[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /3/, I'm using 3DS Max and I ran into a problem. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot (83).png (117KB, 768x532px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (83).png
117KB, 768x532px
Hey /3/, I'm using 3DS Max and I ran into a problem.

I'm trying to get a bunch of cylinders to follow a spline using the spacing tool so they can simulate an ammo belt.

That worked, but I'm trying to have a gradual rotation along the belt, with the last cylinder being rotated 90 degrees from the first cylinder.

I tried fooling around with the spacing tool settings but I couldn't get the result I wanted so I ended up using soft selection. The result is pic related. I sort of got the rotation I wanted, but now most of the cylinders are deformed.

TLDR: Is there any way in 3DS max to clone objects along a path and have a gradual rotation?
>>
File: path.png (156KB, 1608x774px) Image search: [Google]
path.png
156KB, 1608x774px
So I don't know if this answers your question but go to...

> animation > position controllers > path constraint

...and then...
--> select the object you want on the path
--> select the path
...this will add a path constraint to that object + keyframes for that object moving along said path from start to finish.

After that in the motion panel, under "Path Parameters" check the "Follow" box. This will cause the object to follow the bends in the path (NOTE: if the object acts janky you may need to adjust the path handles slightly).

After that:
--> Turn on auto-key
--> Make sure the object is selected (not the path), and make sure you are on the last key (it will have already been created).
--> Make sure your rotating locally and not from view, and rotate the object so it looks like it fits.

After that go to...

> tools > snapshot

...and in the dialog:
--> choose "range"
--> "from" needs to be the starting frame of the objects animation
--> "to" needs to be the ending frame of the objects animation
--> "copies" is the amount of times the object will be cloned along the path (this will vary and you will have to play around with it)
--> make sure "instance" is chosen at the bottom & hit ok.

What you should get is >pic related.

TL;DR
Make a path > use path constraint on the ammo > use the snapshot tool to make copies along the path to create the illusion of an ammo belt.
>>
File: another_angle.png (425KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
another_angle.png
425KB, 640x480px
>>514117
here is a clearer angle of what the result is
>>
>>514117
>>514118
O shit nigga it worked

Thank you so much.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.