[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, totally new into 3d here. I'm using 3dsmax and substance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: normal.jpg (11KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
normal.jpg
11KB, 204x204px
Hello, totally new into 3d here.
I'm using 3dsmax and substance painter. I want to create a normal map for a mesh using the two of these programs. I don't want to do it with zbrush or inside max with progection. I want to do it in substance painter.

Here's is my workflow: I unwrap uvw the low poly mesh and extract as an fbx. Then I apply to the same mesh a turbosmooth (I've got supporting loops etc, it is a same mesh but with a turbosmooth) and uvw unwrap it and save that as an fbx as well.

Then I go to substance paint, load the low res and bake the normal map with adding the extract details from the high res model.
The normal map DOES get created and it DOES get applied inside max to the low res model.
The problem is that that it looks totally off. I don't get the result I want.

tl:dr I want low poly object to look like if it is turbosmoothed, while maintaining the low numbers of polys. How do I do it with substance painter and 3dsmax?
>>
Create high poly of your model in 3ds max and bake it to the low poly, but you have zbrush so make use of it to bake out cool normal & ao maps, I wish I had zbrush.
>>
>>513743
Do you use a cage? Do you have the right settings? What exactly looks off? Show pictures in SP and in Max. Also settings.
Why not bake in Max?
I use Substance Designer to bake because i work in C4d and its native baking tools are shit.
No problems importing all kind of normal maps into C4d.
Whats your excuse for not using Max baking tools?
>>
File: lowToHigh.jpg (596KB, 1881x876px) Image search: [Google]
lowToHigh.jpg
596KB, 1881x876px
>>513808

I want to understand normal maps. Simple question, look at pic related:
Can I turn object (A) to project (B) without increasing polycount by using projection and cage?
It is the shame sphere only that the (B) sphere has Turbosmooth applied.
>>
Unfortunately no. Normal maps do not change the silhouette of a model. The normal map workflow is to make the low poly match as close to the highpoly as possible. This is why normal maps are better for things like walls.
>>
File: surfacepath.jpg (33KB, 527x527px) Image search: [Google]
surfacepath.jpg
33KB, 527x527px
>>514681
There´s two ways to increase a polygon count in render only: turning off a tesselate/turbosmooth like deformer, or using surface path based models - those can be elastically deformed by their vertices, and can increase the polycount automatically during render only- pic related.
>>
File: displacement render.jpg (122KB, 1305x783px) Image search: [Google]
displacement render.jpg
122KB, 1305x783px
>>514705
However, if you´re using MENTALRAY, the texture slot for DISPLACEMENT can - and will - increase the polycount of the model in accordance with the bitmap given. Rendertime is increase, but you achieve the effect you´re looking for.
>>
File: tommy_gun.jpg (63KB, 745x806px) Image search: [Google]
tommy_gun.jpg
63KB, 745x806px
Just another Gun WIP for my Platoon.
>>
>>514756
Whoops, Posted in wrong thread.
>>
>>514756

nice youre gonna make it broski
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.