[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm starting to learn zbrush and I was wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_mkyylodg171qccjyio1_1280.jpg (326KB, 1280x1018px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkyylodg171qccjyio1_1280.jpg
326KB, 1280x1018px
Hey guys, I'm starting to learn zbrush and I was wondering if i could get a few things from experienced modelers, if its not to much.

First off, where do you get your concept art?
Can anyone provide me with some concept art that would serve as good practice ffor a beginner.

And lastly, long did it take you all to learn Zbrush?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
cgsociety
pinterest
personal blogs of those artists

I'd dump my massive hardsurface and mech folder if my internet wasnt so shit lately
>>
>>516202
>I'd dump my massive hardsurface and mech folder if my internet wasnt so shit lately
feng tzhu just talked about the trap of gathering too much reference. You fucked up boy
>>
>>516202
Hey, thanks mate. I really appreciate that. Know of any hard surface blogs? Also, hard surface tutorials or modelers that make tutorials.
>>
>>516203

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUbGJuAxTY

He must have done a 180 so.
>>
>>516203
> dont look at references guise its a trap
are you le serious ?
>>
>>516231
he said in his latest epidode "Learning on your own" that gathering too much reference is worthless. He says its like learning how to play basketball by watching it on tv. He also says that he doesnt need much real world reference because he designs things that dont exist yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s
>>
>>516232
> He also says that he doesnt need much real world reference because he designs things that dont exist yet.
Explains why he's shit and all his designs are garbage
>>
The trouble with Feng and other asian artists in general is they are obsessed with this tiger parenting 10k hours thing. You can absolutely improve greatly in a short period time with proper tuition. We have all seen artists on deviant art and such who put hours upon hours into art and still don't improve, some of them even get worse. I admire the guy he is a great artist but his teaching approach is wrong.
>>
File: 4405673-1419641297037.jpg (32KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
4405673-1419641297037.jpg
32KB, 600x375px
>>516233
>>
File: gallery_image_549[1].jpg (227KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_image_549[1].jpg
227KB, 900x450px
>>516235
well maybe not garbage, but his designs surely represent the real world references that he DOESN'T say he's using, especially when he is designing things that don't exist yet and not simply mashing up the things he's already seen and trying to make it look different.
>>
>>516234
>I admire the guy he is a great artist but his teaching approach is wrong.
He's not wrong. You show me someone who got gud without thousands of hours work who isnt lying and isn't one of those severely autistic people
>>
>>516237

So are you saying you cant learn from someone else.
>>
>>516238
?
>>
>>516239

You and him said you have to put 10k hours in to get good. I said you can shortcut that by learning from a pro.
>>
>>516240
I never said 10k, I said multiple thousands. He says that learning from someone else is like watching Kobe Bryant on a dvd telling you how to play basketball - after you're done you're still going to suck. Again, this isnt anon saying this, this is from an elite designer who works in Hollywood and has his own school
>>
>>516241

That explains why people like Ryan Kingslein and Scott Eaton are millionaires. Just doesn't make sense sorry.
>>
>>516242
>That explains why people like Ryan Kingslein and Scott Eaton are millionaires.
Scott Eaton works in hollywood. Its plausible that he's a millionare. Kinglien is shit, we all know that. What are you getting at?

>When not busy with projects and commissions, Scott contributes his expertise to visual effects for film. Recent work includes World War Z, Spielberg’s War Horse, Wrath of the Titans, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Captain America, and Clash of the Titans. Entertainment clients include Pixar, Industrial Light & Magic, Disney, Sony, Warner Bros., Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, and many other visual effects, animation and games studios.
>>
>>516243

They teach classes. People on those classes improve dramatically. What I have been saying all along.
>>
>>516244
>People on those classes improve dramatically
Only if they put thousands of hours in before / during
>>
>>516245

Not true at all. Look up Betty Edwards. She can take complete beginners and have them draw convincing portraits after a weekend.
>>
>>516247
Feng goes into that in earlier episodes, says its hackwork
>>
File: Torture-_Level_Sisyphus_large.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Torture-_Level_Sisyphus_large.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
>>516249

Based Feng is there anything he cant disprove.
>>
>>516251
he's right you know.
>>
I picked up Zbrush over a year ago and I'm still garbage. So I'm probably going to install something on my computer that stops me from browsing the internet more than 30 minutes a day and download Frank Tzang videos and some I brought of uartsy.

If Feng Zhu is correct, then the only way to get good is to grind for hours. So that means I will just have to sleep less, stop going on youtube or watching twich, then put all my free time into zbrush and drawing.
>>
Hey guys, ic fag here, I heard zbr is similar to clay modeling and painting to some degree, is that correct? I'm interested in expanding my spacial understanding to git better in 2d aspect of arts and perchance pick another tool to my arsenal that will help in industry. Any zbrush user here with wacom? Is it better than mouse?
>>
>>516301
sculpting with a mouse is pretty hard, you should get a tablet if you don't have one, even a super cheap one

its similar to physical modeling to a degree since you can do crazy things you can't in clay and you can undo. but obviously you can't touch the model or feel its forms
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.