[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i just want to ask you how quickly can you get your game assets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: _tP7162436.jpg (37KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
_tP7162436.jpg
37KB, 400x300px
i just want to ask you how quickly can you get your game assets done. i'm making assets for my game and right now i'm working on a block of flats. i finished modeling most of it but it took me three days of working on it for for like 4h a day. and i only got most of the segments modeled and prepared for sulpting and texturing. if my modeling won't get any faster i will finish this single level in december 2016. i don't think this is normal. cleaning uv layouts also takes me a lot of time. can you give me some insight on how to speed things up and be more efficient?
>>
>>518770
How experienced are you at creating game assets? Is this your first time? Is it your first time creating an entire level?
>>
Please post a pic of the asset, and one with wireframe.
>>
>>518771
i've been modeling as a hobby for years, i used to created some models for SAMP and some other games. but this is the first time when i actually attempt to create an entire level without using someone else's assets
>>
>>518773
POST UR MODULE FAGUT >:O
>>
File: blender.jpg (327KB, 1646x1474px) Image search: [Google]
blender.jpg
327KB, 1646x1474px
>>518772
ok. this segment is just a single floor that i will duplicate in the game engine
>>
>>518774
done
>>
>>518776
its
SHIT
H
I
T
>>
>>518780
it would be more helpfull if you actually explained why is this shit and what i should have done so it wouldn't be shit
>>
>>518773
I don't really know what your workflow is like so I can't help you, but that's actually just fine.

Don't be too discouraged if you think creating a stage is taking too long. Your first stage will take a long time, but as you start creating more, you will settle into your own workflow and you will start pumping out assets faster.
If you decide to create another stage after you finish this one, you will most likely see some real improvement.
>>
>>518785
thanks. i really want to finish this level. it's not even that big. just a simple map for an online fps
>>
modeling an entire block/level takes about a week, depends on the game it can take even more because UV's,materials etc
>>
>>518791
Out of curiosity, what game is it for?
>>
>>518795
actually i'm making my own simple fps game in unity 5
>>
>>518782

It's shit is sort of a meme, I wouldn't take that seriously.

Honestly, it's average, but obviously a WIP. Keep going; it's amazing how much speed is not just from workflow but from the muscle and mental memory.
>>
>>518776
i think you're probably trying to model things too much as a set. it's a lot easier to break buildings up into individual pieces you then assemble in your level editor. break things up into stuff like window frames/window sets, trims, doors, frames, rails, etc so you can quickly creatre different building layouts in your level editor. you can easily take those smaller parts and assemble what you've made there in your level editor then save it as a prefab to paste in your levels.

really, you don't usually want to approach creating models for your levels as if you're creating a set for a cg film (although i'd imagine they probably employ similar tactics when creating their initial layout for scenes)
>>
>>518805
of course it does depend; there are some instances where you'll wind up wanting to create structural models for buildings and such but usually only for making low level of detail models that would be way less complex than what you have going on there
>>
http://polycount.com/discussion/144838/ue4-modular-building-set-breakdown

great article
>>
>>518805
>>518806
>>518808
thanks, these are some great tips. i tried to make my building modular anyway but now i see i didn't make it modular enough. i was actually making a whole floor so i could duplicate it later in the game engine while i could have saved myself a lot of time and by making more pieces modular. i will definately take this approach while modeling my future assets
>>
>>518811
make floors using bsp or terrain. there are times when you'll want to use a model at some point for things like flooring or walls but it's a lot easier to lay out your levels using bsp and terrain patches to figure out what spaces and floorplans you want then creating models to put in their place later. things like solid floor howver really just don't need to be models at all; you can lay out plain bsp flooring then spruce them up with models for set dressing and adding destroyed portions of flooring and such as needed
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.