[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so what do u guys think of gnomon? is it a good school? worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

so what do u guys think of gnomon?

is it a good school?

worth going there if you are serious about the industry?

heard a lot of good things about it and heard some bad saying "not worth the money" but compared to other schools its pretty cheep. like in NYC SVA (art school) its like 65k per semester while gnomon is like 20k
>>
>worth going there if you are serious about the industry?
>the industry

Which industry mate? If you're "serial" you need to put shitloads of time in - years - and it wont matter if you go to school or not. Similar to how Quentin Tarantino didnt go to film school but look where he is now - he loves film so he mad it work ...somehow. With 3d its even easier because all the equipment is on the computer...
>>
>>516271
but you cant act like getting 2-3 years of professional training is the same as sitting at home and watching youtube tutorials.

not to mention in this line of work you need contacts..
>>
>>516270
its worth, basicly a 2 or 3 year bootcamp for the industry. obv you can learn this shit on your own it will take longer and it might be hard to know how to work at production speed. gnomon sorta forces you to be good and efficent because of how insane the program is.

having a job while going to gnomon will significantly affect your work negatively. its almost impossible to do have a job and go there.

your life will be gnomon and nothing else for 2-3 years, but when you get out you will be a badass. i always think of this shit when i i think of gnomon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4C-A3kgJg
>>
>>516274
well if i go i have to work... cuz i dont live in LA i gotta move there
>>
>>516275
just learn on your own lad, gnomon or any skill isnt worth it. Put your own hours in, listen to feng

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s
>>
>>516285
*school
>>
>>516285
thats a pretty shitty advice seeing as the entirety is swarming with "self thought" mediocre artist with no idea how to work in studio environment and who cant get a job because they got no contacts and no one gives 2 shits to look at their work.

if you have the money. gnomon will teach you 6 years of self thought knowledge in 2-3 years, get you ready to work at top studios and send you off into the world with a slid portfolio and even a job before you even graduate...
>>
>>516290
>thats a pretty shitty advice seeing as the entirety is swarming with "self thought" mediocre artist with no idea how to work in studio environment and who cant get a job because they got no contacts and no one gives 2 shits to look at their work.
Wew lad. Project much? If you truly get gud people will pay you for your work belive me,,. If you want to not put hours in and get a school teacher to spoonfeed you because you have no motivation at best you'll be doing some background fx for Thor 7 by the time you graduate...and thats where that ride will end...
>>
>>516293
ive actually had the opportunity in few studios to look at potential employee portfolios. everyone that was self thought was pretty shit and had no experience in anything. problem with being self thought is you cant see your own flaws. and the internet isnt a reliable place to get advice on your work.

and students from shitty unknown schools had cookie cookie, boring and dull portfolios that you could tell were spoonfed by their mediocre professors...
>>
>>516295
I think you're drawing conclusions from flawed data and now are really angry that anyone is challenging your view.
>>
>>516296
>now are really angry that anyone is challenging your view.

fight me irl. ill fuck you up. 1v1, first fight

no just my thing is. self thought isn't reliable if your looking to actually make 3D your long term career
>>
>>516300
not that guy but i want to get an opinion

iv been using blender for over a year now, and im pretty damn fast at this point,training daily.
problem is the only "serious" course in my country that teachers production level is using both maya and mudbox which are tools i have no idea how to use, the school is fairly small and they have a small number of graduates that actually made a name for themselves outshore
>>
>>516271
I only started 3d 4 years ago in uni and since I work hard and go in every day I have job offers in 3d inna AAA and AA studios nearby even before the school is over.

Getting inna industry is more about work ethic and networking. Can you do 3D for 13 hours avarage every day for a month straight?
>>
>>516302
3d princibles are the same across platforms. If you can write with a pencil you can write with a brush.

I went to small noname uni and it ended pretty damn well for me. It's less about the uni and more about you. Go in every day, work hard, do extra work and ditch your personal life in favor of your future.
>>
>>516304
its more like a personal class with some industry teacher rather than uni
>do extra work and ditch your personal life in favor of your future.
i can do 3d for several hours a day, any longer feels like im stretching out
>>
>>516305
Well then maybe 3d inna industry is what you want to do.
8 hours a day minimum and then you have crunches.

And personal class with industry teacher is what uni is. Atleast that's what my uni was.
>>
>>516300
>self thought isn't reliable if your looking to actually make 3D your long term career

*Yawn*.

They say that about sports too - like "if you dont go to college you'll be worse", If you "enter the draft right from high school you're going to be be working at mcdonalds 11/10 times". And yet we have Lebron James and Kobe Bryant both never having going to college and both being statistically two of the best players in history, etc
>>
>>516327
so 2 people out of how many attempts?
they had training too, they didnt just go play basketball by themselves in an ally somewhere and POOF great.
>>
>>516329
yeah well you run tests in all areas.
can he bake maps without fucking up? can he do proper retopology? can he keep on time frames? is he proficient with organic and hard surface?
you don't just look at pretty portfolio and give it a go
>>
>>516329
>so 2 people out of how many attempts?
?
Theres more than 2, those are the most recent. College is a scam for sports - now its mandated that you have to go for a year. Its a scam for 3d as well.

>they had training too, they didnt just go play basketball by themselves in an ally somewhere and POOF great.
You can't play basketball by yourself mate. That's like playing baseball by yourself in a batting cage.
>>
>>516334
college helps good players that most likely not make it, become good enough to make it. and you know, they go to college and get smarter or somthing stupid like that.

for 3d, i agree for the most part. MOST schools for 3d are a scam and dont do shit for you, but gnomon and probably only 2-3 other schools are even worth goinng to. but gnomon is defiantly worth
>>
>>516344
>college helps good players that most likely not make it, become good enough to make it.
define "make it". The average sports career is very short. Like under 5 years for nba, 3 for nfl. If you play 3 years in the nfl, you didnt really make it imo

>gnomon and probably only 2-3 other schools are even worth goinng to. but gnomon is defiantly worth
they say this about every school
>>
>>516349
i mean even a few years in a pro sport gets you over a million usd.

so what studio do you work at if you think that gnomon is such a scam
>>
>>516351
>i mean even a few years in a pro sport gets you over a million usd.
but you get let go because you're not good enough after only 3-5 years. I went to college with someone who was the first pick in the nba draft. I'd see this bum all the time in the dining halls. Now he's under 30 and literally plays in china he's so bad.

>so what studio do you work at if you think that gnomon is such a scam
I don't work in a studio, I freelance from home.
>>
File: BnEAeTnIAAAqc7X.jpg (24KB, 599x429px) Image search: [Google]
BnEAeTnIAAAqc7X.jpg
24KB, 599x429px
if you dont do 2d you are bad at making good forms and design in 3d.
this is now a gnomon general thread

i have officially given up on color theory finals this texture is impossible to paint detail on
>>
>>516344
>for 3d, i agree for the most part. MOST schools for 3d are a scam and dont do shit for you, but gnomon and probably only 2-3 other schools are even worth goinng to. but gnomon is defiantly worth
I am aware of gonomon and I go to one other and there's another school near me that have contributed people to the industry at good rates.

It's less about the school and more what you make of it. As long as the tutuors are inna industry, even avarage AAA company or freelance and you don't act like a dumb twat, you'll be fine.
>>
>>516356
This.
To be fair, inna industry, most of the time you'll have blueprints. But understanding form and volume is insanely important indeed. Coming from 2d meant I was instanty lightyears better than everyone who had done 3d as long as me or longer with no 2d background.

Wanna git gud? Go on /ic/ and problems solved
>>
File: 1455764845295.png (158KB, 417x405px) Image search: [Google]
1455764845295.png
158KB, 417x405px
>>516377
>To be fair, inna industry, most of the time you'll have blueprints. But understanding form and volume is insanely important indeed. Coming from 2d meant I was instanty lightyears better than everyone who had done 3d as long as me or longer with no 2d background.
have anything to back this up?
>>
>>516380
most important shit concept artists will make guidelinesan drawings for the 3d people.

If you are thinking >2d skills don't transfer to 3d
you're simply a fool.
>>
>>516383
have any work?
>>
>>516384
Havent finished uni, but 4 job offers, 2 of them in AAA and waiting results for an art test into a cute little AA studio
>>
>>516303
Part of this must have something to do with labor of love. I'm a self taught and as far as learning goes, all I really had is motivation, patience, and determination. I started with Corel Bryce in 1998, which was not even a modeler. Since then, I've spent hours and hours sharpening my skills and keeping myself open to new stuff. I always find myself excited at learning new softwares and plugins. I currently work as a project designer and junior architect for an architecture and design interior firm. Never went to 3D nor architect school. School or no school? It doesn't matter as long as you know how to deliver a high quality product to your clients.
>>
>>516383

my 3D skills are kinda transferring over to 2D

I never took 2D seriously and last time i practiced drawing was in 8th grade (im 22 now)

i know nothing about drawing or lighting but the other day i decided to paint something in Photoshop to see how bad i am, and i think with a little practice i can actually get good at it. .
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.