>>522964
whats so good about it?
assuming you already know retopology
>>
>>522964
Max's retopo workflow is quite strong in my opinion. I use it all the time. It's a much more manual approach than what's on offer in topogun but I personally like it that way.
>>
>>522165
Uh, Unwrella is for UVs. That said, I've found unwrella gives very inconsistant results. Much better just using UVLayout IMO.

I highly recommend using ZRemesher, you can get really really good topology out of a 1 minute job. Alls you have to do is slap a few guide lines on it and it does the rest. Saves SO much time over doing it all manually.
>>
It'll be nice when 3DCoat's poly-fill is out of the beta.

Manually retopo all the important edge loops and when that's done you hit the polly-fill and it fills in the rest of the geometry.
>>
I'm kinda drive-by lurker and new to this board, but I have a question:

Is this remeshing something like you do when you remesh Finite Element Models? Because if so, FEA programs like Msc Marc, HyperMesh or ANSYS Workbench have quite a lot of different options to operate on mesh, especially HyperMesh that allows for interactively adjusting your mesh.

And I guess you could then export it to neutral files and open it in whatever program for sculpting you have.

...I can be of course talking out of my ass if those meshes are something else.
>>
>>522141

Your pic is from Maya. If you have a modern version of maya (2015 till now), it has the modeling toolkit built in. One of the tools in that toolkit is a quad draw for retopo. It's very fast and easy. If you have it already, try it out. Good shit.
>>
>>522141
Check Instant Meshes auto retopo software. It is probably the best auto retopo software.
>>
low res primitaves block out in maya
dynamesh
high res sculpt
export obj
retopo in maya
reproject, clean up, and detail in mudbox
texture in mari
hair/fur in shave & haircut
light and render in arnold
post work in nuke
final touches in photoshop ( if its a still image )
>>
>>522141
Don't use Zremesher. Use the topology tool.

Unfortunatly couldn't find the original helpful image but hope this one shows it as well.
It's basically using your sculpted mesh as guide layer and you retopo a zsphere on top.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.