[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys. o today i got a job offer from a VFX studio as a 3rd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Maya-Logo[1].png (69KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Maya-Logo[1].png
69KB, 256x256px
hey guys. o today i got a job offer from a VFX studio as a 3rd artist but they only use Maya...
i only have experience in 3ds max.

how hard will it be to switch over to Maya from Max?

is maya even good for modeling, i heard its just a meme
>>
Yes its even faster than max if you use the context marking menus.

The only advantage max has is the stack
>>
>>515750
And Maya even has its own form of the stack, which is the dynamic history chain that can be modified through the new Node Editor or the old Connection Editor.
>>
>>515746
depends, it can be a pain in the ass depending on the level your employer expects you to be good at, but not uncommon either, plenty of people have switched softs or use several on daily basis, so no reason you can't do it as well.
If you're an animator it's easy mode
If you're a rigger i hope you love tutorials
>>
>>515746
3rd artist? Didn't know maya was that popular in the vfx apartment.
>>
>>515746
>good for modeling

Uh, Maya is... eh...
Not... THAT bad.

I mean. It's buggy. Makes nonmanifold geometry. Your geometry WILL need cleanup just by using basic functions.
You must take care of your History.
Some features are, like, hidden.
Working without shortcuts is suicide.
Know how to make good use of shortcuts, all of them, ALL OF THEM.
It will still randomly crash, save often.
Some tools are missing or hidden, you can do everything with workarounds, learn workarounds.
Don't an hero.
>>
>>516123
and when I say Hidden, I mean stuff like the old split polygon tool. You can still use it, and there are reason you might want to, instead of Multi-cut.
You must go into scrip editor and type a specific command so it will appear on the shelf.
You will never find out this stuff unless you read about it
>>
>>516124
(cont) oh and good luck finding out that you can only push selected components on their own axis (kind of like a push modifier in Max) manually by pressing ctrl+MidMouseDrag

I found out about this when I watched autodesk videos about "new features" and it has sped up my workflow dramatically. Same goes for the ability to orient pivot and work locally with it. Much much faster modeling.
Point is, if you're a max user and you tried every command in the edit mesh menu you'd probably think "maya doesn't do that".
It does, however it's not in plain sight.

Stuff is tricky.

You want to unwrap something straight?
You must first unfold then straighten borders yourself and then select all non-border points and unfold them. It won't do it otherwise.

In short, you need to be really proficient with the software and know how to do stuff or you'll never be quick accurate and/or efficient
>>
>>516124
>You can still use it, and there are reason you might want to, instead of Multi-cut.
No, there is absolutely no reason to use the old tool actually. And the multi-cut tool is multi functional and gives you real-time feedback of how your cuts are happening, with a nice snapping feature if you hold shift to get evenly spaced increments along your edges. If you hold ctrl it shows you a preview of the edge-loop it will make and will create it.

>>516125
>oh and good luck finding out that you can only push selected components on their own axis
The hell are you talking about? Edit Mesh>Transform, TADA! You have your push modifier, it works on edges, faces or verts and can affect the whole mesh at one or selected components only.

>You must first unfold then straighten borders yourself and then select all non-border points
Select first UV on border, double click select last UV, Polygons > Straighten Boarder, Polygons > Pin Selection., once they're straight do the Unfold. Doesn't really take much time and gives you good control over your results. You'd be tweaking the results in a similar way in Max anyways.
>>
>>515746
hi i am a max user that now works at an exclusively maya company

everything is inside of context sensitive right click menus so it's a memorization game. the first week was disaster but after a month I got the hang of it. expect to do a lot of googling for "maya equalivant of max thing" and softly sobbing that you can't just stack two symmetry modifiers on top of each other
(the smart thing would be to dl Maya beforehand and wrestle with it in your free time)

learn how to make a custom shelf so you can stick buttons for all the custom script stuff you'll gather over time to do useful shit like dot ring/loop select.

good luck uving tho, mayas uv stuff is hot garbage compared to max's and we use a separate program for uvs lol
>>
also idk if it's just anti-maya bias but I had a hell of a time just, selecting things for the first months. lots of cursor wiggling to get the right vert highlighted, nothing really felt right. what's the deal w/ that
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.