[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ripping the System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 3dsmax.jpg (40KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
3dsmax.jpg
40KB, 256x256px
Hello, pretty simple question.
I've just started the 3d modelling for a game I intend to release. I've gotten everything done except for replacing place-holder models.

My current problem is the price of 3ds Max. If I pirate 3ds max, get all my models done, and then buy a month of 3ds Max before releasing the game, will I have the copyright to release the game and not owe anyone any money? As an independent developer, I don't have over a grand to drop before releasing this game. I know I could use blender, but I'm working in Unreal Engine, and the quality difference between the models I've already bought is notable.
>>
you should have invested in maya LT
>>
>>521150
I haven't invested time in 3ds max yet, would Maya serve my purposes better? Sorry, this is the one element of design I'm still very much learning.
>>
>>521151
its similar to max and can be rented foe 30 bucks as month
>>
>>521147
Sorry, stupid question here. But why can you not release the game if the program is pirated? Is there a serial number associated with game releases in some way?
>>
>>521147
>will I have the copyright to release the game and not owe anyone any money?
no, but you probably won't be caught or prosecuted
>>
>>521147

You can write off the license as a business expense once you start selling the game, however consider the following:

While I think it's a good idea to get a taste of 3D modeling (regardless of what software you use), if you're serious about this then at the end of the day you're probably going to want to contract someone to model shit for you, unless you want to delay your game by another x years while you learn to 3D.

I mean, think how long it took you to program, that's at least how long it's going to take you to 3D.
>>
>>521254

I've taken the skill gap in to consideration in my designs. I'm purchasing the generic stuff (village architecture, flora and fauna etc.) and it basically just leaves me to model villagers and creatures... you know... some of the trickiest things to model. I may need to outsource after all, so I'm going to investigate that on the side.
>>
>>521369
are you living in the US? get a subscription or something just to be safe
>>
I've seen this question plenty of times and still don't understand how you think Autodesk can sue you for using a pirated copy of their program. Don't go around telling everyone you pirated it and if anyone asks you what you used just tell them to fuck off. Not that hard.
>>
>>521254
I always figured coding would take longer to learn than modeling.
Then again I don't know shit about coding.
>>
>>521410
Like in modeling, you can be shit or great at it, the main difference is that shitty code can be hidden from the user.
>>
>>521400
Total noob here, sorry for the questions but I really am curious to know how someone really could know that you're using pirated stuff? Besides the obvious with telling people. Couldn't you just say you made it in Blender or something? Is there stuff Maya can do that makes it more obvious? Is there code it injects or watermarks?
>>
>>521415
No one can tell. There's no data carryover once you export the models to unreal. There's no "paper trail". Only way you can be found out is if your dumb ass tells anyone.
>>
>>521413
This. Most of my coding for the game's plot has been cheating hidden items into the players inventory. It keeps my scripts clean, and means I can change a player's state of progress immediately.

>>521429
There's not some kind of internal code brand?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.