[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions that don't need their own thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 82

File: 1459663793074.jpg (122KB, 999x624px) Image search: [Google]
1459663793074.jpg
122KB, 999x624px
With the influx of specific question threads I thought it might be a good idea to have one of these.

Have any specific questions? Post it here!
>>
>>510517
>>
anyone here uses unity and substance painter?
what is the common way you do the export, it doesn't accept height only normal,metallic and albedo. is it ok if i just leave it at that?
and if metallic = roughness and i can simply use both maps for same purpose
>>
I've skinned, weight painted, and set up controls for a model while rigging. Now I've realized I forgot to skin some joints to the mesh. What is the best way to go about adding the remaining joints to the skin bind without losing my weight painting information?

Any insight is appreciated.
>>
Any good 3d-Coat tutorials out there?
>>
>>518171

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqkYuDejPTU
>>
File: 1450492960964.jpg (71KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1450492960964.jpg
71KB, 540x540px
>>518172
This guy..
>>
What's the best version of Photoshop to get?
>>
>>518172
I actually meant the software 3d-coat:
http://3dcoat.com/home/
>>
>>518123
I use shaderforge to create the materials in unity.
it's node based material creator, so I mix the roughness, height etc to obtain better albedo results.
>>
>>518028
How do you guys fight lack of motivation, procrastination and lack of skills?
>>
>>518204
Find another hobby/career
>>
>>518211
That's not an option
>>
>>518187
>not getting that they're getting trolled.
>>
>>518241
Wasn't trying to troll. Serious question. I started learning 3ds max, and I've got a few models, but the textures and all the other details are crappy.
>>
Hi, How do i go about creating stereoscopic 3D 360 degree videos. Specifically like the assassins creed Jack The Ripper trailer on GearVR
>>
How does one get to start a career in 3d industry? Do you need certain degree/certificates to get a job? Or Does having a good portofolio/reel is enough?
>>
>>518309
in the industry you would need a degree, if not you would have to have balls to the wall portfolio (and we are talking about the industry not just a company that do archviz)
>>
What's the quickest way to edit a Zbrush subtool in Blender? Do I really need to export the subtool as obj, edit it in Blender, append and then mess around with the subtool location in the canvas ?
>>
File: marioooo.png (575KB, 1324x992px) Image search: [Google]
marioooo.png
575KB, 1324x992px
I'd like to find some more forums, podcasts, and other sources of media pertaining to 3D/CG so I'll have lots of reading/listening material. Currently, the only places I really browse are /3/, PolyCount, and occasionally the Maya and ZBrush subreddits (but they're basically dead).

Anyone have any suggestions for podcasts or forums for discussing 3D/CG?
>>
File: 0001.png (143KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
0001.png
143KB, 960x540px
Im having a problem when Im trying to render this model. For some reason the face shows some black background. Any Idea of what can cause this?
>pic related
>program:blender
>using render blender
>>
>>518185
The last one, always
>>
>>518204

Something is out of whack in your life and you need to talk to someone who will listen and then give you an outside perspective.
>>
Zbrush question
If i were to make really big fat tiddies, how do i not make them separate but touching eachother
>>
>>518204
Power trough. You need to develop a discipline that allows you to do what you set your mind to even when you rather just kick back and watch netflix while masturbating on weed.
Don't let your productivity become dependent on the whims of your psychological life. You don't need motivation for success, you need a "fuck it, I'm doing this no matter what" attitude.

Like when you completly don't feel like working you just fire up that program and start going trough the mechanics of motions related to you working.
Then you continue doing just that til you are done. You are not in a game where you wake up one day feeling strong and set a lap time you can never recreate.
You are in an endurance race where halt-for-nothing willpower triumphs short lasting burts of inspiration.
>>
>>518627

Sticky pls.
>>
I've got an old Intuos GD-0608-U. Are these garbage now?
>>
File: fuckinggg.jpg (166KB, 1211x513px) Image search: [Google]
fuckinggg.jpg
166KB, 1211x513px
Need some insight. I want to purchase a tree pack from speedtree for UE4. For those of you with experience: My main incentive for buying the pack is for the individual assets, like the leaf/bark textures, etc... Isn't it possible to just use the Hero tree (highest resolution) and degrade the assets (custom tree, for example) for common sense use...? I ask because I don't feel like buying 2 of the same packs, but different qualities.
>>
>>518636
I used to work with someone who developed the original speedTree. Its basically just a sprite particle system. Save your money and use open source.
>>
>Questions that do deserve their own thread now
*me*
>>
>>518443
open the subtool menu, unwrap and export
>>
Hey, when it comes to modelling things in a particular style (i.e. anime), is there a different workflow to follow? Right now it seems like model low poly body -> retopo -> high poly body, but for something like anime where the detail on the model body itself isn't TOO high, would you still follow that? Guides on how to do lips would be great, too. Thanks!
>>
>>518886
there is no workflow for anime, you are asking that as if someone wrote a book on how to model anime characters. you just do it like everything else, most of the detail is painted, what is modeled is only the surface mesh
>>
>>518312
I don't have a degree and don't have amazing portfolio. Got lucky enough to get hired by an architect firm doing archviz for millionaire clients. While also learning architecture. I guess luck is also a factor in this industry.
>>
>>518897
So you design kitchens in sketchup. Bravo /s
>>
>>518886

Japs are more and more doing stuff in zbrush particularly since it is now easy to 3D print toys.
>>
>>518897

So far I've designed modern houses which is helping my level building skills by a lot. The company paid me to learn rhino and give me access to thousands of high res materials and hdri maps. I've also started working with Unreal engine for VR purpose. I've made a few simple photoreal stuff that impressed clients who wouldn't be very impressed if they were 3d CG savvy people. I'm still learning and building my portfolio as I go. I would want to do more of game dev in the future though.
>>
>>518902

Do you know where to "get" this.
>>
>>518910

Amazon version of japan.
>>
>>518902
>since it is now easy to 3D print toys.

Elaborate
Last I checked, unless you want to sand the shit out of your print, you're gonna want a high detail resin print, and that shit is far from cheap
>>
File: truecrime_073002_01.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
truecrime_073002_01.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
how did games back then did textures? there was no way to paint on models, there was no google images. and some games had hundreds of different textures

was there someone at the company in charge of just shooting textures? how did that even work?
>>
>>518968
>there was no way to paint on models
whut?

>there was no google images.
m8 you cant just download from google images and put that into Shenmue!!
>>
>>518969
photoshop 4 don't have 3d plugin, and i don't even know if maya had it back then
>>
>>518970
What are you trying to say? Nobody uses photoshop 3d now unless they're new to this type of work
>>
>>518968

I used 3dsk at the time during the ps2 era. You would also shoot ur own reference.
It became a pain after 9/11 and terrorism.
I remember getting asked what the fuck I was taking pictures for so many times.
>>
File: Mirror.jpg (61KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mirror.jpg
61KB, 1000x1000px
How would experienced modelers ITT go about making the borders on this mirror set?

Getting the shape of the mirrors would be easy but the spiral patterns confuse me. I would think you could start with four different cylinders with two cap divisions, extrude the inner caps and arrange verts for height, then go in and connect verts between the cylinders to make to complete the shape, but how would you go about it?
>>
I'm doing my first commercial render for a billboard and a booklet, what file format is the best to output from blender?
>>
>>519198
subdivision modeling, just add support loops for everything and start doing it, even add smooth groups
>>
File: spiral.jpg (188KB, 1792x604px) Image search: [Google]
spiral.jpg
188KB, 1792x604px
>>519198

I just traced this shape with polys. If you planned it out better than me you would get a nice smooth result.
>>
>>519215
I'll try snapping it to a curve, thanks.

I tried drawing it out myself a little while ago but yeah it comes out a bit wonky.
>>
>>519219
Yo! Check this out. Sway way of modeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2QF7c7fHXw
>>
Hey, this may be a bit off-topic, but what kind of music do you listen when you are working/ need to get inspired?
>>
>>518627
thanks anon
>>
>>519255
yet oh see mind. Or any hype vidya battle music
>>
>>519255

Crazy Bus Title Screen or some sweet Italo disco
>>
>>519255
Depends on what the task at hand is

Currently sculpting a JoJo and because of that I'm listening to dadrock, occasionally switching to Bowie, Kin Ping Meh, Den Za Den, maybe even The Dead Weather

When I'm modelling a cute character for a game, maybe classical or thematic music, if it's fantasy? Yoko Shimomura and Nobuo Uematsu usually, Sir Edward Elgar or Schubert maybe? Depends on context

More futuristic or cyberpunk stuff, perhaps I'd listen to some Japanese doujin electronic shit like MEGAREX or Diverse, 80s aesthetic shit like Run Vaylor or vaporwave, occasionally beats and hip hop, shoegaze, K-Pop, depending on character style really.

I feel like whatever you're listening to should relate to your character in a way, jazz for classy character types or if you're modelling a nice cafe, beats if urban metro life, character or not. Avant-garde shit for your stupid experiments.

If you're animating something tho, don't listen to anything but what will be playing during it.
>>
>>518624
model them separately and then nudge them together, I'd group each one separately to make it easier as well (or whatever the terminology is, I haven't intensive zbrushed in a while)
The difficulty of this depends on how realistic they need to be
>>
File: do you listen to music milt kahl.png (880KB, 1794x577px) Image search: [Google]
do you listen to music milt kahl.png
880KB, 1794x577px
>>519255
Milt Kahl and Richard Willaims says not to but it helps me focus
Modelling: Whatever I want
Rigging: Nothing, its too distracting for me in something not as "creative"
Animating: Depending on the action I'll listen to something that fits the mood. If it has dialogue I'll either do nothing or put ambient something very low
>>
(using maya)
For an animation I have a character step in gum and then have it stick to various parts of his body.
https://youtu.be/xxDwcYWUE7U
Video is my pass at deforming it, which works well enough for how small it is in frame, but I'm having trouble with it "sticking" to the character. I tried parenting it to each character control and then switching it between the parenting, but it was just swinging around the scene wildly as it moved from one parent to another. Is there no cleaner way to do this other than having multiples in the scene and parenting each one and then hiding them as i need them?

also whats a good way to make webm's for posting here?
>>
How do I reset my model position properly? I'm using a Biped and when I change it's position and pivot point to 0,0,0 it is positioned in the middle of the grid.
Every other model I've seen was in a higher position, with their feet right on top of the grid.
>>
>>519538
forgot to mention, Im using 3DS max
>>
File: IMG_0624.jpg (12KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0624.jpg
12KB, 236x236px
How do you punish yourself if after a week you've accomplished a lot less than you'd have liked?
>>
>>519549
Keep working. If you ever feel like playing a game, watching a movie or hanging out with friends, instead work your ass off, go practice new shit, etc. There's no time for punishment.
>>
File: 20160405_100033.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160405_100033.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>518918
Thats why big companys have a master resin with which they make a mold to pour the rest of the figures into
>>
>>519592
Hm, guess I assumed that the anon was trying to say it was easy for amateurs to make
Which is technically correct I suppose, it's easy to make but expensive to put out
I had my prior suspicions that big companies would use resin prints as their masters, but I guess I could never confirm it
>>
Anyone know a good tutorial for bird wings?
Working pretty low poly here, so something in that direction would be nice, but not necessary.
>>
>>519553
Thanks so much for this I am getting off 4chan immediately after posting this, will set a reminder to come back next week and report back what I accomplished. (kinda serendipitous that I’m on this board, I’m not working on any 3D things, but am working on web dev/coding stuff)
>>
File: 96956.jpg (34KB, 423x272px) Image search: [Google]
96956.jpg
34KB, 423x272px
what's the main factor for a game to be graphically heavy?

textures, polys, light particles, animations?
>>
>>519255
okawari or nujabes
>>
File: 1456035601087.png (264KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1456035601087.png
264KB, 900x675px
Looking for someone who knows about modelling for 3D Custom Girl.

I have this model of an old style toilet I'd like to use for a game I'm making and wanted to know if anyone around here could convert it into a .TAH file so it could be used with 3d custom girl. Preferably with the lid able to be opened and closed. I'm happy to throw some cash your way if you can help out.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ub6a22159-5eaf-4f56-8e6f-616428051aec

The guy who I usually pay has just up and vanished.
>>
File: shot 3.jpg (511KB, 1984x752px) Image search: [Google]
shot 3.jpg
511KB, 1984x752px
Question about zbrush materials and texture map.

I'm trying to get a subtool to have two sets of materials on it. However, when I apply a texture map on the subtool, it changes to whatever the current material is, losing the chrome.

Is it possible to have a texture map and have 2 different materials on an object?

If not, I'm just going to polypaint from texture, but that loses detail...
>>
>>518309
I'm in the industry for 8 years now. Portfolio is everything until you get other jobs under your belt. Pick the department you want to work in or a few if you want to work in a smaller studio. And just keep practising, get faster, find some pros who do walk through and emulate their methods. Having a school you went to or a degree doesn't really mean much at all. What you need is the connections with industry people.
>>
File: 1444180889530.jpg (14KB, 294x273px) Image search: [Google]
1444180889530.jpg
14KB, 294x273px
>>519841
>I'm in the industry for 8 years now.
what industry?
>>
File: 1426753996631.jpg (73KB, 700x462px) Image search: [Google]
1426753996631.jpg
73KB, 700x462px
>>519839
Anyone? I'm kind of on the last stages, just trying to finish up the texturing.
>>
File: output2.webm (2MB, 856x471px) Image search: [Google]
output2.webm
2MB, 856x471px
I am trying to use blender for the first time ever

I've never used any 3d modeling programs before, so my experience with manipulating objects in a 3D space is limited to what I've learned from videogames and their intuitive control methods for panning, zooming, and rotating.

HOLY FUCK WHY IS THIS PROGRAM SO FUCKING ASS BACKWARDS WITH ITS CAMERA CONTROLS

I really need to change this. I can't stand how it is by default.

But I don't think it's even possible to do what I want. I need to fix the control scheme so that:

>hold(alt)+left click; focuses the camera on a specific point so I can rapidly adjust my pivot point to different locations on an object with a simple click
>hold(alt+lmb) + moving the mouse left or right; rotates around that point
>hold(alt+lmb) + moving the mouse forward or backwards; zooms the view in or away from the point
>hold(rmb) + pan mouse; rotates around the point in any direction I move the mouse

webm related
>>
>>519839

Did you clone the texture map so it is in the texture square and fill the object with it. Some materials overwrite the texture no matter what though.
>>
>>519871
just press shift f man
>>
File: shot 4.jpg (327KB, 1527x1068px) Image search: [Google]
shot 4.jpg
327KB, 1527x1068px
>>519873
I don't get it. What does cloning the texture map do with the materials?

My problem is the texture is overwriting the material, not the other way around.
>>
>>519871
>modeling without a 3d mouse
I don't even consider using programs that don't have support
>>
why did modeling move on from being this simple poly manipulation scheme to the huge cycle of sculpt, retopologize, bake normals, texture?
>>
>>519880

Apply the texture clone it then select rgb up top. Color fill object, now it's polypaint. Click M select a material you want then go color fill object again.
>>
>>519889
Appreciate the reply. So I just end up with a polypaint right? I'm not actually using a texture?

The problem with that is I lose some detail.

But I guess thats the limit of zbrush for now. At least now I know how to progress with this.
>>
File: 1460721820667.jpg (112KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
1460721820667.jpg
112KB, 500x656px
DON'T BAN ME THIS PIC IS RELEVANT TO MY QUESTION

Okay, very first time posting on /3/. I have no idea if you guys will have any idea what I'm talking about, but another person on /k/ told me that you guys had (or might have) a program that scans a section of a pic and tells you what font it is, so you could then download the font and use it.

I ask because pic related; I want to scan the fonts and turn the original poster into a reaction image telling /pol/fags to GTFO back to /pol/

I could also find a number of less memey uses for it, assuming it even exists.

Well, /3/?
>>
Does Substance cope well with very high detail meshes? I've got some that are up to 26mil and I've had some trouble in the past with it crashing on meshes this high detail. This is the older version and not the newer version that came out recently. Also, is it possible to run one license on multiple machines? I just want to run it on another so I can bake out the maps with it and not have my main workstation locked up rendering all the time.
>>
>>519907
"WhatTheFont." It's a website, not a program. And it has nothing to do with /3/.
>>
>>519921
Definitely not, it is more geared towards game models. I textured a car with it that was around 1.5 mil polys and it was slowing down with every material set unhidden.
I don't know about running the same license in multiple machines though, never tested it.
>>
File: dor.png (275KB, 1364x2160px) Image search: [Google]
dor.png
275KB, 1364x2160px
Can someone tell me why does stuff on my viewport suddenly look like shit? It used to look like the first pic a few minutes ago but then I have no idea what happened and it started having problems and twitching between looking like the 2 last pics for some reason.

I'm new to the 3ds max so this is probably a dumb obvious question. Pls help.
>>
>>519907
if you want some help with fonts /gd/ is the place you are looking for. There is always a fonts thread around where people help you out with that.
>>
>>519937

Try clicking the + symbol then configure viewports. Set it to default lights and untick enable hardware shading.
>>
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-486136D3-3BCC-4A95-823B-3E7F9F75C2C4-htm.html
>>
>>519968
>>519979
tried these 2 methods and nope, still looks like shit. I'm starting to think my file is the one with the problem so I'm gonna try to open it on a friends computer later to make sure
>>
>>519932
I didn't explain myself well. I mean the high detail mesh to render the maps (AO, normal, etc) from. The actual game ready mesh is only around 6000-8000.
>>
>>518028
Hello /g/ents,
I've been teaching myself blender for over a month now and doing pretty well.
The problem I'm running into is my gpu and computer running very hot when i have blender and photoshop open. Sometime I have opensim going to upload meshes to a game, or a combo between the three.

Does anyone have these temperature problems? I already disassembled the laptop and cleaned the fan out.

The attached speccy gpu temp is wrong, there is a bug in the speccy sensor-- 511 degrees would melt the laptop but sometimes my temps get to 70-85 degrees C.
Any insight?
>>
>>519553
my nigga
>>
File: 1420099814802.jpg (13KB, 250x239px) Image search: [Google]
1420099814802.jpg
13KB, 250x239px
how do you avoid rotation flipping in maya with values >360? It seems silly to just press euler filter every time it happens
>>
>>520237

Be mindful of gimbal locks. Don't animate in local mode for the rotate tool ?
>>
File: looksoktome.jpg (171KB, 1433x702px) Image search: [Google]
looksoktome.jpg
171KB, 1433x702px
Is using as much UV space as possible the goal? As I am worried about resolution, I am much more concerned with texture uniformity and I feel like pic related is adequate to the task. However, I am hoping someone more experienced can give some input.
>>
>>520243

>uniformity

To clarify, I mean by scaling.
>>
>>520243
yes
scale it on Y until it fills the screen
>>
File: Road01.jpg (550KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Road01.jpg
550KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone know how to fix this issue with distorted texture on a road? I looked everywhere and I can't find any good information on mapping sharp curved roads without the distortion in pic related.
>>
>>520258
maybe the uv edges are too close to eachother
>>
>>520100
ps is pretty heavy
use gimp or krita if thats an issue
>>
>>520258
you can't fix that. you can only turbosmooth it that will help to a degree
>>
>>519885
from bunch of reasons

1.more accurate representation of a character
2.using normal maps, technology helped alot in reducing polycount and adding detail to models
3.in real time everything has to be baked so it can run on various systems
4.PBR texturing is fast and companies no longer needs to take pictures or scan anymore in order to make textures
>>
>>520258
you can't fix that, are you stupid? you're obviously stretching the image to fit your quad
>>
File: engine-02.gif (2MB, 1000x1060px) Image search: [Google]
engine-02.gif
2MB, 1000x1060px
Is Maya fine to do Engineering/Blueprint designing? Like making models that show how things(engines, gears, mechanisms, etc) work.

As in like cutaways or 'x-ray' models. Showing the insides of machines/engines etc.

Stuff like attached. Searching says he uses Blender.
>>
>>520335
inventor is better for that because it is specifically made to do that type of thing. Maya is perfectly capable of doing it but you'd have to set everything up.
>>
File: 1461092692550.jpg (838KB, 2048x1358px) Image search: [Google]
1461092692550.jpg
838KB, 2048x1358px
>>520336
How widespread is Inventor usage? Like is it industry standard for say Engineering firms and the like? Or only niche(do they just use 3dsmax/maya)?

Found a niche market, and need to learn modelling. Did a bit in Maya a while ago. Just want to learn/focus on something that's widely used.

Thanks for the fast reply mate.
>>
>>518630
Nothing is garbage if you're good with it
>>
>>519627
I didn’t get as much done this past week as I had hoped to, but I did get stuff done:
- completed a coding challenge that I had been putting off for weeks. didn’t do so well on it but the company still wants to continue talks, ha!
- studied for about 20 hours

k, sorry to pollute this thread, I just wanted to keep my promise from last week.

g’luck with all y’all goals
>>
>>520337
Not the guy who replied to you, but I think AutoCAD is an industry standard.
>>
File: japanesedildojet.png (156KB, 1366x707px) Image search: [Google]
japanesedildojet.png
156KB, 1366x707px
Is 32k triangles too much for a flight simulator? unfinished, and by the time it is finished, it might end up being somewhere around 60-70k
>>
>>520350
not too much if there is not alot going on in the game itself
usually subd only once, game models shouldn't be dense
>>
File: img.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Alright, Maya / 3DS fags

How long would it take you to reproduce pic related in your professional software, including rendering?

Serious question, actually need to know for a course which requires me to use maya
>>
>>520337
Someone said AutoCAD, and they are correct. CATIA is also very prevalent in the mechanical engineering disciplines. Boeing I know for a fact uses CATIA as do many of your well known automakers like BMW and Mercedes to name a a few.
>>
>>520364
Modeling shouldn't take more that 15 minutes. Most of your time will be spent finding a quality high resolution Earth texture (I would probably get mine from NASA, they offer a lot of high res imagery for free). The halo effect around Earth (the atmosphere), while possible to do in 3D, could be done much quicker in post. Geometry is very simple and there is only 1 light source. Rendering at that resolution should take 15-30 minutes, depending on the Earth texture.
>>
>>520372
Forgot to mention, it would take me 45 mins to an hour to create that.
>>
>>520372
I'd say the whole thing shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, rendering included if you're fast.
15 minutes for modeling? What modeling? The rocks?
>>
File: normalMap_wrinkeled.png (786KB, 970x1399px) Image search: [Google]
normalMap_wrinkeled.png
786KB, 970x1399px
Got a maya normalmap issue here and could use some help please

I´ve pretty much followed this tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-Z3kA-f9s
to bake a normal map with the transfer maps tool and it works pretty well. The only problem is that when I make a new maya project, import the lowpoly mesh and add the normal map to it, it gets all wrinkeled and wrong like pic related, although it´s the same map. I´ve been checking the settings when I add the normal map but I just can´t figure it out. Does the normal map need a special hypershade treatment or what?
>>
>>520372
>>520376

Aright, that seems reasonable, though rendering times sound retarded considering that Blender/Cycles renders this scene in about 15 seconds on a middle-of-the-road GPU

>post

I guess professional 3D modellers don't come with post-production systems included (like Blender's compositor)?
>>
File: Road02.jpg (532KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Road02.jpg
532KB, 1920x1080px
>>520272
Meh, I found a way.
>>
>>520378
make sure on the normal map node the normal type is set to tangent space normals. Also show the normal map.
>>
>>520379
Why should they?
Compositing is considered a separate profession.
But since this is a single image, post would mean to fire up photoshop and draw over it. Or render multipass and put it together in PS.
>>
File: normalmap_toodark.jpg (301KB, 891x2292px) Image search: [Google]
normalmap_toodark.jpg
301KB, 891x2292px
>>520387
Aaaah I´m an idiot, thanks anon! Set it to tanget space normals now. Still, it´s weirdly dark now...On pic, 2 is the result when I bake it directly in maya, 1 is the same model and normal map, just imported instead. I figured out that there is a difference in the hypershade structure, could it be related to the "initialParticleSE" and "initialShadingGroup" nodes? Normalmap is at the bottom, sry if it´s crappy haven´t baked a lot yet.
>>
What is so special about VCM when rendering?
>>
>>520405
The initial shading groups are just the defaults created for a new scene, and lambert1 is the default shader under said groups.

Your lambert2 has it's own shading group so it doesn't need the initial groups.
The flat shading is as it should be; it's a lambert material, i.e a flat shader with shadows.

Your normal map has quite a few dodgy areas which are usually a result of an overlapping cage or a cage that doesn't completely fit the model when you bake. you can just edit those bits out using the flat normal map colour which is rgb 128,128,255.
The detail parts also aren't very strong. You can increase bump strength in the bump2d node.

If you use photoshop CS6 or below, i would suggest downloading the free Nvidia normal map filter plugin for photoshop and watching a tut for the basics. It has an option to normalise an image to match the rgb range limits for each channel if they fall outside the required values for a normal map.
So you can, say, duplicate your normal map, blur it, reapply a normal map conversion via the same plugin with a larger sample size, change the layer style to overlay, flatten it to the original, then normalise, and have a more pronounced result with less noisy bumps.
>>
>>518028
I literally just found this thread. I've used Unity very little in the past, and I was wondering if 3D modeling was the kind of artist medium that should be learned by doing, or learned by other life experiences? ie would some professional art classes be recommended? Hand sculpting? Or can I just as easily learn 3DCG my doing 3DCG?
>>
>>520465
Words can not express my gratitue, thank you so much for this vital info!

Will sacrifice two goats today in your honor, almighty anon
>>
File: some of my junk.jpg (827KB, 1478x3000px) Image search: [Google]
some of my junk.jpg
827KB, 1478x3000px
Let's say I got into a 3D arts school and am having my tuition paid in full by school donors.

Let's say that 1/5 of my time here is over already and my GPA is >3.25.

The curriculum for my major revolves around drawing, modeling and 2D/3D animation. I'm experienced with drawing (drawing was what got me into the school) and if I had a frame of reference I could probably build a human body correctly in Maya or Blender. The schoolwork is intense and I'm gradually getting better at it.

What should I do right now to start securing employment? Right out of the gate I could very well land something at a production house, I'm just not sure the steps I should take to make myself more visible and accessible by employers. Did you go to school? What did you do differently than others that helped you get your foot in the door where others didn't? I need to have all my bases covered.
>>
>>520511

>What should I do right now to start securing employment?

Show off. Prefferably your best work. I would never ever post something like your pic, even if you modelled it phenomenally, it's very off-putting to see all that aliasing.
>>
File: AA.jpg (134KB, 857x1916px) Image search: [Google]
AA.jpg
134KB, 857x1916px
>>520511
>>
>>520511

You didn't say what field games or movies. The school sounds like it's making the typical mistake of having too many categories. You don't need to be a generalist any more, it's all specialist work now. Pick a field and work at that full time and try and get a pass with the rest of the subjects. When I left school I was mediocre in a lot of subjects. I then decided to focus exclusively on character art and I was employed within a few years.
>>
>>520513
thanks
>>520515
Games. It's a bachelor's course in Game Art, both 2D and 3D.
>>
I LOVE SPLINE MODELING
>>
>>518552
http://pastebin.com/KrsGyY3q.
>>
>>520516
Given what I said too I'm really speaking ahead of myself, if you wanted ask me how productive the classes are I wouldn't lie about it but I won't actually say I'd get a job out of thin air starting.
>>
>>520511
nothing guarantees you will get hired aside from your portfolio
>>
how come there is no automatic retopology yet?
i mean how can artists sit for hour/days/weeks retopo character with 10 different parts
>>
is a 16 sided poly sphere enough to look spherical in a game if the textures/normals are done right? or what is the process of making something lower poly but at the same time keeping a rounded appearence? I'm like only a week into learning so sorry if the question doesn't make sense.
>>
>>520589

zremesher
>>
>>520601
does anyone have that hand painted texture shortcut lying around? i think it was a deviant art image. it basically let you cheat using photoshop.
>>
>>520601
>>520832
i don't know why i quoted you, sorry.
>>
>>520601
i meant face topology
>>
>>520837
Not that anon but,
zremesher
>>
>>520837
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUUeT4QBOM
>>
why work when could have a semester all of the year
>>
Why is this thread not called "Stupid question thread" instead?
>>
>>520882
Because you only just showed up
>>
I'm working with Maya particles because I have to for class, but I'm not a Maya person.

Is there any way to make a maya particle render as my own custom mesh? Say, instead of them being spheres the particles were a series of letters?
>>
I want to get into 3D modeling and game development and I'm really into vaporwave at the moment. I just need to know which software to use.

I need it to:
>work well with unity/low poly
>make retarded vaporwave videos/images/effects
>>
>>521541
>I want to get into 3D modeling and game development and I'm really into vaporwave at the moment
>>
>>521541
Literally anything you want
Read the sticky
>>
File: helppls.png (72KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
helppls.png
72KB, 800x1200px
quickest / easiest way to get from top picture to bottom? Is there anyway I can scale each 'quadrant' locally? or do I have to do them all manually? Maya 2015
>>
>>521639
Select all the faces, extrude, in the attribute editor, turn off 'Keep faces together', or something like that, and tweak the offset value
>>
>>521641
I was missing the offset step.. damn, many many thanks for the response.
>>
File: deeeem.jpg (90KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
deeeem.jpg
90KB, 480x720px
what should my portfolio domain be???
help me please
>>
File: ex.webm (566KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ex.webm
566KB, 1280x720px
>>521639
In blender there's a function called inset faces. Select all faces, click I, click I again and drag the mouse.
>>
I just changed Maya's VP renderer to openGL core profile, rebooted so it could take effect, and now i crash as soon as the default scene loads.
Does anybody know how to open the program without it opening a default empty scene, or change the VP renderer through editing a text file? I don't wanna have to reinstall :\
>>
So I have made my first model and textured it, but very low detail.
ALl the main body patterns are there but it is basically 2 flat colors, I have no clue about any other details on the body or where to even begin. Or am I supposed to rely solely on the lighting and shading for that?

Does anyone know any good tutorials that go over the kinds of detailings and shadings you apply to a basic humanoid model?
>>
>>521541
blender is simple and free.
gimp is also great for textures.
idk about any good free video editing software but after effects and premiere pro are pretty good at what they are made for.
>>
>>521962
>blender is simple
>simple

substance is simple
>>
how do you know what metalness value to use in PBR?

is it always just 0 or 1 or is there more to it?
>>
>>522014
0 or 1.
Technically you could mix it but why?
>>
>>522022
NPR
>>
File: fucking.jpg (76KB, 1180x698px) Image search: [Google]
fucking.jpg
76KB, 1180x698px
How do you reset the transpose tool? I've been trying to search but I keep getting results on how to USE it.
>>
>>522154
left click on the model, if you want to align it on an axis click the green/red dot
>>
File: teste_04.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
teste_04.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I'm working with maya and renderman and I need my light-emitting geometry to be invisible while still emitting light, I will to replace it with something nice afterwards.

What I'm trying to replace is the white horizontal line
>>
File: Untitled.png (148KB, 1636x976px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
148KB, 1636x976px
Not exactly 3d related but I know some of you know how to work with Revit. Any idea why my shadows are all weird in the red circles? They're set to cast on the lowest level, shouldn't they intersect the building pad and terrain? They seem to be alright on the fal right
>>
File: CdvFHQLXEAA-TdZ.jpg (110KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CdvFHQLXEAA-TdZ.jpg
110KB, 768x1024px
why is zbrush such a poorly designed, unintuitive piece of shit? i get that it's extremely powerful but how is it possible for such a praised piece of software to have a worse interface than blender
>>
>>522295
It has so many fucking features they didn't even bother making a proper UI. That's why everything is fully customizable, it will take hours, but you have to create your own damn UI.
>>
Recently Maya 2016 got Extension 2, I was wondering if there was a cracked version of the extension? (the maya i use is pirated and i cant get the student version because my uni uses the same pirated full version)
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (50KB, 579x336px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
50KB, 579x336px
I have a simple question. Why?
>>
>>522337

It's fucking lazy that's why.
>>
Im using faceshift with maya in order to obtain values of the head rotation and orientation. Is there a way in maya to have a live preview (sort of realtime render) of the camera (and aim) that Im viewing thru.
>>
>>522304
cgpersia.com/2016/04/autodesk-maya-2016-extension-2-win-x64-112499.html

Also look on cgpeers if you want the
torrent
>>
How and where do I start?
>>
>>522416

maybe here...
>>248019
>>
>>522417
Anything specific?
>>
>>522430
It really depends on what you wanna do. I'm here not trying to pursue a career, I'm a music producer fiddling with 3d for my a/v show.
>>
should i kms ?
>>
>>522436
I dont think that solves any issue regarding your path to knowledge.
>>
>>522435
I pretty much just wanna make models to pose and shit. While I wouldn't be against it as a job I really just wanna do it for fun.
>>
File: t_rez[1].jpg (303KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
t_rez[1].jpg
303KB, 450x450px
Professionally I do editorial photography and post retouching for a cosmetics company and recently been interested in cgi for product mockups and simple designs (pic related) - nothing involving animation.

However, I'm a terrible drawer. Like, I rarely sketch other than for setups. Now if I really cracked at C4D, with no school - just whatever I can find on the internet - how long what would be an ETA to get to a level where I can make things like pic related. And then how long will it take to get to this level

https://www.behance.net/gallery/36593597/POLO-CG-Visuals

I know vague question, thank you in advanced
>>
Is there a way to flip the X and Y coords on a model in 3ds max?
>>
>>522447

A lot of those are basic geometric shapes so not too long. The real skill will be texturing and rendering them properly which is a lifelong learning experience.
>>
>>522449

Mirror tool.
>>
>>522378
No one?
>>
>>522449
rotate by 90°
>>
Is there a place where I can find free ecorché maps for DAZ3D?
>>
File: 0234938.jpg (274KB, 1069x842px) Image search: [Google]
0234938.jpg
274KB, 1069x842px
How do I add threads in Solidworks? Surely I don't have to model them, do I?
>>
File: 1463089906048.png (7KB, 312x161px) Image search: [Google]
1463089906048.png
7KB, 312x161px
Question about Blender

I didn't know we had a 3d graphics board so i made a thread on /gd

http://boards.4chan.org/gd/thread/269822/

In short, I know very little about it but need to make an animation of a line progressively connecting points.

I have thousands of points, and I know how to import them into blender. But that's about it.

Can someone at least point me in the right direction?
>>
>>522588
usually most people make data-driven graphics/documents with d3:
>D3.js - D3 is a JavaScript library for visualizing data with HTML, SVG, and CSS.

also not sure about blender but in c4d you can copy/paste the xyz coordinates and keyframe an spline animation passing through them (however it would take forever if there's too many points). another option could be on after effects there's a set of tools called "expressions" designed for automating animations without make them look repetitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZKs75RMqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMFgS6w3BY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zg-C8AAIGg
>>
>>522596

Damn, I was hoping it would be straight forward in blender.
>>
File: 1280px-ThreadingTaps.jpg (170KB, 1280x910px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-ThreadingTaps.jpg
170KB, 1280x910px
>>522542
You do, but you're not supposed to. Threads in engineering are usually only defined in cad and almost exclusively done in a post process. The only exception being 3d printing and molding(nobody molds threads to any kind of material, though, cause it's retarded). The reason being the threading process is not only easier, it's more accurate than what any mold/print can provide. I guess in english the word is tap, pic related. Anyway, back to the topic, if you want one, you need to model it, most likely with a helix and a profile or something, ask google.
A fast check reveals that they added a fast thread function of sorts.
http://help.solidworks.com/2016/English/WhatsNew/c_thread_wizard.htm
So I guess, you don't need to model them by hand anymore.
>>
File: screencast0001-0254.webm (728KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
screencast0001-0254.webm
728KB, 1280x720px
>>522588
Blender is not a program with 1 click solutions.
But, fortunately for you, many people have already invented the water.
Here, anon, just for you.
Here's the script.
http://pastebin.com/u0pKJ3xC

Also, if you don't want them curving, set the preview/render resolution of the curve to 1.
>>
File: am I retarded.jpg (142KB, 1233x720px) Image search: [Google]
am I retarded.jpg
142KB, 1233x720px
I posted in the WIP thread but maybe some of you in this thread can help, please?

>>522606
>>
>>522610

First, you should've specified if this is for a game or for 3d.

>1. How do I get the shadows/edges harder on this armor? I've tried lots of edge hardening and normal averaging and shit and this is as distinguished as I can get it. Do I need different colors/materials to make it stand out or should it be able to be as obvious as it should be just with basic lambert boloney?
I don't know how it's done in maya or whatever this program is, but in Blender there's a function called auto-smooth, it basically smooths faces based on the relative angle of their connected faces, usually an angle of 60 works fine. Another option is to add an edge split modifier, which it does what you think it does, it splits every face(depending on the angle), so it basically creates separate objects and smooths them accordingly to their geometry. So you need to find the alternative of those in your application. Another option is to manually select the faces and set their shading.

>2. Why do quads or tris only matter? I was told to keep it all one or the other but never the reason why. This guy is wholly quads and correct edge numbers and that's how I model, but I don't know why.
Because quads can be subdivided without problems, you can always make 4 faces from a quad, whereas there is ambiguity with triangles and ngons, the program cannot read your mind as to how you want to subdivide them. Quads only is an artist process, it helps modellers model. Modelling in tris is a thing too, for a art style called faux-poly.
>>
>>522610
>3. Mixamo gave all their animations away a while ago and I got all the ones I could ever think about using, but I'm not sure how to take what I have and rig it so it works with what they have. I can animate in maya but I've never rigged so I don't know if I need to exactly match what mixamo does or if it would be easier to rig and animate it on my own. How hard is rigging and applying animations?
Not that easy, you can match bones, but it's not a process that I can put in a post on /3/. But a short explanation would be, that every bone controls how a group of vertices(you define) transform based on the bone's position. This number can be easily defined, it's usually a float ranging from 0 to 1. Usually for hard surface objects, like an armor, they don't bend, so you gotta put a weight of 1, that means the whole mesh is going to move along with the bone. But I'm not really a rigger, so I can't guide you properly, you need to look at tutorials and more information. Monkey see monkey do is usually the best method of learning anything. Of course knowing the science behind it helps.

>4. Is it possible to apply different UV maps to the same object? I'd like to get a lot of detail going but I don't think that's possible without cutting corners if I do it all in one UV. Could I make one for the shoulder armor, then one for the chest, then one for the helmet, etc?
It's both possible to have different UV maps for one object or for different faces of the object and to have 1 UV map with different materials, as well as different UV maps with different materials. In 3d programs, it's easy, you create two or more materials, you select the faces you want to use this material and then assign it to them. For games, I think most engines don't support more than one material per mesh, so you gotta use one texture.

Btw, most people here are self-taught, there's no shame in asking.
>>
>>522436
only if you're really great at it.
>>
>>522613
>>522614

Thank you very much for your answers.

Yeah it will be for a game and that's why I asked the multiple UV question; I've never used more than a single UV set per "object" in Unity or Unreal but I hoped there might have been some trick around it I never had heard of.

I'll look for the face/edge splitting tools in Maya, I've always been fairly shaky on normals and their magic so I'll look for that and I'll look up some guides.

Thanks again, dawg :)
>>
>>522616

Don't fall for the multiple uv meme. You are just going to be faffing about with settings and extra baking time for everything. Adds loads of hours to a project.
>>
>>522616

Also if you want to make the edges harder you have to define smoothing groups. Don't know what program you are using.
>>
>>522609

Thank you based anon
>>
File: halp.png (823KB, 1304x1462px) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
823KB, 1304x1462px
Thoughts on this? Topology is deforming really well but the front outline looks... off. Maybe a little masculine. Look off to anyone else too or have I just been looking at it for too long?
>>
>>522651
wider hips, female shouldn't are narrow, longer neck, lower breasts, longer fingers etc

this is the problem with anime tho, its hard to translate the proportions to 3d.
what you should do i make actual female proportions first then adjust it to anime
>>
Add-ons. Is there a good way to have an add-on made for Maya with python work in another program that has python compatibility?
>>
>>522651

No nipples.
>>
Maya fag here.Why would someone use modo for making corrugated movie pop out? I thought those posters were made using illustrator or Photoshop. Saw in a job offer? Just curious.
>>
>>522651
Side view looks alright for anime proportions in my opinion, but the front profile just looks really weird
Put your image over a front view of an anime character to gauge the proportion difference or something
>>
Is it possible to build a budget PC (around $500) for modeling and rendering?
>>
>>522914
Modeling, yes. Rendering, no, or yes if you don't mind waiting an eternity for it to render.
>>
>>522915
What's the minimal budget for rendering PC? Should I focus on CPU or GPU rendering?
>>
>>522920
ram and cpu
>>
>>522920
To get rendering down to a decent level you need the processing power of at least 10 or so personal computers on hand.

You wont have good rendering capability this side of a few thousand bucks.
>>
>>522931
you can just rent time on a farm. Everyone who's anyone in this industry uses a farm.
>>
File: balls.png (181KB, 679x523px) Image search: [Google]
balls.png
181KB, 679x523px
Oh god why is it doing that? Too much perspective?
>>
>>522651
shoulders look too manly
>>
I'm trying to just make a continent/open world with buildings and stuff. I'm perfectly fine with using premade assets, I just need it for reference. How should I go about making this? It needs to be the size of a country with a few distinct biomes.
>>
Any decent resources for female reference/model/character sheets? Tried pinterest, DeviantArt and Google images so far.
>>
>>523329
>2d reference
try vr porn kid. I hope you have a vive by now, if not, jesus christ.
>>
>>523330
Thanks, your input is valued.
>>
simple question, sorry if it's one you get a lot:

>Simplest/most accessible software/method of doing quick lighting mockups for painting, illustrations, concept work etc.

I'm an illustrator who has put off building a serious sense of 3d lighting for a very long time. Lately I've committed a lot to lighting studies, still life etc but I'm trying to bridge the gap between studying lighting from life and applying to concept work.
In the past I would build crude physical models and light them manually to get a basic feel for what i was going for, but I can't help but think there must be a better way to do mockups like this.
I have very little free time to commit to learning new software but see this as such a valuable tool that I'm prepared for whatever learning curve is required, but realistically just want the simplest way to mock up basic lighting and geometric shapes to begin with. me.

Ultimately suggestions for both software and beginner documentation is what I'm after. Many thanks in advance, I have very little exposure to 3d and apologise if this is a stupid question.
>>
File: head.png (313KB, 656x569px) Image search: [Google]
head.png
313KB, 656x569px
Reading through a 3D/CG generalist magazine and I spotted this.

I swear there's something off about this head's shapes, but I can't quite place my finger on it. Or am I an idiot?
>>
>>523358
Well his hairline is both lopsided to the right and incredibly low but besides that looks like a normal head to me.
>>
File: cleanchair vs dirtychair.png (26KB, 969x526px) Image search: [Google]
cleanchair vs dirtychair.png
26KB, 969x526px
is there any reason why I should leave on the extra geometry on the second mesh?
I'm thinking i should simplify the mesh for efficiency sake but I can't find anything about it online.
>>
>>523358
Looks like a classic perspective fuck-up. The guy used a long distance narrow FOV image for a head as reference
Then probably sclupted the head in a perspective with wider FOV to look like his reference image.
So he built in a narrower perspective into a wider one thereby creating an overly wedge shaped skull as seen from above with too narrow a face.
>>
>>523358
To me, and I'm no expert, it looks like the render was done with no perspective distortion, giving it a bit of an odd look to the human eye. It looks like a bit of a wide head.

And his ears look pretty low on the skull, but that might be because of the angle.
>>
>>523368
The left chair is not ideal topology because it has n-gons (polygons with more than 4 sides). This will cause issues with rendering down the road, and isn't considered good practice. It will also mess with the edgeflow of the topology.

The one on the right looks like a proper mesh that has all quads. It is good practice to do it like the one on the right.
>>
>>523358
The shadow on his cheek makes the bone look really low, it's an illusion. And yeah that hairline is low.
>>
>>523333
echoing this, I'm mostly just curious as to what is the standard go-to for this sort of thing, I get a lot of people asking and I never know what to suggest
>>
>>520348
Keep on studying, dude. I care.
>>
>>522435
Shouldn't you be looking at real-time 3d stuff, instead of hanging out with a bunch of nerds who jerk over topology?

I can't imagine how you would do an a/v show with the stuff people use here, like mayas and shit.
>>
>>523378
Yeah, his ears are growing out of his cheeks, that's why.
>>
Does a good OpenCL renderer exist, for those of us with AMD cards? Would be nice if it worked with Cinema4D, but if not, that's fine too.

If there's a program that has a GPU-powered viewport that renders in near-realtime like Octane, I might even switch over to that program entirely. Rendering out everything and having to wait each time has got real boring, real fast.
>>
>>523407
vray, redshift, lux
>>
>>523380
the UVs seem like it would be messy with the chair on the right cuz of all the extra faces and stuff but yeah your point makes a lot of sense to me
thanks for the reply
>>
>>523407
> OpenCL renderer
> GPU-powered viewport
Cycles? My HD7950 works pretty good.
>>
File: skeleton in motion.gif (235KB, 182x200px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton in motion.gif
235KB, 182x200px
Is there a way for me to render in Mental Ray using my GTX 980 rather than my i7? Seems kind of odd that Mental Ray is developed by NVIDIA but it can't even render using their graphics cards.
>>
File: TooBright.png (41KB, 817x621px) Image search: [Google]
TooBright.png
41KB, 817x621px
I found a nice theme for Blender that I like, but the only thing that's wrong with it is that the small grid colour is too bright/contrasting with the dark. How do I change it? There's only an option for the large grid colour in the settings, is the smaller one dependent on something?
>>
Where do I get high-quality reference images of people for sculpting? Searching on google is a pain because you have to sift through loads of shit. Is there a better option?
>>
>>520335
Solidworks is better. From what I know Maya is mostly an animator's/ game dev's tool. Solidworks is specifically designed to make models that enter production/ manufacturing.
>>
>>523508
CGPeers. Good torrent site for 3D/CG artists. Has a good amount of professional reference images.
>>
>>523508
prefer using video for sculpting, seeing the subject you try to mimic in motion tells you if something is off in your interpretation of a shape better than looking at images.
For anatomy there is absolutely no shortage of video of naked people on the interwebs.
>>
>>523488
Mental Ray isn't a GPU renderer numbnuts
Look at Octane if you want that kind of shit
>>
File: A E S T H E T I C.png (17KB, 1179x786px) Image search: [Google]
A E S T H E T I C.png
17KB, 1179x786px
>>523505
I'll tell you if I find it, in the mean time, A E S T H E T I C.

Also, how do I turn on the small grid?
>>
>>523594
AFAIK it's only available in 2D views, not 3D.
>>
File: why.png (222KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
222KB, 1920x1080px
Why does my viewport keep doing this? It goes away after I click on it, but it gets in the way regardless
>>
File: line shading.jpg (88KB, 1643x710px) Image search: [Google]
line shading.jpg
88KB, 1643x710px
Someone asked how to replicate jetset radio graphics but deleted their thread before I could provide the answer. I post it here instead.
Others might find this trick useful too.

To create such lines you use a copy of your character geometry that is displaced along the normal to be larger than the character itself, then color it the color of your lines (dark gray, but not black).
Then the normals are flipped. This can be done trough a shader at run time, or by simply using additional geometry. Pic related explains.
>>
>>523618
thats the naive, old, worse looking way to do it. You always want to use the stencil buffer for outlines
>>
>>523620
Makes no sense to me. Should just give you the outline of the entire mesh element, have any link of this being done the way you imply?
>>
>>523621
the stencil buffer for outlines has been common practice for over 10 years. Do a google search. Flipping normals can cause uneven outline width. Using the stencil buffer does not.
>>
>>523623
How do you use stencil buffer ? Also I read that the paperman Disney animation used a technique where they calculated the screen normals and pushed like 1 or 2 pixels along those normal directions to create outlines which give you a constant width.
>>
>>523624
you only get constant width against certain basic objects. How you use the stencil buffer depends on how its exposed in your rendering engine
>>
>>523625
additionally, pixar uses cpu, when we're talking about the stencil buffer being a stage on the gpu
>>
File: 1391741126273.jpg (227KB, 1246x859px) Image search: [Google]
1391741126273.jpg
227KB, 1246x859px
What are some different ways to easily navigate complex scenes in blender.
Say, several detailed city blocks with cars and pedestrians.
Groups/layers?
>>
>>523695
use a program thats coded to use the latest and greatest gpu paths so it can handle hundreds of thousands of objects
>>
>>523695
name everything in the scene,resue materials
groups and layers too, you can switch scenes if you need it
>>
>>523178
I figured out that I could use Unreal. But, I don't know where to get started on making a large, expansive landmass. Help?
>>
>>523701
google maps
>>
>>523701
world machine
>>
File: 2016-05-21_20-41-30.png (152KB, 706x763px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-21_20-41-30.png
152KB, 706x763px
For a hard surface model, how would I construct the edge loops and terminations for a model like this? Assuming the red lines should be smooth and the rest hard, and with as little distortion as possible.
>>
>>519641
Bumpin'. Still trying to find someone.I think my usual guy might be dead...
>>
>>523711
I don't really have money to get programs willy nilly.

I think >>523702 has the right idea, I'll look at google maps for reference and work on it bit by bit.
>>
>>523712

Use more polygons.
>>
>>523736
thepiratebay

cgpeers

cgpersia
>>
File: uvw_mirror.png (311KB, 1236x818px) Image search: [Google]
uvw_mirror.png
311KB, 1236x818px
How do I mirror a texture's wrapping UVW space?

In pic related the areas circled in blue should mirror the other half of its UVW space (guitar back and tuners)

Is there some application setting so the texture mirror wraps? I've messed with the material's tiling etc but I have no idea how to do this.
>>
>>523762
I think in your instance, it has less to do with the UV space, but your geometry. Bring it back to quads, and have a clean edge going down through the center where you want to have the mirroring take place. From there, it's a matter of having the now bisected UVs and mirroring them, rather than the texture.
>>
File: NoCurve.png (83KB, 1175x604px) Image search: [Google]
NoCurve.png
83KB, 1175x604px
I'm trying to get a cylinder to follow this curve, but it's not working for some reason. I can't find what I'm doing wrong. Following the instructions on the Blender page (https://www.blender.org/manual/modeling/curves/editing/deform.html) gives me the same results for the monkey, but not for the cylinders. What's going on?
>>
>>523828
Uh, try adding some divisions along the Y axis, maybe? Looks like you're trying to bend too little polys.
>>
What's the best way to model a lot of holes? As in, what approaches are there? The two I know of don't seem to cut it.

The SubD way I know is semi-manually beveling points one by one, but it's really tedious for a large number of holes.
The boole method fucks up the geometry, making it hard to use with SubD. Those are the two I know.

Any other ways?

I'm trying to do the holes like on the monitor on the picture, though it's obviously not the only case.
>>
>>523855
i would use separate plane with a hole and array it along an axis/curve
then if you want to optiimze your model retopo and bake it to a normal map
you could also block out the basic shape of the computer screen then paint height information directly to make the holes. you can even make a custom brush to speed up the process
>>
>>523854
Oh. Damn. That cleared it right up. Not sure what I was expecting with nothing to bend there. Haven't done something like this in too long I guess.
>>
File: th.jpg (9KB, 350x268px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9KB, 350x268px
Does anyone know why Blender is rendering my viewport and not the video editor? it was rendering the video editor just fine but then after a few test renders of a material i was making, it just switched over to rendering just the viewport
>>
In blender when I press E why is duplicating an item as opposed to extruding it ?
>>
>>523883
check the splash screen and see what preset you have it set to
>>
>>523885
then move it with g while still selected
you can also do E X (insert number) as example
>>
what do you think about Autodesk Inventor?
>>
>>523883
it is xtruding it, the vertices/faces/edges are connected.
>>
If I have various cameras in Cinema4D how can I select which one to use for the render window?

I can't find a way to do it like in Maya where you use the drop down menu to select the camera.
>>
Anyone else having trouble with basic selections in maya 2016 extension 2 ? Everything worked fine up until extension 2 update.
>>
Exactly how much different does a derivative mesh have to be in order not to be considered to be infringing copyright?

I'm asking because I took the base meshes from a couple of commercial games and basically made a character out of combining them and doing some modifications. Textures and animations would be custom. But I'm worried about them having the grounds to sue.

I'm not sure there is a precise answer to this. But hopefully there is some legal precedent.
>>
>>524065
that's not legal. its legal to use IMM brushes or plugins if you paid for it but not taking someone else work and modify it
>>
File: 3SBkR.png (23KB, 425x302px) Image search: [Google]
3SBkR.png
23KB, 425x302px
>>524067
Thanks for the response.

>that's not legal
That's what I'm wondering. Is it?

I think other media such as music are too different to make comparisons, but if we take a look into 2D art:
- Final Fantasy and Terraria (pic related). The later took the originals and changed them a bit. Has become one of the best selling games of all time. No grounds for suing.
- Final Fantasy and Penny Arcade
- Megaman and Dead Pixels
- Seiken Densetsu 3 and Crystal Kingdom
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden and lots of game

BSUaJG is freeware, my work would be too.

My guess is if people can get away with it when using 2D sprites, the same can be applied to 3D meshes. But how different should they be, exactly, is what I don't know.
>>
File: asdf.png (115KB, 1456x822px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
115KB, 1456x822px
What do you model after making a passable teapot?
>>
>>524083
render it faster
>>
>>524068
having a mesh from makehuman and have it covered with ninja silk from head to toe is an example
>>
>>524083
something harder
>>
>>524092

such as?
>>
Is there a way in blender to show me how long an edge is?
>>
>>524097
Make a detailed weapon, jesus just make anything. Make something you want to make, have some creativity or even barely a little drive
>>
File: 3490584.png (13KB, 1204x29px) Image search: [Google]
3490584.png
13KB, 1204x29px
What happened to the radio buttons that let you choose between being able to select vertices, faces, and edges?

Or am I going insane?
>>
>>524116
Nevermind, I'm retarded. Wasn't in editing mode.
>>
>>524116
>>524117
I swear some people just cant even try to solve the problem.
>>
>>524098
I think it's in the properties panel. Press N, it should be there somewhere. You can also switch between units, metric, and imperial systems in the scene tab.
>>
Has anyone here had experience with selling vidya game models or textures through gumroad? Is it worth bothering with or should I prioritize other sites, like asset store and ue4 marketplace?
>>
>>524121

Most artists who make tutorials there said they make fuck all. Tor Frick said he wont be making any new tutorials.

As far as basic models go you wont be able to compete with xna lara.

For unity I would focus on a highly customizable, rigged and animated character.

Because retards like Jim Sterling kept going on about prominent unity assets people are avoiding old popular ones. Like youtube or anything else you would just need to have a steady stream of quality content that people actually want.
>>
File: 89920463.jpg (112KB, 1076x743px) Image search: [Google]
89920463.jpg
112KB, 1076x743px
Can you export solid works models to something like blender? I want to design things with measurements, but render them in blender.

>Modeling software is shit for measurements
>Cad software is shit at rendering
>>
>>524194
Yes. Export them as an STL.

I've done it for sure before; you just have to Save As and find the STL extension in the list.
>>
File: 58558647.png (29KB, 227x367px) Image search: [Google]
58558647.png
29KB, 227x367px
>>524201
Thanks m8.
>>
File: help.jpg (303KB, 1371x795px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
303KB, 1371x795px
I have a question

how can I unwrap pic related to see as less as possible cutlines.

I/we want to have fluid or something go through it and don't know the best way to do it.

if you have other suggestions like other methods, please let me know!
>>
>>524211
>want to have fluid or something go through it
Is it supposed to be made of a uniform material?
>>
no alien stuff.

there is supposed to be flowing some green liquid going through it but because those 2 pipes are stitched together there is a annoying cutline who brakes the flowing animation
>>
>>524228
woops forgot to >>524218
>>
in modo how can I get context sensitive menus like in maya?

ie in maya when I'm in edge select mode and shift+RMB I get a bunch of edge options like bevel, edge loop, edge loop slide
>>
>>524228
>flowing animation
Is this something inside the tube, or part of the texture, or...? If it's the texture, try making it tileable if possible. Or at least tileable where teh seams are. Other than that, your best bet is probably the inseam.
>>
>>524246
What are the limitations of Sculptris? Can I be really good with it and end up not needing Zbrush?
>>
File: Sculptris.jpg (273KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Sculptris.jpg
273KB, 1280x800px
>>524278
I can't say, as I've never used ZBrush. Sculptris seems reasonably advanced, if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>524284
looks like feces.
>>
Sculptris is a really good program considering it hasn't been updated in forever (and never will be). I used to get by with Sculptris as my sculpting program until I eventually bought 3DCoat.

Sculptris should be a textbook study on how to make a GUI. It's very easy to learn just playing around with it.
>>
I'm trying to take a peek at some game models and after extracting them, I found that they're in a ".xac" format that none of my software seem to recognize.

Seems like it's some kind of proprietary format used by a program called Emotion FX.

Does anyone know if there's a plugin or script to import these .xac files into blender or 3DSMax?
>>
Which is better when creating characters, Blender or ZBrush?
>>
>enjoy playing with muh 3d Barbie dolls in XNALara
>some Blender models I'd like to use
>"let's see if I can convert these, how hard could it be"
I know nothing about 3D programs and I'm tearing my hair out. Has anybody done this before?
>>
>>524293
Depends on final mesh's purpose. Probably both.

Make a low poly mesh in Blender, export it to Zbrush and proceed to sculpt it.
>>
Using maya, I have a body and a head as separate meshes. Is there any way to copy the skin weights from the neck loop on the body to the neck loop on the head without copypasting them one by one?
>>
File: normal head.png (192KB, 1176x629px) Image search: [Google]
normal head.png
192KB, 1176x629px
>>518028
i am still learning to rig models. the rest of the bones all warp the mesh predictably but the bones in the head shrink and fold the head when i move them. i can't figure out for the life of me what i did wrong since the rest of the bones all work. here's an example of the mesh un-posed.
>>
File: posed head.png (190KB, 1176x631px) Image search: [Google]
posed head.png
190KB, 1176x631px
>>524505
and an example of the mesh when i try to pose the head.
>>
>>524506
There's a possibility you weighted them wrong (i.e. a vertex is "attached" to more than one bone).

Try isolating it so the mouth is attached to only the mouth bone, head to head bone, etc. and see if that helps any.
>>
>>524513
you have no idea how much you just helped me. thank you so much.
>>
>>524533
I have some idea - I remember being frustrated as all hell by bones and weighting; it was a nightmare to get working the first time. I'm happy I could help someone else bypass at least part of that.
>>
>>524535
now i get to be frustrated with animating it, hooray!
>>
File: pain.png (38KB, 791x775px) Image search: [Google]
pain.png
38KB, 791x775px
When Animating in blender. I wanted a have like this organic looking button where his finger was being swallowed(warping around it) like sticking a finger in jell-o. without breaking the overall shape of the button warping around every knuckle.
Pick was made in 1 min as an example.
>>
File: Untitled.png (24KB, 440x402px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24KB, 440x402px
>>524231
I don't know, but modo seems to have a really weird logic, if it has any at all.

There's a similar right-click menu, though. You have to click directly on an element, not outside of it. If that's not enough, you probably could create a new one or change the default one, but I don't know how. It's a clusterfuck to me.
>>
>>524286
What would you say is the easiest sculpting program to pick up?

Or is it worth starting on something more difficult, so you don't have to switch later?

I'm trying to choose a sculpting program, but there's just so much choice and I don't want sink hundreds of hours on poorly thought-out GUIs and shit.
>>
Can I post threads about 3D posing programs here or is /3/ strictly for modeling?

I'm trying to decide between learning xnalara, gmod, mmd, and source filmmaker but am not sure if I should post about it here, on /aco/, on /ic/, or on /v/.
>>
>>524623
>GMod
Definitely the easiest (and probably cheapest, excluding SFM) to start with to learn constraints and such, but you might have an issue with the "floppiness" of ragdolls
>SFM
Seen a lot of success with this, seems like new people pick it up super quickly, but I've never tried it myself

No opinion on the other two
>>
I'm looking for someone to Rig a simple human model, But I don't know how much it would cost?
>>
>>524716
Give me $40 and I'll do it
>>
>>524746
Sure.
>>
Been 3ding for 6 months now, and I've got to the point where I need to know the answer to this query.

I'm using Maya 2015, and there're times where an edge loop just will not wrap around the whole object, like it ends on a certain edge leaving one of the faces bare, why is this?

I assume it's got something to do with merging vertices or something, but I just can never seem to put my finger on the actual cause. Is there anything obvious I should be looking out for?
>>
File: tube.jpg (215KB, 841x1173px) Image search: [Google]
tube.jpg
215KB, 841x1173px
>>524765

It will only loop around quads is that what you mean?
>>
in zbrush how do you import obj as a subtool with the least amount of hassle

you can obviously switch tools but i can't edit the previous tool i worked with or it simply merge itself with my previous tool for no reason and then i find out its a graphical glitch and didn't really happen
>>
Can I use the compositor to fix my rendered animation in blender or is the compositor only for pre-rendered images?
>>
What's a good way to learn modelling? As a hobby, I just want to make various neat things in 3D, no interest in "working in PRODUCTION".

So, my question is this: What is the best program for modelling, and what is the best way to learn it? I don't want to spread myself thin on 10 programs deciding which one is best, I'm willing to go with what other people believe to be good.

It doesn't have to be perfect, I just don't want to spend a lot of time on it and then realize that it can't do some simple thing. (As is the case with C4D, which is admittedly a bad program for modelling, but I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time)
>>
Should I sculpt form or anatomy?
>>
>>525595

3d Studio Max. Learn to use the stack to speed things up. 3d programs are just verts and edges. You can use any tutorial from any program and just adapt it to the program you are using. Maya seems to have the most tutorials on youtube.
>>
>>525595
Everybody shits on it, but Blender is a relatively simple [spoiler]inb4 BLUH BLUH UI[/spoiler] and reasonably powerful program. It's not bad to learn how to model on, if you don't want to work in production like you said.

>make various neat things in 3D
3D printing, by chance? Or just pretty renders?
>>
File: doesitmatter.png (51KB, 379x316px) Image search: [Google]
doesitmatter.png
51KB, 379x316px
Is Anyone willing to help a random dude on skype?
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.