[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Don't waste time box modeling in this day and age. Go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: Zbrush-Character-Modeling-5.jpg (92KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Zbrush-Character-Modeling-5.jpg
92KB, 960x540px
>Don't waste time box modeling in this day and age. Go straight into zbrush and dyna mesh up some shit. Retopo later.

Is he right /3/?
>>
>>516359
yes
>>
File: 1444329159729.gif (1MB, 209x180px) Image search: [Google]
1444329159729.gif
1MB, 209x180px
I am right you know.
>>
>>516359
Depends, if it's is organic stuff mostly yes, if it's non-organic stuff, rather not. In the end, just do whatever works best for you.
>>
he is somewhat right
but you can still box model things and paint normals directly on the models so i guess its not that big of a difference
>>
>>516365
>but you can still box model things and paint normals directly on the models so i guess its not that big of a difference
?
>>
File: 740px-NormalMapExample.jpg (25KB, 740x458px) Image search: [Google]
740px-NormalMapExample.jpg
25KB, 740x458px
>>516366
you can draw bump information on a model in real time
of course there is a limit on the height information, but im not 100% sure somewhat correct me on that
>>
File: example.jpg (44KB, 790x640px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
44KB, 790x640px
>>516368
someone*

here is an example
>>
>>516368
>>516369
what is your point with all this? You're creating a tangent space normal map from projection painting onto uvs from the viewport instead of in photoshop. So what?
>>
id say start with box then go sculpt

burt its all PREFERANCE
>>
>>516359
mostly but..
>>516364
>>516365
It's what i usually do tho, but most of my work is organic
>>
>>516359
Can we all please stop with the Zbrush shitposting?
>>
>>516359
Only on organics for the most part.
>>
>>516370
so you are not forced to sculpt hard surface and retopo bake
>>
Is this the memebrush thread?
>>
Tell me this... if you want to make a 3D model, regardless of how detailed, lets just say "Somewhere between pixar smooth and that op post photo." - Can you animate this model? I've never looked into digital sculpting as I'm learning to draw, traditional / digital to a certain skill level before I even both to look at 3D modeling or sculpting.
>>
>>516395
you can animate any model granted it got good topology
>>
>>516395

As long as it's low poly enough so it's malleable. You can always subdivide it later.
>>
>>516359
>Is he right /3/?
Only if he's a pixologic salesman
>>
Zbrush is nigger
>>
>>516359
Look at any product, game or movie, out there. Start counting the number of over-detailed blob demons to the number of clean surfaces.

The ratio between those that will give you the relevance of poly modelling 'in this day and age'...

>dyna mesh up some shit.

mfw truer than intended.
>>
>>516359
blob demonology aside, I gotta admit I respect an artist that sneaks in a lava vagina in the forehead of his creature design.
>>
>>516359
For organic?
Yes.
For hardsurf?
No, industry is moving towards medpoly
>>
>>516368
Yeah you can.
That's how I've been doing my hardsurface and as long as you don't make it obvious that you're doing it, it's neat.
>>
File: zbrush.jpg (16KB, 487x119px) Image search: [Google]
zbrush.jpg
16KB, 487x119px
So do you guys use editable mesh or editable poly. I hear nurbs are all the rage now.
>>
>>516459
>Start counting the number of over-detailed blob demons to the number of clean surfaces.
god jesus yes. Everyone does overdesigned shit and thinks he's better for it. Finding clean, memeroable designs is near impossible.
>>
File: 1448209732962.gif (465KB, 405x253px) Image search: [Google]
1448209732962.gif
465KB, 405x253px
>>516476
>overdetailed meme
>overdesigned meme
>>
>>516478
>meme meme
>meme meme
>>
>>516359
Diablo The 2nd was the best Diablo D=
>>
>>516459
>>516476
Seems like i am not the only one.
I even like high frequency detailed stuff. But most of the overdesigned stuff serves no purpose and is just there to fill the space and distract the eyes.
>>
Pretty much.

unless its a hard surface character. or you need lots of precision.
>>
learn the box basics and then move on to sculpting.
>>
>>516368
>bump
normals. bumps are one-dimensional.
>limit on height information
The limit is in the precision of the image format you're using to store the file.
It can go as "high" as it wants, but if you go too high, you'll lose detail because you can only store so much height information in 8 bits.
>>
>>516654
Well, that's for bump maps anyway.
Normal maps are more immune. Level of detail is less related to color channel and more related to the image resolution. Although in the case of normals, height really has nothing to do with it, since it encodes the direction of the normal vector, resulting in an accurate reproduction.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.